Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The latest chapter is ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think the chapter is also fine, I'm just confused as to how Vegeta's destruction ball somehow managed to nearly hit the city. They weren't anywhere near it until the end of the chapter. None of the other panels showed the city in the background.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
:nws: for body paint

https://i.imgur.com/MZGDJLq.png

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think there's really anything wrong with the current chapters, it's just that the current release schedule is so slow that kills all sense of momentum stone dead and leads to frustration as you're forced to wait a month for each individual plot beat to be doled out.

If you actually look at the content of each chapter then the story does truck along at a reasonable pace, it's just that the way in which they choose to release it makes the act of reading it feel like wading through treacle. Like, I'm fairly lukewarm on this arc by now and Gas is an exceptionally poor villain by any reasonable metric but there's still enough cool moments and panels sprinkled in each chapter to keep me entertained, it's just incredibly frustrating that I have to wait 30 days for a 5 minute read. If they stuck to a weekly or fortnightly release then a lot of these issues would be much easier to overlook.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Toriyama is busy nowadays

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think the biggest problem isn't that it's so bad as much as it's what the point of the story now? The manga is just milking the name to accomplish nothing new or interesting.

DB has been around for so long and it was such a big deal to be brought back, but this kinda feels like they might as well go on hiatus again until new ideas are developed. It's basically Brock vs Roman Reigns again, with slightly new skins.

As for why I still read, it's barely a 5 minute investment per chapter and I keep hope alive that they'll do something interesting. Instead though, I think this spinning in circles is likely to dampen the brand to younger audiences if they keep saturating the pool of characters with boring additions like Gas and Granolah.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The manga has always felt like it’s written by a Reddit user who’s obsessed with justifying everything and using numerical power levels so everything is logical and it’s loving boring as poo poo and leads to awful garbage like the ToP. The anime succeeded by not giving a gently caress and just letting people do cool poo poo

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

RevolverDivider posted:

The manga has always felt like it’s written by a Reddit user who’s obsessed with justifying everything and using numerical power levels so everything is logical and it’s loving boring as poo poo and leads to awful garbage like the ToP. The anime succeeded by not giving a gently caress and just letting people do cool poo poo

This. It's specially apparent in the Future Trunks arc where Future Trunks is not allowed to have any plot relevance in his own Future Trunks arc because that just wouldn't make any sense that he could keep up with Goku and Vegeta no you are relegated to medic role while Goku pulls a Hakai out of his rear end that is never brought up again because it goes against his Ultra Instinct training

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Similarly, would a super saiyan goku barely able to maintain his form be able to

1)output anywhere near Golden frieza in a similar state

2)do anything to jiren

Doesn't matter. It looked cool.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Also see Black in the manga being a worthless chump and Kefla losing to loving Gohan

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kefla was so much cooler. She really felt like a big deal and it took Goku going into UI sign to beat her. She had some cool attacks and had goku do the tony hawk grind Kamehameha.

The loving manga had Kefla actually become weaker as a a result of the fusion, which made zero sense and she did absolutely nothing. The manga ToP was dogshit, other than some cool roshi moments.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 20, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I don't think Dragon Ball Multiverse is that bad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

Also see Black in the manga being a worthless chump and Kefla losing to loving Gohan

Second one is a feature, not a bug

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you assume Kefla is as powerful as she was in the TOP, that means Gohan is one of the most powerful people alive in Universe 7

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Kefla Gohan fight is loving garbage and Goku vs Kefla is one of the best fights in the franchise.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

If you assume Kefla is as powerful as she was in the TOP, that means Gohan is one of the most powerful people alive in Universe 7

isn't that already true

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

You can almost count on one hand how many people in U7 are stronger than Gohan, and even neglecting training, he's never all that far behind

1. Whis
2. Beerus
3. Broly
4. Goku
5. Vegeta
6. Frieza
7. Gohan

I guess the inclusion of Granolah and Gas knock him down a bit further, but he's still a beast

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 20, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

I mean this is objectively true. Even lovely Barely Trains Gohan is still comfortably in the top 5 at almost all times. Him not being as strong as he *was* doesn't change the fact he is still abhorrently strong compared to everyone who isn't him except Goku and Vegeta (plus eventually Broly and Frieza)

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Gohan is the second most powerful jobber in the entire universe

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Poorly worded

I meant, even more so. Gohan as powerful as Kefla was in the anime would put him above anyone else in U7 except UI Goku.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Burkion posted:

Poorly worded

I meant, even more so. Gohan as powerful as Kefla was in the anime would put him above anyone else in U7 except UI Goku.

As it should be

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

MVGA

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

UI Goku ain't poo poo any more.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ultra MAGA Vegeta

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I feel like 17 is competing with or possibly above Gohan, since 17 is shown to be able to give an extremely decent fight against blue Goku and he actively keeps up with his training and self-improvement even before you start counting the whole "has infinite energy" thing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

I feel like 17 is competing with or possibly above Gohan, since 17 is shown to be able to give an extremely decent fight against blue Goku and he actively keeps up with his training and self-improvement even before you start counting the whole "has infinite energy" thing.

Nah, I'm pretty sure Gohan is significantly above 17 power-wise. It's just that 17 has something very rarely found in Universe 7: a working brain. Gohan...has that in several areas, but fighting is absolutely not one of them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Him, the planet, or his dad?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kanos posted:

Gohan did as well against blue Goku and survived him going all out instead of just sparring like he did with 17. I think 17 is next on the list though, as they were the only ones who could hang with blue. Then, Piccolo, maybe? Then at the bottom, Yamcha then Tenshinhan.

The manga also has the issue of not having the slice of life stuff that made the anime fun. It's just fight fight fight, which is pretty boring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

17 is strong but like 18 his big thing is that he has infinite power so he can keep going all out even while everyone else is fuckin' tapped. That is why in the final fight he's the only one who has anything left to shoot beams with while Frieza, Goku and Jiren are pretty much entirely physical aside from Jiren's eye thing.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Electric Phantasm posted:

Him, the planet, or his dad?

Yes

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ImpAtom posted:

17 is strong but like 18 his big thing is that he has infinite power so he can keep going all out even while everyone else is fuckin' tapped. That is why in the final fight he's the only one who has anything left to shoot beams with while Frieza, Goku and Jiren are pretty much entirely physical aside from Jiren's eye thing.

Yeah, I like where 17/18 are in the series now. They're never going to finish off anyone, but they're perfect for situations like the ToP where you need endurance in spades. It makes them unique compared to the rest of the cast

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
17 and 18 are also probably stronger, out right. Easily SSJ2-SSJ3 level.

So that, going all out, full blast without tiring

It's not nothing. Especially with how clever 17 is and his defenses. Won't save you against overwhelming power but it'll make you a pain.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Didn't Piccolo beat up Gohan right before the ToP to properly communicate how much he'd been slacking?

So depending on how much Gohan's been keeping up on training now and how effective Piccolo's training has been lately, he might be above him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain France posted:

Didn't Piccolo beat up Gohan right before the ToP to properly communicate how much he'd been slacking?

So depending on how much Gohan's been keeping up on training now and how effective Piccolo's training has been lately, he might be above him.

Piccolo beat up Gohan to inspire Gohan to go Ultimate again, then Gohan was dramatically superior to him. Piccolo did catch Gohan with a cheap shot after getting owned by Ultimate Gohan as a reminder to Gohan to not be a dumbass and let his guard down, but Piccolo was in no way on Gohan's level at that point.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gohan was very good at fighting up until the post cell timeskip and him becoming a dumbass has more to do with toryiama getting worn down by the clusterfuck that was the buu saga and the Goku lobbyists.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Piccolo is finally getting a new upgrade come Super Hero.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I wouldn't say Gohan was ever actually good at fighting, he was mostly just about totally overpowering his opponent for a brief moment and then getting his rear end beat. Or in Cell's case, overpowering them and then playing with them, causing everything to get way worse. Kind of like what happened with Buu really.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

iamsosmrt posted:

UI Goku ain't poo poo any more.

That's the risk you run when introducing an incomplete and mastered form in one arc and then immediately make it able to be tapped into in the next arc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

I wouldn't say Gohan was ever actually good at fighting, he was mostly just about totally overpowering his opponent for a brief moment and then getting his rear end beat. Or in Cell's case, overpowering them and then playing with them, causing everything to get way worse. Kind of like what happened with Buu really.

Gohan was absolutely good at fighting. He was able to keep up with his dad and Piccolo without just focusing on raw power. He just didn't like fighting so he didn't keep up with it because he is a nerd who likes to study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The sushi place I go to is doing a promo for the upcoming Dragon Ball film where you can win random characters with dinner and I got Gohan so thats like losing twice, really.

Fingers crossed based on promo material its the Gohan Picollo show for a father and son spiral beam