Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

crondaily posted:

All 3 are multiplayer FPS games.

Yeah and Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, and King of Fighters are all 2D versus fighting games. What’s your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Pedantry is a must in this thread

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

drrockso20 posted:

TF2 is only slow if you're not playing as a Scout or Medic and/or haven't figured out Explosive Jumping as a Soldier or Demo-Man, and even with the other classes it's really only Heavy whose lack of speed really stands out

For runspeed yeah (although base runspeed is still on the slow side), but then there's things like how slow nearly all projectiles move and the game favoring shotguns over machine guns; the only rapid fire guns have major drawbacks like constantly having to reload (pistol, SMG, needlegun), being incredibly lovely as an offensive tool (SMG, needlegun), or making you a big dumb almost-stationary target (minigun).

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Holding a grudge against Halo 22 years after the fact is downright bizarre.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Disproportionation posted:

It's always relevant

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Never forget your enemy.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I hold a grudge against Ronald Reagan and he both left office before I was born and has been dead for nearly two decades, Halo is minor league by comparison

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is someone disparaging my boy Halo 1???? Eh its no Halo 2.

Halo 2 taught me multiplayer in FPS games could just, like, work, to create good matches and it also washed the stink of Half-Life 2 off my brain.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Barudak posted:

Halo 2 taught me multiplayer in FPS games could just, like, work, to create good matches and it also washed the stink of Half-Life 2 off my brain.

:mods:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I enjoyed the first 3 Halo games but all the criticism about them is true.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Ban this fucker

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Lol halo lmao.

Edit: halo 2 lmao, no thank you.

Quake deathmatch is good, hl deathmatch is good. Goldeneye everything is good. Playing on n64 with correct n64 pad usage is, in fact, good and cool. Playing goldeneye and pd on anything but a n64 pad is bad and wrong

Good fps are good and halos are bad all of them.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 21, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Halo 2 multiplayer is good, actually. You can quote this as an official Nightdive statement.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Barudak posted:

it also washed the stink of Half-Life 2 off my brain.

jesus christ

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Barudak posted:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I remember in halo 2 there could be more than 2 teams and infinite doesn’t have that so infinite is bad for that reason and several more.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I also remember the halo 2 launch being an actual event, with radio ads and big displays at stores and midnight launch parties. We don’t have any of those things anymore.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I never got the chance to play Halo 2 MP until the Master Chief Collection, but from my experience it's all Battle Rifles all the time because it's the only weapon worth using.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Grimthwacker posted:

I never got the chance to play Halo 2 MP until the Master Chief Collection, but from my experience it's all Battle Rifles all the time because it's the only weapon worth using.

That's pretty much what it was back in the day, too, because there was a glitch that let you cancel a melee into a hipshot for guaranteed kills at point-blank range

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Yeah and Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, and King of Fighters are all 2D versus fighting games. What’s your point?

Dude said comparing them is silly, they're all in the same genre lol

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

How did Tim Willits ever get so high up in Id Software anyway? He did less apparent work and made inferior levels to Romero or Petersen.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

How did Tim Willits ever get so high up in Id Software anyway? He did less apparent work and made inferior levels to Romero or Petersen.

i hear he used the elevator

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Convex posted:

i hear he used the elevator

Slept his way to the top you say? I heard he could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch so that makes sense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Slept his way to the top you say? I heard he could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch so that makes sense.

Congrats, took a good joke and made it bad.

Convex: :golfclap:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rocket Pan posted:

Halo 2 multiplayer is good, actually. You can quote this as an official Nightdive statement.

Woolie Wool posted:

He played the office politics game hard.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Rocket Pan posted:

Yeah, Halo 2 was good.

If you didn't have a PC because :lmao: Halo 2 mp vs UT99/UT2K4/Quake 3/Wolf ET or the legion of Half-Life mods.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Will always hold a grudge for FPS becoming a console-centric genre (for a time at least).

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

crondaily posted:

Dude said comparing them is silly, they're all in the same genre lol

halo and ut99/q3 aren't really in the same genre. they're fps games but that's where the commonalities stop

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

An Actual Princess posted:

halo and ut99/q3 aren't really in the same genre. they're fps games but that's where the commonalities stop

They are multiplayer fps games that share similar modes, weapon types, kill streak announcements, etc.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Rocket Pan posted:

Remaster The Unholy War!!!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My favorite genre of FPS is "has announcer and guns"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

My favorite genre of FPS is "has announcer and guns"
it's a very good subgenre, to be fair, especially if the announcer has has a deep bassy voice and gets super hype when you do cool stuff

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

crondaily posted:

They are multiplayer fps games that share similar modes, weapon types, kill streak announcements, etc.

ut99/q3 don't have a singleplayer campaign, and halo isn't "a multiplayer fps". their design goals and target audiences are radically different. everything about them is different other than that you shoot.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Kins posted:

it's a very good subgenre, to be fair, especially if the announcer has has a deep bassy voice and gets super hype when you do cool stuff

Holy poo poo!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Baron von Eevl posted:

Holy poo poo!

M-M-M-M-MONSTERRR KILLLL

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've played 2000+ hours of UT99, and not a single hour was spent in multiplayer. UT99 has no singleplayer, yet it is simultaneously the most robust singleplayer imaginable. When I die and my life flashes before my eyes, the only discernible scenes will be UT99 by sheer volume alone.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Anybody remember the announcer from Perfect Dark Zero?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've played 2000+ hours of UT99, and not a single hour was spent in multiplayer. UT99 has no singleplayer, yet it is simultaneously the most robust singleplayer imaginable. When I die and my life flashes before my eyes, the only discernible scenes will be UT99 by sheer volume alone.

oh, its bots are incredible, but it's not really a campaign the way something like halo has. i also spent tons of time in singleplayer ut99

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

An Actual Princess posted:

oh, its bots are incredible, but it's not really a campaign the way something like halo has. i also spent tons of time in singleplayer ut99

I don't play games for their campaign, I play them to kill nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Unreal 1 is the UT campaign. Not only was UT originally an expansion pack for it, you can install the Unreal scenario in UT with minimal modding work and play through it with the new weapons and auto-taunt the aliens when you kill them