Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

Dorothy would say “Monya, your house doesn’t have a sofa! You’ve got to get one!” and then Monya would say “Well then, I have to get a sofa license” because in Oz for some reason you have to take an exam and get a license to have a sofa.

Release the Sofa License Cut.

Thank you for posting Monya. It was incredibly good, one of my favorite things that's been posted in any of these threads. As I said before, it started out just seeming like a silly Wizard of Oz parody and that would have been fine on its own, but what it turned into was something truly special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vargo posted:

Sinatra's team actually fails in the original Ocean's. The money accidentally gets put into an incinerator or something like that?

It gets hidden in a coffin with the idea of digging it up after the funeral (iirc) and then the entire coffin gets conveyor belted into a crematorium as they watch helplessly.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

qrais saved himself from an rear end-beating... this time.....

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Don Bluth Online Animals

Once Again It's All About Eating

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I'm getting Chuck Jones vibes from that second panel.

And thank you for posting Monya! It was way better than I was expecting when it began.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (November 17-19, 1938)

I'm more invested in this than any financial news.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And now, the moment of truth, when Our Boarding House meets its destiny. (January 26-28, 1922)

It was one hundred years ago this past January that one of the defining characters of the 20th century newspaper comics was brought onto the stage. From humble beginnings, he became so dominant that in the mid-1930s his creator was hired away by King Features to make a knock-off version that looked and acted almost exactly like the original.

Hearst had a reason for that investment, because for the American comics page, our newcomer would define a bloviator of Munchausenesque dimensions.

HE IS...MAJOR AMOS HOOPLE.

AND HE IS...a lot shorter than I remember him.

I dunno, buddy, you tell me...maybe he started wearing lifts just before the Depression kicked in.

Anyway, stick around for the journey, because from this point we get to watch another cartoonist figure out that he's created a star.

Toonerville Folks (April 14-16, 1919)

Dok's Scuttled Duck (February 25, 1914)

Little Lefty (August 31-September 2, 1936)

Blondie From Zero (February 22-24, 1932)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Haifisch posted:

And by popular demand, I'm gonna be posting Wizard of Id and Beetle Bailey for a week, because why not

I was more interested in Annie personally. But it's OK, I'm two days behind on the thread and missed my chance to ask for a birthday present :(

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True May 23, 1919

And He Did! June 3, 1919

Cat Tales May 5, 1925

Oaky Doaks October 31, 1936

Mopsy January 10, 1938

Up Front April 30, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems July 22, 1952

Those Were the Days September 15, 1960

Wee Pals July 25, 1966

Dogbert April 26, 1967

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Didn’t this character end up being gay later in the comic? Or bisexual? Maybe a confusing stage?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slammy posted:

Did 1950s children really love school? Stephen King taught me that the did not.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

I'm glad people have enjoyed Monya! (And I hope the way he ended it means people don't have to beat up Q-Rais - I quite like the way it ends here, with the bittersweet ambiguity of the last page.) It's definitely one of my favorite comics I've translated.

I'm a bit behind on the other comics I'm posting, but they didn't seem to mesh with the tone of the last couple chapters here - I'll have a new Night Visitors up tomorrow.

Because I think they're interesting, here are some of Q-Rais' author comments on the last couple chapters:

And as I've said, unfortunately there is no official English translation, but if you want to toss some money Q-Rais' way, I can vouch for the fact that the collected print edition is a very nice object, plus it has a cute extra comic about Toto organizing Monya's 16th birthday party.

Thank you for bringing us Monya, and thank you for not posting that first comic on its own, separate from the other two because i think that would have incited a riot. It was a really enjoyable series and I kind of wish QRais had done the sofa side quest lol. I respect his decision to keep things brief, though.

Also in general, thank you very much for bringing us so much QRais, his style of art & writing is so nice

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ryde posted:

Didn’t this character end up being gay later in the comic? Or bisexual? Maybe a confusing stage?

they showed him briefly with a guy much much later on but i think it was towards the end of the comic so there was never any real follow up on it, "he likes guys and also girls" or "he turned out to just like guys" or otherwise

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ryde posted:

rannum has it right, but also, note that a lot of this storyline is about Sonny feeling like his experience of puberty and attraction is disconnected from people he's growing up with. My read of it and later stuff as someone queer is that he's both a bit of a late bloomer in terms of feeling sexual attraction but he's also noticing that things aren't quite matching up with how things are 'supposed to be'. There's that earlier strip where his parents are teasing him about girlfriends and his little sister is marrying her teddy bear and the thing about that isn't just that it's pushing romance on him but heteronormative romance. And that's an easy period in life to go along with having a 'crush' on someone of the opposite sex because that's what everyone is talking about and how things are 'supposed' to work, a thing I also did when I was about his age instead of admitting I'm a lesbian. Here comes 'Ellen', a lovely, beautiful girl that depends on him and they have a literally magical connection, except the entire storyline is about that not being a good thing and Sonny never actually ends up as anything but platonic with her. As soon as he's feeling out the idea of 'am I attracted to her?' he notices she's illiterate and his nascent attraction just immediately flips to concern for her.

I'm actually really interested in if Allison already intended Sonny to be gay at this point, because that adds another layer to the storyline quite neatly.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

I'm glad people have enjoyed Monya! (And I hope the way he ended it means people don't have to beat up Q-Rais - I quite like the way it ends here, with the bittersweet ambiguity of the last page.) It's definitely one of my favorite comics I've translated.

It probably goes without saying by now, but thanks for posting Monya! I loved it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
Due to semi-popular demand, I'm also going to be posting Annie.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 13, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

EasyEW posted:

HE IS...MAJOR AMOS HOOPLE.

AND HE IS...a lot shorter than I remember him.
You can’t fool me, that’s Sydney and the Hat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Say, this O'Bannion fellow seems like a nice fellow..., or Vittorio has no respect for personal property, or REVENGE FOR PROMETHEUS!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

That's a daring first-panel gag for the comics page.

Get Fuzzy 5/20/02

We've got a couple weeks of this coming up.

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 10/11-13/48

Man, Mr. A. Natural sure went from faintly amusing weirdo to creepy stalker in the blink of an eye, didn't he?

Smokey Stover 1/11/48

Wonder if the hand in the last panel is related to the superstition of saying "rabbit rabbit rabbit" at the start of a year for good luck.

Everyday Movies 3/4/35

"-- and don't stay out all day with that umbrella, Duke, I might need it myself."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

mad as heck that daddy daze got a laugh out of me

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy 1947

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

mad as heck that daddy daze got a laugh out of me

there's no "ba ba" so it's one of the best by default

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: Uncle Happy

The part of every Modesty Blaise story where she and Willie finally get the chance to get going and everything falls apart for the villains is always so much fun to read.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Sinatra's team actually fails in the original Ocean's. The money accidentally gets put into an incinerator or something like that?

What exactly is an EMF reader anyway? Is it basically just a radio?

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "228 - Jucika Meets Gagarin"

"Yuri Gagarin received the Order of the Flag of the Republic of Hungary award on August 21st."

I'd be excited to meet Yuri too. Aside from being the first person in space, he was super cute.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Thank you for posting Monya, it was a delight. Like others, I would love to see the sofa saga some day... They're together again now, so maybe he can do some one-off slice of life strips as a side thing. Only if he wants to, of course. :3: Also I have to say I appreciate the idea of just magic-ing through the time paradox problem. The whole point of magic is that it lets characters do impossible things, so why not?

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

Stupid sexy [Bootsie's friend whose name I don't know]!

PetraCore posted:

(Bad Machinery spoilers) rannum has it right, but also, note that a lot of this storyline is about Sonny feeling like his experience of puberty and attraction is disconnected from people he's growing up with. My read of it and later stuff as someone queer is that he's both a bit of a late bloomer in terms of feeling sexual attraction but he's also noticing that things aren't quite matching up with how things are 'supposed to be'. There's that earlier strip where his parents are teasing him about girlfriends and his little sister is marrying her teddy bear and the thing about that isn't just that it's pushing romance on him but heteronormative romance. And that's an easy period in life to go along with having a 'crush' on someone of the opposite sex because that's what everyone is talking about and how things are 'supposed' to work, a thing I also did when I was about his age instead of admitting I'm a lesbian. Here comes 'Ellen', a lovely, beautiful girl that depends on him and they have a literally magical connection, except the entire storyline is about that not being a good thing and Sonny never actually ends up as anything but platonic with her. As soon as he's feeling out the idea of 'am I attracted to her?' he notices she's illiterate and his nascent attraction just immediately flips to concern for her.

I'm actually really interested in if Allison already intended Sonny to be gay at this point, because that adds another layer to the storyline quite neatly.

I read this story the first time having heard that Sonny is gay but hasn't figured it out yet, and I feel like it works.

Vintage Valiant (May 13, 1951)

I wasn't aware of the papacy having ever resided in Ravenna, and I did some quick searching just in case and didn't find anything, so I think this is just something Hal is making up. Unless the idea is that the pope is on a trip, rather than having moved permanently.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Giant Ethicist posted:

Thanks for posting this! It might be my favorite thing that's been posted in these threads so far

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Slammy posted:

Buddy, I hated for school to start every goddamned year. We always started just after Labor Day, and those last few days were like waiting for your execution.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
N-thing the Monya love. Thanks for posting and translating it~

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Thanks for posting this! It might be my favorite thing that's been posted in these threads so far

People keep saying this. I'm going to go back and read it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 1/11/48

Wonder if the hand in the last panel is related to the superstition of saying "rabbit rabbit rabbit" at the start of a year for good luck.
I heard it was the beginning of each month. Anyways, neither fits the date of the cartoon, so I don't know what that's about. Usually the puns and gags he puts in the background make some kind of sense, although Notary Sojac is apparently complete nonsense, so maybe not.

Medenmath posted:

What exactly is an EMF reader anyway? Is it basically just a radio?
I'd try to explain it, but it's unbelievable.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Why does Rusty have all that cricket powder?

Mary Worth

It may appear to be a reused panel, but Mary changed the curtains.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Why does Rusty have all that cricket powder?

I assume as part of the travel for the story they're staying at a house Happy or the Bros own and the Bros would have it or they'd gift it to Happy.

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

I choose to believe that the Sweeper is either about to get these guys to trip and pratfall on some floor waxer or he's going to bluff them out by threatening to mix ammonia and bleach or something else wonderfully stupid that only a crime-fighting janitor would pull. :allears: I wonder how it feels as a long term story strip(like Trail) to be getting beaten out by modern Rex Morgan?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

What a clever way to avoid taking the trouble of drawing identifiable vegetables. I see why goons fall all over themselves praising this strip. Here's Bettwy's other work of genius, Sales:

Still love him?

Anyway, here's Sunday Apartment 3-g

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

It took getting banned from the bowling alley for life for me to learn this but the holes in a bowling ball are only for your fingers/thumb

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 13, 1951)

I wasn't aware of the papacy having ever resided in Ravenna, and I did some quick searching just in case and didn't find anything, so I think this is just something Hal is making up. Unless the idea is that the pope is on a trip, rather than having moved permanently.

Hal may be talking about the Exarchate of Ravenna and the Byzantine Papacy, which when the Byzantine Emporer appointed the Pope, but I don't think the Pope ever resided in Ravenna.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Gasser edition)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Darthemed posted:

You can’t fool me, that’s Sydney and the Hat.

Don't blow my cover, Dark Medic. The mob wants to break my kneecaps.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 24, 1975)

And the payoff for this week's Funky Winkerbean nonsense: old age incontinence.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which Wimpy knows a bad deal when he sees one. (December 21, 1938)

Out Our Way (November 21-23, 1938; timg'd for the usual reasons.)