Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
im painting up some chaos terminators as word bearers. i got one of them what i thought was complete, until i noticed the unpainted power fist lmao, gently caress. also used too much agrax earthshade on him accidentally(im still learning). also how do you guys paint your spess marine eyes? i tried white but it doesn't look great.

and this is a dark prophet i finished the other day that im just super proud of. i would like if someone could link me a good video on highlighting skin, i can't seem to find anything decent on miniatures but i also dont really know what to look for. i hosed up on the cultist on the left's robe by putting way too wet of paint on and tried slopping it off and didn't wait long enough before trying to slop gold onto the pendant and chain and brown onto the pendant rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's WIP Wednesday!

What you got going on?

I'm giving a lot of thought as to what model I want to build and paint next in between games of Elden Ring.

It's currently between a Deathwatch Hellblaster from the Mentor Legion and a Deatwatch Redemptor Dreadnought from the Space Wolves (Grimblood Great Company).

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Working up my own version of Armor Through the Ages:

The resin Mk II and III sculpts kinda suck to work with.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Drybrushing with a warm off-white colour definitely helps with contrast paints, but if you want to take it a step further you can also take a dark wash and wash the entire model as well (and then drybrush again if you want, or just do it all afterwards). That'll really accentuate the shadows and give you, well, more contrast as the end result.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Loden Taylor posted:

Working up my own version of Armor Through the Ages:

My favorite chapter, my favorite color. That looks great!

What's your method for that yellow, especially on the last one if they're different.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's WIP Wednesday!
What you got going on?

Testing different methods of attaching clump foliage to WS trees. Sadly CA-by-hand is roundly beating out Hobb-e-Tac, hot glue, or 3M spray adhesive.

Trees are a pain in the rear end.

But I feel like I'm at the point where my tables are letting down my minis, so time to grind for skill.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm working on trees too! But I need a riverbed for it first, don't want it to get thirsty

Basing is so relaxing, really puts me in a Bob Ross state of mind :unsmith:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
No pictures, but my WIP is a Delaque gang I zenithaled and am trying Speedpaints with. Having never used Contrast / Speed paiints before, it is very scary and different. But not bad!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

My Spirit Otter posted:

im painting up some chaos terminators as word bearers. i got one of them what i thought was complete, until i noticed the unpainted power fist lmao, gently caress. also used too much agrax earthshade on him accidentally(im still learning). also how do you guys paint your spess marine eyes? i tried white but it doesn't look great.

and this is a dark prophet i finished the other day that im just super proud of. i would like if someone could link me a good video on highlighting skin, i can't seem to find anything decent on miniatures but i also dont really know what to look for. i hosed up on the cultist on the left's robe by putting way too wet of paint on and tried slopping it off and didn't wait long enough before trying to slop gold onto the pendant and chain and brown onto the pendant rope.

Yeah, white gets a bit lost for the eyes there, and because of that it also then doesn’t look purposeful so much as unpainted.

You can always try eyes that contrast with your primary color. In your case, that would be a green (probably mid to light green).

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Chill la Chill posted:

I am looking for a paint mixer/agitator machine. What are the recommended ones? Mostly use Vallejo/reaper, sometimes GW, if bottle shape matters.

Make sure you grab something to put in the pots to help agitate the pigment. The machines on their own were nowhere near as effective without something in the pot. A few companies sell little stainless steel balls to drop in.

I was thinking about trying to do a metallic zenithal because I'm painting Necrons. I'm using Vallejo Metals. I was thinking Gunmetal grey or steel as my "black" duraluminum as my "grey" and white aluminium as my "white". Just wondering if anyone has done something similar and how you liked the look. Otherwise I'm just going to under paint them like normal. Zenithal highlighting is a great way to practise using my airbrush.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 18, 2022

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

TotalHell posted:

Yeah, white gets a bit lost for the eyes there, and because of that it also then doesn’t look purposeful so much as unpainted.

You can always try eyes that contrast with your primary color. In your case, that would be a green (probably mid to light green).

:hmmyes:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Hoboskins posted:

I was thinking about trying to do a metallic zenithal because I'm painting Necrons. I'm using Vallejo Metals. I was thinking Gunmetal grey or steel as my "black" duraluminum as my "grey" and white aluminium as my "white". Just wondering if anyone has done something similar and how you liked the look.

Yep, Vince has you covered

https://youtu.be/ByX2jIEmXJM

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

My favorite chapter, my favorite color. That looks great!

What's your method for that yellow, especially on the last one if they're different.

Desert Tan Vallejo primer with an Averland Sunset base. Then recess shade with Agrax Earthshade, midtone layer 50/50 Averland Sunset/Yriel Yellow, and highlight Yriel Yellow with a second pass of Flash Gitz on the sharp edges. I ended up doing a second recess shade in spots with Nuln Oil - for the next one I might try a mix of Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade to get a deeper brown shade without going full black. Could probably also push the contrast further with the yellow by doing a straight Yriel Yellow mid and an even brighter highlight.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Had the urge to paint for the first time in a few months so I went through my pile of shame and found something to work on. Here's a WIP on a necron model:

Following Richard Gray's tips on painting metal. I like how battered it looks, but I'm not quite happy with the green orbs. Not sure what to do with them, what do you think?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think it'd be better if it wasn't solid green. Maybe a blend into a paler green or yellow would work.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ok all done for the monthly painting contest. Things I learned: the fluorescent blue kinda sucks and isn't bright enough. NMM is tricky but I'm getting the hang of it on flatter surfaces. Glaze medium is really useful.

edit also holy god looking at things hyper zoomed in is terrifying

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 19, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eej posted:

I think it'd be better if it wasn't solid green. Maybe a blend into a paler green or yellow would work.

fluourescent yellow ink in the middle then blended down to that green

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

WIP Wednesday!

I'm rehabilitating my Knights! They got dropped and hosed up in a move, but they're going to walk again soon.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

So im painting this guy up and im unsure how to proceed with the horns, im thinking the same iron for the inside but am unsure how to paint the outside of them and would appreciate suggestions

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Off-white bone color then light to dark brown in the recesses is a pretty classic color scheme for horns. Could throw some spot and/or edge highlights on of your off-white bone color mixed 1:1 with pure white. Could also wash or contrast paint to hit the recesses, all just depends on what paints you have available to you.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Thanks, i like the bone and brown idea

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Verisimilidude posted:

Following Richard Gray's tips on painting metal. I like how battered it looks, but I'm not quite happy with the green orbs. Not sure what to do with them, what do you think?

I think you need more of that green in other places. The runes on the side of the carapace for example. Maybe break up the single-tone metallic scheme some; adding some chrome to the joints and/or going gold on the tubing behind the hips would make everything stand out more.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Multipost!

the fart question fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 19, 2022

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

Had the urge to paint for the first time in a few months so I went through my pile of shame and found something to work on. Here's a WIP on a necron model:

Love the simplicity and stark contrast- the green looks great imo.

Y’all got a link to that article? I’m painting one of these too, and have an ok technique for making the metal look battered but I’m keen to see how others do it. I’m away from home so don’t have a pic to share

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

the fart question posted:

Love the simplicity and stark contrast- the green looks great imo.

I'm going for simplicity! It looks a lot more contrasted in person as well, still figuring out how to take decent photos at home.

I may look up some orb painting guides and see what people recommend.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

So im painting this guy up and im unsure how to proceed with the horns, im thinking the same iron for the inside but am unsure how to paint the outside of them and would appreciate suggestions

I’m a big fan of Rakarth flesh as a base for bone. As an aside, did you prime that? It looks a little like you may be painting on bare plastic 🤔

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally got this guy caught up with the Imperium magazine walkthrough. :grin:

Of course there's more to do later when more issues come in, but still good atm.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Took a better photo of my rotten boy. These have aged into a different shade from ~6 months ago. I don't know if that's the contrast paints or the heavy dry brushing or a combo of the two, but it's interesting.

Theoretically if I wanted to redo them, how would I go about stripping them? I've tried Simple Green soaks before and it didn't really work well, even soaking for 4 days and scrubbing with a brush under running water.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Mr Teatime posted:

I’m a big fan of Rakarth flesh as a base for bone. As an aside, did you prime that? It looks a little like you may be painting on bare plastic 🤔

it is primed in rustoleum bbq finish, so the base coat is good up to like 600f, but the led lights im using really washes the finish out.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

the base coat is good up to like 600f

:hmmyes:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marx Headroom posted:

I'm working on trees too! But I need a riverbed for it first, don't want it to get thirsty

Basing is so relaxing, really puts me in a Bob Ross state of mind :unsmith:

You know it really was when I did it. It was fun to just be sprinkling grass and placing rocks and I can definitely understand the Bob Ross feeling.

I can’t wait to do a snow one.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bucnasti posted:

Finished up a couple of transports for my Renegade Guard army.

<def not the pizza launcher>

from the thumbnails I thought you recreated the TMNT Pizza launcher

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

EVIL Gibson posted:

from the thumbnails I thought you recreated the TMNT Pizza launcher

Anyone ork-ified one of these yet?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Awesome idea. Also reminded of an old TMNT toy series that had figures wearing stomach strapped piZza ovens that would shoot zas

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That would be cool too

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Has Uncle Atom lost his mind?

https://youtu.be/1QynxOQfy8c

Storing an airbrush fully submerged in water? It sounds nuts to me.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
He's not the first person I've seen do that, but it does feel a little wild to me as well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Kinda sounds like the "wet docking" thing that people who use industrial-sized airbrushes do sometimes (leaving it submerged in cleaning solution) but it seems like you'd get pretty negligible benefits from soaking in water like that. You'd have to use distilled water to make sure you don't get any weird mineral buildup or have any impurities that could attack imperfections in the stainless steel (silicone or rubber gaskets should be fine in theory, though) and the loose paint still has to go somewhere, which might include just getting re-deposited in even more annoying spots. It would also probably strip any lubricant so you'd have to redo that every time too - seems like a lot of potential risk to save, what, a minute or two of cleaning?

I really don't get why so many people act like airbrush maintenance is this huge pain in the rear end lol, it's really not that bad.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I really don't get why so many people act like airbrush maintenance is this huge pain in the rear end lol, it's really not that bad.

The first time was really scary but yeah it's easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
A couple of commission painters I know do the same thing. They leave their airbrush in a glass with heavily diluted airbrush cleaner overnight. They do, predictably, not have the need to do deep cleaning.