Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Death to cops, long live basically decent people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Prole posted:

Gotta love just how absolutely loving corrupt our country is. Do you think other people see it or do you think they honestly believe that we're not absolutely loving corrupt despite all the evidence to the contrary?

Sometimes when I post stuff about the latest antics of the so called UK government, Egyptian friends make comments along the lines of "we don't understand, the UK is a bastion of anti-corrupt politics" (not in these words but it's the general jist). Their faith is being shaken.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which I think is the prevailing attitude of people who think that way, it's not that they know it isn't corrupt, they have an emotional need to believe it isn't.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As the saying goes, it takes a lifetime to build a reputation, and 5 or 6 coked up etonians to ruin it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Prole posted:

Gotta love just how absolutely loving corrupt our country is. Do you think other people see it or do you think they honestly believe that we're not absolutely loving corrupt despite all the evidence to the contrary?

It’s all comparative. After 23+ years being in China and looking back at the UK, it doesn’t seem particularly corrupt to me any more, because gestures at everything around him, and this is AFTER a 15+ year anti corruption crackdown that significantly improved things. I hear similar things from buddies in MENA, and friends in Russia and sub-saharan Africa look at corruption where I am and laugh bitterly.

I mean it’s just on a different scale. The kind of scandal that I used to think was important (remember ministers cheating expenses) now seems trivial.

Singapore doesn’t feel corrupt I guess?

But the UK’s corruption by public officials, which is real and bad, barely even registers on a global scale.

Where we do lead the world is in institutionalising and channeling corruption through things like the fundamental legal underpinnings of the offshore banking system, but it’s hard to tell where that’s specifically corruption or just power doing what power does.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What I think one of the big differences between the corruption in the UK and the corruption in say Middle East, Eastern Europe etc, is in those countries it is pretty open.
You absolutely know that if you want to get something done speedily / at all, a brown paper envelope of some sort is expected at all levels. In the UK it is much more hidden, the big bribes ahem, sorry slip of the tongue, "commissions" are much more hidden.

IIRC Ikea tried to be completely honest in their dealings with Russian authorities to get Ikea in there, but after 3 years of stalling found that if they did want to trade in Russia, they had to do the necessary. (I stand to be corrected! Haven't googled!) (Obviously, this was before Ukraine and boycotts etc).

I'm just reading this book Kleptopia (by Tom Burgis, an FT reporter), and the deep level of financial corruption and power unveiled is phenomenal.

FT review here: https://www.ft.com/content/1fd2b702-d1e7-4356-b40a-2f619646d2b0

Graun review here: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/25/kleptopia-review-tom-burgis-trump-putin-russia

Reading this book, I see how some of the global financial conspiracy theories in Agatha Christie's thrillers from the 1950s weren't too far from reality.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 21, 2022

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
all rise for the new national anthem. dance moves mandatory

https://twitter.com/TalkTV/status/1527737106478641152

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Jakabite posted:

Death to cops, long live basically decent people

If people were basically decent Brexit wouldn't have happened and Johnson wouldn't be in politics.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

Angepain posted:

all rise for the new national anthem. dance moves mandatory

https://twitter.com/TalkTV/status/1527737106478641152

Full video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo8vqIqCgRw

I can't work out if this is a parody or not? Like, there are so many hilarious bits that I can't even pick one. Also, because I'm the only one awake in the house I have the volume low, and it really sounds like 'gently caress youuuu, your majesty', and that makes it a pretty good song.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The English are a cursed race.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

crazyvanman posted:

Full video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo8vqIqCgRw

I can't work out if this is a parody or not? Like, there are so many hilarious bits that I can't even pick one. Also, because I'm the only one awake in the house I have the volume low, and it really sounds like 'gently caress youuuu, your majesty', and that makes it a pretty good song.
This is Britain. Theres a zero percent chance this is parody.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Strong brexit fish video energy.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

crazyvanman posted:

I can't work out if this is a parody or not?

My dad, who was conscripted at 18 in 1943, would have been 97 this year. This chap is apparently 95. Basically yet another Silent with a child's view of the war.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Thank god all the ww2 veterans will be dead soon so their relatives can't crack the whip behind them as theyre forced to dance endlessly to a patriotic cover of girls on film

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Care crisis solved as nursing homes become workhouses, residents get food and medicine in exchange for a set number of heartwarming tiktoks per day

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
thank u ma'am (she outranks a lady)
thank u ma'am
thank u ma'am (two brexits later)
thank u ma'am

Time to make a mic out of dog poo poo and set all the mixer controls wrong.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm just glad the U.K. isn't a racist country.

Boy loses finger fleeing 'attack' at Abertillery school

quote:

AN 11-YEAR-OLD boy had to have one of his fingers amputated after he hurt his hand while attemping to flee an alleged attack by a group of bullies in school.

Shantal Bailey claims her son Raheem had suffered "racial and physical abuse" as well as other forms of bullying since he started at Abertillery Learning Community last September.

Matters came to a head earlier this week when her son "called me in tears... saying that he's being bullied", Ms Bailey said, adding that a teacher had allegedly threatened to put Raheem in detention "despite him being the one that’s getting picked on".

She said she went to the school on Monday and spoke to staff, who "reassured [me] that everything would be handled by the Tuesday morning".

But the following day, Raheem was allegedly "attacked and beaten" by a group of children during morning break time.

"He was pushed to the ground and then repeatedly kicked," his mum said. "Consequently, Raheem made a desperate attempt to leave the school grounds in order to escape the situation."

While trying to flee, Raheem caught his finger in a fence, "causing the skin to strip and the finger to break in half", Ms Bailey said.

Initially, when the school told Ms Bailey about her son's injury, she alleges they "told me that the ambulance wouldn’t arrive for two hours, but advised me not to drive Raheem to A&E myself".

He was eventually taken to a minor injury unit and the family was then told he would require surgery at another hospital.

Ms Bailey said they then spent "five hours waiting for an ambulance to transfer us" to Swansea where doctors said Raheem could lose his finger.

"I had to explain this to him while he sat there in agony," Ms Bailey said.

"After six hours of surgery to save it, which was ultimately unsuccessful, his finger had to be amputated," she added. "From the day of the incident until now Abertillery Learning Community have not reached out to me to check on his well-being."

Ms Bailey said she had reported the matter to the police. Raheem is now recovering after his operation but he remains in "a lot of pain", his mother said.

A spokesperson for Abertillery Learning Community said: “We are currently working closely with Gwent Police and the local authority to establish the full details of the incident.

"The well-being and safety of our pupils and staff remains of paramount importance. We will not be commenting further at this time.”

Gwent Police confirmed it is investigating the incident, after receiving a report on Wednesday.

A spokesperson for the force said: “We received a report of an incident at a school in Abertillery around 1pm on Wednesday, May 18 where an 11-year-old boy was injured.

"A multi-agency meeting has taken place and we’re working with the school as part of our ongoing enquires.”

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Racism in the UK existed from September 2015 until April 2020. All the rest is banter or pragmatism.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Read that as racism in the UK extended

We keep meaning to cancel racism but forget and then it auto renews for another year

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
real deficit reason uncovered

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yes the UK is basically £10 food, £3 public services, £4000 racism, someone who is good at the economy please shut the gently caress up we like it that way.

haakman
May 5, 2011

"forkboy84" posted:

nu-metal, the dumbest sub-genre of music ever known to man

You loving what.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

But...the dance...the backwards '7' miming...surely...

OK yes you're right. When are sea levels supposed to rise again?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Prole posted:

If they do (and I think many don't) it will be something like 'well maybe, but other countries [disgusting non-britane ones] are worse!!!'

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

haakman posted:

You loving what.

wow that remark really got you crawling in your skin huh

will those wounds heal?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

bessantj posted:

I'm just glad the U.K. isn't a racist country.

Boy loses finger fleeing 'attack' at Abertillery school

Hopefully no-one from the school or local authority checks out the school's Wikipedia page for a while

Also, their report from Estyn from earlier in the year is going to look pretty loving stupid given they highlight the improvements made to pupils' behaviour.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 21, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1527787103194689537

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1527938307656671232

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Building on a proud tradition of the Blair years there, surrounding schools with big steel fences designed to cut your fingers off so the feral youth can't escape so paedophiles can't climb in.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What I think one of the big differences between the corruption in the UK and the corruption in say Middle East, Eastern Europe etc, is in those countries it is pretty open.
You absolutely know that if you want to get something done speedily / at all, a brown paper envelope of some sort is expected at all levels. In the UK it is much more hidden, the big bribes ahem, sorry slip of the tongue, "commissions" are much more hidden.

Yeah, this.
Have a friend in UAE working as a mid level manager for local government, and he says they would send out looking for tenders and get two prices, the official one by email, and the bribe by phone or face to face afterwards.

In the UK its waaaay more hidden. Your family get an internship but gets paid, you go on holiday and surprise its all free, etc.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s all comparative. After 23+ years being in China and looking back at the UK, it doesn’t seem particularly corrupt to me any more, because gestures at everything around him, and this is AFTER a 15+ year anti corruption crackdown that significantly improved things. I hear similar things from buddies in MENA, and friends in Russia and sub-saharan Africa look at corruption where I am and laugh bitterly.

I mean it’s just on a different scale. The kind of scandal that I used to think was important (remember ministers cheating expenses) now seems trivial.

Singapore doesn’t feel corrupt I guess?

But the UK’s corruption by public officials, which is real and bad, barely even registers on a global scale.

Where we do lead the world is in institutionalising and channeling corruption through things like the fundamental legal underpinnings of the offshore banking system, but it’s hard to tell where that’s specifically corruption or just power doing what power does.

Singapore is definitely in on that Leninist fudging between party executive and state executive since the 1970s. In all of the communist or non-communist-but-Leninist countries (e.g. Taiwan under the KMT before liberalisation), it's taken as given that the senior civil service outranks even the ruling party's own legislative backbenchers. This would not even be a smoke-filled room thing but one where backbenchers who attempt to upend the pecking order will be openly slapped down and told to know their place. Here is Singapore's own notorious episode which has been extensively remarked upon by observers like Michael Barr (for context Mr Philip Yeo was the chair of the EDB, the powerful industrial planning board akin to Japan's MITI or Korea's EPB; Mr Chng Hee Kok was a longtime PAP backbencher of no notable appointment).

In such contexts, a politicized permanent secretary role would not draw much comment. In contrast, it is when permanent secretaries fail to be loyal to the ruling party that there is comment.

This is a perhaps a constitutional question rather than a corruption one though. The perhaps only-too-British assumption here is that a neutral civil service is possible and therefore should be expected and sought (if there was no such assumption, an inquiry led by such a role would not be politically valuable to begin with). It wasn't all that long ago that (esp due to the influence of Tony Benn's post-ministerial exegeses) that the UK left took it as an article of faith that the concept of civil-service neutrality is a toxic fiction of liberal capitalism, but despite Sue Grayesque episodes I've definitely noticed that this has shifted - the Tories are no longer the "natural party of government" (or, for that matter, of the educated voter) but quite the converse, and skepticism of civil service benevolence and potential has conversely taken on a more right-libertarian sheen: have had enough of experts, etc.

ronya fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 21, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

happyhippy posted:

Have a friend in UAE working as a mid level manager for local government, and he says they would send out looking for tenders and get two prices, the official one by email, and the bribe by phone or face to face afterwards.

In the UK its waaaay more hidden. Your family get an internship but gets paid, you go on holiday and surprise its all free, etc.
I always assume that teaching the more refined British corruption to other countries is basically what Tony Blair and his ilk do once they leave politics

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"No no, Mr. Hacksaw, remember what we said about outsourcing through a third party?"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

haakman posted:

You loving what.

I apologise for my extremely hot take that the sub-genre that gave us "I've got a chainsaw, I'll skin your rear end raw & if my day keeps going this way I just might break your loving face tonight" was dumb. And who can forget "Such a sexy, sexy pretty little thing, Fierce nipple pierce, you got me sprung with your tongue ring, And I ain't gonna lie 'cause your loving gets me high, So to keep you by my side, there's nothing that I won't try"?

Nothing inherently wrong with dumb music, I like death metal & there's only so many songs you can listen to about eating your murder victims entrails you can hear before it all becomes a parody of itself. Hell, I like Manowar presicely because they are about as dumb as humanity can get without collapsing into a singularity, and without a fraction of a gram of irony. But man, nu-metal is dumber than a bag of Tories. It's like dumb cubed. And I will never forgive lovely rear end lazy rock club DJs who, 5-10 years after nu-metal was consigned to the dustbin of history where it belonged, still played loving Bodies and Wait & Bleed and Down With The Sickness. Goddammit you motherfuckers, play something new you incredibly boring bastards. You're telling me Anchor by Cave In isn't every bit as catchy & danceable (by rock club standards) as loving Killing Time by (hed) PE? Also look how loving dumb this is, as a video, as a song, as fashion choices, everything, it's a testament to the depths humanity can plum.

You touched the poop here, I cannot be held responsible for the incoherent rant that nu-metal inspires in me

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Cave In do own (and they have a decent new album out this week!). But you shouldn't lump Slipknot in with the garbage nu-metal, they are a legit metal band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDwgb8ZIyk

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
British corruption is at a much higher level than the "slip the official a brown envelope full of cash if you want your paperwork dealt with in a reasonable timeframe if at all", probably by design - the ruling elites want to make sure they get all the money, no plebs wetting their beaks along the way. Someone at the planning office takes a bung to allow a local developer to chop down a protected tree? They're going to get grassed up and done. A minister gets free five-star holidays for his whole family by letting a millionaire landowner and donor build on the green belt? System working as intended, nothing to see here.

Military stuff is probably the ultimate example of the system. UK and US procurement is massively bloated, wasteful and overpriced, colossal amounts of public money being diverted to private companies, but it does (eventually) produce stuff that works. Meanwhile, as the Russians have found, their "everyone at every level is on the take" system ends with tank reactive armour that doesn't work because someone's sold the explosives inside it on the black market, and soldiers not having a clue what they're doing because rather than being trained they were used as free labour to build a road to some officer's dacha.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
To further support the point, the US+UK weapons have to work, otherwise their real bosses in Saudi Arabia and Israel would get annoyed. (Conversely, no-one cares if Russia and Ukraine are fighting with sticks or whacking each other with leftover rubber tubing.)

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

ronya posted:

Singapore is definitely in on that Leninist fudging between party executive and state executive since the 1970s. In all of the communist or non-communist-but-Leninist countries (e.g. Taiwan under the KMT before liberalisation), it's taken as given that the senior civil service outranks even the ruling party's own legislative backbenchers. This would not even be a smoke-filled room thing but one where backbenchers who attempt to upend the pecking order will be openly slapped down and told to know their place. Here is Singapore's own notorious episode which has been extensively remarked upon by observers like Michael Barr (for context Mr Philip Yeo was the chair of the EDB, the powerful industrial planning board akin to Japan's MITI or Korea's EPB; Mr Chng Hee Kok was a longtime PAP backbencher of no notable appointment).

In such contexts, a politicized permanent secretary role would not draw much comment. In contrast, it is when permanent secretaries fail to be loyal to the ruling party that there is comment.

This is a perhaps a constitutional question rather than a corruption one though. The perhaps only-too-British assumption here is that a neutral civil service is possible and therefore should be expected and sought (if there was no such assumption, an inquiry led by such a role would not be politically valuable to begin with). It wasn't all that long ago that (esp due to the influence of Tony Benn's post-ministerial exegeses) that the UK left took it as an article of faith that the concept of civil-service neutrality is a toxic fiction of liberal capitalism, but despite Sue Grayesque episodes I've definitely noticed that this has shifted - the Tories are no longer the "natural party of government" (or, for that matter, of the educated voter) but quite the converse, and skepticism of civil service benevolence and potential has conversely taken on a more right-libertarian sheen: have had enough of experts, etc.

I mean it is possible. The UK has successfully trialled a depoliticised civil service. It’s not clear if you can get away with this when you’re not a big and rich ex colonial power. But it’s a good thing to have if your country can afford it IMO.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Cave In do own (and they have a decent new album out this week!). But you shouldn't lump Slipknot in with the garbage nu-metal, they are a legit metal band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDwgb8ZIyk

Their first record definitely is nu-metal and as that's the only one I listened to much apart from the MFKR demo (which is endearingly sloppy and all over the shop and totally lacking in coherence but still manages to have a charm). I definitely listened to Iowa at the time but despite being super excited I bounced off it hard when I actually bought it. "If your 555 then I'm 666" is about all I remember. Maybe they redid Gently from MFKR. I do remember being enough if a Slipknot fan to get a free copy of Heretic Song a couple months before the album dropped, a 1 song CD posted to my home, it was novel.

But anyway, people say Around The Fur is nu-metal and that's still good, and I'll always dig the 1st 2 System of a Down albums despite being nu-metal as poo poo, it's not all irredeemable garbage, just 99.9999%

And yes, I'm listening to the new Cave In now, no way that wasn't going to ve a day 1 purchase

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1527961357349421058

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

https://twitter.com/_georgeabby/status/1527684101293096960?t=fLX14Xk4r3bR39WXJ0KGMw&s=19