Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Goons being baffled that some people enjoy watching entertainers talk about stuff in an entertaining way is hilarious at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have my :10bux: method. A matinee movie ticket (near where I live) costs between 10-15$. That pays for 90 minutes to two hours of entertainment. I consider games the same, do I get two hours of enjoyment for every 10-15$ I spent on it? If so, that's a good game to me. I have 187 hours played in CP2077...

Otoh I’d rather play a really fun game that I 100% in 10 hours than something grindy and dull for 80 hours

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
This is where I look at the time I spent playing Elite Dangerous and feel personally attacked.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The video essay derail is over, thank you. Talk about neat little things in games you like.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm not a huge fan of audio essays either. As a matter of fac

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bargearse posted:

When you look at it that way, gaming really is a cost effective form of entertainment.

It's staggeringly cost effective.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I've been writing an audio essay but I keep losing my tape recorders and have to buy new ones. Should be done any day now, right after I investigate the mysterious portal that opened in my front yar

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Commander was on my rear end today, complaining about how security changed the access codes again. Don't see what the big deal is, 0451 isn't that hard to remember.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Playing Prey at the moment and the multi-area backstory you find out on emails and stuff about some nerds on the space station playing DnD, complete with secret maps you need to find and work out, is pretty ace.

Just the idea that Morgan Yu, in the midst of a terrifying crisis with alien lifeforms, is getting sidetracked by someone else's DnD game is funny to me.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Bogmonster posted:

Playing Prey at the moment and the multi-area backstory you find out on emails and stuff about some nerds on the space station playing DnD, complete with secret maps you need to find and work out, is pretty ace.

Just the idea that Morgan Yu, in the midst of a terrifying crisis with alien lifeforms, is getting sidetracked by someone else's DnD game is funny to me.

Even funnier is how that quest ends if you look up the solution online and skip to the end rather than following the trail of breadcrumbs.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

to save everyone else the google search - really good item if you do it properly, really bad item if you cheat or bruteforce it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bogmonster posted:

I have never been more enthralled by a fictional relationship than I was by the security chief getting herself invited to that game so she could hook up with the DM.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
More Rogue Legacy 2: there's a trait called Pacifist which arms you only with a peaceful protest sign that knocks enemies back a tiny bit and does no damage. Your other attacks don't deal damage either and you have 0.6x max HP. In exchange you get a huge gold bonus, implying you're supposed to run around opening chests for gold and blueprints. But the game spawns a weapon at a bazaar somewhere in the castle on each run, and if you run around til you find that instead, you get your damage back and the trait changes:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:50 on May 19, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's like when the Journalist in Hotline Miami 2 breaks and starts mercing fools

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

More Rogue Legacy 2: there's a trait called Pacifist which arms you only with a peaceful protest sign that knocks enemies back a tiny bit and does no damage. Your other attacks don't deal damage either and you have 0.6x max HP. In exchange you get a huge gold bonus, implying you're supposed to run around opening chests for gold and blueprints. But the game spawns a weapon at a bazaar somewhere in the castle on each run, and if you run around til you find that instead, you get your damage back and the trait changes:

... that is glorious. Please tell me Rogue Legacy 2 is actually good.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
It's so loving good.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Vic posted:

A trans person communism head tells you what they'd prefer in the game then gets mad about capitalism.

Hmmmmm

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Randalor posted:

... that is glorious. Please tell me Rogue Legacy 2 is actually good.

It's really, really good. Tons of quality of life changes from the first, for example my gold bonus of +270% in that screenshot has actually been hugely boosted by one of the new castle upgrades which makes it so traits/abilities give a bigger bonus. There seems to have been a big focus on eliminating the repetition of just playing to get gold and making each heir able to 'accomplish' something. The entire thing is just so much smoother.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I don't know if I like Dark Souls 2 overall or not, but I do like the backstab animations, goddamn.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I do love how unnecessarily brutal some attacks in From games get. Bloodborne’s Visceral Attacks that involve you just shoving your fist into the enemy’s guts and tearing it out never got old

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

I do love how unnecessarily brutal some attacks in From games get. Bloodborne’s Visceral Attacks that involve you just shoving your fist into the enemy’s guts and tearing it out never got old

Those poor giant pigs...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Guts? You're doing it from the wrong end

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

haveblue posted:

Guts? You're doing it from the wrong end

There are guts on both sides. And I guess sometimes you dig around in their brains

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

Or in Sekiro where the headless pulls your soul-gland out of your butt and shoves it into its own butt.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The Headless Dung Eater…

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Or in Sekiro where the headless pulls your soul-gland out of your butt and shoves it into its own butt.

Well, where else is he gonna keep it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Pivot to Video was bad enough when text content was suddenly thrown out along with firing all the writers to make lovely video content no one actually wanted but now apparently everything has to be a loving hour long video to summarise content you could put in a forum post.

Some people don't get that if you link a random rear end video there's a good chance no one wants to loving watch it, whether it's 80 minutes or 8 seconds.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Salt and sacrifice is rough in a lot of places, but its really nice that nothing seems to completely resist a damage type. No matter what weapon you pick it will still work to some degree, some just work way better. It makes the monster hunter style weapon crafting with a unique element combo for each damage type cool rather than painful, and it was quite fun finding out what kind of combo correlates to what.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Man I didn’t enjoy that game at all. The concept is great but it just wasn’t executed well. Also the horrible bloom effect hurts my eyes

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Citizen Sleeper: you can pay to pet and feed a space cat for absolutely no benefit other than a small boost of energy the first time

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

christmas boots posted:

Audio logs in games suck

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Bioshock solved it fifteen dang years ago: give you an audiolog in the beginning of an area, have the audiolog give you some information on the people you're killing or the area you're in, and let you explore while you're listening. Then you basically have a podcast about the game you're playing. It's mindboggling that other games don't do it that way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like to look around at furniture and objects and take in the room where the audio log is while it plays. Lots of folks say they just end up randomly scattered and make no sense but in a lot of games the developers did put in that extra detail wherever possible. An example I really like from Bioshock 2 comes in the apartment level, there's an audio log just sitting in a pile of crap on the floor. But if you look WAY up, there's a balcony and a broken railing with a hand hanging over it. If you grab the body with TK, ammo comes spilling down with the corpse.

edit: It's in Siren Alley, there's also a ton of free ammo from corpses that've been pinned to the walls and ceiling. Look up in games, there's cool stuff above you!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Speaking of Bioshock 2 and audiologs, there's one in the amusement park where a teacher got stuck on one of the rides with her school class during the New Years Eve riot, and it's great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The conclusion to that story is one such moment of looking around at the room and going "oh...... oh god :gbsmith:"! Hooray for living examples!

edit: For those that might not remember, the teacher gave up her food so that the children wouldn't go without and starved as a result. Given that there's no evidence of the children escaping the park and it's overrun with Little Sisters, it's little wonder who returned to leave the chalk drawings and candles around her body.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:54 on May 21, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
One of the penultimate bosses in Elden Ring has some sucky parts to their fight like the full screen unblockable shockwave, but he goes berserk halfway through and has a grab where he jumps fifty feet in the air and slam dunks you like he came out of Dragon Ball Z so I guess I can’t be too mad.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

One of the penultimate bosses in Elden Ring has some sucky parts to their fight like the full screen unblockable shockwave, but he goes berserk halfway through and has a grab where he jumps fifty feet in the air and slam dunks you like he came out of Dragon Ball Z so I guess I can’t be too mad.

I had to slow down a bit when fighting that boss because he has kind of low health and I wanted to watch him beat the poo poo out of me some more

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Philippe posted:

Bioshock solved it fifteen dang years ago: give you an audiolog in the beginning of an area, have the audiolog give you some information on the people you're killing or the area you're in, and let you explore while you're listening. Then you basically have a podcast about the game you're playing. It's mindboggling that other games don't do it that way.

Dragon age 1 is infinitely better if you read each of the lore pickups as you get them, it adds a lot of texture to the World and the story

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Belongs in the other thread, but Halo Master Chief Collection may be the worst version of that I've ever seen. Nondescript collectible terminals have been added to the early games which fit into each game's respective style and visual design as if they've always been there. But when you use them they blare extremely loud fmv cutscenes from future games at you which spoil not just the game you're about to play but Halo 4 specifically, and foreshadow Halo 5, a game that you can't play because it's not in the collection and won't come to PC. They also don't reveal anything about where they have been placed or why that spot nor do they speak of the events of the level they're in, at all, from what I gathered from them.

So yeah that extra legwork to make sure the info is relevant and primes the player is really important, it can be done very wrong without the additional eye for detail.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:50 on May 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think your game glitched out because they're supposed to play cutscenes unique to the terminals with some background lore and not fmvs from other games spoling those games