Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Red car fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

dumb as hell question: how is circuit length measured? on the racing line or midpoint of track or ?
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/appendix_o_2021_published_15.12.2021_-_web.pdf
Appendix O, article 8 of the FIA International Sporting Code:

quote:

Measurement of circuit length
The length of a circuit for the calculation of race distances, race records and classifications is considered to be that of the centreline of the track.
The centreline of the track is the median line between the left and right edges of the asphalt of the track as delimited by the required white lines; particular attention should be paid to this in the case of circuits on city streets.
The length should preferably be measured in the field on site (average of the measurements of the left and right edges), but failing that it may be calculated. To this end, the following method is proposed:
The geometrical form of the layout shall be defined in terms of plan and longitudinal profile along the track centreline, and this layout shall be used in the calculation of the official circuit length.
The plan definition shall include the horizontal centreline length of all straights and curves, the radius of all circular curves and the mathematical description of all transition curves.
The longitudinal profile shall be defined in terms of either vertical circular curves or a series of centreline levels at intervals of not less than 10 m, accurate to 0.01 m.
The official track length will be calculated to an accuracy of 1 m by combining the horizontal track length with the longitudinal profile.

So it's the middle of the track.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

MrMojok posted:

Historically, one of the main problems with this SA thread has been the total inability to ask a serious question and get serious, non-meme answers.

Formula One is Serious Business, so I will give posters in this thread an opportunity to buck that memelord trend, right now.

Q: Why is Ferrari the absolute best and most important team in F1 history, and why throughout history are all the other teams full of fraudulent drivers, designers, and team principals, who historically humiliate themselves nonstop trying to compete against the Scuderia?

Careful now

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

dumb as hell question: how is circuit length measured? on the racing line or midpoint of track or ?

I think the FIA method is measuring each of the white lines around the circuit and averaging the two. [Edit] or it’s listed above, yeah, that.

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

MrMojok posted:

Q: Why is Ferrari the absolute best and most important team in F1 history, and why throughout history are all the other teams full of fraudulent drivers, designers, and team principals, who historically humiliate themselves nonstop trying to compete against the Scuderia?

I've often heard Ferrari is the only team that's been part of the championship since the very beginning, so I looked into it; turns out these frauds couldn't even be bothered to turn up for the very first race!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Mick's absolutely on fire today

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Sombrerotron posted:

Mick's absolutely on fire today

:xd:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

What is it with Haas and brakes.

And I guess Haas and fire

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Once again the good lads at McLaren identified their brake cooling issues and made the car slow rather than endangering marshals, what a generous bunch.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Custard Undies posted:

It's that typical American flair for spectacle and excitement.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Hella drive from Magnussen there

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Custard Undies posted:

If I were them I would simple not brake. I will email Guenther and await my consultancy fee.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Excited for are lew lew to get in there once again this weekend

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

Excited for are lew lew to get in there once again this weekend

Yeah this sounds like something that would be very cool to see!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A fight between three teams would be good to see as long as Red Bull always come out 3rd

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Thanks Ants posted:

A fight between three teams would be good to see as long as Red Bull always come out 3rd

A fight between three teams with Red Bull always coming out 4th would be even better.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It’s Lance Stroll, the shirt.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

A fight between three teams with Red Bull always coming out 4th would be even better.

every race should be a loving shootout that could go either way with both Red Bulls DNF’ing in the last lap.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I'm ready to enjoy this qualifying as the race will probably suck

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I hope seb wins with the green bull tbh

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Horner is incredibly mad, openly accusing people who left RB and went to AM (after a year's gardening leave) of stealing documents.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Love to see it

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

cgfreak posted:

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/appendix_o_2021_published_15.12.2021_-_web.pdf
Appendix O, article 8 of the FIA International Sporting Code:

So it's the middle of the track.

awesome, thanks! figured it was something like this

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Narrated lap still terrible

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I hope Albon bounces out Ricciardo

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Custard Undies posted:

As someone new to F1 (thanks to Netflix)... I just watched the Man on Fire episode with Grosjean this morning. loving hell that was intense

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Lol the Aston's still dogshit

nerox
May 20, 2001
“Green Red Bulls” out in Q1 :lol:

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

lmao. watch horner go "oh okay its not a copy, that car is bad"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Lol Aston Martin.

Good one for kmag and bottas

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Less Green Red Bulls, more Green Rubbish Bins

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BonoMan posted:

As someone new to F1 (thanks to Netflix)... I just watched the Man on Fire episode with Grosjean this morning. loving hell that was intense

I remember watching that live

Thought I had just watched a man die.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Green Williams

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The problem is Aston engineers built teh copy to regulation and did not cheat hard enough

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Less Green Red Bulls, more Green Rubbish Bins

AM should sell that team to Waste Management

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I remember watching that live

Thought I had just watched a man die.

Gotta admit though watching him jump out of that fire is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

Gotta admit though watching him jump out of that fire is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

Pretty sure I shouted “no loving way” out loud at that point

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

this has been an incredibly boring qualifying so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

this has been an incredibly boring qualifying so far

yeah Latifi didn’t bin it