Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit: also predictably, BMW making GBS threads into your eyes once more

https://twitter.com/_theintercooler/status/1527413217504415749?s=20&t=zSWxTU_ReC_HJ1_i7nwX2g

ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY NINE THOUSAND POUNDS

Given there is no way in hell I'd buy *any* BMW from the last thirty years, I'm riding that Porsche train the whole way oh rando twitter person.

And I sure as gently caress wouldnt consider that ugly heap of poo poo

quote:

Well I can tell you which one I'd rather have

Dont care how much faster the new one is, the old CSL actually is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I was passed by couple older BMWs this morning on the way home from work. An E30 M3 and an E24 M6. Gorgeous cars. I have real nostalgia for those 80s body styles. Sexy as hell.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

Honestly? I'd sell the old one and buy the new one and pocket the difference. Nostalgia has no place in the Temple of Speed at all Costs.

The only reason it exists is because of nostalgia, otherwise it wouldn't be called the CSL. This new CSL isn't 'Speed at all Costs' either, otherwise it wouldn't have back seats or interior carpeting or whatever else has no place in this Temple of yours. This CSL isn't the fastest, quickest, best handling or lightest, but it sure is ~exclusive~. Even then, you set the OG CSL and this new one next to each other, ask any layman to look, I guarantee you every single one of them will look at the old one and go "this rules", so even in the exclusivity market it isn't all that great.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

As Nero Danced posted:

I got my grand marquis up to 100 once, it was terrifying. The car did not like it and neither did I. It was better on a (cruiser) motorcycle believe it or not, except for the fear in the back of my head that I'm one unfortunate pebble or bug on the helmet visor from being a red smear on the road. I have no desire to ever reach that speed again, my own personal speed limit is 75, I have no desire to ever go beyond that again.

My buddy had an 86 (I believe) Grand Marquis that he dropped an F150 rear end and suspension into. Put a brush guard tube grill on it. We'd take it out in the woods and listen to metal, smoking weed and cigarettes, everyone with their own ashtray.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That sure is a tarted up 4 series coupe.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

it’s a fuckin joke but everyone who can both afford it and get one allocated can also have a better porsche at the same time if they want

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I actually like the rear 3/4 and the ducktail, the front is OK except for the dumb grille, and the yellow DRL's work way better on the green and bronze spec M5 Comp or whatever. Not even a big Porsche guy but I'd sure take a GT3 over that any day.

VMax chat: indicated 140kmh downhill in a 120Y (terror but I was 15 so obviously invincible), indicated 200kmh in a 1990 U12 Bluebird (slow to get there but smooth), 220kmh in a 1996 Fairmont Ghia 4.0 (I think cruise ran out at 160?), indicated 100mph in a stripped Mini with a bored 1275 and sidedraft (terror but glorious, goddamn I miss classic Mini), 180kmh JDM speed limiter in 2006 Fuga 450GT (easy as hell but hits the limiter more violently than needed).

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Dr. Lunchables posted:

My buddy had an 86 (I believe) Grand Marquis that he dropped an F150 rear end and suspension into. Put a brush guard tube grill on it. We'd take it out in the woods and listen to metal, smoking weed and cigarettes, everyone with their own ashtray.

Awesome! Mine's an 03, one of these days I want to get mine lifted and put a push bar on the front.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

The only reason it exists is because of nostalgia, otherwise it wouldn't be called the CSL.

Interesting take given that your whole thing is selling gently used nostalgia.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

cursedshitbox posted:

Interesting take given that your whole thing is selling gently used nostalgia.

Seems like exactly the sort of take a person like me would make :confused:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

This new CSL isn't 'Speed at all Costs' either, otherwise it wouldn't have back seats

It does not have back seats and in fact has fixed carbon buckets (don't even recline or go up/down) and has a bunch of sound deadening ripped out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

It does not have back seats and in fact has fixed carbon buckets (don't even recline or go up/down) and has a bunch of sound deadening ripped out.

And yet still 80ish kgs heavier than a 2020 M4.

Frankly throw the turbos away and give it a high strung NA I6, make it actually light with 120 kW less would be more interesting even if it is theoretically slower

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

VMax chat: My 1988 Corolla 1.3 DX (12-valve!) topped out around 160-something kph, maybe it would have hit 170 with a tailwind. No tacho, so I don't know how much was left in it.

The 2008 Fiat Panda 1.3 JTD hit around 165kph before running out of steam, and it was shaking quite a bit at that speed.

1996 Suzuki Bandit 600 would probably have hit 180kph or so, but I chickened out at 160, because gently caress going faster on a naked bike.

2000 Peugeot 406 2.2 TS4 didn't really want to go faster than 215kph, which also happens to be the listed top speed, so yay I guess. Smooth as fine French butter.

200X (can't remember) Yamaha XT660X hit the wall hard at 156kph, there was nothing left in it. Surprisingly stable and planted at that speed, though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KillHour posted:

I assumed it still had the entire interior based on how heavy it still is, my mistake. Still has glass windows though :v:
Ultimately I guess I just have a hard time caring, there is a limitless supply of $100k+ ultrafast hypercars separated by tenths of a second on whatever times you want to sort them by or badge and trim you organize them to. I'm bored with the golden age of internal combustion power :smith:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Frankly throw the turbos away and give it a high strung NA I6, make it actually light with 120 kW less would be more interesting even if it is theoretically slower

"Interesting" is the thing yeah.
Look how much fun these idiots are having in an old Ferrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuwO2lUmEA0

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

KakerMix posted:

I assumed it still had the entire interior based on how heavy it still is, my mistake. Still has glass windows though :v:
Ultimately I guess I just have a hard time caring, there is a limitless supply of $100k+ ultrafast hypercars separated by tenths of a second on whatever times you want to sort them by or badge and trim you organize them to. I'm bored with the golden age of internal combustion power :smith:

"Interesting" is the thing yeah.
Look how much fun these idiots are having in an old Ferrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuwO2lUmEA0

I had a big effortpost on how the new CSL is actually good, but then I realized you just aren't looking at the right ultra-expensive, ultra-exclusive M4. BMW makes a 2800 lb one with no interior and a more interesting engine.

https://www.bmw-motorsport.com/en/topics/bmw-m-motorsport/race-cars/bmw-m4-gt3.html

The reality is that in a few years, everyone is going to be looking back at these and thinking how cool they were as we drive our silent 5klb electric cars that can only go fast in a straight line.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 21, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

The reality is that in a few years, everyone is going to be looking back at these and thinking how cool they were

Dont count on it in my case.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Time to add my own poo poo to that fastest I've gone chat so I can feel like one of the cool kids.

When I was in highschool, my brother driving the parent's 1990 Mercury topaz with 3 speed auto. Just under 200kmh as indicated by the speedometer. Don't know how accurate that might have been as those things were piles of poo poo.

In my old 97 Mazda Protege w/1.8l engine and 5mt, cruise control stopped working at about 180ish and speed limiter stopped me at 190 kmh.

It was still pulling at 190 before the limiter kicked in and I figure I probably could have broke 200 with it, and still had room to spare on the tachometer before redline.
I figured it out one time mathematically and if I could have gone all the way past redline (7000) and hit the rev limiter in 5th gear (~7400rpm) I could have gone somewhere between 210-220.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

20 years from now these M4s and the like will just be old shitbox money pit BMWs or no-mileage garage queens shuffled between collectors in the case of sufficiently exclusive models

meanwhile people will be ready to kill for clean examples of the 86 and Miata

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
220+KPH(140ishMPH) in my '97 SHO when I maxed it out in highschool. Since then I've been at 160-170 a handful of times but have never wanted to repeat 200+ on the road..

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just got passed by a 911 GT3, first one I've seen in person and god drat what a car.

And RE speed limit chat from a few pages back, I'm in Salt Lake City for a few days and there are a bunch of 70mph speed limits here and even doing 80 myself people still fly by me lol. I've got a Sentra for a rental and it takes ages to go from 45 to 70 when I'm getting onto the highway

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

I had a big effortpost on how the new CSL is actually good, but then I realized you just aren't looking at the right ultra-expensive, ultra-exclusive M4. BMW makes a 2800 lb one with no interior and a more interesting engine.

https://www.bmw-motorsport.com/en/topics/bmw-m-motorsport/race-cars/bmw-m4-gt3.html

Yeah, I guess, but Porsche / McLaren / Mercedes / etc also sell their ladder of real race cars.

There is a reason you don't see stuff higher up the ladder than a GT3 Cup at track days.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 21, 2022

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

Time to add my own poo poo to that fastest I've gone chat so I can feel like one of the cool kids.

Well if that's what we're doing I did 150mph for a hot second in my 98 Corvette and that thing couldn't have cared less. I don't think I had ever been above 100 at that point so that was butt-clenchingly fast, but the car had plenty more to give since top speed was 174. Although this was a large straightaway along the side of a mountain range, so after tapping 150 I slowed right down since eventually you hit a sharp turn and go careening to your death.
My 4 year old "new car" that I think is speed governed at 150? Never been above 90.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

davebo posted:

Well if that's what we're doing I did 150mph for a hot second in my 98 Corvette and that thing couldn't have cared less. I don't think I had ever been above 100 at that point so that was butt-clenchingly fast, but the car had plenty more to give since top speed was 174. Although this was a large straightaway along the side of a mountain range, so after tapping 150 I slowed right down since eventually you hit a sharp turn and go careening to your death.
My 4 year old "new car" that I think is speed governed at 150? Never been above 90.

GM interior aside, my C5 felt more stable at high speeds than my 18 Mustang does. Wider and lower will do that, I suppose.

cantfly
Jan 30, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I just got passed by a 911 GT3, first one I've seen in person and god drat what a car.

And RE speed limit chat from a few pages back, I'm in Salt Lake City for a few days and there are a bunch of 70mph speed limits here and even doing 80 myself people still fly by me lol. I've got a Sentra for a rental and it takes ages to go from 45 to 70 when I'm getting onto the highway

Welcome to our shithole! Lived in MA for most of my life and everyone said massholes are the worst drivers, moved here a few years ago and it's not even close. Everyone on the highways going from 65-100 in all lanes passing in whatever lane they feel like. Fun times!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

People drive fast but I wouldn't call them aggressive like in MA. Like I spent all day today just cruising around in the city today going to various museums and such and it was a really nice drive. And it's really weird hearing my GPS go, "Exit onto ten thousand six hundred south" or whatever the hell they've decided to name their routes here.

Any suggestions for food? 🙃 Hoping to do Mt Olympus tomorrow but I'm mildly afraid of elevation sickness plaguing my half way up or something. Did a 1300ft hike last night and felt perfectly fine though

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've driven from Boston all the way to Montreal and back and most of the highways had excruciatingly low limits like 55 or 65 that most people seemed to stick to +/-5. This fell apart the closer I got back to Boston though and in many places I was up to like 85 in a 65 or whatever they had there that everyone was ignoring.

cantfly
Jan 30, 2006

It's more the highway etiquette or lack thereof, passing on the right, going into a lane and just staying there no matter what. Around town it's actually pretty good.

Addresses are a trip, just a bunch of numbers and NWSE on a grid. Like obviously it makes sense but it's boring as hell and I have to drive for 30 min to get to a fun canyon road instead of just taking a left off my old street in MA and I'm on a twisty road in the forest immediately.

You want to really gently caress yourself up go for a mountain bike ride. I actually died when I went on my first ride and this is my corpse posting.

I haven't had much of a chance to eat out as it's been plague world almost the entire time I've been out here but I can vouch for "The Pie" if you want some amazing pizza. https://www.thepie.com/locations/the-pie-delivery-salt-lake

The bacon-berry one and buffalo chicken ranch are outstanding and I tried that limited time beesting one last week and it was also amazing.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Sab669 posted:

People drive fast but I wouldn't call them aggressive like in MA. Like I spent all day today just cruising around in the city today going to various museums and such and it was a really nice drive. And it's really weird hearing my GPS go, "Exit onto ten thousand six hundred south" or whatever the hell they've decided to name their routes here.

Any suggestions for food? 🙃 Hoping to do Mt Olympus tomorrow but I'm mildly afraid of elevation sickness plaguing my half way up or something. Did a 1300ft hike last night and felt perfectly fine though

I miss Boston driving, aggressive and decisive. Out here it’s either people driving like assholes on purpose or completely clueless doing 10 under in the left lane.

For food: note I haven’t been to any of these in over 2 years
Oquirrh is pretty dope.
Pago is solid for brunch.
Tradition is good.
The rest/bodega.

Those are the ones I can think of that aren’t generic gastropub with a wall of whiskey cookie cuttered all over downtown

e: The Pie is dope, wicked cheesy though

cantfly
Jan 30, 2006

The Bandit posted:

I miss Boston driving, aggressive and decisive. Out here it’s either people driving like assholes on purpose or completely clueless doing 10 under in the left lane.

For food: note I haven’t been to any of these in over 2 years
Oquirrh is pretty dope.
Pago is solid for brunch.
Tradition is good.
The rest/bodega.

Those are the ones I can think of that aren’t generic gastropub with a wall of whiskey cookie cuttered all over downtown

e: The Pie is dope, wicked cheesy though

Aggressive and decisive, yes! I still remember the first time I drove into Boston as a teen with a car load of friends and going down Storrow Drive, it was amazing and I loved it, my friends not so much lol.

And oh yeah like the Buffalo pizza has maybe 5lbs of cheese on a 12". The thin crusts like the bacon-berry and bee-sting have very little so either get a thincrust or grab a bottle of lactaid.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

mobby_6kl posted:

I do too usually, but it's because my cars get very noisy and yeah the fuel economy goes to hell in a way it doesn't have to. Obviously the air resistance is a law but it can be dealt with somewhat with better aerodynamics, gearing and engine efficiency. So it's a bit annoying and occasionally dangerouns to constantly be passed by TDI Skodas going 150-160.

Anyway what I was getting at is that about 120-140km/h is a reasonable speed for me here and decent range at those speesd in cold weather is what I'd want to see if I were buying a new EV, rather than a huge "city" range.

You really don't need to feel bad about the TDI Skodas. On the other hand, this Mach-E probably should.

https://youtu.be/cdkIKr__ido?t=887

I think the only car where I have hit Vmax was my mom's Fiat 127. 130 km/h, but it was downhill.

I once managed 198km/h GPS speed on my 2002 Saab 9-3, and I had firm intention to pass 200km/h when I come across the right time and place. But now that it has lost the fifth gear seems I never will, unless I keep the shift lever jammed in fifth.

For the speeding ticket discussion, the traffic laws were recently updated in Finland, and among all the other stupid issues they caused, they apparently left a huge loophole in speeding.

If you do 1-20 km/h of speeding you will receive a 70-200€ traffic fault fee. It is an administrative sanction and if you do lower speedings (<=10km/h at 60 or lower limit, <=15km/h at above 60 limit) they will not cause lost license even with repeat offences.

If you are doing 21km/h or more speeding, you will receive a fine for traffic endangerment. But the law also says there shouldn't be a fine if the caused danger was minor. There is at least one case of a driver doing 101km/h at 80km/h and the lower court waivered the fine and he didn't have to pay anything. Sounds like it's best to take your chances and always drive at least 21 over. Although that driver was a cop and a long time police driving instructor, so I too need to come up with a way to prove my driving chops to the court first.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

When a reviewer calls the performance of your car that’s a performance edition of a performance edition a joke is that usually considered bad

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

bird with big dick posted:

When a reviewer calls the performance of your car that’s a performance edition of a performance edition a joke is that usually considered bad

I’m really confused, how does a car with 460-ish ho and 600lbft barely make it past 120mph?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I’m really confused, how does a car with 460-ish ho and 600lbft barely make it past 120mph?

Well, it’s got a single speed transmission so it’s already limited by the maximum rpm of the motor and ratio of the single speed. But Ford also hosed up the power delivery so the motor will only give you those HP and torque numbers for a very short period of time at at lower speeds. Power gets drastically pulled above about 60mph. It’s designed to hit 0-60 in 3.5 seconds because that’s the number they put out there, but everywhere else it’s kind of dogshit.

Nobody other than Ford knows why they so aggressively cut power but it could be mechanical (insufficient cooling, motors not designed to handle sustained power) or excessive caution about longevity (don’t want to prematurely degrade battery pack).

They trap in the low 100s.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 22, 2022

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bird with big dick posted:

MME?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Well, it’s got a single speed transmission so it’s already limited by the maximum rpm of the motor and ratio of the single speed. But Ford also hosed up the power delivery so the motor will only give you those HP and torque numbers for a very short period of time at at lower speeds. Power gets drastically pulled above about 60mph. It’s designed to hit 0-60 in 3.5 seconds because that’s the number they put out there, but everywhere else it’s kind of dogshit.

Nobody other than Ford knows why they so aggressively cut power but it could be mechanical (insufficient cooling, motors not designed to handle sustained power) or excessive caution about longevity (don’t want to prematurely degrade battery pack).

They trap in the low 100s.

So in summary, the Mach-E is a bit poo poo then.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Steakandchips posted:

So in summary, the Mach-E is a bit poo poo then.

Nah, they are pretty good cars, the GT is just a disappointing performance model.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They shoulda called it an E-Scape and nobody would be complaining. Or they should have just come out with the regular Mustang Mach-E and waited for the GT & Performance editions until they had better cooling/battery/whatever tech.

But Ford had to Ford.

Like YOLO said they're fine other than the lack of performance in the GT models, they're a solid Tesla alternative.

Gearing is also part of the problem I think, the numbers I've been able to find have the Mustang at 9.05 final drive while the Tesla is in the low 8s I think. I also think Tesla's usually have different ratios front to rear while maybe the Ford doesn't? Seems like a smart thing to do, one better for acceleration and one better for top speed/efficiency.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My car has a top speed of 90mph / 145kph.

But sounds like I could pass a Mach-E above 60mph :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

My car has a top speed of 90mph / 145kph.

But sounds like I could pass a Mach-E above 60mph :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Would buy a brand new 2CV rn and be very happy.