Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Ended up getting roped into a last minute interview this afternoon which is doubly bad for my anxiety. But I like my boss and he pays me well so I sucked it up and I feel like it actually went pretty good, did a little bit of chit chatting with the candidate kinda just talking shop. Hope they felt good about it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Plorkyeran posted:

Slack video calls are garbage that don't work.

Weird. I use them every day. They work just fine. Have had zero issues. We do our standup, retro, planning, whatever, it's almost all through slack video calls. Smaller meetings are in huddles which also work fine.

Pairing is done through Tuple, though. Which is awesome.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Plorkyeran posted:

Slack video calls are garbage that don't work.

Video sucks up all the resources. I do my part by going audio-off, video-off during remote meetings.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Seems I have a forced (well, "asked") online video team building session later today:

quote:

Just a few housekeeping tips in preparation for the meeting:
  • To encourage participation and connection amongst each other, we ask that your cameras are turned on during the meeting

Guess it's time to :sever:.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Jeez that's all it takes for y'all these days? Turning video on during a team building meeting?

Working remote is cushy enough, being allowed to go video off during stand-ups and other work calls is icing on the cake. Demanding nobody look at you ever is pretty nuts.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Jeez that's all it takes for y'all these days? Turning video on during a team building meeting?

Working remote is cushy enough, being allowed to go video off during stand-ups and other work calls is icing on the cake. Demanding nobody look at you ever is pretty nuts.

Having the team building meeting in the first place was bad enough.

(Partly) joking there, but yeah, one of the benefits of remote work for me is not having to stress out about how I look every morning. I really hate being forced to turn the camera on.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 20, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I can assure you in no world is an HR-scheduled companywide video-on team building meeting in a startup company ever a really pleasant or net positive experience. It's not like I loathe my coworkers, more of the "HR-scheduled companywide video-on team building meeting" thing.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

mitztronic posted:

Weird. I use them every day. They work just fine. Have had zero issues. We do our standup, retro, planning, whatever, it's almost all through slack video calls. Smaller meetings are in huddles which also work fine.

May depend on when you've used it. Slack calling in general (video or otherwise) used to be loving awful but it seems like they've been gutting it and replacing the whole system in the last year or so. I only really use it for one-on-ones but it now works decently for that.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Judge Schnoopy posted:

There are other companies that don't do this bullshit though so why not leave for one of those if you can? If you want to have an all hands team building meeting where we can see each other's beautiful faces how about flying us to a beach resort for a week.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

As someone who has had to run present in meetings against eight boxes with cameras off and muted, I can understand why people want cameras on.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I did a demo last month where the VP who it was really for called in while driving because he had already decided but didn’t just cancel it. Smile and bill.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I watched as a guy called into a team meeting with camera on while on the freeway and I almost quit the meeting and went straight to HR to complain when my boss didn't immediately go "wtf hang up you idiot". If he ever does it again I might yell at him myself.

This is also the guy who occasionally makes his Zoom background a padded cell and I look forward to him doing that when I'm having a bad day so I can complain about that too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

smackfu posted:

As someone who has had to run present in meetings against eight boxes with cameras off and muted, I can understand why people want cameras on.

If a meeting with 9 participants still works when 8 of them are muted why is it a meeting?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Well it doesn’t work is the point.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

There are other companies that don't do this bullshit though so why not leave for one of those if you can? If you want to have an all hands team building meeting where we can see each other's beautiful faces how about flying us to a beach resort for a week.

My last employer used to do fun in-person stuff like that but now I get paid way more plus I don't go anywhere due to covid anyway

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

cum jabbar posted:

My last employer used to do fun in-person stuff like that but now I get paid way more plus I don't go anywhere due to covid anyway

We did a couple getaways with my current company before COVID hit and it was fun. I wouldn't want to do it all the time but a free semi-vacation once a year isn't bad.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

smackfu posted:

Well it doesn’t work is the point.

I mean if you're presenting to 8 other people and they have nothing to say about it, I'm guessing they're either not the best coworkers, you presented to the wrong group of people, or it was a straightforward enough presentation and no further commentary was needed. I'm not sure what forcing the camera on would do to change that necessarily.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

Protocol7 posted:

or it was a straightforward enough presentation and no further commentary was needed.

Based on the norms for remote working where I work, I would consider it super rude if literally everyone was off-vid and mute for an entire presentation. Social bonding with colleagues is really important and good communication - including seeing faces over video - is therefore also important.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Sorry about your dry presentation and/or lovely coworkers OP.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Daviclond posted:

Social bonding with colleagues is really important and good communication - including seeing faces over video - is therefore also important.

Based on what? It might be important to you. But my team does cameras off for pretty much everything and we've been quite effective. This is also the team I've done the least small talk get-to-know-you kind of stuff with and it's honestly refreshing. We get in, get our work done, get out, and are free to have normal social lives outside of work as we see fit.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'll throw out some emotes when I don't want to be on camera and have nothing to say.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If I'm presenting, I can't see anybody else anyway, since I only have one monitor, so I have the luxury of not giving a poo poo whether their cameras are on!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I like cameras on, but I normally just have single 5 minute standup a day. If I had multiple regular meetings a day I’d reconsider.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Harriet Carker posted:

Based on what? It might be important to you. But my team does cameras off for pretty much everything and we've been quite effective. This is also the team I've done the least small talk get-to-know-you kind of stuff with and it's honestly refreshing. We get in, get our work done, get out, and are free to have normal social lives outside of work as we see fit.

all my teams at my current job have been the polar opposite: I've generally formed friendships with the majority of my team and, since COVID and going near-fully remote, we spend a few hours each day hanging out in a video call while working and will passively chat about stuff. I find we're more effective this way in terms of sharing knowledge and solving random problems that come up ("oh yeah I had that weird build error last week, it was X" vs. burning an hour solving it on your own).

To each their own, but what you're describing is sterile and sad for my taste.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

smackfu posted:

Oh, you mean presenting on a conference call.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We never do cameras on at my work unless we're meeting with external people. I like not having to worry about being presentable. I chat and joke with coworkers but I don't need to see them to do that.

Daviclond posted:

we spend a few hours each day hanging out in a video call while working and will passively chat about stuff.

To me this is a nightmare, I wouldn't be able to get anything done. It reminds me of working in an open office. That said I did make a lot of great friends at the agency I worked at in my 20s that was an open office. I'm still close with a few them today. But now I just want to get my work done.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
It works very well as long as everyone stays muted

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Meetings, and especially presenting, without being able to see at least several people and their non-verbal communication is a much worse experience. Doesn't need to be everyone, but the difference between zero and 2-3 is very notable. Presenting, in particular, to blank screens sucks more than conference calls ever did.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
We only do video on for the last standup of the week. And even then we can only get about 7 of us going before the video and audio starts dropping out to the point of making it pointless. Otherwise we're all audio only, and usually only then if we have something smart rear end to say.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

prom candy posted:

I like not having to worry about being presentable.

To me this is a nightmare, I wouldn't be able to get anything done. It reminds me of working in an open office.

I think these beliefs are pretty extreme and are holding you back. Nobody cares what a bunch of goony devs look like, and chatting with teammates should not seem like "a nightmare" that will deprive you of all productivity.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Or, hear me out, people should be allowed to turn on their camera at their own comfort level. It doesn't need to be any more complex than that.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

CPColin posted:

I watched as a guy called into a team meeting with camera on while on the freeway and I almost quit the meeting and went straight to HR to complain when my boss didn't immediately go "wtf hang up you idiot". If he ever does it again I might yell at him myself.

This is also the guy who occasionally makes his Zoom background a padded cell and I look forward to him doing that when I'm having a bad day so I can complain about that too.

I do the Enterprise bridge, you gonna snitch on me too?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I dunno, do you also make light of mental illness while you do it?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

Or, hear me out, people should be allowed to turn on their camera at their own comfort level. It doesn't need to be any more complex than that.

Basically this.

I use a photo from my boat as my video background :sun:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Maybe it's a cry for help? Or a movie reference?

Is this person making inappropriate jokes during meetings?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is he jokerfying?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

thotsky posted:

Maybe it's a cry for help? Or a movie reference?

Is this person making inappropriate jokes during meetings?

Yes

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

My company has a meetings heavy culture and basically everyone has their camera on always and it sucks. I spent years on conference calls sharing decks or demoing to just voices until the pandemic, it was fine and I don't see the issue. People will talk if they need to say something or have a question. If no one is talking, your meeting sucks and could probably have just been a shared document or you need to pare down your meeting audience. Yeah, a bunch of names in the zoom client floating around sucks, but if people don't turn their cameras on, stop staring at the zoom client, pretend like you're on a phone call.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, so many meetings are delayed several weeks "so everybody can attend" and then involve just two or three people talking and the rest sitting on mute the whole time. Then the next one gets delayed so everybody can attend.

And if you try to point out how inefficient this is, you get the Not A Team Player label! Oh well, guess I'll just clean out my email archive folder for an hour. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

CPColin posted:

Yeah, so many meetings are delayed several weeks "so everybody can attend" and then involve just two or three people talking and the rest sitting on mute the whole time. Then the next one gets delayed so everybody can attend.

And if you try to point out how inefficient this is, you get the Not A Team Player label! Oh well, guess I'll just clean out my email archive folder for an hour. Again.

My meeting is important, everyone must care about it!

Ugh, we have such engagement issues on this team! Why don't people care about what is obviously important???