Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

:wrong:

The ideal online community is self-moderating. That is, the community "gatekeeps" without giving unilateral powers to select members. 4Chan is a cesspool because the community doesn't truly self-moderate, which is in fact part of its ethos.

I don't think this is realistically possible, most online communities will, if allowed to 'self moderate', simply become abusive shitholes of some kind or another. 'relaxed moderation' always means 'more slurs and people being mean / harassing others' and never anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It is possible cause I've seen and participated in the same many times :shrug:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

empty whippet box posted:

I don't think this is realistically possible, most online communities will, if allowed to 'self moderate', simply become abusive shitholes of some kind or another. 'relaxed moderation' always means 'more slurs and people being mean / harassing others' and never anything else.

Yep. Hell, we have seen this here in CSPAM many, many times. Some insane comment will go unreported, and then weeks/months later someone casually browsing for something else will be like "wait a minute, what the gently caress is this" and it'll become a huge shitshow, and the mods will come out and say "well, nobody reported it, so.."

The other thing is that the community's strong aversion to moderation will result in mods erring on the side of much lighter punishment, like with the guy who bragged about bricking a dog. It wasn't until the QCS thread weeks later that they got banned.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It is possible cause I've seen and participated in the same many times :shrug:

were these small, invite-only communities?

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Yep. Hell, we have seen this here in CSPAM many, many times. Some insane comment will go unreported, and then weeks/months later someone casually browsing for something else will be like "wait a minute, what the gently caress is this" and it'll become a huge shitshow, and the mods will come out and say "well, nobody reported it, so.."

The other thing is that the community's strong aversion to moderation will result in mods erring on the side of much lighter punishment, like with the guy who bragged about bricking a dog. It wasn't until the QCS thread weeks later that they got banned.

just so you know you got pretty much every single detail about this story wrong.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I assume the brick thing is STDH and probably just that person on psychotic break because it would have wound up in the news, people go to jail for years for that and my sleuthing shows no results that would match the timeframe.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I assume the brick thing is STDH and probably just that person on psychotic break because it would have wound up in the news, people go to jail for years for that and my sleuthing shows no results that would match the timeframe.

She said that the dogs attacked her in her back yard. In much of the united states you're allowed to kill anything on your property, regardless of whether it's threatening you.

E: idk my daughter's grandparents live in a wild village and a big pack of aggressive wild dogs has taken up residence nearby, I'm scared to let her play outside alone because of them. Banning someone for killing a dog that was attacking them in their own yard seemed a bit harsh to me.

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 16:32 on May 21, 2022

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it's possible to have self-moderating communities, obviously it is since people have experienced them. I haven't, but of course there'd be lots of different factors going into it. I don't think those communities are possible here and most of my online presence has always been here so I'm biased. in a place like cspam, for example, a thread which is allowed to have 'less' moderation inevitably is just used for all the negative behaviors that aren't allowed in other threads in the same forum, like using slurs, brigading, etc.

IAMKOREA posted:

She said that the dogs attacked her in her back yard. In much of the united states you're allowed to kill anything on your property, regardless of whether it's threatening you.

yea quite frankly the whole thing was a huge op and it worked. at worst it was stdh, but if you believed her story enough to ban her over it then there was never any good reason to disbelieve her version of events. i hate what happened with it and thought it was very unfair and was just mean people being mean because they like being mean.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

IAMKOREA posted:

E: idk my daughter's grandparents live in a wild village and a big pack of aggressive wild dogs has taken up residence nearby, I'm scared to let her play outside alone because of them. Banning someone for killing a dog that was attacking them in their own yard seemed a bit harsh to me.

hmm. if it’s legal it should be allowed to post about this type of direct action without fear of reprisal.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

hmm. if it’s legal it should be allowed to post about this type of direct action without fear of reprisal.

Idk what you're getting at but killing a dog that attacked you is absolutely not news worthy, at least not in the part of the states that I'm from

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

IAMKOREA posted:

Idk what you're getting at but killing a dog that attacked you is absolutely not news worthy, at least not in the part of the states that I'm from

for starters

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/peninsula-man-facing-3-years-in-jail-for-killing-neighbors-dog-with-brick/

there are so many stories like this from the whole country, idk what wild part you are at.

I was being facetious about the other thing. dogs are a lot of carbon though, so I’ve heard.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i think it was the way they bragged about killing the dog and going back inside and making dinner or whatever that rubbed people the wrong way

nobody who is normal in the head can be nonchalant about that kind of stuff

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

every cop kills at least 3 dogs a day, and they don't get banned for it

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I mean FTC was pretty open about their life troubles and ptsd

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

for starters

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/peninsula-man-facing-3-years-in-jail-for-killing-neighbors-dog-with-brick/

there are so many stories like this from the whole country, idk what wild part you are at.

I was being facetious about the other thing. dogs are a lot of carbon though, so I’ve heard.

i mean in your example a dude bricked a Chihuahua in San Francisco yeah that wouldn't go over well

I'm from a shithole state where killing humans on your property gets you a big pat on the back from the cops. I realize you're an immigrant living on the west coast but i promise you in many parts of the country this really would not be seen as a big deal. Property rights trump all.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I mean FTC was pretty open about their life troubles and ptsd

that’s why I think a psychotic break without that happening is equally likely. probably should be offline for a while if you are like that though.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slow News Day posted:

i think it was the way they bragged about killing the dog and going back inside and making dinner or whatever that rubbed people the wrong way

nobody who is normal in the head can be nonchalant about that kind of stuff

how is someone supposed to post in the wake of something like that? people don't have traumatic experiences - which that, if it happened, certainly was one - and then just immediately process it and act correctly. the fact is, there was no reason to disbelieve her version of events. trying to police how someone reacts in the wake of a thing like that is awful, and permabanning them from one of the spaces that helped them through troubled times in their lives and was an important social space for them is unbelievably cruel in reality. nobody who went on the witch hunt cared about the dog, or any of that poo poo. it was just people who wanted to hurt someone else and thought they had an acceptable reason to do so, and spun and retold the story until it was shaped the way they wanted it to be, and the mods bought it. :shrug:

Mayday Cat
May 1, 2022

by sebmojo
holy gently caress who cares

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

how is someone supposed to post in the wake of something like that? people don't have traumatic experiences - which that, if it happened, certainly was one - and then just immediately process it and act correctly. the fact is, there was no reason to disbelieve her version of events. trying to police how someone reacts in the wake of a thing like that is awful, and permabanning them from one of the spaces that helped them through troubled times in their lives and was an important social space for them is unbelievably cruel in reality. nobody who went on the witch hunt cared about the dog, or any of that poo poo. it was just people who wanted to hurt someone else and thought they had an acceptable reason to do so, and spun and retold the story until it was shaped the way they wanted it to be, and the mods bought it. :shrug:

Also like, even if you're mad about the dead dog, why was it off leash attacking people? Permaban the dogs owner imho

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mayday Cat posted:

shut up bitch go register another acount about it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

IAMKOREA posted:

i mean in your example a dude bricked a Chihuahua in San Francisco yeah that wouldn't go over well

I'm from a shithole state where killing humans on your property gets you a big pat on the back from the cops. I realize you're an immigrant living on the west coast but i promise you in many parts of the country this really would not be seen as a big deal. Property rights trump all.

I guess that could be it. I’m routinely surprised by things like learning white dudes will get invited to join up with the local whites gang as they’re casually walking down the street by yourself in parts of the PNW. feel incredulous every day

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the lesson here goes back to the same one that Rime has trouble learning, that being right doesn't matter as much as being in compliance with social norms, especially as the group size shrinks.

if everyone else is turning a blind eye towards someone snatching an extra cricket ration because their child is sick, you will not maintain your social in group status by tattling.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Mayday Cat posted:

Sure, but also the same people who just tried to invade this thread and only wound up embarrassing themselves did the same thing to the Covid thread using that incident as an excuse and tried to extrapolate the lamest most baseless poo poo about masking and Covid preventive measures and posters' personal lives

Somebody does something stupid and it courts a bunch of wannabes trying to work out their pent up resentment on anyone who thinks differently from them (takes covid or climate change seriously)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
we have no way to verify if the bricking was justified or not but nonchalantly bragging about it was hella creepy so i don't see why we're relitigating that ban yet again

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

we have no way to verify if the bricking was justified or not but nonchalantly bragging about it was hella creepy so i don't see why we're relitigating that ban yet again

i mean the conversation seems to have moved on so no need to :qq: about it imo

e: I mean NOW it's going to continue, because you continued it lol

empty whippet box has issued a correction as of 16:57 on May 21, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cold on a Cob posted:

it’s the D&D poster that brought it up with incorrect details, and being incorrect on the details online is famously the best way to generate discussion. literally an op by D&D operatives.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

Idk i don't remember it as bragging, more like "man a really hosed up thing happened to me today" which should be okay to post about imho. But i also don't really care if aggressive dogs that attack humans get killed so maybe I'm the weirdo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

go touch (co2) graphs

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

IAMKOREA posted:

Idk i don't remember it as bragging, more like "man a really hosed up thing happened to me today" which should be okay to post about imho. But i also don't really care if aggressive dogs that attack humans get killed so maybe I'm the weirdo.

How can you not care that a Heckerino Doggocitizen was MURDERED?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

SKULL.GIF posted:

How can you not care that a Heckerino Doggocitizen was MURDERED?

I guess we know there is at least one thing faster than a dog

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

there was this article on medium that was translated from Chinese showing how westerners think dogs are basically like themselves whereas it’s separate in China and more materialist somehow. can’t find it. had some diagrams and I posted it before, would appreciate finding it again.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mayday Cat posted:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
thread invaders is just forums speak for climate immigrant, wake up sheeple

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

go touch (co2) graphs

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

FTC had also wished death upon everybody in the Covid thread previous to that so yes ban probably good

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Teenage Riot posted:

FTC had also wished death upon everybody in the Covid thread previous to that so yes ban probably good

when was that? I dunno nothin about that

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

just crank & touch graphs

sea ice extent going full joker grin

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

let’s get back on track (to 4C)

Man Musk posted:

imagine a world where when given a choice, people would rather travel for leisure than for work urine one

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

when was that? I dunno nothin about that

facetoucher cat posted:

yep! I actually hope every single one of you dies a painful death, and your children :)

go kill yourselves you absolute losers!

BYEEEEEE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yea I'd normally expect a ban out of that for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Teenage Riot posted:

Who among us