Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I want to share this since the anime did include the extra panel with Shirogane’s friends (phone posting, so if the image is massive I’m sorry!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Carlosologist posted:

I want to share this since the anime did include the extra panel with Shirogane’s friends (phone posting, so if the image is massive I’m sorry!)

Lmao these two are basically anime protagonists themselves.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Carlosologist posted:

They show up quite a bit in the spinoff about the newspaper club girls (because they have crushes on those girls)

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

are the newspaper club girls the ones that get struck by lightning in the OP

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

wolfs posted:

are the newspaper club girls the ones that get struck by lightning in the OP

Yes. They're basically this thread personified and split into 2 anime girls.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1527723847230935050?t=tEqNOYa5uD_wmrH_I0gipw&s=19

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Fujiwara throwing shade at Kashiwagi got a good laugh out of me

That thread explaining why the middle of the episode looked like something out of 1998 made it even funnier for me. Fujiwara putting the headband on again was good too

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Ishigami doing a surprisingly good job at looking dependable.

I like how Kaguya's archery explanation is basically in spirit the same as Shirou's. "I dunno, I just shoot the bow and it hits :geno:."

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
I wonder if they'll make it to the second mass media vs. TTG chapter this season. This chapter doesn't even have time to get into Karen being shiptrash.

Shirogane and the balloons is an even better bit right after the previous segment, where he made an entire papier-mache dragon on his own, in his spare time.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MikeSevigny posted:

I wonder if they'll make it to the second mass media vs. TTG chapter this season. This chapter doesn't even have time to get into Karen being shiptrash.

Shirogane and the balloons is an even better bit right after the previous segment, where he made an entire papier-mache dragon on his own, in his spare time.

Shirogane is like the guy who can do anything but can't wiggle his ears.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Shirogane is like the guy who can do anything but can't wiggle his ears.

Shirogane is either amazing at something or an unbelievable disaster. There is very little middle ground.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean I haven't read the manga yet so maybe I'm wrong, but the vibe I get from the anime is that Shirogane is by default bad at basically everything, but is also willing to put in an insane amount of effort to drag himself up when it matters to him. Like I don't get the feeling that he's first in his class because he's naturally book smart, it's because he somehow finds a way to cram 25 hours of studying into a 24 hour day so he can stand out academically to Kaguya. He's a pretty ordinary dude from pretty ordinary circumstances absolutely busting his balls to eek out an edge over a bunch of naturally talented and materially better off peers.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Diligence is it's own skill.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao new favorite face dropped:

Gaius Marius posted:

I didn't mean any of that in a way to poo poo talk Shirogane, I think he stands out because he's so driven to make up for his shortcomings when most would just be disheartened and quit. And if nothing else if he does have one natural "talent", it's his empathy and desire to do good. He constantly goes out of his way to help others and it leads to some of the best moments in the series so far, like him getting up on stage with Iino to engage her in a genuine debate so she can save face in her campaign, or clearing Ishigami's name.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

That's one of the central themes in Blue Period!

The protagonist thinks of himself as just an ordinary guy who has to bust his rear end to compete with all of these brilliant natural talents, but it's pointed out that being able to work like that is also an unusual ability, something that some of his peers envy since they have to rely on more mercurial natural ability rather than being able to knuckle down and get things done.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

chiasaur11 posted:

That's one of the central themes in Blue Period!

The protagonist thinks of himself as just an ordinary guy who has to bust his rear end to compete with all of these brilliant natural talents, but it's pointed out that being able to work like that is also an unusual ability, something that some of his peers envy since they have to rely on more mercurial natural ability rather than being able to knuckle down and get things done.

One of my favourite expressions is "Hard work beats talent when talent stops working hard." Or something to that effect.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Or more importantly History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, where a dude goes from a lamer to the strongest in the world out of sheer desire to get a girl. Chad move fr

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This episode did show Iino's growth in getting something for the festival despite pushback.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So what is Kyoto University's long slogan then?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MikeSevigny posted:

where he made an entire papier-mache dragon on his own, in his spare time.

Speaking of which, that whole scene was a reference to the original Kaguya folktale, where the character Shirogane is named after - one of Kaguya's suitors - was given the impossible task of retrieving a dragon's jewel/orb. Obviously Shirogane was making a paper-mache orb entwined by a dragon so that's clearly a reference, but the yakuza girl taking a nap next to him is also the character named after the orb (in the same way that Tsubame is named after Ishigami's treasure).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 21, 2022

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I still delight in all the Kaguya folktale stuff that's sprinkled throughout the manga and anime. It kind of blew my mind when I first had it explained to me.

I don't mind that there was some obvious budget-saving stuff in the animation of this episode, because clearly they put heaps of effort into the rap episode and I have to imagine everything for the festival itself is going to be all-time Kaguya anime great.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Arbite posted:

I also really want to know this now

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Arbite posted:

Sindai posted:

I also really want to know this now
pulled from reddit:

japanese blog explaining it: https://web.archive.org/web/20160702003523/https://eicear.hatenablog.com/entry/2016/06/21/212134

for the record, this is what the scanlators localized it as when the chapter first came out:

and this is what i assume is closer to a more literal translation from viz:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, I figured in the manga and anime it's not a literal copy of the slogan Kyoto U used, but more something that gets across the general vibe. And is probably equally as gibberish if you try to translate it, so pretty much every translation just kind of does their own thing with trying to convey what's going on there.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I assumed the joke was that the nerdy guy wrote something equally as dumb, he just had to justify why it might be clever.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Carlosologist posted:

Fujiwara throwing shade at Kashiwagi got a good laugh out of me

That thread explaining why the middle of the episode looked like something out of 1998 made it even funnier for me. Fujiwara putting the headband on again was good too

Which thread was this?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Electric Phantasm posted:

Which thread was this?

Right above my post!

Also, anime only people you should also read the manga because it’s somehow just as funny even without being animated

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm someone who is very much of the belief that since this is a romcom with great characters it really doesn't matter if the two lead idiots actually manage to get together anytime soon, the episode to episode journey is great.

but god drat it I'm going to have to figure out how to leap into the TV and make them figure it out aaaag :argh::rant:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Carlosologist posted:

Right above my post!

Also, anime only people you should also read the manga because it’s somehow just as funny even without being animated

Didn't realize that was a whole thread about the episode lol thank you.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Electric Phantasm posted:

Didn't realize that was a whole thread about the episode lol thank you.

Yeah I had to scroll up I think to get it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

by the way the dub of the rap episode is as amazing as you think it is

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is it wrong to think that this week was one of the weaker episodes? And it was still perfectly watchable.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

It probably wasn't quite as funny as some of the others this season, but thats just because this season has been amazing so far

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This episode was necessary to set up the culture festival, a big flag event in most of these stories

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It definitely felt fillerish overall but it had its moments. I really like Iino's development so far and her coming out of her shell just a bit to stan for a bonfire was nice. I particularly liked the bit where Ishigami offered to bail her out with (presumably) some kind of loophole to get what she wanted and instead she stuck her neck out to make a legitimate case for it and went around the neighborhood soliciting approval.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
A very important element of the cultural festival got mentioned (the heart).

This episode will also be a great one to go back to after the arc is over because there are a lot of easter eggs in every scene.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I see people talking about Bamboo Cutter references in Kaguya and I'm compelled to post this video again

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shirogane going to Kaguya when he's worried about being bad at something instead of desperately hiding it from her was a nice piece of development.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well it will save Chika some grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Dragon Style is far too powerful in an animated format.