Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

well, my homeowners finally made me an offer for my roof, just prior to actually collecting depositions. let's see what they'll do for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Deviant posted:

well, my homeowners finally made me an offer for my roof, just prior to actually collecting depositions. let's see what they'll do for me.

How much have you paid in legal consultation fees so far? I'm curious how much it would cost (i.e. how many paid hours) to start the consultation process before actually serving any process if I need to take any legal action in my life, beyond small claims (assuming yours would not have been small claims).

Or maybe it would've been some sort of mediation / arbitration dealio and I'm off base.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 21, 2022

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Inner Light posted:

How much have you paid in legal consultation fees so far? I'm curious how much it would cost (i.e. how many paid hours) to start the consultation process before actually serving any process if I need to take any legal action in my life, beyond small claims (assuming yours would not have been small claims).

Or maybe it would've been some sort of mediation / arbitration dealio and I'm off base.

Not a dime. This has all been on contingency, and part of the homeowners offer is that they're covering my legal fees.

for reference, the ins co's initial offer was $35000 to me, plus legal fees and independent adjuster's fees

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

raggedphoto posted:

Closed on our house 2.5 weeks ago and we've already put in about 250 working hours, a lot of that being scraping wallpaper and flaking paint. Wallpaper 4-5 layers thick with paint between some of them in every room. Thought the living room was clear but turns out there was just paint over 3 layers of nasty wallpaper. Skim coated all the ceilings and walls after scrapping everything off and about to get ready for primer/paint. I refinished the hardwood floors, kitchen remodel is almost done and this weekend I start in on the bathroom and plumbing. It's been really great to work on our own house but gently caress wallpaper.

https://imgur.com/J4Gzy0n

That's giving me flashbacks of redoing the guest bathroom. Wallpaper. Ugh. Some of it can look really good, but tearing it out is the pits. What's that device you were using?

e:

raggedphoto posted:

I rented a steamer for a week and it got a lot of use, it worked great but couldn't get through all the layers in one pass. I think having plaster walls helped a lot given that I didn't have to worry about the paper layer of drywall.

Seriously.

That makes sense. Yeah I can't see drywall coming out of that too well.

Sous Videodrome fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 21, 2022

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

Worst I ever saw was a home my parents bought in the late 90s. POs were there from like 1971 and it was full of VERY 70s touches, like the “conversation pit” in the living room that they had torn out and turned into a normal floor before we moved in. Said pit had shag carpeting.

In the room right off the kitchen (probably dining room on floor plan but we used it as a book room) the walls were papered in this textured abomination. Apparently it was VERY chic in the late 70s. Imagine yellow wallpaper but with reeds or thick grass or something in it. Like, IN the paper. All oriented vertically. The effect was kind of like what you see on a thatched roof but wallpaper.

Yeah that poo poo came off in tiny strips no matter how much it was steamed or chemical bombed. The grass just acted like a natural tear like and there was no way to get the paper off anything like intact.

I will never forget that two months of my mom scraping and cussing in that room. We still talk about it today, over 20 years later.

quote:

textured abomination. Apparently it was VERY chic in the late 70s. Imagine yellow wallpaper but with reeds or thick grass or something in it. Like, IN the paper. All oriented vertically. The effect was kind of like what you see on a thatched roof but wallpaper.

Oh yeah, that poo poo was everywhere in the place I grew up in

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Wrong thread! But if you want the right thread, check out the revived random waffle images thread in GBS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002065

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 21, 2022

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What are some options for draining a dehumidifier in a basement so I don’t have to empty it myself?

I don’t have a drain in the basement and I’m on a septic tank. I’ve got some basement windows, I’ve got the dual-hinged metal doors with stairs going down to the basement, and I’ve got the main wastewater PVC pipe that runs along the wall until it connects to the septic.

I’d have the dehumidifier on a raised platform which would use a hose to drain into a condensate pump I imagine. I just don’t know where I could reasonably put the condensate pump to drain out towards.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can get ones that have a built in pump. I have one that gets snaked over to my basement washtubs. Never have to empty it.
It's a long thin hose no clue how long you want to run it but check out how far one can pump and see if it works. My hose is like 20 ft

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 21, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What does the grade outside of the area near where you want to put the dehumidifier look like? Because if it's a good enough slope away from the foundation I don't see why you wouldn't drill and run 1/4" right on through there as the outlet for a condensate pump (if your dehumidifier doesn't have one already).

If you have any sump pit(s) or need them I'd be happy to use those and their pumps for dehumidifier condensate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Put the dehumidifier nearest the drain

Put a fan on the other side of the room and turn both on

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Motronic posted:

What does the grade outside of the area near where you want to put the dehumidifier look like? Because if it's a good enough slope away from the foundation I don't see why you wouldn't drill and run 1/4" right on through there as the outlet for a condensate pump (if your dehumidifier doesn't have one already).

If you have any sump pit(s) or need them I'd be happy to use those and their pumps for dehumidifier condensate.

No sump pump pits to use. The outside ground is fairly flat. I’ll have to check on the grading.

Stupid question : what about winter time with that 1/4” hole drilled? Do I just leave it or seal it up somehow?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

Stupid question : what about winter time with that 1/4” hole drilled? Do I just leave it or seal it up somehow?

It need to be sloped away from the house so there's never any standing water in it to freeze.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I do not have a truck/don't have access to one, but I do have an alarmingly big trunk and not afraid to lash the trunk lid closed to make something fit for the three mile trip to the garage

Need a tool storage solution. There is a harbor freight tools nearby

In my garage I have an existing gray with red drawers craftsman tool storage box I inherited, from the 80s it is ~27wx18dx39h", with matching top chest. It has somehow survived at least three cross country moves (made in USA?)

This looks like a similar match to what I have? Mine is 18" deep but the industry seems to have moved on over the past 30+ years to a deeper toolchest (22"d)

https://www.harborfreight.com/26-in-x-22-in-single-bank-roller-cabinet-red-64162.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/26-in-single-bank-top-chest-red-64160.html

These look like a good option? $590 to store a couple thousand dollars worth of crap tools?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

I do not have a truck/don't have access to one, but I do have an alarmingly big trunk and not afraid to lash the trunk lid closed to make something fit for the three mile trip to the garage

In my garage I have an existing gray with red drawers craftsman tool storage box I inherited, from the 80s it is ~27wx18dx39h", with matching top chest. It has somehow survived at least three cross country moves (made in USA?)

This looks like a similar match to what I have? Mine is 18" deep but the industry seems to have moved on over the past 30+ years to a deeper toolchest (22"d)

https://www.harborfreight.com/26-in-x-22-in-single-bank-roller-cabinet-red-64162.html

These look like a good option? $590 to store a couple thousand dollars worth of crap tools?

That’s fine. Ball bearing slides are always ideal. Not sure what trunk the bottom piece is going to fit into though. The ones we used to sell at sears always had extra styrofoam on all sides, increasing the dimensions.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hadlock posted:

Rent a truck from home depot or uhaul. It's like $20.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have this and have no regrats. It's a decent roller.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Rent a truck from home depot or uhaul. It's like $20.

I also need to manhandle the device in and out of the truck car, solo

tater_salad posted:

I have this and have no regrats. It's a decent roller.

Cool thanks :cool:

Worlds most expensive grease gun storage system

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

Put the dehumidifier nearest the drain

Put a fan on the other side of the room and turn both on

Or the dehumidifier on one side of the room, a fan and humidifier on the other side. Drain the dehumidifier into the humidifier. Then sous vide between the two. Or farm mushrooms!

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 22, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

Excellent option. Was gifted these by my son & daughter-in-law two years ago. Wish I'd gotten them sooner instead of fumbling around for too many years.

Get the 2-piece magnetic paper towel holder. Also a strip magnet to hold hammers & a flatbar on the side.

Yes, I printed paper labels for the drawer pulls

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 22, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hadlock posted:

I also need to manhandle the device in and out of the truck car, solo

Cool thanks :cool:

Worlds most expensive grease gun storage system

Don't ask for help. Throw your back out. Be a man.

Good point, perhaps recruit a friend too? Ply them with a cool beer.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You can also throw in a hand truck rental to go with the van or box truck at U-Haul (box trucks even have loading ramps). Or, pay for delivery?

Loving all the color choices on the Harbor Freight cabinets.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 22, 2022

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well there's yer problem right there

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Finally the flex tape situation we've all been waiting for

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Don't ask for help. Throw your back out. Be a man.

Good point, perhaps recruit a friend too? Ply them with a cool beer.

I'm over 30, wfh and moved cross country in the middle of a pandemic, my only friends are my immediate family (50% of whom are under 18 months) and the corner store guy who sells me beer, and that last one is a real stretch

:negative:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hadlock posted:

I'm over 30, wfh and moved cross country in the middle of a pandemic, my only friends are my immediate family (50% of whom are under 18 months) and the corner store guy who sells me beer, and that last one is a real stretch

:negative:

One of my strongest reasons for not moving is having my friends here. Like I'm sure I'd make new ones but I don't wanna.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's not that awful I got it out of my van on my own. I'd say have em load.it in your vehicle upside-down so the bottom is facing out the. Just pull and slide. It's not massively heavy.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Question for y'all.

The front of our house used to have a really nice porch, which the PO enclosed to create something of a sun room. They then installed some absolutely dogshit-tier commercial-grade carpeting throughout, including over the metal ... plate ... thingy ... at the base of the door leading into the living room (which presumably wouldn't be there if this were a normal door and not the former entrance to the house).

We've since ripped up all the carpet and intend to install some vinyl plank flooring, and I expect that to be a pretty easy gig — except I have no idea what the gently caress to do with this metal piece. It starts flush with the rest of the sun room floor, but ramps up slightly to nearly meet the base of the doorframe.

Could I get away with just putting the vinyl over it and trying to install a normal transition into the house itself? Or (what I think is more likely) does this metal piece have to go? And if so, how?

Also, stupid question: What the gently caress is this metal piece even called? Googling for this has not been fun.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Depends on the slope and context but either "threshold" (extension, anyways) or probably "flashing" which is kind of a generic catch all for water proofing/directing water away from the inside of the house... Probably. Hard to tell why they added the metal plating but to me at least, looks like flashing

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Threshold or Sill Plate

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Are you referring to the sill plate - which spans the actual door opening, or the sheet steel in front, over the OSB subfloor?

Because that steel plate should not be there; the only reason I can think of that it is there is to cover an area of collapsed OSB subfloor, which is typically where it fails because that’s where most folks instinctively plant their foot when going through the doorway.

I replaced a few soft spots in my brother-in-law’s portable house because of this, though that was bellyboard…OSB is not a whole lot better…

I’d pull the steel plate and see what the hell is going on under there. It’ll never be easier to cut it out & replace the section (across the joists) with a piece of plywood. incidentally, the threshold / sill plate is supposed to be installed over the subfloor and whatever floor finish you install…it should sit proud of the floor level. Yours looks oddly recessed. You want the subfloor to be relatively even on both sides of the doorway.

E: you’d also have to notch out the bottom 1/4” - 1/2” of the door stop, above the floor level, On both sides of the opening, so that the threshold can be slipped in underneath it. May have to trim the bottom of the door slab as well.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 23, 2022

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm talking about the sill plate, which I now know is called a sill plate thanks to y'all. Not sure what's up with that layer of sheet steel, because the plywood feels plenty solid there. I can pull it up and check, though.

The sill plate is digging into the floor itself because when the PO decided to enclose the porch and do the flooring they installed the thick plywood and cut it around the sill plate. Leveling the whole thing out looks like it's going to be a pain in the rear end, unfortunately.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

I'm talking about the sill plate, which I now know is called a sill plate thanks to y'all. Not sure what's up with that layer of sheet steel, because the plywood feels plenty solid there. I can pull it up and check, though.

Pretty good chance the steel plate is just covering up access to the murder room

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Deviant posted:

I’m curious what the backstory is on this?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Typical arc:

:phone: *claim submitted for roof*

:whip: Ins Co: We sent out an adjuster who never got up on the roof but took amazing photos. That roof is all wear & tear damage. There's no wind or hail damage. (option 1: :whip: sends a denial letter. Proceed directly to court)

:phone: *submits his own roofer's report & estimate, with photos from the roof & a short video showing the potato-chip nature of the shingles* says right here that a bunch of shingles were damaged by wind/hail and that the roof won't pass a brittle test & thus needs to be completely replaced!

:whip: Hmmm. OK. Now that we actually sent out a roofer, you have 186-damaged shingles. Here's our estimate to replace them.

:phone: Uh, you missed the part where my roofer says that the shingles are too brittle to take being bent for such a repair. Also, he wants to know who the gently caress would replace 186-shingles.

:whip: well, our guy says it can be done. So gently caress off.

*appraisal ensues*

:whip: OK, we'll pay to replace the front slope, and use salvaged shingle* to repair the rear slope!

*litigation ensues*

* not really A Thing, but some companies will try it

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 24, 2022

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I don't get it, if a roofer just replaces those 186 shingles while damaging the others wouldn't that just lead to another claim almost immediately? They just like loving with people don't they?

Started in on my bathroom remodel and I gotta say that I love my house. After pulling up the 3 layers of old flooring the tongue and groove subfloor was in perfect shape and perfectly flat! There are water marks from the toilet leaking at some point but some core tests of the wood showed it was surface level water penetration. Tonight I get to remove the poured lead and hemp cast iron toilet flange, can't wait!

raggedphoto fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 24, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That's why we do a brittle test: In such case, you don't even attempt it, you just write to replace the affected slope(s) .

Doesn't stop some companies from continuing to strenuously gently caress that chicken.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Typical arc:

:whip: Ins Co: We sent out an adjuster who never got up on the roof but took amazing photos. That roof is all wear & tear damage. There's no wind or hail damage. (option 1: :whip: sends a denial letter. Proceed directly to court)

:phone: *submits his own roofer's report & estimate, with photos from the roof & a short video showing the potato-chip nature of the shingles* says right here that a bunch of shingles were damaged by wind/hail and that the roof won't pass a brittle test & thus needs to be completely replaced!

:whip: Hmmm. OK. Now that we actually sent out a roofer, you have 186-damaged shingles. Here's our estimate to replace them.

:phone: Uh, you missed the part where my roofer says that the shingles are too brittle to take being bent for such a repair. Also, he wants to know who the gently caress would replace 186-shingles.

*appraisal ensues*

:whip: OK, we'll pay to replace the front slope, and use salvaged shingle* to repair the rear slope!

*litigation ensues*

Oh cool sounds like my last roof claim except the USAA adjuster told us in person the roof was a full replacement before filing the report saying it was a shingle repair job.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Typical arc:

*appraisal ensues*

*litigation ensues*

are you me? we're now collecting depositions for the ongoing litigation and they're making offers to get me to go away, whereas i am making demands to go away.

you should have just replaced the roof. now you get to replace the roof and pay my lawyer and adjuster.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
I'm working on getting a HELOC through Bethpage and while I'm pre-approved and the appraisal came back good, I still haven't signed anything yet. They're asking me "to add Bethpage as a 2nd mortgagee" to my homeowner's insurance and send them a copy, but this seems weird to me to do before I've signed on to the HELOC. Is that normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Deviant posted:

are you me? we're now collecting depositions for the ongoing litigation and they're making offers to get me to go away, whereas i am making demands to go away.

you should have just replaced the roof. now you get to replace the roof and pay my lawyer and adjuster.

Well, if you have a public adjuster, they'll just take a percentage of your estimate as their fee.

(I am not a fan of PAs.)

Be sure you get the percentage in writing (unless you're in Delaware, in which case it's capped at 10%). I've seen fees as high as 60% (which is egregious, even for PAs, but hey, if there's no law against it & the insured doesn't read the contract...)

At least the lawyer will make a demand including some amount as a punishment for your insurer being such idiots, which should cover most of his contingency fee.