Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Read After Burning posted:

Well, not sure on the etiquette on this (I only buy on Discogs and have never sold), but if that is a known issue with that version/pressing of the album, then it could technically still be considered VG+? Like, "It's a known fact that this album was mis-pressed and has two side Cs rather than a side C and side D, so I am grading this on the current condition the disc is in, not grading it on the quality of that pressing"? (Sorry if this makes no sense. :420:)

No, that does make sense, but there's nothing in the listing for this particular pressing album that says this is an issue in general. It wasn't listed by this particular seller where I guess I was presuming based on VG+ that it has been played by someone.

I get your point, but I suppose I'd hope that if this was known -- that three whole songs weren't included when you buy this particular pressing -- that this would be flagged up top in the listing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It definitely would've been labelled a Mispress in the album listing. This is just a seller not checking their product before putting it up. VG+ is a vague enough "Sure no one is really going to actually ask questions as long as it plays and looks good" indicator that its real easy to slap it on something without checking.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Definitely a case of the seller taking a gamble and you're left to deal with it (get refund). Rude seller.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

dorium posted:

It definitely would've been labelled a Mispress in the album listing.

Aha, I didn't know that was one of the descriptors that Discogs offers for the release page (assuming you mean under 'Format', where it gives info such as stereo vs mono, the color of the disc, and whether its a re-issue). I've yet to come across one of those.

McCoy Pauley posted:

It wasn't listed by this particular seller where I guess I was presuming based on VG+ that it has been played by someone.

You'd think so, but apparently it's pretty common to glance at it, go "Yup, that looks VG+/NM" and put it up for sale without even listening to it. :stare: I buy from a few sellers that listen to each record before it goes out...or at least, they claim to.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 20, 2022

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Huh -- looking at other listings for the same album on Discogs, there is one listed where the seller has a comment reading "PLEASE READ: Media is actually like new HOWEVER weird pressing defect LP2 IS SIDE 3 ON BOTH SIDES, even though label says otherwise...great collectors item."

Which if I'd bought that one, fair play, that's on me. But my seller didn't list this one that way. Well, I only just messaged him this afternoon, so I figure it's fair to take a day or two to get back to me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What album is it?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

drat. Had a double LP arrive today from Discogs and on the second disc, side 4 appears twice and there is no side 3.

This is not what I would call VG+, as the Discogs seller indicated. What a bummer. Hope the guy sorts this out quickly.

VG+ has nothing to do with release information; usually major mispress will have a release page and a good seller will make sure they have it listed correctly, it's on the buyer to make sure they are getting the correct version they want. I usually list in the description when this happens to give a heads up but some do slip through the cracks. If sent the wrong release version than what was ordered then yeah that's absolutely on the seller.

Aha, I didn't know that was one of the descriptors that Discogs offers for the release page (assuming you mean under 'Format', where it gives info such as stereo vs mono, the color of the disc, and whether its a re-issue). I've yet to come across one of those.

You'd think so, but apparently it's pretty common to glance at it, go "Yup, that looks VG+/NM" and put it up for sale without even listening to it. :stare: I buy from a few sellers that listen to each record before it goes out...or at least, they claim to.

I don't even sell full time and there's no way i'd have time to do that, most records I have played at one point tho so I tend to know, and I do drop needles on anything that looks below VG+ but honestly again I do not have time to listen to the tracks in full. I would on request though, I have no problems with pictures and stuff.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Huh -- looking at other listings for the same album on Discogs, there is one listed where the seller has a comment reading "PLEASE READ: Media is actually like new HOWEVER weird pressing defect LP2 IS SIDE 3 ON BOTH SIDES, even though label says otherwise...great collectors item."

Which if I'd bought that one, fair play, that's on me. But my seller didn't list this one that way. Well, I only just messaged him this afternoon, so I figure it's fair to take a day or two to get back to me.

I remember this being a huge issue for some Roadrunner releases.

Dream Theater's Systematic Chaos was the worst victim. Every US copy had the "Side 3 pressed twice" issue.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I preordered the new Arcade Fire back in March, paid $11 in shipping, the album came out over 2 weeks ago, and it still hasn't been delivered. I emailed them last night saying that it appeared to be lost in transit, and I just got an email back saying they're shipping me a new one. Maybe both will show up, who knows.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

BigFactory posted:

What album is it?

Trouble Will Find Me

Assuming I know how to read a Discogs entry (which I'd like to think I can, but maybe not a fair assumption), I'm not seeing anything saying it's a known issue with the album in general.

Aside from being annoying for me personally, my kids are probably enjoying this because it's preventing me from playing Side 3 really loud over and over.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

McCoy Pauley posted:

Trouble Will Find Me

Assuming I know how to read a Discogs entry (which I'd like to think I can, but maybe not a fair assumption), I'm not seeing anything saying it's a known issue with the album in general.

Aside from being annoying for me personally, my kids are probably enjoying this because it's preventing me from playing Side 3 really loud over and over.

Sorry man, Graceless is a banger and they’re missing out. At least you got Pink Rabbits and Humiliation.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Sorry man, Graceless is a banger and they’re missing out. At least you got Pink Rabbits and Humiliation.

Yeah, if this wasn't happening I'd be singing "I Need My Girl" really loud and embarrassing my kids. What a bummer.

Assuming the seller works out a refund, it's making me a little jumpy about buying another copy. Is it fair to assume that if there are widespread misprinting issues with this specific release there would more written about it in comments on Discogs?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, if this wasn't happening I'd be singing "I Need My Girl" really loud and embarrassing my kids. What a bummer.

Assuming the seller works out a refund, it's making me a little jumpy about buying another copy. Is it fair to assume that if there are widespread misprinting issues with this specific release there would more written about it in comments on Discogs?

Send a message before paying asking the seller to check and any good seller should accommodate no problem. Also my guess is the seller will ask you to return it and then refund in full when they get it back, I think paypal can cover your return shipping.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Virgil Vox posted:

Send a message before paying asking the seller to check and any good seller should accommodate no problem. Also my guess is the seller will ask you to return it and then refund in full when they get it back, I think paypal can cover your return shipping.

Thanks -- that's good advice.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I think the few "we listen to every record before we send it out" accounts I've bought from (again, assuming they are actually doing this) were record stores with a Discogs account, not an individual. I'd assume it's easier to give everything a test-listen if you have a few employees. Not saying any seller is "obligated" to do this, I have no doubt that would take up half your day! Just pointing out that there are a few who do so (or at least claim to), but those seem to be pretty rare for the reasons you mentioned.

Virgil Vox posted:

VG+ has nothing to do with release information; usually major mispress will have a release page and a good seller will make sure they have it listed correctly, it's on the buyer to make sure they are getting the correct version they want. I usually list in the description when this happens to give a heads up but some do slip through the cracks. If sent the wrong release version than what was ordered then yeah that's absolutely on the seller.

:yeah: This is what I was trying to say, thank you. Ideally the seller points out any pressing issues (since some folks...like me...don't really care much about versions or pressings) to prevent someone accidentally buying a hosed-up printing, but regardless, the VG/NM/M scale judges the quality of that particular disc, not the pressing as a whole.

Compare "It's known that the 2006 pressing of XXX, serial number 123ABC was mis-pressed, but this disc is a VG+ copy of that mis-pressed XXX, as compared to this other guy, who is selling a NM copy of the same mis-pressed XXX" vs "I bought a 2010 pressing of XXX, serial number 456DEF, but was instead sent the busted 2006 pressing, 123ABC". The latter is DEFINITELY reason to get your money back, to be clear...the former is a bit murkier, at least in my eyes.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is it fair to assume that if there are widespread misprinting issues with this specific release there would more written about it in comments on Discogs?

I would assume so, but like the other goon mentioned, be sure to ask beforehand. For all we know, you're one of the first to discover this (or at least bring it up online)!

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 21, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Realistically it's very time consuming to play grade everything. But it seems like a lot of dealers don't even take much time to visually grade them if they're not just lying outright. I've gotten plenty of records listed as VG+ that the slightest glance would tell you aren't even close. I think a lot of this is people just not bothering to hold the thing under a light. My favorite is when dealers say "Gradings are subjective!".

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How can I find the value of an LP I have?

There's no copies or records of transactions of it on discogs. There's only one copy being offered on eBay for a ridiculous asking price, but takes offers. No records of past sales of it on eBay.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ChocNitty posted:

There's no copies or records of transactions of it on discogs. There's only one copy being offered on eBay for a ridiculous asking price, but takes offers. No records of past sales of it on eBay.

You could try to get on antiques roadshow

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

ChocNitty posted:

I can’t believe you posted this without info on the record, please tell

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sweeper posted:

I have lots of records that have never been sold on discogs. I tend to think that means they’re fairly worthless but I could be wrong. It at least means there aren’t people out there clambering to buy them.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
My Discogs seller who sold me the misprinted copy of Trouble Will Find Me issued me a refund immediately and apologized -- said he'd never listened to the album. I appreciate the prompt resolution of the whole thing. Now I guess I'll see if anyone else selling one on Discogs can confirm side three exists.

Or see if I can find it locally. I feel like I might be able to spot the misprint visually since the grooves in sides three and four on my disc look completely identical, which I imagine won't be the case on the correctly printed version.

Thanks all for the advice on this above.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

ChocNitty posted:

Check popsike and 45 cat too. Popsike will tell you historical eBay sales.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Today's arrivals.

I've bought 15 or 16 records this month. Time to hopefully chill a little now that I have enough to keep me busy for a bit (am a newbie).

spinst fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 21, 2022

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Sweeper posted:

Posted this a few years back in this thread.

It's a sealed copy of an album made by The Peoples Temple, and Jim Jones. This is the one copy that's being sold:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393937051660?hash=item5bb87a600c:g:TykAAOSwlbJiCwlz

I know it's kinda hosed up. Don't hate me.

SwimNurd posted:

Thanks!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

SwimNurd posted:

Popsike shows completed listings that weren't sold, too, so it is only mildly helpful. If someone puts the Miss Congeniality OST white hot stamper on ebay for $500 and no one buys it, it will still show up on Popsike as being $500 when we all know it's actually worth thousands.

Are there any museums that might be interested in leasing the record from you, maybe? It's a hosed up historical artifact.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

ChocNitty posted:

It's a sealed copy of an album made by The Peoples Temple, and Jim Jones. This is the one copy that's being sold:

I love weird historical poo poo like this, so no hate from me! That's wild. How did you come across it, if you don't mind sharing? (Apologies if the story is too personal, etc..I totally understand)

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

Discogs has several sales noted?

https://www.discogs.com/sell/history/896743

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Yeah seriously. A sealed copy was sold a month ago for $300. Value set

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Well gang, sorry to disappoint but Rodney didn't make it through the sale, and the allure of $70 worth of trade in to the local record shop was too much. :negative: On the upside there's still a lot I never got to in thinning my collection, so there's still some potential. Thus far on that front I can't decide if I want to keep Wolfgang van Halen's album, apparently it's kept its value pretty well on discogs?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Got MASTER BOOT RECORD's new album today and it slaps

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

Thanks!

I love that whoever created this listing is charging for shipping.

Frozen Peach posted:

Got MASTER BOOT RECORD's new album today and it slaps

I don't care about the records I just want to see more of the print on that shirt if you don't mind.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 22, 2022

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I don't care about the records I just want to see more of the print on that shirt.

gently caress it. Happy Pride ya'll!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's even more glorious than I imagined.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Frozen Peach posted:

dress

A rainbow dress of Animal Crossing animals? HOLY gently caress I NEED THIS, where did you get it please and thank you!

As to Master Boot Record I haven't had a chance to sit down and listen to the new album, have his compositional skills improved? I love love love his tone but his original works have kinda bored me by the end of the album. I want to buy his stuff but not if it elicits that kind of reaction from me you know? It's also why I shamefully only have his free album of video game music covers where they are remixes forcing him into using other peoples compositions.

edit: Dangit the dress is an old Black Milk collab design, not available anymore. Oh well, still cool though!

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 22, 2022

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

As to Master Boot Record I haven't had a chance to sit down and listen to the new album, have his compositional skills improved?

They're still kinda samey by the end of the album, but it's interesting enough to sit through 4 sides of vinyl for me. Of course your mileage may vary.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Frozen Peach posted:

And it has pockets! Totally rad. Great record pickup too.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

marjorie posted:

And it has pockets!
I've worked in dry cleaning for fifteen years and I'm thoroughly convinced the lack of pockets in women's clothing was cooked up by the purse industry. Hell, they'll put pockets in and sew them shut, it's loving insidious.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe records should have pockets…

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

BigFactory posted:

Maybe records should have pockets…

Bruce Springsteen "Born in the USA" with pockets when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hot Diggity! posted:

Bruce Springsteen "Born in the USA" with pockets when

Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers with pockets.