Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pretty sure smallpox vaccines are pretty scarce here now, so market forces would say it will be expensive to get one.

Also pretty sure the military has the bulk of what stockpile we probably have, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Smallpox vaccine suuuuucks no way the general public would consent to taking it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Smallpox vaccine suuuuucks no way the general public would consent to taking it.

Yeah, but it's
1. Been around a while
2. Been something that was compulsory a real long time
3. Something most boomers already have.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm good from the Army, but we don't have the infrastructure to produce enough for the entire nation if needed, if there were a serious shitstorm from it.

And genuine question- would a doc just give you small pox vax because you ask? I haven't a clue.

There's a list of caveats, but in my experience, yes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Flikken posted:

Yeah, but it's
1. Been around a while
2. Been something that was compulsory a real long time
3. Something most boomers already have.

lol they'll demand the economy remain open since it's clearly not a threat to anyone important

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

Just so loving stoked we decided as a nation COVID is done and the millions dead are just whatever. Hell loving yeah we did it

I mean I guess since part of the nation said it didn't exist it's great everyone else finally came around

We had elected officials outright saying that the elderly should be proud to die for our Applebees to survive. gently caress Republicans forever.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
In this country we: stand for "proud to be an American" and kneel for the shareholder.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 22, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Flikken posted:

So if I got whatever the gently caress the Army was handing out in 2007 I should be ok?

The smallpox vaccine (supposedly) confers ~85% efficacy against monkeypox, The smallpox vaccine is most effective within ~5 years and no one really knows how much it wanes after that. You've got more immunity than most people just having had the vaccination.

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

It wouldn't be helped at all because when you have a reaction to the smallpox vaccine, you goddamned well *know* it was caused by the smallpox vaccine (to say nothing of the pricks that would start bitching about 'Brandon Branding' and 'Mark of the Beast' :rolleyes:), and I'm sure the news media would be level-headed and NOT overly-exaggerate the rare serious and even rarer lethal complications... >.>

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 22, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plus something as easy to gently caress up as "rub eye while changing bandage" has some gross out potential that makes it a non starter until large numbers of people are dying of an even more disgusting disease.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

Like I said avoid large indoor crowds.

Edit: also, if you're somehow not vaccinated against smallpox (why the gently caress not???) Get it. Apparently that helps.

If you weren’t alive when they were still vaccinating for it or in the military, can you even get one?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's a deployment vaccine, too. If you didn't deploy, you didn't get it. Might not apply to anyone here but plenty of people floated through a contract without a deployment or miscellaneous overseas adventure.

E: I deployed but didn't get the smallpox vaccine. I had some acne scarring on my back that was bad enough for them to not bother, in case I had an undiagnosed skin issue.

I did get stuck once with anthrax before it was made optional, though.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 22, 2022

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That smallpox shot gave me a loving wild fever, I couldn't have even phoned for help if I wanted to. Then was good 12 hours later.

Easily my second worse vaccination.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

not caring here posted:

That smallpox shot gave me a loving wild fever, I couldn't have even phoned for help if I wanted to. Then was good 12 hours later.

Easily my second worse vaccination.

Smallpox ain't a shot.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

Smallpox ain't a shot.

its a shot in your rear end

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

TheWeedNumber posted:

its a shot in your rear end

Is this a bit?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's about a dozen pin pricks just under the layer of the skin on the upper arm and it leaves a nice little nickel sized scar.

The peanut butter shot is the shot in the rear end, and I think that's only at certain training facilities. I got a lumpy shot at Knox sitting nuts to butts. Ah. Memories.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

Is this a bit?

it was a wild guess

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
its ok we all got that other shot in the rear end though

brought to you by reeses

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

McNally posted:

Smallpox ain't a shot.

Shot, stab, whatever.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Same, is there a non-paywalled link?

I mean to say that I can’t finish reading without crying

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's about a dozen pin pricks just under the layer of the skin on the upper arm and it leaves a nice little nickel sized scar.

The peanut butter shot is the shot in the rear end, and I think that's only at certain training facilities. I got a lumpy shot at Knox sitting nuts to butts. Ah. Memories.

Wait, I think I remember getting that as a real little kid. I may have been vaccinated for smallpox more than once.

I think I'm showing my age.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 22, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

A.o.D. posted:

Wait, I think I remember getting that as a real little kid. I may have been vaccinated for smallpox more than once.

You might be thinking about the Tuberculosis/PPD skin test. I'm 41 and never got the smallpox vaccination.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A.o.D. posted:

The booster prevents bigpox.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fun fact: “great pox” is an old name for syphilis.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You might be thinking about the Tuberculosis/PPD skin test. I'm 41 and never got the smallpox vaccination.

Its possible. I was born before smallpox was declared eradicated, though. I don't have records from back then.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Platystemon posted:

Fun fact: “great pox” is an old name for syphilis.

fun fact the smallpox vaccine (at least historically, maybe still?) was just infecting you with cowpox, hence the latin "vacca", "cow", in "vaccine"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oh hey, in addition to being from East Tennessee looks like i share something else with Dolly Parton: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cdvp35SFFdT/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TheWeedNumber posted:

its ok we all got that other shot in the rear end though

brought to you by reeses

Unless you are "lucky" enough to be allergic to penicillin. I got a 30-day course of erythromycin pills instead and was vaguely sick to my stomach the whole time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

fun fact the smallpox vaccine (at least historically, maybe still?) was just infecting you with cowpox, hence the latin "vacca", "cow", in "vaccine"

That was the old vaccine. If you got a smallpox vaccine in 2007, despite telling you that you needed for deployment, you were actually part of a large study to replace the old cowpox vaccine with a newer better version. It’s called dryvaxx or something like that.

Note - anyone born after 1972 in the USA will likely not have a smallpox vaccination unless you happened to be in the military in the late aughts.

If you ever did get it, you’d remember because you has a dime to nickel sized pus blister on your arm for a couple weeks you weren’t allowed to touch then during week three it scabs up and falls off eventually. You get a nice souvenir scar for your troubles.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah I got it on deployment, it's gross as hell onboard for a couple weeks while everyone is tending their pox scabs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We got it at the start of a month doing FDNF stuff before a short stop in South Korea.

I will note that my dryvaxx scar is a lot smaller than people I know who got the pre-72 one. I don’t know if that’s a result of a smaller scab on the modern version or if it’s because they got them as kids and the scar just grew with their body.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Black Rifle Coffee is experiencing some drama. Excerpt of a public letter (linked). I'm not sure if this "1791 Management" company is doing a PR grab or what; In addition to BRCC, they also sued an apparently-unrelated "Energy Vault" company for fraud at the same time

“If you don't plan on responding to my letter and/or promptly preparing an "action plan," then I believe it's best you wind down Black Rifle Coffee, return what public money is left on the Company's balance sheet, and retreat to whatever bunker you came out of to do what you do best – donate money to the Democratic Party and smear conservatives as racists. The irreparable damage I believe your greed likely caused shareholders will never be repaid. We and veterans like my father, former customers, and shareholders must hold you accountable for any further exploitation of Americans for your personal gain.”

https://twitter.com/DoHoBOB/status/1528024012084887553?s=20

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Never got the vibe that the BRCC guys were democrats, so it’s good to see conservatives eat their own. Considering they weren’t public only a few months ago and a ton of the stock market is down, I can’t tell if they are grifters or generally unlucky.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It’s grifters. Anyone going public via a spac is presumably a grifter of some sort that is avoiding SEC scrutiny as much as possible.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
2billion valuation on 6 million EBITDA. lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

davecrazy posted:

Yeah no poo poo. Jesus gently caress.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

davecrazy posted:

Stock market very vibes based economy

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Never got the vibe that the BRCC guys were democrats, so it’s good to see conservatives eat their own. Considering they weren’t public only a few months ago and a ton of the stock market is down, I can’t tell if they are grifters or generally unlucky.

Any conservative who doesn't agree with me is a RINO democrat CRT gay abortion.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s grifters. Anyone going public via a spac is presumably a grifter of some sort that is avoiding SEC scrutiny as much as possible.

Not necessarily, there are lots of factors to consid

davecrazy posted:

:danpop:

just building a bottom-up valuation that assumes 100% capture of the fast-growing "male, 25-55, owns a lifted truck and wears Oakleys"segment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Mr. Nice! posted:

That was the old vaccine. If you got a smallpox vaccine in 2007, despite telling you that you needed for deployment, you were actually part of a large study to replace the old cowpox vaccine with a newer better version. It’s called dryvaxx or something like that.

Note - anyone born after 1972 in the USA will likely not have a smallpox vaccination unless you happened to be in the military in the late aughts.

If you ever did get it, you’d remember because you has a dime to nickel sized pus blister on your arm for a couple weeks you weren’t allowed to touch then during week three it scabs up and falls off eventually. You get a nice souvenir scar for your troubles.

Huh, is that why you can't tell I got one unless I get a really bad sunburn? Virtually no scar for me. I've also been in Korea for like 12 years so I got to get a second dose a few years back. Going to assume my first dose worked as I only got a small red bump for two days, no scab or anything.

Also I should be selling my blood for anthrax antibodies, I think I just hit shot #15 last month.