Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

That's not bad. I really thought he'd clock in at 6 or higher. 6 years is a lot but I don't care about the back half of the contract because the Pens will suck by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The term sucks because Rust is going to abruptly stop being useful in about 3 years when he loses a step, but the AAV is a bargain.... for now.

I think he could have gotten a lot more than that on the market given what e.g. Hyman got, may have taken a discount to stay in Pittsburgh. Which only makes sense if he expects the team to continue to compete. Which they can only do if they re-sign Letang.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
That's mostly ok. It's moveable down the line too. Decent enough.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Well that's not the disaster I thought it would be.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

That's mostly ok. It's moveable down the line too. Decent enough.

I assume there is a NMC, but when the Pens climb into the tank that won't likely be an issue, yeah.

Guentzel and Jarry are both up next summer. Can't imagine they're going to be able to keep Guentzel if Letang and Malkin both return. Which makes me pretty certain at least one of them won't.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Getting a ppg winger for $5mil is nice, but how is he gonna look once Crosby and Malkin eventually gently caress off? And the 3-4 years after that

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Probably not great. Much like when he was with Malkin and woops no points. Even as he slows and drops off he'll probably be a useful middle 6 guy. Retain and flip or someone else can always use a winner. He has PK'ed some and his shot/passing has improved tremendously. Idk he's the new Kunitz whatever.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The Dirty Burger posted:

Getting a ppg winger for $5mil is nice, but how is he gonna look once Crosby and Malkin eventually gently caress off? And the 3-4 years after that

Like a player on a different team for those tank years. Crosby is around for 3 more years no matter what. After that who knows.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Dreger mad about (I assume) Friedman tweeting the details?

https://twitter.com/darrendreger/status/1528176322454880258?s=21&t=TSB8tn4gpryZpt7maUrRxw

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mage_Boy posted:

Crosby is around for 3 more years no matter what.

Or until his next and final hotbrain. :negative:

If Malkin wants the moon then the Pens can survive him walking. Letang on the other hand, if it requires 5x8 to re-sign him then do it, when tank time comes you retain half and move him. There is no path to a deep playoff run in the remainder of Crosby's career without Letang.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 22, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I just came across this and felt like I should share it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6-akO3jCWE

Little history on how NHL teams got their names.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Because you only have 140 characters or whatever and that takes up space.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I Demand Integrity in Sports Journalism

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Yeah but who cares how it looks when Crosby is done? It's rebuild time at that point. They'll be bad.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why didn’t I get credit for this important news

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1528165126075039745?s=20&t=pO3wvRCmpTuZD6KYNvcMcQ

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1528464941396656130?s=20&t=Rn_czucWl9TNzp6r0cXmsg

I don’t think any team should sign players over 35 to multi-year deals but if you’re gonna do it that’s the right amount

If it happens someone in the D corps has gotta go. I don’t much care who really.

E: Actual numbers:

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1528465988336898054?s=20&t=Rn_czucWl9TNzp6r0cXmsg

At that amount sure, go crazy

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 22, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://stanleycupple.nhl.com
Stanley Cupple 4/7, 2022-05-22
⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️🟩
⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️⬜️
⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

saw this today on the TNT cast and it's kinda fun.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️🟩
⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️⬜️
⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

my brain completely took a poo poo and i forgot what division teams were in.

Stanley Cupple 7/7, 2022-05-22
⬜️⬜️🟩⬜️⬜️⬜️🟩
⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️⬜️
⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️🟩
⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️🟩
⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️🟩
⬜️🟩🟩🟩🟨⬜️🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
I don't like to thread gatekeep, you guys can talk about whatever you want

But please god I don't want to be inundated with the loving wordle squares here, too. Please reconsider sharing them, I beg you, go ahead and play the game, but I beg you to reconsider posting scores, I BEG YOU let's nip this in the bud

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Gio taking the Jason Spezza special is wonderful news. Lilly's play improved significantly with him and he'll be a great locker room presence. 100% think Muzzin will be moved at some point

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

goldrush posted:

But please god I don't want to be inundated with the loving wordle squares here, too. Please reconsider sharing them, I beg you, go ahead and play the game, but I beg you to reconsider posting scores, I BEG YOU let's nip this in the bud

gently caress you but yeah that's a fair request. might start a different thread if I get less lazy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

goldrush posted:

It's ok, I don't understand wordle either.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️🟩
⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️⬜️
⬜️⬜️🟩🟩⬜️⬜️🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

This is fun, and they just started using guys outside of the playoff teams, like today

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

AsInHowe posted:

This is fun, and they just started using guys outside of the playoff teams, like today

speaking of non-playoff teams, this came up on my feed the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXtDvGYtqeI

and I really like to see it. didn't know he had it in him that regularly. I would be worried on the reverse hits in the playoffs. he's getting away with those in the regular season since guys aren't going full-speed, but he's gonna get a rep and someone is gonna take his number on it. even bigger hitters still try to avoid incoming ones. I would worry about an injury from trying to counter-hit too much

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

speaking of non-playoff teams, this came up on my feed the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXtDvGYtqeI

and I really like to see it. didn't know he had it in him that regularly. I would be worried on the reverse hits in the playoffs. he's getting away with those in the regular season since guys aren't going full-speed, but he's gonna get a rep and someone is gonna take his number on it. even bigger hitters still try to avoid incoming ones. I would worry about an injury from trying to counter-hit too much

He plays big, but he isn't fully grown yet. Once he is even stronger, he will figure out how to moderate that stuff, but right now he is playing in Big Puppy mode.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

goldrush posted:

one million percent this

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I like the Leafs re-signing Gio. A multi-year deal for someone heading into his age-39 season is iffy, but at that price, who cares?

Plus, I liked Gio on the Leafs. He's nowhere near the player he was, but he's still a useful defender. He also brings ~veteran presence~. Maybe him and Spezza will give all the boys a good talking to in-between periods. How long will he stay useful? I can't even predict if he'll be useful next season. But I am fine with it.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Yeah let's just check how Chara did this year in Long Island....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Yeah let's just check how Chara did this year in Long Island....

There's a few differences there

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Would that be one of them won a cup?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The Giordano deal seems laser targeted to "in case Sandin and/or Liljegren don't stick in the lineup" so yeah sure go for it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I didn't particularly want Giordano back but at a completely bury-able 800k only a miserable pedant could possibly give a poo poo. The worst thing that could happen is that he sucks and gets played anyway, but that's true of any signing. Keefe was smart enough to banish Ritchie to the 4th line and then the Marlies once it became obvious that he was useless.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Would that be one of them won a cup?

Chara was older, bigger and had more injury history

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I said it when there was rumours of him coming back to Calgary around the trade deadline but Gio is still a good pick for a third pairing guy at that money. He was always in crazy good shape and he’s a decent defender. He just want worth the money and the position Calgary had him at and why I was perfectly fine with Seattle taking him. Leafs got a good deal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

I didn't particularly want Giordano back but at a completely bury-able 800k only a miserable pedant could possibly give a poo poo. The worst thing that could happen is that he sucks and gets played anyway, but that's true of any signing. Keefe was smart enough to banish Ritchie to the 4th line and then the Marlies once it became obvious that he was useless.

It's a zero risk move. Any team in the league would kill to have him as their 6/7 at $800k.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1528521940402585601?s=20&t=XtHY_9vpCTvrzfxJ1iE5wA

I expect absolutely nothing of substance re: Malkin/Letang but maybe someone can pry something halfway interesting out of him

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1528521940402585601?s=20&t=XtHY_9vpCTvrzfxJ1iE5wA

I expect absolutely nothing of substance re: Malkin/Letang but maybe someone can pry something halfway interesting out of him

Letang likes to drink soda.

Malkin's car is green.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

It's a zero risk move. Any team in the league would kill to have him as their 6/7 at $800k.

My issue with these signings, and Spezza and Simmonds are great recent examples, is that the play of someone in their late 30s can drop from acceptable to unplayable basically any time without warning, and then the coaching staff is faced with the choice of benching a famous, well-liked hometown player. Which they’ve demonstrated is pretty hard for them to evaluate objectively, based on the last couple playoff rosters.

It’s absolutely a low risk, high upside deal if the organization is willing to cut them but if they’re not it is an issue if they fall off. People always say the #6 D or #12 forward doesn’t matter but as someone who’s watched bit players put this team in the hole in the playoffs year after year that’s absolutely not true. You don’t need those guys to make huge plays but you absolutely can’t afford to let them bury you, and if Gio loses even half a step that’s exactly what he’ll do.

e: and I should clarify I like the signing, but I don’t trust Keefe/Dubas to make the right call if it goes sideways

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

eXXon posted:

but at a completely bury-able 800k only a miserable pedant could possibly give a poo poo.

drat you know rex well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Beats Lou giving Marleau a 3-year deal at 6 million per.