Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Grouchio posted:

Why can't korean webtoon authors write like japanese mangaka to save their lives?

What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah part 3 has just been bad. No one wants a new protagonist. No one wants to go back to school yard drama. No one wants any of this poo poo they gave us. Shiwoon firmly established himself as the ur badass of the new generation and was primed to basically take lead of them.

Now he went missing for a bit but showed up to help some bullied kid and this bullied kid has speedrun 30 chapters of shioon's development in 7.

It also kinda shits on his characterization at the end of Part 2 which was firmly in the 'the murim is too dangerous for normal people to be introduced and made aware of". Now he went from that to teaching some random normal person martial arts?

It's kinda sad because I've been pumped for part 3 for literally years and I now have no interest to read further in it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

When I read a korean webtoon, I've felt that on average the plot, characters, motivations and planning feel underdeveloped, less thought out; shallow. The artwork feels wanting. It's like I'm gazing at a genre stuck in the formative 70s. I don't know how else to describe it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yeah, I ain't happy with it.

I can understand where the author's coming from to a certain point, thought. At least, I think I can.

The original Breaker was published on a physical magazine, and season 2 (New Waves) was hosted on Daum Webtoons (now Kakao Webtoons, which is not the same platform as Kakao Pages), and season 3 is being hosted on Naver, and there's a 7 year gap between Eternal Force and S2. While S1 and S2 can be found on Naver, I believe you either have to pay for them or use one of those "read one chapter for free a day" vouchers that webtoon platforms use. So accessibility is sorta hard, especially if you're someone who reads stuff legally and not by relying on a pirated scan site.

I guess from the author's standpoint, a soft reset have seemed like a good way of making Eternal Force more accessible to new readers. After all, as a standalone from the two seasons that came before it, Eternal Force plays out a lot like The Breaker. After all, it's not like we knew the whole deal with Murim and 9AD at the beginning of The Breaker. And that was part of the journey - learning who 9AD was, his grudge against the Murim, and Shiwoon taking a step into the world of Murim.

The original Breaker and New Waves were published in the traditional comic book format, while Eternal Force is done in the standard webtoon style. Granted, the previous traditional format was a MAJOR pain in the rear end for the author and artist, and I believe it was a big part of why their chapters were always late (webtoons usually go up at around 11:00 ~ 11:30 pm on the day prior, but Breaker would often go up at like 5, 6 pm on the day of release). And both the platforms and audience have changed over the years, and Eternal Force seems to have evolved to cater to the current readers with their obsession with quick resolutions and scathing hatred of anything that drags out past, like, two chapters. Hence Eternal Force doing a speedrun of Shiwoon's journey.

Even the artist's blog mentions that the webtoon market has changed since the days of New Waves (https://m.blog.naver.com/tdstudio/222713279633), and that they (artist + author) did a lot of thinking on what would appeal to readers today.

But the issue is that the people most interested in Eternal Force probably aren't the current readers, but rather the people who have been waiting for over half a decade for Shiwwon's story to continue. The scales were raised too much for the story to go back to high school delinquent fights (and there's like 20+ high school delinquent fight webtoons that feature a weak protagonist getting stronger and beating people up anyways), and more importantly, old readers don't want a new kid. Speedrunning the poo poo doesn't help because it's something that, from their perspective, didn't need to be there in the first place.

Who knows where the story will go from here?

I keep hearing things about the author planning to make changes past chapter 8, but the blog post that mentions changing the plot past chapter 8 was made in February (https://m.blog.naver.com/tdstudio/222642635732), not recently. So I dunno if reader response will really change anything. If anything, the most recent post on the blog is the artist saying that while reader responses have been more... overwhelming than they expected (and they did expect some backlash), they're doing some self-reflection and asking the readers to keep their faith. Plus, if chapter 8 is any indication, the kid's here to stay for now unless they kill him off in chapter 9 or something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The author did some webtoons in prep for this already though so it's not like this is new to them / they don't know the market. Hell I bet they took the longer break to do the webtoons as partly a prep for this one.

Honestly I'm not bothered with how it's going. The new kid is the focus still, but old characters are popping up as it goes and I assume eventually it'll get on the rails of the previous season and catch up what happened in-between s2 and 3.

People seem a bit impatient/ dramatic about this so far. IMO it's not that bad.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

That Works posted:

People seem a bit impatient/ dramatic about this so far. IMO it's not that bad.

Yeah lol. It's been going for all of two weeks, people.

Like we're still so early I'm not even convinced this is a soft reboot or a change of protagonist. This all just reads like a way to get new readers up to speed to me still.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Grouchio posted:

When I read a korean webtoon, I've felt that on average the plot, characters, motivations and planning feel underdeveloped, less thought out; shallow. The artwork feels wanting. It's like I'm gazing at a genre stuck in the formative 70s. I don't know how else to describe it.

A lot of the popular korean stuff I've read gives me the same feeling as Bleach. Like, stuff is happening but I don't care about any of the characters or plot and there's so much blank space.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I mean, this *is* the formative period for webtoons. Hell, the entire format is designed around smartphones.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It just occurred to me that a lot of the Korean high school uniforms I see in these webtoons are similar to the uniforms we wore at my (public) high school. They weren't "official" uniforms, but there was a dress code to wear white polos and khaki pants/skirts (so mainly the "white polo" part). Tbh it was probably for the best; I had horrible taste in clothes at that age, so at least the uniform ensures you don't mistakenly dress yourself badly.

Grouchio posted:

Why can't korean webtoon authors write like japanese mangaka to save their lives? All the manhwa I've read feel shallow in places.

You are clearly not reading the right ones. I find that romance/drama and comedy webtoons are usually better than your average romance/comedy manga (romance/drama in particular; Korea seems exceptionally good at those). And the major "shounen"-styles one are also generally about as good as the more popular Japanese ones.

All Ilkwon Ha stuff I've read is significantly better than your average manga while also being very different. A few are here (plus some by different people for some reason, not sure why those are also included) - https://www.webtoons.com/en/search?searchMode=AUTHOR&keyword=Ilkwon+Ha I actually haven't read a couple of those, but I've read the middle three and they're all amazing (Annarasumanara, Duty After School, and God of Bath).

Another really good one (that starts off kind of slow, but is great once you understand what it's about) is "I Don't Want This Kind of Hero" - https://www.webtoons.com/en/super-hero/i-dont-want-this-kind-of-hero/list?title_no=98

God of High School is also its own crazy action thing with a very distinct art style that isn't just "generic manga-style"

There's a bunch of other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.

edit: Oh, Kubera is another amazing thing that is very unique and unlike anything else I've read

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I can vouch for most of I Don't Want This Kind of Hero, but the translation loving sucks, as most webtoon translations do.

EDIT: Oh and Annasunarana or whatever its called is amazing.

Very Melon
Sep 4, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

You are clearly not reading the right ones. I find that romance/drama and comedy webtoons are usually better than your average romance/comedy manga (romance/drama in particular; Korea seems exceptionally good at those). And the major "shounen"-styles one are also generally about as good as the more popular Japanese ones.

What OP may be referring to is the various "dungeon gates open in earth, some people awaken as hunters/players/whatever" and VRMMO manwha which can be very derivative, especially after Solo Levelling exploded in popularity; sure, if you look at them as a whole, they do look same-y and shallow, although there's a few good ones in that group (looking at you, ORV and Suicide Hunter).

Kubera I'm told is really good, and I should take the time to start reading it soon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Very Melon posted:

What OP may be referring to is the various "dungeon gates open in earth, some people awaken as hunters/players/whatever" and VRMMO manwha which can be very derivative, especially after Solo Levelling exploded in popularity; sure, if you look at them as a whole, they do look same-y and shallow, although there's a few good ones in that group (looking at you, ORV and Suicide Hunter).

Kubera I'm told is really good, and I should take the time to start reading it soon.

I mean this is a thing for manga as well, it's all Isekai of some derivative imo. Some good most meh.

For a good manhwa Isekai someone itt recommended The Lazy Lord Masters the Sword a while back and it's pretty rad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Kubera is ludicrously slow and may be worth waiting until whenever it finishes

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kubera is also ridiculously depressing last I read it. Literally the opposite of a power fantasy. Everything is poo poo, everything is bad, nothing good can stay good, I legit had to stop reading it because it was just too many non stop punches of darkness.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Agree on both for Kubera. I'll get to it later.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Kubera is also ridiculously depressing last I read it. Literally the opposite of a power fantasy. Everything is poo poo, everything is bad, nothing good can stay good, I legit had to stop reading it because it was just too many non stop punches of darkness.

a manwha with a similar tone is knight run.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What are you talking about, Kubera is a romance, the author said it guys its romantic

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gologle posted:

What are you talking about, Kubera is a romance, the author said it guys its romantic

Probably the same way Romeo and Juliet is romantic :p

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Very Melon posted:

Oh yeah, there's definitely a lot of garbage, but that stuff just comparable with similarly derivative manga.

The specific cliche you mention is kind of interesting to me, since it seems to have taken off as a sort of "alternative" to an isekai plot. Like there's a difference in the core wish fulfillment fantasy that seems to center around "the praise of Earth/Korean society" being an integral part (as opposed to the isekai stories where the fantasy involves completely leaving our society).

It's a *really* bad cliche though. Even worse than isekai IMO, because isekai at least has to create a fictional world.

KittyEmpress posted:

I think probably my only minor issue with Kubera is that the main tragic turning point is the Asha betrayal, but Leez didn't truly have to be fully dependent on Asha (though Asha obviously aimed for that). You have multiple characters who reach out to her and try and give her a social support network (like Ran or Mirha). A large part of the personal pain she goes through centers around her being deeply dependent/codependent on Asha and later Yuta respectively, but to some extent this is a choice on her part. Granted, other plot things mean she'd be forced into involvement and couldn't have just hosed off to live a normal life, but on a personal/emotional level it seems like a lot of her issues are predicated on her refusing the multiple people who reach out to her.

That being said, this is still a pretty realistic thing for a person to do, even though it's unhealthy. Asha did a good job of manipulating her. So I guess it's not so much a gripe with the actual events that transpire, but more the framing of "Leez has no one but her strange love interest who is prone to biting her face off." (in general I'm not a huge fan of the core romance - there's something off-putting to me about the love interest having an instinctual compulsion to harm/eat the protagonist)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 21, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Yeah lol. It's been going for all of two weeks, people.

Like we're still so early I'm not even convinced this is a soft reboot or a change of protagonist. This all just reads like a way to get new readers up to speed to me still.

Out for 2 weeks but 8 week's worth of chapters are out (via fast pass).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I've been really enjoying the Barbarian Quest Manwha that a few people have been translating. It's got some nice art.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

I've been really enjoying the Barbarian Quest Manwha that a few people have been translating. It's got some nice art.

Reminds me a lot of Conan.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Why can't korean webtoon authors write like japanese mangaka to save their lives? All the manhwa I've read feel shallow in places.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Guyver posted:

Reminds me a lot of Conan.

It's just got a great tone to it I feel. Introspection but still action-y. It allows the MC to act vulnerable even as a badass. The scenes of him realizing he doesn't fear being killed, but he does fear the unknown of what would happen to him after death were pretty touching. So was his baptism scene

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Very Melon posted:

I mean some stuff are also drawn by the same studios, which is why they look same-y.

For instance, Solo Leveling & ORV, and the new one (The World After the Fall, which is also based on a webnovel written by the authors of ORV) are all done by a single studio.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Finally a good chapter.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Honestly, I like the new guy. Hopefully he can get his poo poo straightened out quickly, though. He's earnest in an endearingly goofy way and we could probably use someone else in a weight class somewhere under Shiwoon who can provide us with more perspective, because Shiwoon actually getting pissed is like having a small Evangelion on a rampage.

I can't imagine it's easy to write scenes with Shiwoon where he's going to actually fight, because an entire parking lot full of dudes in suits going 'Eh, we can take him...' is just going to be trying to figure out how to properly paint the surrounding buildings afterwards.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gearhead posted:

Honestly, I like the new guy. Hopefully he can get his poo poo straightened out quickly, though. He's earnest in an endearingly goofy way and we could probably use someone else in a weight class somewhere under Shiwoon who can provide us with more perspective, because Shiwoon actually getting pissed is like having a small Evangelion on a rampage.

I can't imagine it's easy to write scenes with Shiwoon where he's going to actually fight, because an entire parking lot full of dudes in suits going 'Eh, we can take him...' is just going to be trying to figure out how to properly paint the surrounding buildings afterwards.

I'm fine with the new guy mainly just because Shiwoon seems kind of boring now.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ytlaya posted:

I'm fine with the new guy mainly just because Shiwoon seems kind of boring now.

We say this, and then chapter 10 comes out and things get alarmingly real.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gearhead posted:

We say this, and then chapter 10 comes out and things get alarmingly real.
This chapter loving ruled. :getin:

Strong master fight + Grandpa trying to get scrappy outta the story + DARK ORIGIN

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 2, 2022

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Grouchio posted:

This chapter loving ruled. :getin:

Strong master fight + Grandpa trying to get scrappy outta the story + DARK ORIGIN

When you're so goddamn mad you wanna chop down a building with somebody. But then you remember you have PRIORITIES.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have been reading and enjoying "The S Classes that I raised".

The TL;DR is that there's dungeons opening in the real world that hunters raid (I know, so original!). The MC has a support ability that lets him boost other people's abilities. He dies because of circumstances and regresses back in time, and decides to fix his mistakes from his past. Very much in line with the other manhwa's of this genre, the twist comes from the fact that the MC is incredibly weak and... doesn't exactly power up like Solo Leveling or other similar stuff. Instead his ability to boost other people gets stronger. Cue him becoming kind of a father/big brother figure to a lot of superpowered folks.

It did have one partially problematic issue, the MC's power almost 'brainwashes' people into trusting him when he uses it on them, so he does the right thing and freaks out and decides to avoid using it on humans and only use it on monsters.

It's not too far into the story so I don't know if it goes off the rails yet in some horrible way or gets really dull but so far it's been just different enough to be interesting to me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A fellow goon rec'd me SSS Suicide Hunter so I shelled out the KRW 35,000 needed to read it and gently caress it's fun, it's like Solo Leveling but competently done, with a cast that isn't made of cardboard, a MC with an actual personality and motivation and growth, and way less xenophobia (okay, there's some xenophobia, especially the scene where a major character goes, "Oh, I'm Ukrainian, but not like one of those commie Ukrainians who gunned down my family", which is really funny to read in 2022). Marathoned all 75 chapters in like, 2 days.

I'm enjoying it immensely; the only reason I hadn't read it till now was because of my aversion to its generic name, and clearly I was wrong to judge it based on that alone.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The Breaker 3 ch10

This whole moment was the first time across these ten chapters that has really made a good argument for the change to webtoon format.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Okay Shiwoon is good again

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I don't know why, of all the many many previously-mentioned-but-hitherto-unseen characters that this cosmic tour has taken us through in Kubera, it's (v. 3 c. 246) the appearance of Kalavinka that's causing me to flip, but it is. I mean sure. gently caress it, why not. Maybe a pre-Taraka'd Shakuntala can be hiding around the next tree. I feel like currygom's holding her setting up by its feet and is shaking it to see if there's anything left in there at this point.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

poo poo is getting real in Viral Hit.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/mangamogurare/status/1551485185627230208?s=21&t=l_vblUGGvyGErlqyyiTQ7Q

:rip:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

huh

I wonder if that has something to do with it wrapping up so suddenly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Shugojin posted:

huh

I wonder if that has something to do with it wrapping up so suddenly

No, that's how it went in the web novel.