Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Strange Matter posted:

Hence the superiority of the Boston shaker. I have a Cobbler and I've already taken to throwing a Hawthorne on it vs using the built in strainer. You wouldn't think it makes a difference but even that does. So I'm halfway there, I'm just waiting until I get truly fed-up with the Cobbler.

EDIT: Before I actually decided to learn what I was doing with drinks I deliberately went out of my way *not* to buy a Boston Shaker, lol
The morganthaler ice method involves one big cube and a bunch of small ones. Add the small ice first, that cushions the big cube. Not hard. I mostly use a cobbler and have never had drink fly out from adding ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Suggestions for jiggers with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 etched on the inside, either a Japanese style one or a bell style? Lots of my drinks call for a 1/4 ingredient, but my stupid jigger only has 1/2 and 3/4 so I'm just doing half way to 1/2...

Edit: I think I found one! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CN729TD/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A5HWA6F90HLJ9&th=1

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 20, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

obi_ant posted:

Suggestions for jiggers with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 etched on the inside, either a Japanese style one or a bell style? Lots of my drinks call for a 1/4 ingredient, but my stupid jigger only has 1/2 and 3/4 so I'm just doing half way to 1/2...

Edit: I think I found one! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CN729TD/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A5HWA6F90HLJ9&th=1

The OXO jigger is great. It doesn't have a 2 oz, though. It's 1.5 / 3/4 on one side. and 1/4, 1/2, 1 on the other. It also has a nice rubber grip and it's only $12 or so.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-3105000-...ps%2C255&sr=8-3

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Pander posted:

The morganthaler ice method involves one big cube and a bunch of small ones. Add the small ice first, that cushions the big cube. Not hard. I mostly use a cobbler and have never had drink fly out from adding ice.
This is smart! I'll do that going forward, thanks!

Speaking of jiggers I bought a 2oz/1oz to replace the 1oz/.5oz that my shaker kit came with, but it was only about a month ago that I realized the line on the inside of the 2oz side was, infact, 1.5oz instead of the 2oz mark, so I'd been underpouring my drinks for like two months. My Mai Tais sure taste better now though!

On the bright side it was only *slightly* underpouring since the 1.5 mark is actually more like 1.75

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 20, 2022

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
This guy is the absolute king, though I do still keep a Japanese jigger for when I’m feeling fancy.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/oxo-1233080-2-oz-1-4-cup-stainless-steel-angled-measuring-cup-jigger/2971233080.html

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Anonymous Robot posted:

This guy is the absolute king, though I do still keep a Japanese jigger for when I’m feeling fancy.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/oxo-1233080-2-oz-1-4-cup-stainless-steel-angled-measuring-cup-jigger/2971233080.html

I have one of these and love it except for the fact that it doesn't have a 1/3oz marking.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Anonymous Robot posted:

I just wish the measurements were etched into the metal, I want one to last the rest of my life.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Horn posted:

I just wish the measurements were etched into the metal, I want one to last the rest of my life.

This what I have, I like it a lot.

https://www.barflybymercer.com/product/1-x-2-oz-straight-rim-bell-jigger-antique-copper/

E. Sorry, that was meant for obi_ant

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 20, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm making drinks for some friends' wedding, including non-alcoholic drinks for a group of sober people on the groom's side. I'm making a NA cucumber+lime+mint drink, and have landed on the following ratio:

1 lime juice
1 simple syrup (1:1)
4 cucumber juice
4 water

I'm struggling to get the mind as strong as I want. I've tried cold-infusing the syrup for a day, which makes the syrup taste good, but it gets lost in the final reckoning of things. I'd love a really sharp bite of mint, and was wondering if you all had recommendations. I've considered letting the mint macerate in the sugar for a while before rendering it into syrup, and am also considering just putting a whole mess of mint into the final pitchers to get it as fresh as possible, but was wondering if anybody has tips for good non-alcoholic ways to really pump up the mint flavor.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Blanch the mint, purée with water, strain, make syrup with that. Stays nice and green and tastes fresh.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Maestro posted:

Blanch the mint, purée with water, strain, make syrup with that. Stays nice and green and tastes fresh.

This is the right move. You could also throw the mint in while making the syrup and then strain after it cools, but you won't get as much bite that way.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do the above, then also have a garnish of mint for each glass. Rub on the rim at service time and it just explodes.

If possible you can also add 1/4 again as much peppermint variety, that one is sharp as hell

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’ve done the blanching and pureeing trick for juleps before, works real nice. I wonder if it would be good to do the same thing for the syrup you add to the infused vodka in creme de menthe?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Whiskey smash in the rain time

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So I picked up some Campari to experiment with Negronis. I didn't *love* the standard Negroni, but that may have been my vermouth which is quite old and I've come to understand that old Vermouth kinda gets wonky. But I subbed Aperol for the Campari and *that* is lovely. But maybe I just love Aperol. I'm gonna try switching sweet vermouth for dry and seeing how a Contessa compares next.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’ve also used Inferno Bitters by St. Agrestis and it makes a mean Negroni as well.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

My doctor told me to stop drinking on account of my excessive liver enzymes and cloudy abdominal ultrasound.

What other mocktails do y'all swear by? The mint/cucumber one on this page is extremely my type of poo poo. I'll have to try it out myself.

E.) I already drank lots of flavored seltzer and they tend to make good substitute for beer or other fizzy drinks. Cold, aggressively bubbly thing is what I crave I find

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 22, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Virgin Mai Tai:

2 - OJ
1 - pineapple juice
.5 - lime juice
.25 - orgeat
.25 - simple

Shake w/ crushed ice. Open pour into a lowball.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

So I picked up some Campari to experiment with Negronis. I didn't *love* the standard Negroni, but that may have been my vermouth which is quite old and I've come to understand that old Vermouth kinda gets wonky. But I subbed Aperol for the Campari and *that* is lovely. But maybe I just love Aperol. I'm gonna try switching sweet vermouth for dry and seeing how a Contessa compares next.

Give it a few tries. Campari is absolutely an acquired taste, and you might just never like it. It took me about half a bottle but now Negronis and their variants are my favorite cocktails.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Missing Name posted:

My doctor told me to stop drinking on account of my excessive liver enzymes and cloudy abdominal ultrasound.

What other mocktails do y'all swear by? The mint/cucumber one on this page is extremely my type of poo poo. I'll have to try it out myself.

E.) I already drank lots of flavored seltzer and they tend to make good substitute for beer or other fizzy drinks. Cold, aggressively bubbly thing is what I crave I find

A great dessert mocktail I found on Mixel:

1oz simple syrup
1oz heavy cream
3oz orange juice
2oz club soda
5 drops orange flower water

The orange flower water goes in at the end. Otherwise use your typical Fizz technique. The instructions say to pour the shaken mixture over the soda & ice, but I see no reason you can't pour the soda over it instead. (I'm not even sure I noticed that instruction until just now.)

I assume the name "Cease and Desist" is a cheeky reference to the fact that it could easily be called something like "Orange Creamsicle Fizz". But the orange flower water to me has a kick that is reminiscent of alcohol. If you didn't tell me it was a mocktail I wouldn't necessarily suspect it.

(Flavor-wise, if I wanted an alcoholic version of this, the only thing I'd possibly be adding is vodka.)

E: yes, it is to my shame that I don't currently have a batch of simple made

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Maestro posted:

Give it a few tries. Campari is absolutely an acquired taste, and you might just never like it. It took me about half a bottle but now Negronis and their variants are my favorite cocktails.

Just shoot Ferraris until they start to taste good.*

*Don't do this

I agree with this advice. I like Campari, but it's a very bright bitter and doesn't always agree with my palate. I tend to prefer the dark bitter of things like Cynar, but it doesn't always fit the cocktail (unless it's a Boulevardier. Cynar all day long in them bitches). I wonder how a Cynar Negroni would play...

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

The Maestro posted:

Am I right about my vermouth though? I bought it literally years ago and since I don't drink a lot of stuff with it (Mahattens really don't agree with my pallete) I'm worried it might have gone bad or something since it's not refrigerated, and I think I read somewhere that vermouth tends to do that. My dry stuff tastes okay, so maybe I just don't like sweet vermouth very much.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, it’s absolutely spoiled. Pick up a 375ml of Cocchi di Torino and keep it in the fridge.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

A great dessert mocktail I found on Mixel:

1oz simple syrup
1oz heavy cream
3oz orange juice
2oz club soda
5 drops orange flower water

The orange flower water goes in at the end. Otherwise use your typical Fizz technique. The instructions say to pour the shaken mixture over the soda & ice, but I see no reason you can't pour the soda over it instead. (I'm not even sure I noticed that instruction until just now.)

I assume the name "Cease and Desist" is a cheeky reference to the fact that it could easily be called something like "Orange Creamsicle Fizz". But the orange flower water to me has a kick that is reminiscent of alcohol. If you didn't tell me it was a mocktail I wouldn't necessarily suspect it.

(Flavor-wise, if I wanted an alcoholic version of this, the only thing I'd possibly be adding is vodka.)

E: yes, it is to my shame that I don't currently have a batch of simple made

Pouring the mix over the soda is pretty standard Fizz procedure. If you slowly pour it down your bar spoon over the soda, it will foam up in a way that makes it stand tall above the rim of the glass. And rum would be the way to go! I’d add some vanilla extract (just a few drops) or make a vanilla syrup too.

Strange Matter posted:

Am I right about my vermouth though? I bought it literally years ago and since I don't drink a lot of stuff with it (Mahattens really don't agree with my pallete) I'm worried it might have gone bad or something since it's not refrigerated, and I think I read somewhere that vermouth tends to do that. My dry stuff tastes okay, so maybe I just don't like sweet vermouth very much.

Yea probably. It’ll last a couple months in your fridge before you really start to notice. It doesn’t “go bad” per se it just tastes worse. Same difference I guess. If it’s that old, then for sure. Try a Negroni with aperol and dry vermouth for kicks. Chance would have it somebody was telling me he loves that cocktail last night - it’s called a Contessa, apparently.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Just shoot Ferraris until they start to taste good.*

*Don't do this

Haha yea I’m pretty sure I would just come home and take half a shot until I acclimated enough to try it in cocktails. A good friend of mine and great chef swore it tasted like bile though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I don't really mind Campari but I'm having trouble learning to love vermouth which is unfortunate since it has a relatively short shelf life and is used in so many cocktails. I have most of a bottle of a blanc vermouth in my fridge that's been open for a couple months, what are some good things I can try with it so I can get some use out of it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Definitely small bottles seems like the right idea for vermouths. My roommate brought home a 1L each of sweet and dry a while back and I'm going to be paying for it for months yet

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
(Good) Vermouth is fantastic. To use it quickly, drink it like they do in Spain/Italy/South France: on the rocks, maybe lengthened with a little soda, with a big citrus twist (any type) and/or a spear of olives. Nothing better with tapas/pintxos/whatever the Italian version is/etc.

And yes, keep all vermouth in the fridge and use it within a couple months (so if you’re not drinking it by itself, half bottles are probably best).

Blanc vermouth is very versatile. Not a lot of stuff calls for it, but you can sub it in for dry vermouth to make a drink a little sweeter, and sub it for sweet vermouth to go more floral and less spice-forward (and lighten color). Probably the most common use is a bunch of white Negroni and/or martini variations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Missing Name posted:

If you're fine using bitters for flavor still, the classic lemon lime and bitters is a great NA drink, and the second mocktail I'm making for the wedding.

1 lemon juice
1 lime juice
2 syrup
Hefty shake of Angostura

Top with water to your choice if dilution. Soda water also works well here.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Kenning posted:

If you're fine using bitters for flavor still, the classic lemon lime and bitters is a great NA drink, and the second mocktail I'm making for the wedding.

1 lemon juice
1 lime juice
2 syrup
Hefty shake of Angostura

Top with water to your choice if dilution. Soda water also works well here.

I've been making this for years and have been calling it "special lemonade", the ango confuses the hell out of non-drinkers lol. It's great with olio sacrum and topo chico

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't ango 40% alc?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
A bit more than that. But when using as little as a couple dashes, worrying about it makes about as much sense as being concerned about the alcohol in your vanilla extract when baking a cake.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
if you really want alcohol-free bitters you can get fee brothers

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
also recommended if you don't care for flavor

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

prayer group posted:

A bit more than that. But when using as little as a couple dashes, worrying about it makes about as much sense as being concerned about the alcohol in your vanilla extract when baking a cake.

Baking definitely evaporates all the alcohol content but if someone doesn't drink for addiction or religious reasons they might be less than happy to find out you used bitters that are like 50% alcohol. For someone like Missing Name where he's just quitting for health reasons and not on principle then yeah probably not an issue.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

prayer group posted:

also recommended if you don't care for flavor

The regular fee brothers I like (and their barrel-aged), but I do have a collection of a bunch of their other flavors that I don't even use for cocktails anymore. But theyre great with soda water. Put a few dashes in an old fashioned glass, fill it up from my soda siphon, put on my fedora and have myself a fancier (and cheaper) version of lacroix

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

my kinda ape posted:

if someone doesn't drink for addiction or religious reasons they might be less than happy to find out you used bitters that are like 50% alcohol.

you may notice that i wasn’t talking about that at all. like of course i wouldn’t put bitters in a mocktail for someone who told me they were avoiding alcohol, i’m not stupid

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

my kinda ape posted:

Baking definitely evaporates all the alcohol content but if someone doesn't drink for addiction or religious reasons they might be less than happy to find out you used bitters that are like 50% alcohol. For someone like Missing Name where he's just quitting for health reasons and not on principle then yeah probably not an issue.

This isn’t true. Alcohol doesn’t completely evaporate via cooking processes.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Legally, non-alcoholic can be less than 0.5%, as long as it specifies so. A few dashes (about 1/8 tsp per dash, 6tsp per oz, so 0.02oz) of Ango (44.7% abv), in a drink of any sizable amount, is negligible. Granted, if you order a non alcoholic drink, nobody is going to put alcoholic bitters in it. But just so it’s out there. 20 dashes in an 8oz beverage would get you to 0.5% abv.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

prayer group posted:

you may notice that i wasn’t talking about that at all. like of course i wouldn’t put bitters in a mocktail for someone who told me they were avoiding alcohol, i’m not stupid

Sorry dude, it looks to me like you were making a pretty generalized "don't worry about it" statement in the context of mocktails :shrug:

Most people, including you I'm sure, are conscientious about that type of thing but there are plenty of people who would think "well it's just a trace amount they'd never get intoxicated from who care"

The Bandit posted:

This isn’t true. Alcohol doesn’t completely evaporate via cooking processes.

Huh interesting!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/packages/food-network-essentials/cooking-wine-does-alcohol-burn-off

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And there are some people who are allergic or have liver issues. Not sure that's enough to get them sick but ya never know.