Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

istewart posted:

The trend these days in dying malls seems to be leasing to multiple independently-owned screenprinting places that do not give a poo poo about copyright. I'm sure we all remember the Naruto episode where he was dressed in bootleg Supreme and chugging Hennessy; I know I want that on a t-shirt; thankfully these people can provide.

The equivallent place at my local mall is like half anime/Amongus, half Trump/Qanon poo poo. Weird mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

istewart posted:

The trend these days in dying malls seems to be leasing to multiple independently-owned screenprinting places that do not give a poo poo about copyright. I'm sure we all remember the Naruto episode where he was dressed in bootleg Supreme and chugging Hennessy; I know I want that on a t-shirt; thankfully these people can provide.

Really surprised the bootleg screen-printing places around here don’t take Bitcoin for that matter. It’s almost a match made in heaven: two businesses that don’t give a drat about existing laws and are only in it to make money and get the gently caress out before they get caught.

Edit: yeah forgot about the bootleg Trump poo poo too which you know infuriates trump and his grifters

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
A couple of distant relatives tried out a few get rich quick schemes a few years back. First selling cell phone cases at flea markets, then screenprinting shirts at the same markets. Except, apparently they were really, really concerned about doing the shirts legally and therefore couldn't make anything that anyone actually wanted and just complained about how expensive it was to license anything.

I had to sit and nod as they explained why their shirt business failed, thinking to myself that the whole drat point is making custom shirts of Minions smoking a joint. I assumed that they explained that to you when you got the equipment.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

istewart posted:

I got this guy to make me a SSJ5 Goku shirt it was cash

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Didn't Radio Shack also suffer from having too many stores and thin margins? Or do I just remember them as having stores all over the place?
I don't remember them being particularly overbuilt, just putting a store in the largest shopping center around, like every other chain was. Always seemed more like they were spreading themselves over too many product lines to do any of them well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Stolen from YOSPOS:

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Stolen from YOSPOS:

Tag yourself I'm Mound of Doody

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
People keep telling me, stop trying to teach the AI's how to destroy humanity.

And I just say, what's the point? Someone else is going to do it anyway.

At least maybe I can make it artful and not just do it to to nick a few bucks off a techbro moron.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

priznat posted:

Good new interview with Nicholas Weaver going over all the crypto latest and greatest misses and why it sucks, like we don't already know, but it's good to read an academic's perspective

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2022/05/why-this-computer-scientist-says-all-cryptocurrency-should-die-in-a-fire/

This was one of the best things I read on the topic.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

priznat posted:

Good new interview with Nicholas Weaver going over all the crypto latest and greatest misses and why it sucks, like we don't already know, but it's good to read an academic's perspective

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2022/05/why-this-computer-scientist-says-all-cryptocurrency-should-die-in-a-fire/

I just read this, too, and it is a nice succinct summary of what this thread has been covering for a long time now.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Dead celebrities are also getting in on the NFT grift. Apparently a Notorious B.I.G metaverse and tokens will launch later this year: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/notorious-big-biggie-metaverse-1235151519/

I await the inevitable Tupac NFTs and accompanying diss track: “I funged your ape, you fat motherfucker”

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Being dead apparently makes you later to the party than everyone else.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
The Notorious N.F.T.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Dead celebrities are also getting in on the NFT grift. Apparently a Notorious B.I.G metaverse and tokens will launch later this year: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/notorious-big-biggie-metaverse-1235151519/

I await the inevitable Tupac NFTs and accompanying diss track: “I funged your ape, you fat motherfucker”

Take money!

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?
Not even the first time

https://twitter.com/TheRealStanLee/status/1470750431643058181

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1528352270982725634

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hope and grift spring eternal.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
WIN AN NFT

what's the worst that can happen...

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

WIN AN NFT

what's the worst that can happen...

The $7000 in gas fees to transfer it to you.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Apparently they voted on whether to fork the chain to somehow recover losses (not sure how, don't really care), but the vote failed. So the guy behind it all just convinced the community to voluntarily burn their tokens in order to limit supply and drive the price up.
It's a brilliant scam - get all the true believers to literally throw their money away and sell when it goes up (unless the burn address is actually controllable by the same guy in which case lol you just sent him your tokens).

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

happyhippy posted:

The $7000 in gas fees to transfer it to you.

And it hacks your wallet so everything else you "own" gets stolen.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Don't Ask posted:

So the guy behind it all just convinced the community to voluntarily burn their tokens in order to limit supply and drive the price up.

lmao. Luna circulating supply: 6,534,869,472,865.85

good luck with that!

Don't Ask posted:

It's a brilliant scam - get all the true believers to literally throw their money away and sell when it goes up (unless the burn address is actually controllable by the same guy in which case lol you just sent him your tokens).

Normally when burning you send to an address where that's obviously impossible, like all zeros.

It's a tiny bit brilliant because it's a good smokescreen to avoid the real questions like "show us an audit of how the LFG reserves got spent". Luna jumping around at the fractions of a cent value like it's the new dogecoin means people look at a dumb chart rather than him.

Getting people to move to & invest in Terra 2.0 would have been the really brilliant scam, but apparently even coiners can't be fooled all the time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If I buy 1 billion Luna for a dollar and if it goes up even a little bit... I'll be ins anely wealthy

It's a long shot, but I have to try. This is my last hope

(my mother asks me if I've applied for any jobs today)

Listen wench,

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://twitter.com/horatioalgorthm/status/1528162897129619456

Seems entirely likely we’ll have mass death in texas this summer due to crypto mining, this is good for bitcoin.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

priznat posted:

Seems entirely likely we’ll have mass death in texas this summer due to crypto mining, this is good for bitcoin.

That is, in fact, good for Bitcoin. You can't get into the really cool wall Street clubs until your security has caused a few thousand deaths

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Don't Ask posted:

Apparently they voted on whether to fork the chain to somehow recover losses (not sure how, don't really care), but the vote failed. So the guy behind it all just convinced the community to voluntarily burn their tokens in order to limit supply and drive the price up.

Gonna burn all my money so I can make shitloads of money!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

latinotwink1997 posted:

Gonna burn all my money so I can make shitloads of money!

Burn the bad money to make good money once the bad money becomes good money again

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wow 100% gains today!
and
We only need a few of the people without faith to exit the market to drive up demand again

are pretty routine penny stock grifts. We're at the point of the exit where you don't need to be the smartest or fastest grifter to avoid being the bag holder, just the least dumb and least slow. Do you feel lucky?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

priznat posted:

Some back of the envelope calcs say that this is between 1.6 (at max cap) and 2.5 (at nominal capacity) percent of the ERCOT capacity. I assumed the minimum of the 40% estimate, even tho the expert says that it is likely more. seems pretty insane

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
poo poo, I misread it and thought it said mining used 40% of the power in texas. now that would explain all their issues.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ymgve posted:

poo poo, I misread it and thought it said mining used 40% of the power in texas. now that would explain all their issues.

If it's using 40% of 3,500 MW that's still 1,400MW of Texas's current 54,239MW capacity or ~2.5% which is still significant for something that doesn't actually produce anything.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Heath posted:

If I buy 1 billion Luna for a dollar and if it goes up even a little bit... I'll be ins anely wealthy

It's a long shot, but I have to try. This is my last hope

(my mother asks me if I've applied for any jobs today)

Listen wench,
This is a very real thing I keep hearing.

Now that it’s near worthless people are thinking of just throwing $50 at it, the logic being that if you get like 120k LUNA as a result, beside the price is so low, then if it hits $1 - which sounds like such a small number when it once traded at over $100 - then you get $120k and can stop being a wage slave. If it doesn’t, you’ve only lost $50 so what’s the big deal?

The problems with this logic are obviously myriad. One of the most obvious ones is that for LUNA to hit $1 with its circulating supply it would mean it would have 183x the market capitalisation of Bitcoin. The other obvious problem is that it assumes that everyone will do this, rather than cash out earlier, or even that the fundamental UST/LUNA thing isn’t still a house of cards.

People truly are desperate.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It did reach something like 40 - 50x its all-time low just a few days after it hit that low (from around 0.00001 to 0.00045 or so). That was a pretty lucky break for anyone who threw $10 at it when it was at rock bottom, but returning to a dollar is just impossible. Even hitting just a cent is extraordinarily unlikely.

edit: the all time low was 0.000001 actually so that was a 400 - 500x surge lol

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 22, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LMAO, my dog and myself almost froze to death when we had that power outage for days. I was murderously angry then. Seeing that it was all over bitcoin...I'm not even sure how to feel...brain broken maybe?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

1,400 MW of electricity. Jesus Christ that is a huge sum of power. That's a large scale dedicated powerplant of coal/nuclear/gas complete output

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

LifeSunDeath posted:

LMAO, my dog and myself almost froze to death when we had that power outage for days. I was murderously angry then. Seeing that it was all over bitcoin...I'm not even sure how to feel...brain broken maybe?

:crackping: is the response I think

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1528413510392090625

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t…understand what that accomplishes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

it fixes the problem of a sucker having money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CharlestheHammer posted:

No one can loot your corpse