Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

beer gas canister posted:

yes! i encountered the same issue. i tried a bunch of different poo poo and the only solution was to update to the newest firmware. info is scant but it seems to be caused by a bugged PSX core. also saw suggestions that it's related to the selected controller type. i encountered it with Bushdio Blade 1 and Einhander.

oh good! unfortunately i've already got the latest 351elec (20211122)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

whaley posted:

oh good! unfortunately i've already got the latest 351elec (20211122)

Well..that isn't.

https://amberelec.org/download

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

am I missing something, the page literally says 20211122. all they did was change the name

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

There are beta builds that may be worth trying: https://github.com/AmberELEC/AmberELEC-prerelease/releases

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

am I missing something, the page literally says 20211122. all they did was change the name

No sorry that's me being a dope, I thought there had been a stable since then. I'd upgrade to one of the beta builds, they're real stable and you can roll back by using the upgrade tar from 20211122 if you need to

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

It's not a typical use case for one of these devices, but any recommendations on a retro handheld to be used primarily for Pico 8 games? I'm mostly using FPGA (MiSTer and Analogue Pocket) for actual retro stuff, so not overly concerned with emulation performance.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think most things can play pico8 just fine so, Miyoo Mini? RG280V?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Hot Stunt posted:

It's not a typical use case for one of these devices, but any recommendations on a retro handheld to be used primarily for Pico 8 games? I'm mostly using FPGA (MiSTer and Analogue Pocket) for actual retro stuff, so not overly concerned with emulation performance.

I think it depends how much of a "perfect" device you're looking for. Pico8's 128x128 resolution means there aren't many devices out there that have an optimal integer scaling factor.

The Anbernic 351/552 devices (and the Powkiddy devices that run ArkOS/AmberElec derivitives) can run the Linux version of Pico-8 natively, so there's 100% compatibility, and they can also run the Splore browser which is great on wifi devices. The 552 is the only one with a perfect integer scale (9x) and it looks fantastic (as most things do on that screen), but buying a 552 primarily for Pico8 is complete overkill. The RG351p is probably the most affordable but the scaling is a bit blurry due to the aspect ratio of the screen. The 351v may be better but it's a different form factor I don't own.

Outside that, most devices will end up running it through fake-08 or Retro8 emulation, which isn't 100% accurate yet. The most quickly obvious test is loading Celeste - the emulated versions play the music slightly differently than "real" Pico8. It's generally improved a lot in recent versions of fake-08 and I haven't found any gameplay glitches in the carts I've tried, but it still bugs me slightly to know the music is wrong and so there are possibly other inaccuracies.

If you'd be happy with the emulation route, as always the Miyoo Mini is a great shout. It's affordable, pocketable (feels like a perfect match for the Pico-8 style) and the games look great on the small but high res screen, even with off-integer scaling. But without wifi or splore you're stuck with preloading carts onto the microSD card.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I can attest that the 351v is so good for Pico8 that it feels like it could have been the official system.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Out of curiosity, how are folks setting up pico8/Splore on an emulationstation handheld? I was actually just thinking about it too and plunked down the $20 for it and the voxel thing. I know the rpi build should work but it looks like I'll have to create my own .sh script to launch it, which is no biggie but I'm just curious if there's a ready-made package or something.

I know it'll play the games by just dropping the png/p8 files in the folder, but running Splore would be much cooler.

edit: dangit, it's running on my 503 with jelos but for some reason not connecting even though wget is there. Siiigh

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 22, 2022

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

JazzFlight posted:

I can attest that the 351v is so good for Pico8 that it feels like it could have been the official system.

I will second this opinion and add that Splore really busts it wide open.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

kirbysuperstar posted:

No sorry that's me being a dope, I thought there had been a stable since then

well they sure do act like it with that name change. i'mma try one of the beta builds

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

YMMV but the latest prerelease fixed a lot of the problems I was having on the 351V.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Hey guys, bout to pull the trigger on a miyoo mini.

Mostly looking for something very portable to play psx games on. Form factor seems fine to me- aside from this- is it a good choice?

From what i have read it seems that already people have been ironing out emulation hiccups with new cfw

I also considered retroid pockets but im in Europe and they are 150 eur here...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Science_enthusiast posted:

Mostly looking for something very portable to play psx games on. Form factor seems fine to me- aside from this- is it a good choice?

From what i have read it seems that already people have been ironing out emulation hiccups with new cfw

I love it. It's a little cramped, but the games work perfectly and the screen looks amazing.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Science_enthusiast posted:

I love mine and play a lot of PSX games on it! I posted earlier about this but it's worth reiterating, any game that uses the shoulder buttons heavily is do-able but it's not exactly comfortable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If anyone is interested in a discounted (barely even used) RG552 let me know.

My Odin Pro should be here in a few days and I’m super excited about it as it really does tick all of the boxes for me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

A little later than I said but I finally threw up a Playdate thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002728

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The Odin definitely rules. I'm excited to get it more setup then try my first play of windwaker.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Let us know how the Odin handles Windwaker. The RP2+ cannot handle action games on the GC or Wii well at all, but it seems to handle Fire Emblem and Baten Kaitos well enough. The Saturn emulation is very smooth and is the primary reason I bought the device, so I'm satisfied.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’ve seen people play Wind Waker HD with no issues on the Odin, think Taki showed it in his Odin Lite video.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Odin pro feels incredibly premium that's for drat sure.

I've only played a few games on it but it feels great in the hands and the screen is super sharp.

Its going to take me a long time to set this thing up the way I want I can see that but once its there its going to be perfect.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

How does the RP2+ handle Dreamcast games? I’m jonesing to make cuh-razy money to the sounds of the same three Offspring songs played on repeat

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I haven't had many issues, the big challenge I think is ensuring your images are in the right formats.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retro Game Corps looks at the upcoming transparent black Miyoo Mini version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSIyGb8iNok

Wicked Game Collector looks back at the third party retro console that started it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jujvd_nCG5Q

(Well technically the one that started it all was the GP32, which used of all things Smartmedia for storage, this is the later version, the GP2X)

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Valve Steam Deck posted:

(Well technically the one that started it all was the GP32, which used of all things Smartmedia for storage, this is the later version, the GP2X)

I remember first signing up to paypal in order to pay some goon who was making custom thumbsticks for the GP2X since the stock one was pretty crummy.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

How does the RP2+ handle Dreamcast games? I’m jonesing to make cuh-razy money to the sounds of the same three Offspring songs played on repeat

Crazy taxi was the first game I played and it runs perfect. MSR and skies of arcadia also run great.

Not really played much else in the Dreamcast but soul calibur and Daytona looked good from the breif go I had.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
AYN just announced their next Handheld, the Loki which seems like it'll be a cheaper version of the Odin, they're claiming it'll be the cheapest portable Windows device ever

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ayn swinging for the fences while everyone in the retro handhelds world calls for Anbernic's blood, seen a few people already saying the WIn600 is DOA which isn't too unlikely given Anbernic's recent track record of underpowered and overpriced stuff after the RG351 series seemed to make them super overconfident.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

njsykora posted:

Ayn swinging for the fences while everyone in the retro handhelds world calls for Anbernic's blood, seen a few people already saying the WIn600 is DOA which isn't too unlikely given Anbernic's recent track record of underpowered and overpriced stuff after the RG351 series seemed to make them super overconfident.

The rg503 is, in fact, a fantastic device and I'm quite happy with it. What Anbernic's really got is a PR problem with a weird cult of naysayers looking for issues like sticking a level on the device and complaining that it's tilted.

Anyway, there are two beta CFWs out for it right now if anyone cares. Crazy Taxi runs perfectly on it, have not tested anything else Dreamcast yet.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

zzMisc posted:

The rg503 is, in fact, a fantastic device and I'm quite happy with it. What Anbernic's really got is a PR problem with a weird cult of naysayers looking for issues like sticking a level on the device and complaining that it's tilted.

Anyway, there are two beta CFWs out for it right now if anyone cares. Crazy Taxi runs perfectly on it, have not tested anything else Dreamcast yet.
I think people are just disappointed that they paired up such a gorgeous PSVita OLED screen with such an underpowered CPU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

It's more that anbernic has missed the cost to performance ratio pretty big the last couple of devices when most people already have a 351p or equivalent

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also blacklisting reviewers who criticise them, or demanding first impressions videos be taken down even if they haven't stated an embargo. You can still like Anbernic's stuff but it's not hard to see why a lot of people are quickly souring on them.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

njsykora posted:

Also blacklisting reviewers who criticise them, or demanding first impressions videos be taken down even if they haven't stated an embargo. You can still like Anbernic's stuff but it's not hard to see why a lot of people are quickly souring on them.

It's not hard to see why a lot of people are souring on them; because a lot of people aren't able to think critically about what they see on Youtube.

For instance, if someone was getting paid to put out good reviews and shat on anyone who wasn't paying them, people would justifiably not trust that reviewer. But if someone, say, only puts out good reviews as long as they're getting free stuff, and then immediately starts making GBS threads on a company if they stop, well that's perfectly fine and we'll still go ahead and keep listening like their assessments mean anything. Sounds totally fair and reasonable to me!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Seems that "we'll only give you advance access as long as you give us good reviews" is an arrangement that makes the company doing it look bad, first and foremost

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Seems that "we'll only give you advance access as long as you give us good reviews" is an arrangement that makes the company doing it look bad, first and foremost

Because as we all know the most successful companies are those who work the hardest against their own interests. I mean it's not like it's the reviewer whose job it literally is to be objective or anything.

gently caress it, I'm going all in.

Valve Steam Deck posted:

I think people are just disappointed that they paired up such a gorgeous PSVita OLED screen with such an underpowered CPU

Let's say that OLED, plus some nice speakers, costs $50. Another device with a cheap screen and lovely speakers but identical performance costs $100. This device because of that screen and the speakers costs $150. And now you're bitching about the cost:performance. So they make a better one, this time using $250 worth of hardware. But it still costs $300 now where other matching devices cost $250. Because that's how money works. You see where I'm going here? Yes, if you want nice poo poo, you have to pay for nice poo poo.

Photex posted:

It's more that anbernic has missed the cost to performance ratio pretty big the last couple of devices when most people already have a 351p or equivalent

Anbernic has never sold on the basis of having the best price:performance. If that's what you want, what you should get is one of those Gamesir X2 things and connect it to the phone you probably already have in your pocket that's at least as performative as the more expensive Odin. But that's a pain in the rear end. Because as it turns out there are more important things than price:performance!

Check again that Taki video on the Odin Lite performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9lJiOelHTY
Do ya'll notice anything strange about it?

Did you notice, for instance, that he says he's spent two weeks messing with the device - setting up hacks, tweaking settings, etc? All the 503 videos I've seen were straight out of the box. But did you notice how amazing all the games sound? The speakers must be super impr-oh wait, he clearly has the 3.5mm jack plugged in. Of course, any device can sound amazing if you just plug in some good speakers. But how bout that fantastic UI, huh? It really looks neat to - oh.. wait, he just sorta skips from game to game without ever showing what the loading process looks like. That's strange, because one of the big selling points of such a device, such an "emulation station" if you will, is the look and feel of browsing the library. You'd think Android would do just as well though right? Wonder why he doesn't show that off? I also really appreciate the inclusion of Switch in the headline, with just a 30-second blurb in the end about how it currently doesn't run very well. Because I mean, it's clearly perfectly fine to just throw out there things the device can't do yet, but probably will at some point in the future...

He clearly really likes the Odin Lite, and is giving it every advantage in showing it off. And that's fine, but it kind of accentuates how much nearly every recent Anbernic review is going out of its way to put the device at a disadvantage, and show off, and in a couple cases just straight up manufacture (Look, it's slanty! Also there's DUST on the buttons!), its problems.

Anyhow, if you wanna play portable PS2 and so on, you should totally get an Odin (whenever it shows up). I'm not saying anybody shouldn't, it looks like a fantastic deal. I just - I hate *bullshit*, okay? And I feel like a lot of the Anbernic hate is just senseless.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Posted this in the chat thread:

Walla posted:

Some more testing with the RP2+:

The default Wiimote bindings are in portrait mode, so you have to bind Up as Left and Right as Up, etc. Twilight Princess won't load/takes forever at single digit frame rates. Windwaker is slow but it doesn't stutter. Baten Kaitos and Path of Radiance are very smooth.

Kessen and Summoner crash on load in AetherSX2. Yakuza seems slow and the sound is distorted. Berwick Saga, Dynasty Tactics 2, Radiata Stories, Shadow of Destiny and Wild Arms - Alter Code F all load fine. The default keybindings have Cross on A and Circle on B on a Nintendo layout. It's confusing.

Yaba Sanshiro seems good actually? Dragon Force and Panzer Dragoon Saga both run very well, nearly 60 fos with no sound distortion. Only Shining Force has had any issues, but maybe that's just how the game is? Or maybe it's because I'm using patched Japanese roms instead of the USA release?

Redream loads EGG and Skies of Arcadia just fine, and also at a very high frame rate. Pier Solar crashes at boot, but it might just be a bad rom.

Very much worth the money if you want a dedicated Android handheld at a cheap price.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Reading up on it, if you disable dual core processing on Dolphin TP and WW should be playable. Gonna try that this weekend.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Nice, hopefully that works.
I'm obviously not very far yet (doubt I've done anything too demanding) but its pretty solid 30fps during gameplay at 2x resolution with no other changes to Dolphin MMJR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zzMisc posted:

Because as we all know the most successful companies are those who work the hardest against their own interests. I mean it's not like it's the reviewer whose job it literally is to be objective or anything.
a reviewer's job is not 'literally to be objective' so I don't know if I'm missing something here