Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's a win win really, it's funny that someone tried to swing on Dave and he probably deserved it but they also dragged that dude out on a stretcher looking like a Power Puff Girls villain post-fight so we can also laugh at that.

Not looking forward to another round of nobody comics saying "I ALSO FEEL UNSAFE DOING MY EDGY COOL JOKES" to ride this, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Apparently the guy had:

" a replica gun “that can eject a knife blade” when discharged correctly." :stare:

Sounds like things could have been worse.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Jeez. Glad he didn’t get to use it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jippa posted:

Apparently the guy had:

" a replica gun “that can eject a knife blade” when discharged correctly." :stare:

Sounds like things could have been worse.

it feels like 'knife that looks like a gun' is the worst of both worlds to use when assaulting someone

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'he's got a gun, better use maximum force'

'no no this is simply my gun shaped knife, now hold still this thing needs to be lined up carefully'

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

brought a gun-knife to a gun-gun fight

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
This is what you get when you order your gunblade off of Wish.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

sexpig by night posted:

Not looking forward to another round of nobody comics saying "I ALSO FEEL UNSAFE DOING MY EDGY COOL JOKES" to ride this, though.

Best I can do is Howie Mandell

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Stand up comedy needs to die. Or maybe some comedians should die. I’ll take whichever.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 5, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

it's a win win really, it's funny that someone tried to swing on Dave and he probably deserved it but they also dragged that dude out on a stretcher looking like a Power Puff Girls villain post-fight so we can also laugh at that.

He apparently joked immediately afterwards it must have been a trans man according to AV Club

quote:

Neither Netflix, nor the comedian’s team, addressed in their statements online criticism of the joke Chappelle made in the immediate aftermath of the attack about the attacker being “a trans man,” a reference to the anger produced in LGBTQA+ communities by transphobic material in the comedian’s recent specials.

https://www.avclub.com/dave-chappelle-netflix-hollywood-bowl-attack-statement-1848882015

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 5, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He apparently joked immediately afterwards it must have been a trans man according to AV Club

https://www.avclub.com/dave-chappelle-netflix-hollywood-bowl-attack-statement-1848882015

I know poo poo never happens to the rich and connected but man I wish this became a ''what are you gonna do, stab me?'~stabbing victim' level 'this guy tempted fate' meme soon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LOL John Mulaney is touring and he had a secret surprise opener and it was Dave Chappelle and he just did 15 minutes of trans and GLBTQ stuff and then John Mulaney came out and gave him a big hug. It’s going over very well

https://twitter.com/boobeoisie/status/1527837502819774464?s=21&t=DeXCYL53K7PA9ZV-1sBAbw

https://twitter.com/testosteronejew/status/1527832790565376001?s=21&t=DeXCYL53K7PA9ZV-1sBAbw

https://twitter.com/terminallytwee/status/1527860251655020547?s=21&t=DeXCYL53K7PA9ZV-1sBAbw

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm sure we're going to see a lot of the same arguments reheated. Sucks for the people who had to sit through it, and at this point there's something wrong with Chapelle who is starting to make this poo poo the cornerstone of his act.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
George Carlin documentary just dropped on HBO Max and I're read nothing but great reviews.

Anyone checked it out yet?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BiggerBoat posted:

George Carlin documentary just dropped on HBO Max and I're read nothing but great reviews.

Anyone checked it out yet?

It’s pretty good! First part is what I watched and it goes up until the late 1970s and it’s a pretty good balanced look at the man. It treats him as the massive influence he is but also doesn’t shy away from the parts of his life that were much harder, namely his fall into addiction and how his family dealt with that, but also the moments in his career where he sort of turned into a parody of his early self. I had never seen Rick Moranis’ imitation of him, it’s funny but also very unflattering and very accurate.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s pretty good! First part is what I watched and it goes up until the late 1970s and it’s a pretty good balanced look at the man. It treats him as the massive influence he is but also doesn’t shy away from the parts of his life that were much harder, namely his fall into addiction and how his family dealt with that, but also the moments in his career where he sort of turned into a parody of his early self. I had never seen Rick Moranis’ imitation of him, it’s funny but also very unflattering and very accurate.

I'm not sure I'd call that entirely accurate.

I think he got older and crankier and more angry and it was reflected in his work. He changed his approach a lot over the years depending on context, societal norms and to some extent the commercial avenues available to him. I watched a couple of his later specials and didn't find them funny at all. It was just vitriol, frustration and anger but I didn't if find it to be self parody the way that acts like, say, Kinison or Dice did to where it was just...well...like you said.

I actually found him to be MUCH different, and not in a good way.

What was sad to me, and how I viewed it, was that Carlin couldn't find much of what motivated his comedy to be funny anymore or pull the humor out of it. If anything, his later stuff was LESS like how he was in his prime, where he could skewer hypocrisy in clever, satirical ways and used his art for language and its rhythm. It was just an old man yelling at a cloud towards the end and that's basically I think where he found himself. His act in the later years was just mean spirited to me but I think, like most of his stuff, it was a reflection of the world around him.

Like the joke was over, you know?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

I think he got older and crankier and more angry and it was reflected in his work. He changed his approach a lot over the years depending on context, societal norms and to some extent the commercial avenues available to him. I watched a couple of his later specials and didn't find them funny at all. It was just vitriol, frustration and anger but I didn't if find it to be self parody the way that acts like, say, Kinison or Dice did to where it was just...well...like you said.

What was sad to me, and how I viewed it, was that Carlin couldn't find much of what motivated his comedy to be funny anymore or pull the humor out of it. If anything, his later stuff was LESS like how he was in his prime, where he could skewer hypocrisy in clever, satirical ways and used his art for language and its rhythm. It was just an old man yelling at a cloud towards the end and that's basically I think where he found himself. His act in the later years was just mean spirited to me but I think, like most of his stuff, it was a reflection of the world around him.

I’m not talking about later years Carlin, we aren’t even to the 1980s yet. I’m talking about the late 70s Carlin who got so deep into the wordplay that it inspired Rick Moranis to do this:

https://youtu.be/-3j-yE49gvM

That’s based off of a very real, very stupid Carlin bit about the words “peace” and “peas,” and to hear Carlin tell it watching this impression of him made him realize that he was gonna be a relic if he didn’t change his ways. The doc also mentions Cheech Marin calling him a relic when Cheech and Chong were at the top of their game and Carlin was on his way down. That’s the only time he became a parody of himself; his much later HBO era is, like you say, way different and not self-parody but just a change in style and the perspective he took in his act.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah Carlin never lost his wit or his edge but he definitely transitioned from pure stand-up comedy to a much more vitriolic style. He wasn't really wrong at the end, just less entertaining. I think You're All Diseased is the last special of his I remember that actually had solid bits amongst all the anger.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^He just wasn't FUNNY, at least to me^^^

I remember when I felt the sea change in his act around the late 1990's. It was before 9/11. I know that. I was excited to see him do some new poo poo and had just gotten HBO or something and it was just this angry old dude loving ranting and bitching about poo poo with what I felt was a mean spirit to it. Elements of punching down even, which is hard to make funny.

Kinison in his prime could do angry and skate up on the edge of acceptability but he managed to take down religion, marriage and politics with a lot of darkness and skewered sacred cows in ways that were...well...funny. At least to me. And to a lot of people.

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m not talking about later years Carlin, we aren’t even to the 1980s yet. I’m talking about the late 70s Carlin who got so deep into the wordplay that it inspired Rick Moranis to do this:

https://youtu.be/-3j-yE49gvM

That’s based off of a very real, very stupid Carlin bit about the words “peace” and “peas,” and to hear Carlin tell it watching this impression of him made him realize that he was gonna be a relic if he didn’t change his ways. The doc also mentions Cheech Marin calling him a relic when Cheech and Chong were at the top of their game and Carlin was on his way down. That’s the only time he became a parody of himself; his much later HBO era is, like you say, way different and not self-parody but just a change in style and the perspective he took in his act.

Wow. That's actually really interesting so thanks for the clarification. I thought you were saying at the end that he had doubled down on his shtick and become stale. Kind of funny reading that particular level of criticism from Cheech & Chong lecturing anyone about self parody or becoming relics though. Since, you know, they evolved so much. And I enjoy a lot of Cheech and Chong stuff, as stupid as it is, so I'm not making GBS threads on them but they seem like the last people with the credibility to call someone out for becoming a one dimensional cartoon character.

Carlin changed up his poo poo a lot though. From straight necktie comedy, to hippy poo poo and so forth. I never thought he got stale, just less humorous.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 21, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Carlin himself said it was devastatingly accurate in his book

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
One take I've heard about George Carlin is that his comedy started to turn into vitriol after his first wife died.

I saw him in Denver in 2006 for the Life is Worth Losing tour and was really disappointed when nearly the entire thing was just the same material I had read from his books. His last special, It's Bad For Ya, that was in 2008 was much better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I was so relieved his last special was a return to form, because the one prior was so disappointing.

The Mulaney thing makes me sad.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Ricky Gervais seems like he's always been an rear end in a top hat but the rumor is that is next special takes it to the next level

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1528134323496538114

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gervais himself did some interview a few months back about how he wanted to get canceled from it. The whole thing feels like a cheap publicity push. The clip they put online is so tired, he acts like he’s original for coming up with concepts that have been worn into the ground over the last 20 years ago.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

you either die a gervais or live long enough to become a david brent

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Gervais himself did some interview a few months back about how he wanted to get canceled from it. The whole thing feels like a cheap publicity push. The clip they put online is so tired, he acts like he’s original for coming up with concepts that have been worn into the ground over the last 20 years ago.

So he announced that he's putting out his resume for the grift circuit

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Him, Chapelle and Louis CK will be doing a tour called UNCancelable or something dumb like that any day now

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

DC Murderverse posted:

Him, Chapelle and Louis CK will be doing a tour called UNCancelable or something dumb like that any day now

throw in Seinfeld for
The Original Gay French Kings of Comedy

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Analytic Engine posted:

throw in Seinfeld for
The Original Gay French Kings of Comedy

I will give Seinfeld credit for this: the man has way too much control over his image to ever appear in public again with CK. I just remember that interview special with the two of them, Gervais and Rock where CK drops the n-word as Rock and Gervais laugh and Seinfeld is there like “look you do what you want but I absolutely cannot be seen saying that poo poo or endorsing anyone else saying that poo poo”.

https://youtu.be/il1sgQUtYs8

edit: this clip is funny because it absolutely showcases what a lovely loving coward Ricky Gervais is. Louis and Chris have been friends and colleagues forever and know where they stand with each other and so when Louis said that he was 100% confident that he was in the right, and Chris backed him up. Seinfeld was immediately put off and was like “no way” and held strong to that, but Ricky tried to play fence-sitter by laughing histerically, then trying to say “oh but I would never do that in a bit” to make him look good to Seinfeld and then immediately just saying it their conversation, to which Seinfeld rightly points out that it makes him look like a twat. He wants to be cool for Louie and Chris by laughing but he also wants Seinfeld to think he’s cool so he tries to play that side too and just comes off like the little poo poo he is. Gervais is such a loving bootlicker

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 22, 2022

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

DC Murderverse posted:

I will give Seinfeld credit for this: the man has way too much control over his image to ever appear in public again with CK. I just remember that interview special with the two of them, Gervais and Rock where CK drops the n-word as Rock and Gervais laugh and Seinfeld is there like “look you do what you want but I absolutely cannot be seen saying that poo poo or endorsing anyone else saying that poo poo”.
”I haven’t found it, nor do I seek it.” lol drat

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember there being this weird expectation for Chris Rock to stand up to Louis and get mad at him for saying it, but Rock and Louis have been close friends for like 30 years and Chris Rock just sits there and calls him the N-word.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

I remember there being this weird expectation for Chris Rock to stand up to Louis and get mad at him for saying it, but Rock and Louis have been close friends for like 30 years and Chris Rock just sits there and calls him the N-word.

A lot of comedians are really good 'road friends', they've toured together, honed their sets on the same nights, commiserated etc. It's no wonder why Mulaney might be friends with Chappelle, they probably have been friends for decades. Getting rich and successful will change a person, like Dave; and Mulaney for that matter, but it isn't surprising. Good comedians are almost guaranteed to be hosed up people, if listening to WTF all these years has taught me. That isn't really excusing the punching down but it might be an explanation.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Both of Mulaney’s parents were lawyers and he grew up in the suburbs and both of Chappelle’s parents were tenured professors at major institutions, they both come from money. Not saying they didn’t become fabulously wealthy, but neither of them started at the bottom.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I heard him on a podcast talking about just this. The topic of the podcast was cancelling celebrities, of course.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bust Rodd posted:

Both of Mulaney’s parents were lawyers and he grew up in the suburbs and both of Chappelle’s parents were tenured professors at major institutions, they both come from money. Not saying they didn’t become fabulously wealthy, but neither of them started at the bottom.

yea neither of these people are some hardscrabble 'yea man it was just us in a lovely beater car driving across country to do gigs praying we got there before we needed to refill the tank because that show was our gas money' story, they're two stupid rich kids who always had mom and dad to fall back on

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sekhmnet posted:

Ricky Gervais seems like he's always been an rear end in a top hat but the rumor is that is next special takes it to the next level

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1528134323496538114

Guess this is what James Acaster was mocking him for on Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Guess this is what James Acaster was mocking him for on Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999

Acaster wasn’t mocking Gervais specifically, just the whole genre of comedians who think it’s cool to rag on trans people

Now Nish Kumar, he was mocking Gervais specifically

https://twitter.com/cowboyacaster/status/1386980286211166215?s=21&t=htzdjozTjL2o0lw-peYdzg

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Acaster wasn’t mocking Gervais specifically, just the whole genre of comedians who think it’s cool to rag on trans people

https://twitter.com/cowboyacaster/status/1386980286211166215?s=21&t=htzdjozTjL2o0lw-peYdzg

He explicitly mentions Ricky during the bit, it's great

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DC Murderverse posted:

really he nails it at the end. There's nothing interesting or edgy about him, he loves to be all "OOOOH TRIGGERED MUCH????" but he's just yet another hack doing the same "MAYHAPS I SHALL IDENTIFY AS A COAT RACK AND YOU MUST GIVE ME YOUR COAT OR YOU'RE DOING A BIGOTRY" bit everyone's shithead uncle has been doing on facebook for years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Stavros special in a couple weeks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCjHmt33cfY