Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Hehe cool. Recently found out about this Japanese train game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-ZBPWhhbQ

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mystes posted:

Please stop arbitrarily describing things you don't like as "liberal," it's incredibly dumb.

look at this liberal posting liberal posts. disgusting.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

IMO a car is as close as you can get to having the abstract principles of liberalism made manifest in a physical object

first and foremost because you can run over anyone who doesn't have one and get away with it

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
what if people just walked from place to place because the places are nearby each other

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/co_ha_co/status/1527915889752002564?t=INBEXCiCwRj0LnpyeVycOA&s=19

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:vince:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Homocow posted:

what if people just walked from place to place because the places are nearby each other

what if i want to go to a further away mall with all the same shops. don't take away my freedom.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mystes posted:

Those are very weird to me as an american because i feel like the UK is better for walking/cycling in most other ways but I don't think I've ever seen something like that in the US.

I've seen one in Indiana where a greenway crossed a (semi-abandoned) railway

those gates can be opened but everyone just gets off their bike and walks around them. I assume thats the idea of them more so than to block mopeds or whatever (as the greenway parallels streets in that area there's no need)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Homocow posted:

sorry, this is ableism, we cannot do this

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

What if moving sidewalks then?????

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Why I got stuck for an hour on Thursday

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

An hour to remove your car from that barrier is good going.

Apr 7, 2003

Apparently traffic went from 80mph to stopped and the truck driver was too hopped up on meth to pay attention

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I took my kid to a beach in the rear seat for the first time (she's been in trailers before). We saw a momma and babby dear on the side of the MUP.

There are parts of the MUP that are far enough away from traffic that you can imagine a glorious world with no loving cars in it. Just MUPs and cycle paths through nature like god intended.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Apparently traffic went from 80mph to stopped and the truck driver was too hopped up on meth to pay attention

Utterly horrifying. I assume fatalities

Apr 7, 2003

None luckily. Modern cars are pretty good at keeping the passenger compartment intact. Shame about what you hit though

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

leftist heap posted:

I took my kid to a beach in the rear seat for the first time (she's been in trailers before). We saw a momma and babby dear on the side of the MUP.

There are parts of the MUP that are far enough away from traffic that you can imagine a glorious world with no loving cars in it. Just MUPs and cycle paths through nature like god intended.

I rode to the beach yesterday to meet other bike friends and on the way there was a mom with her kiddo in the back seat of the cargo bike, the mom pointing things out as they rode along. A better world is possible!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Horace posted:

An hour to remove your car from that barrier is good going.

the problem still isn't cars okay :qq:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blglo-PmBXk

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

sat on my keys! posted:

I rode to the beach yesterday to meet other bike friends and on the way there was a mom with her kiddo in the back seat of the cargo bike, the mom pointing things out as they rode along. A better world is possible!

That's how I felt yesterday. Picked up a trailer off ebay and went to buy some chicken feed.

She stood like that for the whole 4 mile journey, just looking at things as they went by.

This was basically the last thing we needed to beg a lift for, it feels very freeing.

Nettle Soup has issued a correction as of 21:16 on May 22, 2022

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Just had a chance to test ride the bike boat trailer I knocked together over the weekend.

Pulls an 70lb sailboat like a dream. Can't wait to pull up to the boat ramp next to a bunch of bro trucks.

Got a chance to ride out for a sail to a local island this morning. It was a total blast but also about as exhausting as you would think. Pulling that boat up a hill is no joke. That said, the trailer design worked out really well and modest hills were strenuous but doable. I just had to be mindful about route planning.

I definitely attracted a lot of attention on the road and at the marina and at least one person was filming so it might end up on a boat ramp fails compilation. A number of folks came up to chat which was a great opportunity to put in their mind the possibilities that exists for car alternatives. I have been know to seek attention so the stares and comment were pretty fun.

The next phase is going to involve a folding bike that I can put in the boat and somehow integrating the trailer into the boat or figuring out how to stow the trailer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leroy Diplowski has issued a correction as of 21:11 on May 22, 2022

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Got a chance to ride out for a sail to a local island this morning. It was a total blast but also about as exhausting as you would think. Pulling that boat up a hill is no joke. That said, the trailer design worked out really well and modest hills were strenuous but doable. I just had to be mindful about route planning.

I definitely attracted a lot of attention on the road and at the marina and at least one person was filming so it might end up on a boat ramp fails compilation. A number of folks came up to chat which was a great opportunity to put in their mind the possibilities that exists for cal alternatives. I have been know to seek attention so the stares and comment were pretty fun.

The next phase is going to involve a folding bike that I can put in the boat and somehow integrating the trailer into the boat or figuring out how to stow the trailer.

hell yeah dude

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

as for the decade of construction 'for us one of the lessons is... go quick.'

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I definitely attracted a lot of attention on the road and at the marina and at least one person was filming so it might end up on a boat ramp fails compilation. A number of folks came up to chat which was a great opportunity to put in their mind the possibilities that exists for car alternatives. I have been know to seek attention so the stares and comment were pretty fun.

fukken sick dude

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

That rocks

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Idle curiosity, how much do people drive, and which states drive a lot. (Excuse the mess.)

Wyoming loves driving
Average driving is under 13'000 miles a year. Or 250 miles a week.

https://www.iseecars.com/which-states-drive-the-most-pickup-trucks-study
https://www.statista.com/chart/20691/us-states-with-most-and-least-vehicle-miles-traveled/
https://www.thezebra.com/resources/driving/average-miles-driven-per-year/#states-where-americans-drive-the-most
https://www.metromile.com/blog/average-miles-driven-per-year-by-americans/

in 2003 there was a down tick, in some graphs, and in 2008 due to the recession.
https://wolfstreet.com/2019/06/29/a...akers-to-panic/

I'm getting confusing numbers on if driving did peak in 2003 or not

https://www.statista.com/statistics/185579/us-vehicle-miles-in-transit-since-1960/
https://wolfstreet.com/2020/11/15/f...e-the-pandemic/

I think, one reason why drivers are worse now, because there are less drivers on the road. So they feel like they can take more risks.
Also the Pandemic lead to risky people being on the road, while the safer people stayed home.

Also less kids are getting a license at 16, but I think that is because the kids are being born in places where it is less necessary to drive.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2021/08/04/kids-and-cars-todays-teens-in-no-rush-to-start-driving/48148523/

Flip side I think older people are driving more, because they are healthier and can drive more.
https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/01/25/the-average-american-drives-this-much-each-year-ho.aspx

Found Just Los Angeles Data from 2005 to 2017 and, Duh to me. I didn't think that changes in population changes car usage.
https://data.lacounty.gov/dataset/Total-and-Average-Daily-per-Capita-Vehicle-Miles-T/ba5z-qxm7
But per capita it has been going down.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 21:54 on May 22, 2022

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

/

platzapS has issued a correction as of 01:48 on May 23, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
got a bike so i can get rid of my car

i loving hate cars so much

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

That's how I felt yesterday. Picked up a trailer off ebay and went to buy some chicken feed.

She stood like that for the whole 4 mile journey, just looking at things as they went by.

This was basically the last thing we needed to beg a lift for, it feels very freeing.

please dont feed that dog to your chickens

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Also less kids are getting a license at 16, but I think that is because the kids are being born in places where it is less necessary to drive.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2021/08/04/kids-and-cars-todays-teens-in-no-rush-to-start-driving/48148523/

as someone who didn't get their license until they were 25, my guess would be money

Apr 7, 2003

Kicked Throat posted:

as someone who didn't get their license until they were 25, my guess would be money

the cheap used car doesn't really exist anymore

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

As cars grow too expensive for most Americans, cars will return to their original place in society. Luxuries exclusively driven by the rich over poor children.

Mayday Cat
May 1, 2022

by sebmojo

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

As cars grow too expensive for most Americans, cars will return to their original place in society. Luxuries exclusively driven by the rich over poor children.

Tesla stands poised for this new pioneering market and automates as best they can

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

I picked up a used 2008 scion Xa for $3000 in 2016 and just saw a Scion XD (I forget the year) for 10k recently. Kinda blew my mind.

Apr 7, 2003

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I picked up a used 2008 scion Xa for $3000 in 2016 and just saw a Scion XD (I forget the year) for 10k recently. Kinda blew my mind.

Companies like Drivetime and Carvana are using investor money to buy up anything desirable too

A 2011 Ford Ranger for nearly $25k, good lord

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Companies like Drivetime and Carvana are using investor money to buy up anything desirable too

A 2011 Ford Ranger for nearly $25k, good lord

carvana is imploding at least and ain't gunna be around much longer. and while another would inevitably take it places, VC cash is also strapping down even as saudi arabia has hundreds of billions of cash to burn enriching the tech-class in america, but, it's not infinite.

the double triple whammy of 1) gas prices blowing up to $10/gal, 2) collapse of all the VC investor storytime used car reseller poo poo, and 3) disintegration of car-based gig-economy poo poo like uber/lyft/dooraass is gunna do some interesting poo poo to used cars soon. i hope anyone isn't banking on being able to extract wealth from their vehicle lol

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:05 on May 23, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Great!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

Cool dog. Love when I see the little ones in front baskets too.

The other day I saw a woman with two kids in one of those trailers and a third on the back seat, was very impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Xaris posted:

carvana is imploding at least and ain't gunna be around much longer. and while another would inevitably take it places, VC cash is also strapping down even as saudi arabia has hundreds of billions of cash to burn enriching the tech-class in america, but, it's not infinite.

the double triple whammy of 1) gas prices blowing up to $10/gal, 2) collapse of all the VC investor storytime used car reseller poo poo, and 3) disintegration of car-based gig-economy poo poo like uber/lyft/dooraass is gunna do some interesting poo poo to used cars soon. i hope anyone isn't banking on being able to extract wealth from their vehicle lol

Well, either that or demand stays high even as scarcity increases and we end up in a mad max situation