Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Right turn on red is just an American thing, right? Like jaywalking.

As a Texan pedestrian, I rarely see any driver slow down for pedestriaslns at a crosswalk. Maybe 1 in 30 will actually stop to let someone pass.

I was pushing my bike across this crosswalk once

and a driver went around me into oncoming traffic rather than slow down to let me cross. There's no light so peds always have right of way under PA law.

Once I was crossing here at this intersection:

and a driver turning right on red nearly hit me. When I waved at him he leaned out of his window, yelled "gently caress YOU!" and zoomed off down the street, running the red at the next intersection. You know he went home and told his wife that some guy "jumped out in front of him" too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

War and Pieces posted:

Slow/safe drivers are unironically responsible for road rage

unironically, but, like, sarcastically?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm a strict speed limit + 4 and stop-completely-at-all-stop-signs guy and these two things have evoked some insane rage, it's pretty wild.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

When I waved at him he leaned out of his window, yelled "gently caress YOU!" and zoomed off down the street, running the red at the next intersection. You know he went home and took it out on his wife and assaulted her.

fyp

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Blockade posted:

https://twitter.com/thornhawthorne/status/1527646165096865797

wut about people who are disabled in a way they cant drive a car?

One of the things I learnt from a relative's geography degree is that, at least in one perspective, disabilities are created by the context. Everyone has their own particular body and mind , with specific limitations and abilities. In a certain built environment you might consider yourself significantly disabled, in another much less so. Like those anti-scooter barriers they put on bike paths in the UK - if you can lift your bike over you can use them fine, if you can't what could have been an easy trip becomes impossible.

If you don't consider yourself disabled imagine they put up olympic hurdles on the sidewalk - an athlete might still get around easily enough, but would you? How many people are made disabled by our urban forms?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

people-centric cities

I hate those barriers so much. We call them "cycle traps".

Around here there's three in a straight line, two are open so anyone can go through, the third one was open for a while, then somebody shut it.

We opened it again.

They shut it and smeared axle grease all over it.

We opened it again.

They put a bolt into the lock and then bent it into place so it can't be opened by anyone. This isn't being done by the council, just some idiot.

Nettle Soup has issued a correction as of 08:06 on May 21, 2022

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Blockade posted:

it's called Universal Accessibility or Universal Design. they'd probably know this if they cared

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Nettle Soup posted:

people-centric cities

Around here there's three in a straight line, two are open so anyone can go through, the third one was open for a while, then somebody shut it.

We opened it again.

We opened it again.

They put a bolt into the lock and then bent it into place so it can't be opened by anyone. This isn't being done by the council, just some idiot.

you can rent angle grinders from most hardware stores ;)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Considering it!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Blockade posted:

every time there is any mention of reducing driving or parking a whole army of people will immediately pipe up and whatabout elderly people going to appointments or how will disabled people possibly cope without driving a car right into the middle of the city. they don't give a poo poo about any of that but they know it plays well and will continue to prop up the status quo, which is "I get to drive anywhere, everywhere and at any time I want at high speeds and gently caress you"

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
A fairly dense development is being constructed nearby, it took years and is super necessary. I still remember seeing a comment in a neighborhood Facebook group from a last that amounted ro “I’m in my 90s and I don’t see how this would appeal to me.”

It took me a lot of energy to not just tell her that she was more likely to be dead by the end of development. Such shortsighted worldview. Not thinking about any other generation, just her own old rear end self.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

TeenageArchipelago posted:

also this one:

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/tesla-autopilot-steered-driver-barrier-fatal-crash-ntsb/story?id=68936725

Car brain makes you use the autopilot in the spot where the autopilot has tried to kill you enough times that you knew that you could reproduce it for family so that you can play your games

lol died because he had to play a lovely mobile game. if he was on a train he could play his game all he wants

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

it's called Universal Accessibility or Universal Design. they'd probably know this if they cared

:hmmyes:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I was pushing my bike across this crosswalk once

and a driver went around me into oncoming traffic rather than slow down to let me cross. There's no light so peds always have right of way under PA law.

No light crosswalks are free kill zones I hate them

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Nettle Soup posted:

people-centric cities

We opened it again.

We opened it again.

Can you post a picture of one of these? I tried searching for "cycle trap" but that returned literal punji pits.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Boot and Rally posted:

Can you post a picture of one of these? I tried searching for "cycle trap" but that returned literal punji pits.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/opinion/2020/june/why-removing-restrictive-barriers-must-be-part-of-our-response-to-covid-19

There are loads of different designs around, sometimes standard bikes can get through but any alternative mobility devices can't (cargo bikes, wheelchairs etc), sometimes they are effectively pedestrian only

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Wait wait what the hell I'm off transit twitter for a week and now they arguing if the term "walkable cities" is ableist?

no fuckin wonder we can't ban the cars these dorks are debating semantics while drivers are laughing all the way to the gas station

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

no fkn way :psyboom:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Speed limits are set for revenue generation not safety. gently caress off.

let this be a lesson that car brain can come for any one of us

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Have a car-free plaza.

https://twitter.com/alanthefisher/status/1527737724479873026

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

TeenageArchipelago posted:

also this one:

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/tesla-autopilot-steered-driver-barrier-fatal-crash-ntsb/story?id=68936725

Car brain makes you use the autopilot in the spot where the autopilot has tried to kill you enough times that you knew that you could reproduce it for family so that you can play your games

quote:

“There’s a global race to AVs. Do we want China to win that race? Or do we want to lead?" Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wash, argued. "Do we want all the safety, faster traffic and mobility benefits to go abroad, or do we want to win this future and deliver for the American people?"

Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-Mich., echoed that, "It's critical that America be at the forefront of innovation by leading the development in this technology."

"If we don’t, we’re going to lost our competitive edge in this critical space," she added.

Tesla did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment Wednesday, but emphasized safety as a priority on its website, saying its vehicles "are engineered to be the safest cars in the world."

"Model S, Model X and Model 3 have achieved the lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by the U.S. government’s New Car Assessment Program," the website adds.

I

loving

hate

cars

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Self driving cars are so terrible they need a bailout from the government. This isn't a possibility I had considered, but of course it's going to happen.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

quote:

Jessica Raubenolt and her daughter Lillia were trying to cross the street at West Knights Avenue in what police later described as a "lawful crossing." Before they could make it across, the mom and baby were hit by a 2018 Ford Mustang, racing another northbound vehicle. Jessica, a 24-year-old in town from Ohio, was killed in the crash. Her 21-month-old daughter Lillia was badly injured and died at the hospital a day later.

The data recorder in the Mustang later showed that Herrin was speeding at 102 miles an hour before the driver began a hard braking, right before the crash. The speed limit on the road at that time was 45 mph.

Tampa responded by lowering the speed limit to 35 and making the pedestrian crossings more visible with lights and signs.

I think it's an improvement... i just can't help but feel like it's an ugly band-aid that doesn't do much to address the problems of having cars driving near people, and certainly doesn't do anything about assholes going 102mph. The two signs telling you where to stop aren't even standardized!! It's like they just recently invented the idea of stopping for pedestrians and are testing things out for the first time.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
In Germany people have been tried and convicted for murder after, well, murdering people by overspeeding so at least there is some recognition that car "accidents" are not really that accidental

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puK5CwThaq4

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Norton posted:

I think it's an improvement... i just can't help but feel like it's an ugly band-aid that doesn't do much to address the problems of having cars driving near people, and certainly doesn't do anything about assholes going 102mph. The two signs telling you where to stop aren't even standardized!! It's like they just recently invented the idea of stopping for pedestrians and are testing things out for the first time.

On top of being unwilling to do any actual work or regulatory effort, American government is incompetent and ineffectual.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Norton posted:

Tampa responded by lowering the speed limit to 35 and making the pedestrian crossings more visible with lights and signs.

holy poo poo its not going to stop tampa drivers lmao

that city is probably one of the worst in terms of car infrastructure alone, absolute mess because of it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

every crosswalk should also be a speed bump high enough that the heads of drivers don't even come up to the waists of pedestrians. then you wouldn't even need a streetlight.

but mostly crosswalks shouldn't exist. sidewalks either. a complete network of pedestrian (bicycle, personal mobility vehicle, etc) pathways should intersect the road network at as few points as practical.

e: ive said this before in this thread. everyone buy A Pattern Language by Christopher Alexander

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Had this really messed up thought. What if the reason we are starting to see a sort of end of car-concentric living is due to baby boomers collectively becoming too old to drive and are transforming the usa, yet again, to fit their needs and wants.

We're gonna have to wait until that generation is gone, unfortunately. In metro Atlanta, probably one of the most sprawled areas of the country, boomers are just building entirely new suburbs to retire in. My mom moved into one recently, and she's already protesting a new apartment development nearby "because of the traffic it will generate." I don't think anyone has protested the numerous subdivisions of SFHs, like her neighborhood, that also generate traffic.

They do actually recognize the value of non-car travel, but instead of supporting anything public they just buy golf carts and hire charter buses.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

look at this ableist bullshit

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Speed limits are set for revenue generation not safety. gently caress off.

Peanut brain.

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1527992709146869761

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

imagine a world where when given a choice, people would rather travel for leisure than for work urine one

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

distortion park posted:

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/opinion/2020/june/why-removing-restrictive-barriers-must-be-part-of-our-response-to-covid-19

There are loads of different designs around, sometimes standard bikes can get through but any alternative mobility devices can't (cargo bikes, wheelchairs etc), sometimes they are effectively pedestrian only

Basically these yeah. This seems like a good selection:

There's a nice one here placed right at the bottom of a very short, steep hill, getting the panniers through that is fun...

mystes
May 31, 2006

Those are very weird to me as an american because i feel like the UK is better for walking/cycling in most other ways but I don't think I've ever seen something like that in the US.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

they have those on the expo bike path in LA for some reason

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

mystes posted:

Those are very weird to me as an american because i feel like the UK is better for walking/cycling in most other ways but I don't think I've ever seen something like that in the US.

Same. That poo poo is baffling to me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are they meant to keep bikes out?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

a_pineapple posted:

Wait wait what the hell I'm off transit twitter for a week and now they arguing if the term "walkable cities" is ableist?

no fuckin wonder we can't ban the cars these dorks are debating semantics while drivers are laughing all the way to the gas station

That's the purpose of wreckers, preserve the status quo under the guise of social justice.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I'm specifically talking about highways. Cars don't belong in cities. In fact this solution spain came up with is actually the real car brain. Just ban the cars from the city. It's not hard. The city in Spain existed before cars, you don't have to build around them

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 18:50 on May 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are they meant to keep bikes out?

Motorcycles and scooters primarily, but yes. A lot of these paths were built with the idea that it was pedestrians vs cars & bicycles rather than pedestrians & bicycles vs cars. around my way a lot of them have been removed in the last few years. the cycling infrastructure in my area is substantially better than it was ten years ago.