Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

jokes posted:

About to do my annual re-run through final fantasy XI. Just a cool and chill time running around, grinding mobs, and doing an absurd amount of drugs which only enhances the experience.

Goonspeed, I wish to live vicariously through you (my steam deck is coming in soon and I'm tempted to ruin my life by having handheld XI on demand though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh man that would be such a good time! Perfect couch experience. Especially if you can get Windower and controller mods working.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ashtarath posted:

So on a whim I picked up this game and have been enjoying myself. Started using windower to make stuff a little closer to ffxiv like i'm familiar with. But for some reason last night all my controller keybinds randomly swapped around. Have realised there is multiple configs in the us and eu folders but neither seem to actively stick when i set them up how I want it to be. Anyone encountered anything like this before? I'm using a ps5 controller through ds4windows if that helps at all.

I ended up just creating a controller configuration through steam, mapping the controller buttons to kb+m. It only works if you run steam as administrator, but the upside is I can use the controller to navigate the play online browser.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Ds4windows totally hosed with my controller bindings with ffxi for some reason, using either ps4 or ps5 controllers. Try exiting out and seeing if that helps.

it really was that easy cheers. Don't know why it was fine to start with but all well game is playable now

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
drat it it's been like a decade since I last played and lord knows my old info is long lost but it's on sale on steam with a free month...I'm gonna get back on my FF bullshit. I've been looking for a side MMO to play with 14 and it's incredibly fitting that I'm just winding up jumping back to 11 :argh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well or I would but somehow this is being harder than government accounts to log into. I've made and linked a PlayOnline account to my Square account, I've made a password for my PlayOnline account, I made a member profile, I try to log in with my member password and then it asks for my square password and then...it tells me one is wrong and fucks off...I'm pretty sure neither are wrong though???

edit: Weirdly instead of the normal 'your password is wrong' it's an 'Account Certification Error' code POL - 5311 if that helps?

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 21, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
"member password" is a password if you're sharing the system that has POL installed with multiple people and don't want them uh, getting to the login screen with your userID I guess, it's entirely client side so ignore that setting

Make sure you put your POL password (it's different!) in the PlayOnline Password section of the Member settings, you need both that AND your Square Enix ID/PW to log in to POL

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
nevermind I got it, apparently it gets pissy if you don't use an authenticator for 11 and you do normally.

Now I'm patching and good to go. I assume goons are still mainly on Asura? The wiki guide kinda makes it sound like RMT hell but it also sounds like they're being a bit dramatic.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 21, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You’ll more than likely be on your own. Asura has a functioning economy and most people start there

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Just be sure to turn the /yell channel off.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
How long is it possible to hang onto the product key from this Steam sale? Does the free 30 days start from when you register the product key?

Asking because I might be a bit busy for a while.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Okay so I'm in and loving this game all over again, super fast leveling is great, already level 15 and just did 1 mission/unlocked trusts...but I have no idea what I should be DOING these days.

Like, I'm following the 1-119 guide on the wiki and it helps but it's also not clear when things unlock. I need to meet Gilgamesh to unlock support jobs and that requires the Rhapsodies of Vanadiel stuff but it also says that doesn't unlock until I'm basically done with my city missions? I also have no idea at what point different expansions unlock anymore so when I hit 30 I don't much know what is available to me right away. They've removed the subjob/main job specific level requirements right, so it's just get any job to 30 and go do the quest?

I think the goal for now is just power through city stuff to get to Juno officially and all, and I know for sure I at least need to get through the first couple chunks to unlock the other cities/airship pass, but I'm just kinda running around blind for now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

super-redguy posted:

How long is it possible to hang onto the product key from this Steam sale? Does the free 30 days start from when you register the product key?

Asking because I might be a bit busy for a while.

Yeah it only starts when you register the keys

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sexpig by night posted:

The wiki guide kinda makes it sound like RMT hell but it also sounds like they're being a bit dramatic.
spicyryan has an axe to grind against literally every human being that isn't him

(yell chat is loving full of the same four RMT over and over but that's the price you pay for a functioning Auction House and people to do stuff with)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah also if the other servers had more than 20 people at a time online they'd have more active merc/RMT yells too. Just filter /yell out or use an addon like fuckoff

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it was fine last night, there was RMT poo poo but also, ya know, actual people talking in Windurst and I'd rather pay the price of the former for the latter than run around a ghost town going 'at least there's no RMT'

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Like, I'm following the 1-119 guide on the wiki and it helps but it's also not clear when things unlock. I need to meet Gilgamesh to unlock support jobs and that requires the Rhapsodies of Vanadiel stuff but it also says that doesn't unlock until I'm basically done with my city missions? I also have no idea at what point different expansions unlock anymore so when I hit 30 I don't much know what is available to me right away. They've removed the subjob/main job specific level requirements right, so it's just get any job to 30 and go do the quest?

Rhapsodies is a bit convoluted as you need to progress other storylines along with it. The subjob unlock should be doable the moment you get to either Selbina or Mhaura, I think you only need to be level 5 and zone into one of the main cities to get the Rhapsodies "starting" cutscene. Once you unlock subjobs and get Rhapsody in White you need to start advancing city missions and then eventually other plotlines.

I do recommend following Rhapsodies as you level up to a certain point. Basically everything up to the Siren fight is doable below level cap, then you'll either need help or wait until you're 99 to continue. The Rhapsody key items are incredibly useful for speeding up leveling.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

spicyryan has an axe to grind against literally every human being that isn't him

I admire his dedication. I moved to Asura in maybe 2011 and he was already like that, for reference.

He does know as much about the game as you'd expect though, too.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

If I start now is it too late to get shantotto 2?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nope, you have until June 2 to get 300 points so just log on 3 times between then and now and you can get her

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

tbh I didn't really feel any different on Ragnarok right up to the point where I needed a gold chain for the blue mage AF and had to watch xiah for an entire day for one to get listed.

It's not all bad, at least. There's one annoying guy in yell chat who I blacklisted immediately, but I've mostly been subsisting on vibes while bouncing from zone to zone to pick up blue magic. I went around exploring Bostaunieux Oubliette last night, which is something I'd never done even when i was actively subbed, and even if it is just a dinky sewer it was cool going to parts of the map I'd never set foot in before.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Probably doesn't seem like much early on, but Shantotto II is nutballs if you play something doing dark oriented skill chains. She'll double dark and then magic burst off it and other nonsense.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Vitamean posted:

tbh I didn't really feel any different on Ragnarok right up to the point where I needed a gold chain for the blue mage AF and had to watch xiah for an entire day for one to get listed.

It's not all bad, at least. There's one annoying guy in yell chat who I blacklisted immediately, but I've mostly been subsisting on vibes while bouncing from zone to zone to pick up blue magic. I went around exploring Bostaunieux Oubliette last night, which is something I'd never done even when i was actively subbed, and even if it is just a dinky sewer it was cool going to parts of the map I'd never set foot in before.

i've played only on bahamut and for the most part it's fine, but i've also never spoken to anyone else in-game other than the daily unity chat quest

i did have trouble getting one of the ingredients for my dnc AF tho, same with the cruor pieces, and i had to similarly watch ffxiah for a couple days. and siren was really hard and i couldn't solo her until 78, i think? other than that, playing on not-asura was fine.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vitamean posted:

I went around exploring Bostaunieux Oubliette last night, which is something I'd never done even when i was actively subbed, and even if it is just a dinky sewer it was cool going to parts of the map I'd never set foot in before.
Bostanieux is loving sick and I'm sad that there's never any reason to poke around in the sewer with gross leeches and actual vampires. I like that zone way too much for just being a hallway made of stone.

(it's also actually pretty good for leveling at two distinct brackets, off entrance bats and then again off the leeches near the end, but that's just like, whatever)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

gently caress the leeches if only because there's an NM with a fuckin identical name who is way higher level because gently caress you

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'd initially jumped in there because it was the least painful place to find slimes to learn Digest, but after I picked it up I kept going. I don't think I ever even did the map quest on my old character, so I didn't realize there was an exit out to Ronfaure.

Was able to scoop a bunch of ToAU spells last night. Still got a few of them I'm gonna try to get from Caedarva. It's been fun sorta planning my route on spells I'm gonna pick up per area - my commitment to not start CoP til after I finish RotZ has meant that I missed out on some spells locked in Riverne and Phomiuna, but those should be coming back now that I can take on stuff in Ifrit's Cauldron and Uleguerand.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Glagha posted:

gently caress the leeches if only because there's an NM with a fuckin identical name who is way higher level because gently caress you

ffxi.txt

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Gnossiennes posted:

i've played only on bahamut and for the most part it's fine, but i've also never spoken to anyone else in-game other than the daily unity chat quest

i did have trouble getting one of the ingredients for my dnc AF tho, same with the cruor pieces, and i had to similarly watch ffxiah for a couple days. and siren was really hard and i couldn't solo her until 78, i think? other than that, playing on not-asura was fine.

I'm also current on Bahamut after swearing off Asura. Monday morning /sea all shows 1392 people. Saw around 1700 on tuesday last week. Server seems active without having the extreme toxicness Asura seems to have attracted.

Granted how many of those are jp only/bots/actually capable of helping you in endgame etc are unknown, but so far I haven't had trouble with the market board like others constantly bring up.

Server transfers are $10 and if Asura's toxicness is too much for you come be chill over on bahamut.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok i started over, got shantotto 2 since you get 500 points for logging in. im an elf lady with a long rear end neck. rolled on asura for now but if its annoying ill swap to bahamut.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Am I willing to reup my sub for one month to get shantotto 2? Decisions…

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Badger of Basra posted:

Am I willing to reup my sub for one month to get shantotto 2? Decisions…
free login campaign is ongoing until may 31st

so you just have to reinstall...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

drat ok

I think I left it installed so if I can remember how to log in (no small feat for this game) I should be good

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ugh i had xiv crossbar installed before but now i have no idea how the hell i had it working. the install instructions are pretty awful.

edit: I think i got it maybe

queeb fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 24, 2022

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

queeb posted:

ugh i had xiv crossbar installed before but now i have no idea how the hell i had it working. the install instructions are pretty awful.

edit: I think i got it maybe

FFXI: the install instructions are pretty awful

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

if I'm using those hi-res texture mods, do I need to update them basically every time there's a game update?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

if I'm using those hi-res texture mods, do I need to update them basically every time there's a game update?

Yes, unless you chainload them with xipivot (this won't work for stuff like fonts which load before plugins can)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hm I have a folder named xipivot so maybe that's what I did

also: are there any other good trusts from the login campaign besdies shantotto 2? turns out I have 2000 points

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Badger of Basra posted:

hm I have a folder named xipivot so maybe that's what I did

also: are there any other good trusts from the login campaign besdies shantotto 2? turns out I have 2000 points

Some of the better trusts are locked behind getting a certain number of other trusts, so grab all you can.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

dang just got my trusts and shantotto slaps and also this paladin dude is just one shotting everthing with his jump sword attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah he does that at low levels, it's great