Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I need to use my pressure cooker more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Honestly, I've never mastered the art of pressure cooking. I use it for potatoes, pumpkin and sweet potato for mash, and for steaming vegetables. But everything else I've tried to do in a pressure cooker has just been more mess than it's worth. Maybe it's better with one of those fandangled electrical jobs.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pressure cookers are kind of cool but you need to pay attention to them.

I've gone the other direction and use my slow cooker a lot as I can just set & forget, so it does it's thing all day while I'm at work.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
My life is such that I frequently find myself needing a gallon of chickpeas in like an hour and a half, so my instant pot has become indispensable.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah I have an instant pot. It seems neat but 2 of the 4 times I’ve done a “set it and forget it” approach - it didn’t turn out well.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
How does rice turn out in an instant pot ? I've been looking at rice cookers, and if an instant pot does a decent job, that might be an excuse to get one.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lady Disdain posted:

How does rice turn out in an instant pot ? I've been looking at rice cookers, and if an instant pot does a decent job, that might be an excuse to get one.
When I've visited my parents I've used their Instant Pot to cook rice. It turns out fine. Not quite as good as when I cook it on the stove, and I've never used a rice cooker but I imagine those are also superior, but still totally acceptable. Personally I eat so much rice that I wouldn't want to compromise on the quality, especially when it's so effortless to cook it on the stove, but if rice were a rare feature of my diet and I found it a lot of trouble to cook in the first place, an Instant Pot would be nice (and way overkill, but of course it also does other stuff).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Yeah, that's my thinking too for the most part. Stove-top rice is pretty much effortless. But a rice cooker would free up a burner for the rare occasion that I use the entire hob. I'm also interested in the keep warm function, but a decently heavy saucepan does that pretty well.
For now, I guess I'll leave the instant pot on my if I happen to find one massively discounted list.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

My favourite part about instant pot rice is that the ratio is always 1:1 rice:water since there's no evaporation.

The only time I have trouble with set-and-forget is when I'm making anything thicker than a soup, as certain ingredients tend to stick to the bottom and cause a burn alarm.

Soup always works 100% though. Make some pea soup last night in it and it was bloody delicious. Slightly upset it took me this long in my life to discover pea soup tbh.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I sprung for a Zojirushi rice cooker, and it's been one of the best kitchen purchases I ever made. I like setting it to make congee overnight, so it's there and ready for me when I wake up.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I sprung for a Zojirushi rice cooker, and it's been one of the best kitchen purchases I ever made. I like setting it to make congee overnight, so it's there and ready for me when I wake up.

Ooh, I almost bought a Zojirushi, but then chickened out because I couldn't decide on a model. Which one do you have ?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

We use our Instant Pot for cooking rice a lot because we got one as a gift from my parents, and really can't justify getting a separate rice cooker since our kitchen is cramped as is. IMHO it does a good job, a lot better than I can manage on the stove-top and saves an extra hob and a pot and a lot of trouble when I'm busy cooking something else. We're not really particular about our rice, so YMMV - if you just need something to cook rice with, get a rice cooker.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

Ooh, I almost bought a Zojirushi, but then chickened out because I couldn't decide on a model. Which one do you have ?

I have the NS-TSC10 model.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

for fucks sake posted:

My favourite part about instant pot rice is that the ratio is always 1:1 rice:water since there's no evaporation.

The only time I have trouble with set-and-forget is when I'm making anything thicker than a soup, as certain ingredients tend to stick to the bottom and cause a burn alarm.

Soup always works 100% though. Make some pea soup last night in it and it was bloody delicious. Slightly upset it took me this long in my life to discover pea soup tbh.

It’s so nice

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I got a Zojirushi NL-BAC05SB coming in today and while it's more for my housemate that eats more rice than me, I may take it for a spin.

Plot twist: I'm an Asian that's gone full keto and my housemate is a white weeb.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
instant pot is a brand item and not any pressure cooker, right?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

von Braun posted:

Yes. Most pressure cookers are stovetop models: you heat them up with your stove. The Instant Pot is a standalone electric thing that heats itself up, has various functions, etc. It has a rice cooking mode.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Oh okay. Don’t think we have those in sweden.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Instant Pot Brown Rice

Instant Pot Barley

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

von Braun posted:

Bizarrely we don't. I had to get mine from uk Amazon.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

von Braun posted:

Instant Pot is a particular brand of Multi-cooker; a device that has rice cooker, slow cooker, baking functions, other things. Many of which have a pressure cooking function.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Instant Pot seems to be in the same process that Cellophane, Band-Aid, Crock Pot, Onesies, Kleenex, Tupperware and other brand names have gone through, where it's becoming genericized.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
That clears things up. Sounds very handy!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Zosologist posted:

My life is such that I frequently find myself needing a gallon of chickpeas in like an hour and a half, so my instant pot has become indispensable.

What's your method for pressure cooking dry chickpeas?
1 cup dry to 3 cups water?
High pressure 23 minutes?

I did some searching and there was an unexpected amount of variance in the recipes.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I made two very delicious curries last night.

Sri Lankan beetroot curry and Pumpkin and peanut curry.
Both incredibly easy and really tasty. I threw a tin of chickpeas into the pumpkin curry, and used roasted peanuts because they're all I had.

For dessert, I made Torres Strait Island Pakalolo (also the Hawai'ian word for cannabis, says google).

I have mixed feelings about this one.
I didn't measure anything, so mine might just be wrong. But the texture ended up being a lot like mochi, and I'm not a big fan. I also added a load of mixed spice, which is nice.
I also made the sauce using a combination of coconut cream and soy yoghourt, to cut down on a bit of the coconut flavour. It's very nice.
Overall, pretty tasty, and an interesting textural contrast, but I won't be making it again.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

Pressure cookers are kind of cool but you need to pay attention to them.

I've gone the other direction and use my slow cooker a lot as I can just set & forget, so it does it's thing all day while I'm at work.

That's why I've been using the pressure cooker as a set and forget. Once you hit that threshold with stuff, it becomes super nice.

Rice in instant pot is set and forget. Basmati is 6 minutes under pressure and 15 natural. Instant pot counts up once pressure is off so it's easy to track this. basmati ref: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-basmati-rice/ & likewise for brown rice: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-brown-rice/

these people have good tests and logic.

Also, need ideas for what I could do with a bunch of grapefruit aside from a salad. Have a bunch.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 22, 2022

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What's your method for pressure cooking dry chickpeas?
1 cup dry to 3 cups water?
High pressure 23 minutes?

I did some searching and there was an unexpected amount of variance in the recipes.

I do 1lb of beans, 6 cups of water, adjust to size (makes about 7 cups + cooked at this ratio). 45 mins in the pressure cooker actually.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

von Braun posted:

Spotted this in ICA Maxi today. Basically the same thing as an instant pot.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Oh drat, need to check that out.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Also, need ideas for what I could do with a bunch of grapefruit aside from a salad. Have a bunch.

Grapefruits can be used in place of oranges or lemons in just about anything, imo.
So:
Blood orange upside-down cake. I've not tried this yet, but it's been on my list for ages.
Cuban black bean soup. Uses oranges, so tasty.
Some sort of tagine.
Couscous.
Cheesecake.
Bellinis.
Crêpes suzette ?
Grapefruit and poppyseed cake.
Sticky grapefruit tofu. I think someone posted sticky orange tofu itt a while ago.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I posted a sticky orange tofu recipe at one point. I'm on mobile at the moment so can't link it easily, but filtering by my posts should bring it up.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Sticky orange tofu and rice from here. Soy sauce immediately turned it from a pale orange to brown, but it's still tasty so don't care. Tofu also kinda broke apart a bit because I was a tad too vigorous with the spatula, but again, don't care.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I do 1lb of beans, 6 cups of water, adjust to size (makes about 7 cups + cooked at this ratio). 45 mins in the pressure cooker actually.

The is about my ratio, which it turns out it’s close to three to one. My garbanzos seem to take closer to an hour if I want them soft enough to make hummus.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

High or low pressure for ya on those chickpeas ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've been obsessed with ginger lately, so everything this weekend was very ginger heavy.

I made a gorgeous carrot, pumpkin and ginger soup, which didn't warrant a photo, but is incredible. I also accidentally made about 4 times more than I intended, so I have god-tier awful weather lunches sorted for the week.

I made this Hunan rice noodle soup.

Used textured vegetable protein in place of the mince, tripled the ginger, added some soymilk and some extra veg.

Made an almost-disastrous orange, ginger and peanut sponge pudding.

Made a basic sponge pudding with orange zest.
Blitzed a lot of ginger with the orange segments, then cooked it on the hob with golden syrup and some cornflour to make the sauce. It was bitter. Like, really bitter. To get rid of the bitterness, I had to add so much sugar that it was cloyingly sweet. Tried adding some yoghourt to mellow out the sweetness, but that didn't do much. In a last minute fit of desperation, I added in a very large dollop of dark-roasted crunchy peanut butter. And bloody hell, it's delicious !
Served it with yoghourt.

Tried out my local Indian's new vegan thali plate.

From left to right: coconut yoghourt, onion bhaji (on the plate), I cheated here and opted for non-vegan palak paneer instead of the palak aloo, dal tadka, mixed veg patiala style. Rice, naan, papadum.
Everything was exceptionally good, but the dal was godly.

It also reawakened my masala chai obsession. Does anyone have a favourite spice blend for chai ?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Zosologist posted:

The is about my ratio, which it turns out it’s close to three to one. My garbanzos seem to take closer to an hour if I want them soft enough to make hummus.

confirm. It turns out 1lb of beans is 2 cups of beans (measured for this purpose) to 6 cups of water, and again echoing the same on timeframe. I was saying 45 minutes+ under pressure for hummus for me, which is about the same.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

for fucks sake posted:

Spotted this in ICA Maxi today. Basically the same thing as an instant pot.

I actually have two pressure cookers, a cuisinart model and an instant pot. The instant pot just seems to do a little better but they're all the same poo poo in the end. I would imagine those stovetop pressure cookers are identical aside from electronics. Still, I treat them like a microwave. Turn on, come back when done.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

High or low pressure for ya on those chickpeas ?

High. I use high for almost everything except rice, and I’m not sure why I use low for rice except that maybe it was the default.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I actually have two pressure cookers, a cuisinart model and an instant pot. The instant pot just seems to do a little better but they're all the same poo poo in the end. I would imagine those stovetop pressure cookers are identical aside from electronics. Still, I treat them like a microwave. Turn on, come back when done.

1000% no, ime. Putting chickpeas in my stovetop pressure cooker and walking away results in a hob covered in slimy chickpea water and a house full of gas because the water's put the flame out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lady Disdain posted:

1000% no, ime. Putting chickpeas in my stovetop pressure cooker and walking away results in a hob covered in slimy chickpea water and a house full of gas because the water's put the flame out.
Ah, I am completely wrong then. I *thought* it would. For the electric pressure cookers it does generally work out that way if they aren't overfilled is what I've seen.