Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think Kadri definitely should have gotten a goalie interference penalty there, but on the flipside, Nichushkin definitely shouldn't have gotten one last game. In summation, suck it St. Louis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

The Dirty Burger posted:

Broken sternum sounds horrible, good lord
It takes so much goddamn force to break a human sternum. That's like car accident type of injuries.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
it's badass to throw poo poo at the other team sorry if you're a boring fan

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The Athletic's Blues reporter:
https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/1528227508637863936

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
The Kadri play was dirty enough based on his history that he deserves a suspension. Binnington is a whiny baby player, but goalies need to be protected; you can’t drive hard to the net and shove a defender in and risk injuring a guy.

Kadri was interviewed during the first intermission and he said he was pushed into the goalie which was just an outright lie. It was a garbage play.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Playoff Kadri appears!!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m gonna take the over in buckets of blood spilled next game.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Well we lost a good d-man, the Blues lose their goaltender. We're square

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mike Works posted:

The Kadri play was dirty enough based on his history that he deserves a suspension. Binnington is a whiny baby player, but goalies need to be protected; you can’t drive hard to the net and shove a defender in and risk injuring a guy.

Kadri was interviewed during the first intermission and he said he was pushed into the goalie which was just an outright lie. It was a garbage play.

gonna do my Elliotte Friedman impression and post 32 3 thoughts:

1) hard disagree. goalies are babies and that was just a good hard play.

2) the Girard hit was probably the hardest hit of the last 5-10 years since they started cracking down (somewhat lol) on headshots. having said that, I'm not sure how I feel about it. it was fully within the rules and what's expected in the playoffs, and Girard pretty clearly put himself in a terrible position and didn't protect himself at all. i've been bitching all playoffs about defenders doing crazy interference on the forecheck and going way outside their lane to clutch and grab the forechecker, but the NHL has allowed that, especially in the playoffs, since the 90s once Lindros entered the league. there's no way that they let up on that now. every GM in the league is going to point to that and say "we can't be having broken sternums". but you can't outlaw that hit since that's just a good forecheck, so the interference is here to stay IMO, which blows.

also it gave me an excuse to go look at the Lindros-Dackell hit and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmRfnXMRE8Y

hell yeah. what a player. a bigger, more jacked Tom Wilson with All-Star skating and agility and skills and a massive chip on his shoulder. Thank loving God he's not playing now. they would have to start letting so much more stuff go than just interference.

3) I'm very impressed with what I saw out of Colorado--and especially Kadri--tonight. We knew they were skilled, but to absorb a hit like that, looked shellshocked, get scored on, but then come back and cripple a goalie and start winning the physical battle? Outstanding. That Girard hit could have snowballed, but it goes to show Kadri's maturity as a player that he can somehow manage to maim a guy while staying free of the suspension (and not even getting a penalty!). losing Girard hurts, but if they can keep this toughness up in addition to the skill, I think they remain the clear favorites.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Good..... good. They took out our guy with a dirty hit, we take out their goalie! If they try to take out another one of our players, we'll send Kadri into their bench to take out Berube!

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Mike Works posted:

He was literally trying to go to the right of Binnington, towards the loose puck and ran into Rosen and then got pushed right into Binnington.... do you think players shouldn't try for loose pucks if there is a defender closer to that puck? It's not like Binnington had covered the puck, which would have been a completely different situation. You literally can and SHOULD drive hard to the net if the puck is loose in the crease

Also the internet tells me that Binnington is racist against Muslims, so it's karma that he got injured by a Muslim :colbert:

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 22, 2022

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Kinda feels like salivating over someone putting themselves in a dangerous position because that apparently gives you a green light to try and put them on a stretcher for not protecting themselves and that magically absolves the hitter from all responsibility is pretty lovely but on the other hand I doubt the players are calculating it like that in the moment so whatever. Barbashev was coming in hot for that hit, though probably not a full on charge. lovely result for Girard

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

aejix posted:

Kinda feels like salivating over someone putting themselves in a dangerous position because that apparently gives you a green light to try and put them on a stretcher for not protecting themselves and that magically absolves the hitter from all responsibility is pretty lovely but on the other hand I doubt the players are calculating it like that in the moment so whatever. Barbashev was coming in hot for that hit, though probably not a full on charge. lovely result for Girard

Yeah, I mean the NFL figured out years ago that top players constantly getting injured on reckless hits was not good for the sport and started implementing and enforcing rules to prevent this kind of thing. Amazing that the NHL hasn't figured it out and probably is baffled why hockey continues to drop in popularity.

That and the fact that refs pretty much arbitrarily decide who wins or loses in the playoffs depending on whether they feel like enforcing the rules or not is also pretty :psyduck:. More often than not, the bigger "more physical" teams will beat more talented teams in the playoffs because refs decide hooking, holding, tripping, etc are no longer penalties in the playoffs.

Imagine if in the NFL once the playoffs started, the refs said "alright hits to the head on quarterbacks is completely fine now and there's no such thing as defensive pass interference". The way the NHL operates playoffs is just so stupid

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
it is about time someone threw a water bottle at kadri

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hell yeah murder hockey is back

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
As a completely neutral observer: girard hit good, gently caress kadri the dirty poo poo.

I will not be taking any follow up questions at this time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DrunkPanda posted:

Also the internet tells me that Binnington is racist against Muslims, so it's karma that he got injured by a Muslim :colbert:

Binnington is a racist and this is pretty funny.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Kadri will be suspended the next time he looks sideways at anyone.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Who knew Muslim was a race?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
wait are there actually people who think the Girard hit was illegal or cheap?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Kadri play was a good no-call and loving Binnington.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

bewbies posted:

I think it was illegal, but I'd actually call boarding and charging per the book instead of the made up three strides, leaving the feet, consult the 8-ball etc. standards the refs use. People mentioned "Girard pretty clearly put himself in a terrible position and didn't protect himself at all" and "someone putting themselves in a dangerous position" -- and that's exactly what makes it illegal, it was a check to a defenseless opponent that caused them to impact the boards violently or dangerously.

That being said, I'm fine with it. It's fun to watch guys get blowed up, refs can't just arbitrarily decide they're going to enforce certain rules by the book in the playoffs, and it's good to injure your opponent's players, especially if you can avoid being penalized for it.

Arivia posted:

I’m gonna take the over in buckets of blood spilled next game.

bewbies posted:

it is about time someone threw a water bottle at kadri

ThinkTank posted:

Hell yeah murder hockey is back
:hmmyes:

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

I really hope Bednar activates MacDermid next game because the Blues might try to injure an Avs player next game. And if they do, by hockey logic, we need MacDermid to injure Ryan O'Reilly in retaliation

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In what way was Kadri pushed into Binnington? He's shoving on Rosen's lower back before they collide into him. Also you're supposed to try to avoid ramming into the goalie, so lol that they didn't even call it a penalty.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

Yeah. It's an easy boarding call. I don't think it would need supplemental, but it would have been an easy call to make. The responsibility for safety is with the forechecker, and he's put Girard's face into the wall first.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

gently caress Binnington. His name even sounds like a town where they don’t take kindly to your type ‘round here.

Let he who is without sin cast the first water bottle.

And boarding is officially a violent check into the boards from any direction, but if you want to find boarding ever called for a hit that wasn’t to the numbers good luck.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 22, 2022

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

bewbies posted:

Are there people who think it wasnt

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
surely Nazem Kadri, who gets suspended for being a shithead every year in the playoffs, did not do anything untoward.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jamwad Hilder posted:

surely Nazem Kadri, who gets suspended for being a shithead every year in the playoffs, did not do anything untoward.

If he is suspended it's an even bigger indictment that DoPS has an axe grind, specifically, with Kadri.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm sure he did, but the play that took Binnington out didn't look malicious to me.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah it’s obviously a penalty and also obviously not a suspension, it’s not any worse than the play that hurt Campbell in game 7 and nobody was calling for blood there. Kadri’s suspensions have all been for hitting guys in the head when the puck’s gone, he didn’t become early-career Kreider all of a sudden.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Speaking of suspensions, does anyone think the NHL will go back and give Hagel a suspension for this? It was initially called a 5 minute major, then was reduced to 2 by Toronto.

https://twitter.com/JamesonCoop/status/1528438828020670472

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Brendan Shanahan go back to the DoPS please

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That seems like it should be a boarding major because the cross-check itself is not even a minor by post-crackdown standards, but

Aphrodite posted:

And boarding is officially a violent check into the boards from any direction, but if you want to find boarding ever called for a hit that wasn’t to the numbers good luck.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Genuine question which probably comes off salty cause I'm an Avs fan but how do you contest the puck like Naz did and avoid contact? I don't think he can change directions and make a play. Binnington's step that Kadri sees before he makes his momentum changing move is moving right and Kadri has the opportunity for a rebound so this seems like it would be a total non-issue if it wasn't Kadri.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 22, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Nope. two things:

1) the NHL rulebook is notoriously written shittily to the point of comedy, so referencing it to describe how the game is actually played and/or called is pretty much always a losing endeavor. the best example of this is the rule of possession, which is hilariously written as:

the literal rulebook posted:

The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

which I'm sure if someone goes into the SAS archives I had to make this exact point like fifteen years ago when Janssen demolished Kaberle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10-3L4OjPPY

which according to the rulebook should be a legal hit! because possession isn't lost until someone else gets it, and Janssen hit him immediately after he lost it.

2) but even if you want to go to the rulebook, you got it wrong:

quote:

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize contact. However, in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious “icing” or “off-side” play which results in that player hitting or impacting the boards is “boarding” and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as “charging.”

anybody who's been taught to receive a check is taught:

1) don't duck, ever. train yourself out of the reflex to get small.
2) get close to the boards and use them as opposed to being where you can get slammed into them from a foot or two away
3) get tall so you don't absorb the principle point of contact to your noggin
4) disperse the impact across your whole body so that it's not all going to your now-broken sternum
5) protect yourself at all times instead of trying to make a 10% "better" play

and every defensemen, especially at the NHL level, knows:
6) know where the first forechecker is coming from before you even get to the puck

Girard literally did none of that. while the onus is on the forechecker to not hit a guy in a vulnerable situation, the hit that Barbashev did happens 50x a game and he can't have expected Girard to have the same level of hit avoidance as a Squirt. this is the NHL, not a recreational house league. "putting yourself in a vulnerable position" also means doing none of the stuff that you expect a professional hockey player to be able to do. which is why Bednar/Avs aren't + shouldn't be upset about it. it's an unfortunate play, but (john forslund voice) THAT'S HOCKEY BABY

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

None of that changes that boarding is from any direction.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

None of that changes that boarding is from any direction.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Cats picked a bad time to suck it up. Now I want the worst timeline in which the Lightning win 3 in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
How much of the Lightning can we still give Yzerman credit for?