Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

the house looks like a man with a little hat on eating a big sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

You too can own your very own Dog Hallway from Resident Evil 1.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You could if those windows faced south.

E: looks like they face north on the satellite view. Still, plenty of low light house plants would be nice.

E2: midwestern loot box edition

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/506-SE-1st-St-Casey-IL-62420/121468104_zpid/

My no termite inspection requirement has a lot of people asking questions answered by the requirement.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
For $50k you can live a block away from a weed store.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1415-11th-St-Charleston-IL-61920/80645075_zpid/

Honestly not in awful shape.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

lol zillow doesn't even have a Zestimate for my childhood home because theres not enough market activity for a dead house in a dead neighborhood of a dead town in NM for them to even guess lmao

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1528779693779914752?s=20&t=0HtE86vimiPfWBjK84NncQ

https://twitter.com/TophCoins/status/1523798656511463424?s=20&t=0HtE86vimiPfWBjK84NncQ

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

will it be as bad as 2008 if it's mostly a bunch of overpaid techbros lighting their massive salaries on fire?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

will it be as bad as 2008 if it's mostly a bunch of overpaid techbros lighting their massive salaries on fire?

yeah because number will go down and the rich will consolidate power even further

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

indigi posted:

yeah because number will go down and the rich will consolidate power even further

as opposed to periods of economic growth where number go up and the rich consolidate power even further

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Would hate to live in a country where the rich have consolidated power

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Stop consolidating that power, richies! Separate it out! Also can I have a small house pl0x!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

save us, comrade guillotine

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I just need a morsel of power sir, madam, please just some mere crumbs would suffice

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Junkozeyne posted:

Would hate to live in a country where the rich have consolidated power

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
I'm wasting time on twitch watching someone play Family Feud on SNES (from 1991).

They got a board with 7 answers. "Name something people get several prices on before they buy".

House wasn't something the surveyed people said :lmao:

Like... you just bought whatever house you liked in 1991? Hellworld loving sucks my dudes :(

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Houses were like 30 bucks in 1991 and you ordered them from yhe sears roebuck catalog, i think

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Everyone Zillow your childhood home
Mine: $289,500 for a 4 bedroom ranch in a town mostly known for meth

1951 sq ft 4bd/3ba (that sq footage counts semi-finished space.....) - parents sold this for around 150K in ~1998, tax assessment in 2000 was 160K

Tax assessment currently stands at 220K but Zillow says it's a $364K property.

Zillow also says the 1500sq ft 3bd/2ba that my parents built next door to that house and presently live in which has a tax assessment of 182k, is worth 320k. My dad says that Zillow is full of poo poo and they would be lucky to sell the place for 250, I have no idea. Zillow also says our place is worth 40% more than we bought it for.... in fall, 2017.

Mr. Sharps posted:

hm well, give it another couple decades for the climate to push the deserts north and youll be peyote king of east texas

Peyote takes a decade or more to reach full maturity so this is a bad plan for the same reasons that "keep maple sugar intact through climate change, by planting maples too far north!" is (in that case, 40-70 years for maturity).

indigi posted:

the house looks like a man with a little hat on eating a big sandwich

If this was next door to me I would 100% buy it except it would be $400,000

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 22:21 on May 24, 2022

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

For $50k you can live a block away from a weed store.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1415-11th-St-Charleston-IL-61920/80645075_zpid/

Honestly not in awful shape.

i'd consider this one cause it's in a college town

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So i looked on Zillow for other houses in the neighborhood I grew up in and I'm not super familiar with how all this works because im just a lowly renter but isn't that "tax assessment" what the state thinks is a fair value for the house and then its listed for 4 times that lol?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

e: nm

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 01:57 on May 25, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

synapse posted:

i'd consider this one cause it's in a college town

Charleston, IL has some pretty reasonable houses. So does Mattoon to the west. About halfway between Champaign-Urbana and Effingham, both reasonable sized metro areas.

It's not a great town but it's not exactly an entire shithole either. Good fishing out on Mattoon Lake too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

On the plus side you can get houses for under 80K in my dead NM hometown and by houses I mean "1050 sf prefab home that has not had human occupation since Carter administration"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

projecthalaxy posted:

On the plus side you can get houses for under 80K in my dead NM hometown and by houses I mean "1050 sf prefab home that has not had human occupation since Carter administration"

Yeah, no thanks.

I'm in the Colorado side of the San Luis Valley. Land is cheaper, but houses start at $100k for something maybe liveable. And we're going to suck the Rio Grande dry once it becomes obvious how hosed we are in the future. Or when Denver figures out how to steal it, because that's plausible too.

I could go back to my dead towns in Illinois and buy a well kept house for $50k, but that's leaving mountains for cornfields and I just can't do that yet. Closest I might get in the future is the plains of Montana.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

projecthalaxy posted:

So i looked on Zillow for other houses in the neighborhood I grew up in and I'm not super familiar with how all this works because im just a lowly renter but isn't that "tax assessment" what the state thinks is a fair value for the house and then its listed for 4 times that lol?

More or less, yes, though tax assessments often lag a "real world valuation" by some amount. Meaning, something could have a tax assessment of 100k, be listed for 130k, and you might still be able to get a mortgage for the 130k no problem.

What you would not be able to do, is get a mortgage for 300-400k. So, if something with a tax assessment of 100k is selling for 300k, it's someone paying cash. Very locally for me that seems to be rich people from CT/NYC looking for permanent escapes from urban hell, but in a lot of places (and here, as well) a lot of it is huge capital investment firms just coming in with "cash offers" that are actually complex debt structures they can wield in ways that average consumers cannot.

I expect that private home ownership may eventually be outlawed, which is why when we had foundation work done I had them re-insulate with tannerite as a hedge against collapse. I was told it was an "unconventional choice" but that they were getting more requests for it lately.

edit: or was that Blueseal? Blueseal or tannerite, I always mix those up :allears:

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 22:43 on May 24, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Closest I might get in the future is the plains of Montana.

Montana in the shadow of the tetons is genuinely loving gorgeous and a great area. Shame that it's also now mega-expensive full of rich celebs, california tech dudes, and nyc financiers/lawyers buying up that poo poo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There are dying towns outside of the view of mountains with $60-80k houses in Montana. I won't be as annoyed with my lack of mountains if I can drive to them in an hour or so.

But the loose screw in my mind is also telling me to buy a travel trailer, stake a placer mine claim in the woods, and bounce around BLM land when it's too cold to dick around next to a stream all day.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

who wants to be bindle-buddies

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If any work from home types want to flee to Montana PM me for hidden gem spots that aren't currently overpriced.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If any work from home types want to flee to Montana PM me for hidden gem spots that aren't currently overpriced.

an old friend grew up in colstrip, how's that

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Charleston, IL has some pretty reasonable houses. So does Mattoon to the west. About halfway between Champaign-Urbana and Effingham, both reasonable sized metro areas.

It's not a great town but it's not exactly an entire shithole either. Good fishing out on Mattoon Lake too.

I have family in Effingham and it seems like a nice enough place. Plus it has an amtrak station with daily runs to Chicago

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

if you really want to see some eye popping divergence between tax assessed value and market value, browse some old neighborhoods in California.

Prop 13, passed in 1978, mandates that tax assessment cant rise more than 2% in a given year (unless the property changed hands). The duplex I currently live in has an assessed value of $124k, for the whole property (both units). The owner covers their entire annual property tax bill with less than half of what they collect in rent for a single month. If they sold today theyd easily be able to get $2M for it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

i say swears online posted:

an old friend grew up in colstrip, how's that

It's uh...real bad.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

All that smoke there is from miners vaping as they #LearnToCode

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

It's uh...real bad.

neat how those miners took the time to color each of those pools its own tint

it's the little things, you know?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

bawfuls posted:

if you really want to see some eye popping divergence between tax assessed value and market value, browse some old neighborhoods in California.

Prop 13, passed in 1978, mandates that tax assessment cant rise more than 2% in a given year (unless the property changed hands). The duplex I currently live in has an assessed value of $124k, for the whole property (both units). The owner covers their entire annual property tax bill with less than half of what they collect in rent for a single month. If they sold today theyd easily be able to get $2M for it.

I think in LA the property tax is like 1% or less so yeah it's basically a IRL cheat code

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

indigi posted:

theyre not wildly rich, theyre not even regular rich. but if youre making 150k and spending 3k a month on rent thats a choice youre making, and you still take home double the median pre tax salary after paying taxes and rent sooooo idgaf about their financial struggles which are fake and a joke

They should stop buying avocado toast

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

computer janitor spotted

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

Tax assessments are typically below sales prices for a lot of reasons. They don't do actual inspections on homes every year. They just calculate it through some other means, usually basing it on previous sales prices and increases in values of surrounding homes. There are also a bunch of ways for owners to drop their assessed value, like freezing it to a specific low assessment year, a homestead exemption if you use it as your primary residence, or when rich people declare their ski chalets an agricultural business.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Midwestern lootbox: questionable city mascot edition.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/303-Front-St-Hoopeston-IL-60942/216698928_zpid/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Antonymous posted:

I think in LA the property tax is like 1% or less so yeah it's basically a IRL cheat code
1% of $2,000,000 is still $20,000/year. My landlord pays $2,000 per year in taxes on this place because of Prop13. 1% is not that low a property tax rate, it's the extremely suppressed assessment value that's doing the heavy lifting here and all over this state.