Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr. Sunshine posted:

yeah let me just hang my glasses from the front of my vest. It's not like a real soldier is going to be crawling in the loving mud when the shells start flying or anything.

It's like some modern day version of Dad's Army meets The Office. There's this strangely old looking dowser guy. Then a super gung-ho appearing skull scarf guy who also appears to be just some biker dad. All they ever do is dig trenches and wells and make food. Towards the end of the show it's revealed that they're just 50 60 year old reenactors living in Eastern Poland trying to scam some donation money but instead get on Europol's wanted list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Both Russia and Ukraine are insanely old countries. Old rear end troops have been a constant feature of videos from this conflict since 2014.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/ABarbashin/status/1528399289554243586

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Left-wing folks really need to up their symbol game. Both in terms of just handing patches out en masse to people who might get visibility and of coming up with even minimally compelling imagery. The hammer and sickle really isn't the kind of thing many naive 18-year-olds are going to slap on to their kit thinking, "Woah, brah, I don't know whether this thing has some deeper meaning, but it looks loving sick!"

I remember getting in trouble as like a 6 year old for drawing a bunch of Swastikas on one of my homework assignments. I just was drawing curlied pluses and they looked cool, and I had no idea why they had a parent teacher conference over it. I had absolutely no idea about ww2 or naziism and doubt i had ever seen a Nazi insignia in my life by that point.

Looking forward to my kid getting in trouble at school for scribbling Z’s all over a piece of paper.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Vladimir Solovyov was born into a Jewish family.[10][11] His father, Rudolf Naumovich Solovyov (born Vinitskovsky), and his mother, Inna Solomonovna Solovyova (née Shapiro), both graduated from the history and philology department of the Moscow State V. I. Lenin Pedagogical Institute. Later, his father taught political economy at a school of statistics, while his mother worked as an art critic at the Battle of Borodino museum.

Bizarre stuff

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

When talking about Ukraine quite a lot of people instinctively blurt out "Azov" in a sort of Pavlonian response which could be a credit to Russian propaganda but the complete indifference to well-documented Russian expeditionary nazis suggests it really is a conscious and deliberate effort to dehumanize Ukrainians.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somaen posted:

Vladimir Solovyov was born into a Jewish family.[10][11] His father, Rudolf Naumovich Solovyov (born Vinitskovsky), and his mother, Inna Solomonovna Solovyova (née Shapiro), both graduated from the history and philology department of the Moscow State V. I. Lenin Pedagogical Institute. Later, his father taught political economy at a school of statistics, while his mother worked as an art critic at the Battle of Borodino museum.

Bizarre stuff

*Lavrov voice*
The thing about the Jews...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Our Nazis are OK but their Nazis are bad. Mainly because they aren't our Nazis.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Someone posted earlier espousing disbelief that Leftists are really broke-brained over Ukraine.

Just got out of an extremely irritating IRL conversation where a good friend tried to lecture me on supporting the US/NATO MIC, that Ukraine has been bombing their own people for 8 years after a CIA coup, that it’s full of Nazis etc. etc. Like all of the Fox News Hannity/Carlson talking points too.

It’s insane. I don’t know how to constructively engage someone like that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

mlmp08 posted:

me, I just don't think I like this guy:

Everybody's talking about the knives but personally I don't know how seriously I can take someone wearing that oh-so-metal skull mask.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

The Russian nationalist tendency to refer to Brits as "the Anglo-Saxons" is so, so strange to me. It really highlights what a bizarre and moronic propaganda bubble they've built for themselves... I haven't followed Russian language media closely or anything, but I studied Russian for a long time and spent some time studying there. I had never seen the term "англосаксонский" outside like Wikipedia historical articles until this war started. Is there some logic behind it? Is it supposed to make them sound primitive, or something?

Incidentally, one of the early Rurikid tsars married a daughter of Harold Godwinson, the last Anglo-Saxon king, so Solovyov is dunking on his own glorious history also.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Victis posted:

Someone posted earlier espousing disbelief that Leftists are really broke-brained over Ukraine.

Just got out of an extremely irritating IRL conversation where a good friend tried to lecture me on supporting the US/NATO MIC, that Ukraine has been bombing their own people for 8 years after a CIA coup, that it’s full of Nazis etc. etc. Like all of the Fox News Hannity/Carlson talking points too.

You can't engage with them. Just laugh or try to up their nutso conspiracy theorys with your own new conspiracies. If you can get them to believe a conspiracy theory you made up on the spot you can show them how gullible they actually are.

Laughing at the nutjob poo poo instead of trying to rebuttal it is also good. Because turning them into jokes is the only way to get them frustrated as they try to convince you. Don't get mad at their dumbfuck

What has worked on my mother is conversations that she would say "Covid is a Chinese bioweapon, *2 mins later* covid isn't that bad no one is dying" and I'd be like you sure both of those things can be true at once? Maybe neither of them is true because the people saying them are saying both are true"

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Also, dowsing is not real.

What do you mean

Need to dig a well? Dowsing rod! Planting stuff in the garden? Dowsing rod! Can't sleep well? Dowsing rod!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Neorxenawang posted:

The Russian nationalist tendency to refer to Brits as "the Anglo-Saxons" is so, so strange to me. It really highlights what a bizarre and moronic propaganda bubble they've built for themselves... I haven't followed Russian language media closely or anything, but I studied Russian for a long time and spent some time studying there. I had never seen the term "англосаксонский" outside like Wikipedia historical articles until this war started. Is there some logic behind it? Is it supposed to make them sound primitive, or something?

Incidentally, one of the early Rurikid tsars married a daughter of Harold Godwinson, the last Anglo-Saxon king, so Solovyov is dunking on his own glorious history also.

I think I've seen it around elsewhere in Chinese works. Possibly it's an anti-imperialist thing? I.E. Highlight the Anglo-Saxons (i.e. English) as conquerers and colonizers even within their own home territories, and distinguishing them from the Irish, Scots, Welsh, and possibly even Cornish. Imperialists since the fall of the Roman Empire, etc. etc. That's my best guess anyways.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Drove east to west in Poland today, further down south than usual and was happy to see:

1) A lot of Ukrainian freight trucks traveling west

2) A lot of US Army Freightliners with weapon containers heading east. These really stood out, as Freightliners and generally US trucks with the engine in front of the driver cab don’t exist here, so you notice a column of 10. Containers were also clearly marked with explosives warnings and I’m kinda shocked how much in the open they now travel.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Arzachel posted:

What do you mean

Need to dig a well? Dowsing rod! Planting stuff in the garden? Dowsing rod! Can't sleep well? Dowsing rod!

Need to scam Iraqi EOD with bullshit? DOWSING RODS! :suicide:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Neorxenawang posted:

It’s meant to be a shorthand for for US, U.K., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, nothing more.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Tomn posted:

I think I've seen it around elsewhere in Chinese works. Possibly it's an anti-imperialist thing? I.E. Highlight the Anglo-Saxons (i.e. English) as conquerers and colonizers even within their own home territories, and distinguishing them from the Irish, Scots, Welsh, and possibly even Cornish. Imperialists since the fall of the Roman Empire, etc. etc. That's my best guess anyways.

I think this is part of it, but I also see this applied to lumping together UK, USA, Canada and Australia as an contiguous geopolitical entity defined by Anglo-Saxon nationalism.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

The full translation is even more crazy
https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1528410029744869378

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s meant to be a shorthand for for US, U.K., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, nothing more.

It's more in that it is tied to a lot of historical grievances of Russian elites with regard to the US and UK empires from centuries ago in some bizarre eternal Oceania Vs Eurasia rivalry (see: conspiracies regarding Lenin being a British agent, англичанка гадит, etc)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Tomn posted:

It's not used as an actual linguistically precise ethnic term afaict, generally just seems to basically exist as a stand-in for Anglo, except with added clash-of-the-ethnicities emphasis

Somaen posted:

It's more in that it is tied to a lot of historical grievances of Russian elites with regard to the US and UK empires from centuries ago in some bizarre eternal Oceania Vs Eurasia rivalry (see: conspiracies regarding Lenin being a British agent, англичанка гадит, etc)

yeah this. op is right that it is used in a really peculiar way if you just take it as a transliteration of the same english word

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 22, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Victis posted:

Start with pointing out their parroting of Fox News talking points. If they're willing to excuse that unapologetically, they're probably too far gone to help.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I've seen the tankies posting one of the "greyzone" propagandist guys from Twitter, and he uses the word "Angloid" a lot, so its definitely A Thing for them too.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The Spiegel article made me have another look at some right-leaning Z telegram channels.

Yep, that sure is some denazification.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

How are u posted:

I've seen the tankies posting one of the "greyzone" propagandist guys from Twitter, and he uses the word "Angloid" a lot, so its definitely A Thing for them too.

Grayzone just serves as a mediating proxy for Russia and aligned governments. There's a whole ecosystem of these deflective source propaganda outlets; it's easy to identify one layer of them because they wind up giving straight up guest spots on RT or Sputnik.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mlmp08 posted:

Everyone's talking about this guy's glasses and his 3 silly big knives and his skull mask.

But no one is going after his itty-bitty little folding knife also tucked in there. It's adorable. Almost exactly like the one my dad gave me when I turned 8.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Maps! And updates
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1528388686169223168?t=2KCmpLvkE_S1rnL2FKM8Ag&s=19
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1528389610321354752?t=5XD2Nvoi1O1X3RvNdjGf4A&s=19
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1528390343418576898?t=lkbDJNtkaZ3N2Sa1FcJV-w&s=19
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1528392587220221952?t=APe2tdjqfmQyXFzIqamDrA&s=19
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1528394648431243265?t=EDxEfdCC-NPxYsNq3DJuWg&s=19

Edit: also this guy is v current always
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1528489448471683081?t=QNT22_XNNmeoZ5QYWdFo-A&s=19

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Neorxenawang posted:

It's so they include americans too

most soviet propaganda just lumped em together

Donetsk was founded by a Welsh guy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Somaen posted:

Which is funny since Lenin was demonstrably a German asset.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

That's just the standard gear of the Rob Liefeld Corps.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Which is funny since Lenin was demonstrably a German asset.

Yeah the Germans smuggled Lenin and his communists into Russia via railcar and helped finance their activities because it would take Russia out of the war. They didn’t like eachother but it was a gamble Ludendorff was ready to make.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I am well acquainted with the Saxon tribes of the United States

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PITT posted:

There should be a stronger word than sanctions for what the world is doing with Russia, and a smiley.

LUBELESS SANCTIONS

:whip:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
https://twitter.com/AggregateOsint/status/1528447375156600832

Gucci's getting upset about being cut off from their biggest customers.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That's an awful plan

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Randarkman posted:

That's an awful plan

Not if you don't care about UKR.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Aside from regime change it's literally just Russia's original war demands.

Ukraine must unconditionally surrender or the Italian tourist industry is going to make slightly smaller profits this year.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 23, 2022

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
They can get hosed. That's a terrible 'plan' to the extent that it makes me wonder if the Kremlin has some assets in Italy that they're leaning on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

(wtf Draghi the hell you doing?)

Not exactly the same. When Putin talks about neutrality, he means to become Russia's vassal. When an EU nation talks about neutrality, well joining the EU is just the neutral choice isn't it?

But uuuhhh that ain't a good proposal anyways boss.