Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

doverhog posted:

Flight attendant or massage therapist on a private plane that also will gently caress you is a real job, and sex work is work. Outrage at that reality should be directed at the capitalist system in which informed consent is often impossible, on purpose, because it benefits capital to exploit workers.

Musk is stupid enough that he seems to have hosed up even that.

No I think outrage should be directed at the guy who sexually harassed his employee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
That too, but it was implied in the second sentence, for a spicier take.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I hope that not only he suffers I hope that everyone who likes him suffers because it's fun to see people I hate be miserable and there's a lot of weird internet nerds that love him because libertarian tech bro hope nonsense.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Musk has accomplished so much for the world

Such as

*checks notes*

hmm

doverhog
May 31, 2013

doverhog posted:

Flight attendant or massage therapist on a private plane that also will gently caress you is a real job, and sex work is work. Outrage at that reality should be directed at the capitalist system in which informed consent is often impossible, on purpose, because it benefits capital to exploit workers.

This was kind of poorly worded. It is possible to consent to work, even in a capitalist system, because you have weighed the options and it is the best one you can find. Often though this is not the case and active consent has not been established.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

doverhog posted:

Musk is stupid enough that he seems to have hosed up even that.

Uhh

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Does this description of "reality" make you uncomfortable?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a weird post that makes you look weird hth.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It is still internally consistent to believe that

a) sex work is work

and

b) being pressured toward unagreed to sex work is sexual harassment

Hope this helps you doverhog.

Alternate post:

Doverhog more like show 'er hog.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Captain Monkey posted:

Doverhog more like show 'er hog.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's a mischaracterization of what I meant (or if honest misunderstanding, sorry), and also

veni veni veni posted:

you look weird hth.

I thought this ship had sailed years ago. :11tea:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm starting to think everyone who suggests that humans as a species dying is a good thing should volunteer to die immediately

Nothing of value would be lost and the world would be one unit closer to that person's goal

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

doverhog posted:

Does this description of "reality" make you uncomfortable?

i dont think i even need to reply

posting the word "capitalism" should just be bannable at this point. it's just a meaningless catchall when goons say it, and that post is a perfect example of why

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's just a lazy refusal to look at the fundamental reasons why the world is the way it is, or people do the things they do. (and I know this is d&d stuff, and shouldn't be pursued here)

doverhog has a new favorite as of 20:03 on May 21, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shibawanko posted:

i dont think i even need to reply

posting the word "capitalism" should just be bannable at this point. it's just a meaningless catchall when goons say it, and that post is a perfect example of why

This would be a really lame reason to ban people

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

doverhog posted:

That's just a lazy refusal to look at the fundamental reasons why the world is the way it is, or people do the things they do. (and I know this is d&d stuff, and shouldn't be pursued here)

no it's pseud stuff. it means almost nothing the way you used it, and what you tried to say by it was crazy and stupid. you're not alone though because this is the case for nearly every poster who regularly uses that word

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also even if I agree with the basic sentiment, almost anytime I see people parrot the catchphrase "sex work is work" they always seem do it while they are being weird/annoying, usually both at the same time.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Shibawanko posted:

no it's pseud stuff. it means almost nothing the way you used it, and what you tried to say by it was crazy and stupid. you're not alone though because this is the case for nearly every poster who regularly uses that word

What word would you use otherwise? Or do you think using words to describe systems is somehow out of bounds? Should we not use Monarchy either?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Also even if I agree with the basic sentiment, almost anytime I see people parrot the catchphrase "sex work is work" they always seem do it while they are being weird/annoying, usually both at the same time.

Are you calling me a weird annoying parrot? That's rude. If you want you can engage with the argument, rather than whatever this is.

*and that goes for Shibawanko too

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Robobot posted:

Unpopular opinion: I kinda like Teslas. I think they’re kinda cool in that people are allowed to buy and operate concept cars with unproven technology. In about 15 years I bet the cars are gonna be really good. A few dead drivers is a small price to pay for a future with Johnny Cabs and all cars able to go 0-60 in 4 seconds.

In a way they are kind of mass market Homer Simpson cars, but I love them and would buy one if I had a house to charge it and made more money. Well and if they would put a public charger in North East Arizona, my favorite place to do a mini road trip to.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

What word would you use otherwise? Or do you think using words to describe systems is somehow out of bounds? Should we not use Monarchy either?

no, just put a sock in it. it's all been said before, everyone already knows, and you're not saying anything new. if you think you have something new to say about it, go write a peer reviewed dissertation about it, but since most people who talk about it on this forum have model train sets for brains it's unlikely they have something new to say. at this point it's just another catchphrase like saying "sheeple" or "sever" used to be

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rick posted:

In a way they are kind of mass market Homer Simpson cars, but I love them and would buy one if I had a house to charge it and made more money. Well and if they would put a public charger in North East Arizona, my favorite place to do a mini road trip to.

i want an electric car man but i just want it to be smaller. i don't get why they need to be huge sedans instead of hatchbacks

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

doverhog posted:

Are you calling me a weird annoying parrot? That's rude. If you want you can engage with the argument, rather than whatever this is.

*and that goes for Shibawanko too

What is the argument? There's no argument to engage with lol.

No I am not calling you anything, but you did make a post that inspired me to mention it and you seem to already know you make some weird posts so...

doverhog
May 31, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

What is the argument?

That under capitalism informed consent is often impossible, on purpose, because it benefits capital to exploit workers.

It is possible to consent to work, even in a capitalist system, because you have weighed the options and it is the best one you can find. Often though this is not the case and active consent has not been established.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Shibawanko posted:

no, just put a sock in it. it's all been said before, everyone already knows, and you're not saying anything new. if you think you have something new to say about it, go write a peer reviewed dissertation about it, but since most people who talk about it on this forum have model train sets for brains it's unlikely they have something new to say. at this point it's just another catchphrase like saying "sheeple" or "sever" used to be

So "I'm bored and stop talking about it because I've heard all of it" essentially? That seems kind of silly tbh, but I suppose this is unpopular.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

doverhog posted:

That under capitalism informed consent is often impossible, on purpose, because it benefits capital to exploit workers.

It is possible to consent to work, even in a capitalist system, because you have weighed the options and it is the best one you can find. Often though this is not the case and active consent has not been established.

Me calling you weird for saying weird poo poo all the time isn't part of whatever argument you think you are having.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That wasn't the disputed part, but I guess it was directed more at shibawanko anyway.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

sex work is work

sex workers deserve rights, including unionisation, legalisation, regulation, and healthcare

a fuckton of jobs under capitalism are very literally wage slavery, and most people are not able to choose their job because if they try to do that they will starve and die

companies cannot make money without paying people less than they are worth

-------

I don't think any of these things are in dispute because there's been about 100 years of proving the latter two things (Like, they are how a capitalist system is able to function), and the former two things tangibly create better outcomes for people doing sex work, rather than pretending that nobody does it and arresting them and fining them for doing that work, which puts them at risk for seeking help if they end up in danger or at risk of harm, and makes them unable to access legal retribution in the event that they are assaulted or abused

Like if you disagree, that's fair enough, but I do not particularly want to hear your half baked opinions and the feeble attempts to disprove these things, so just keep it to yourself

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 09:37 on May 22, 2022

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also lol at "nobody should be allowed to say capitalism because they do not mean what I mean when I say it and only my definition matters" because that's peak goon bullshit

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

alexandriao posted:

sex work is work

sex workers deserve rights, including unionisation, legalisation, regulation, and healthcare

a fuckton of jobs under capitalism are very literally wage slavery, and most people are not able to choose their job because if they try to do that they will starve and die

companies cannot make money without paying people less than they are worth

-------

I don't think any of these things are in dispute because there's been about 100 years of proving the latter two things (Like, they are how a capitalist system is able to function), and the former two things tangibly create better outcomes for people doing sex work, rather than pretending that nobody does it and arresting them and fining them for doing that work, which puts them at risk for seeking help if they end up in danger or at risk of harm, and makes them unable to access legal retribution in the event that they are assaulted or abused

Like if you disagree, that's fair enough, but I do not particularly want to hear your half baked opinions and the feeble attempts to disprove these things, so just keep it to yourself

lol it's like you exclusively exist to prove the points made by others in this thread

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
So are we staying that no one should have to work if they don’t want to? Because I like that idea, but that ain’t how the world works right now.

Or probably ever. That’s some Star Trek levels of fiction there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Robobot posted:

So are we staying that no one should have to work if they don’t want to? Because I like that idea, but that ain’t how the world works right now.

Or probably ever. That’s some Star Trek levels of fiction there.
When you look at how the world works now, it seems like most people have to be forced to work, because most people, if given the choice, would not do their job. But most people want to feel useful and contribute to society. People like helping each other. The problem is alienation; for most of us, we don't do work that we believe is valuable or efficient and we don't see ourselves as helping or contributing through our work, because we're just doing dumb bullshit at the behest of fuckwits who tell us what to do because they don't know how to do it themselves, for the sake of rich dickheads who want to be richer. If people were allowed to actually do work that they believed was valuable, and saw the results of that work as helping their community or society, they would want to work. People who don't feel like they have a way to make themselves useful feel bored, restless and dissatisfied.

Maybe there'd be people who didn't want to work at all and who had no desire to be useful or productive. And they'd probably have no friends and be miserable, because no matter how you structure society you can't force people to like each other.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

A good burger is beef and a bun. Nothing else.

If you're using lower quality meat patty melt type things or beef sandwiches are fine. But stuff like bacon and sauces can ruin good burgers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FishBulbia posted:

If you're using lower quality meat patty melt type things or beef sandwiches are fine. But stuff like bacon and sauces can ruin good burgers.

Absolute freak poo poo.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Gripweed posted:

Absolute freak poo poo.

Again, nothing wrong with saucing it all up and cheese if the meat is not particularly fatty

but with some good ground beef -- salt, pepper, garlic powder. toasted bun.

try it!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like a little grainy mustard but no ketchup. The special sauce at places like In N Out is revoltingly sweet and disgusts me. Same with orange chicken at Panda Express.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Mu Zeta posted:

I like a little grainy mustard but no ketchup. The special sauce at places like In N Out is revoltingly sweet and disgusts me. Same with orange chicken at Panda Express.

I can vibe with a bit of mustard on the bun.

I think ketchup is the biggest offender though. Big fan of mayo or ketchup with fries though.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

FishBulbia posted:

I very much agree

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Shibawanko posted:

i want an electric car man but i just want it to be smaller. i don't get why they need to be huge sedans instead of hatchbacks

You should check out the Nisan Leaf or Ioniq 5 as they are hatchbacks. Kind of. The batteries are still big enough that it makes them look kind of weird to fit it.

The Leaf is probably the best car when you factor in price and I think the assist mode is probably what most people want as opposed to self-drive (which I think is cool but seems to turn a lot of people off).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

FishBulbia posted:

I bought a burger from a garage side shop the other day, it was £3 and the driest burger i've ever eaten in my life, no cheese, no sauce, no vegetables, but y'know what I enjoyed it and I'd do it again