Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The most fun game, especially when all 3 of them spammed torp bombers at my Heinrich simultaneously from the start of the game.

We had a Graf Zeppelin and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I triggered Yamamoto mid-game...holy poo poo.

TasteTheRambo
Sep 10, 2020
I'm a lowly console peasant so the only Warships I can play is WoWS: Legends on my PS5. Are there any other peasants(PS or Xbox since Legends has crossplay) here I can play with?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So I got yelled at in chat the other day for being bad at the Leningrad. Was bottom tier, and the only DD on my flank along with two CAs and a BB. They all died to two BBs, two CAs, and a DD. They were telling me how bad I was and that a close quarters engagement was playing to my strengths. I didn't think the Leningrad was good at being in close? The other DD was a French DD and even though I was spotting for them they weren't shooting at poo poo.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Minenfeld! posted:

So I got yelled at in chat the other day for being bad at the Leningrad. Was bottom tier, and the only DD on my flank along with two CAs and a BB. They all died to two BBs, two CAs, and a DD. They were telling me how bad I was and that a close quarters engagement was playing to my strengths. I didn't think the Leningrad was good at being in close? The other DD was a French DD and even though I was spotting for them they weren't shooting at poo poo.

It is not. It is very fast with slow-turning guns. You’re supposed to be at a good bit of distance and setting everything on fire.

This was just an exercise in blamecasting by incompetent teammates, the number one cause of losses. I miss 1v1 brawls, because there was no one there to blame me or be blamed by me for a loss- everything was literally my fault. It was relaxing.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Preechr posted:

It is not. It is very fast with slow-turning guns. You’re supposed to be at a good bit of distance and setting everything on fire.

This was just an exercise in blamecasting by incompetent teammates, the number one cause of losses. I miss 1v1 brawls, because there was no one there to blame me or be blamed by me for a loss- everything was literally my fault. It was relaxing.

I'm sure I'm also just bad at the Leningrad tbh. I did around 45k damage by the time I died to the Georgia on that flank. The three complaining in chat stuck around to narrate my failures. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing. I was firing at the Sinop trying to start fires because it was all I could safely hit.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I hate bronze players beyond words

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

General Battuta posted:

I hate bronze WOWS players beyond words

Fixed.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I hate bronze players beyond words

I escaped Bronze and let me tell you, Silver are even worse.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah the thing with the Russian DDs is, their DPM isn't exceptional. They just find it much easier to apply that DPM due to their speed and great shell arcs. Plenty of other DDs will murder them at 6km - thats why I don't take concealment on them - I'd rather know at 7+km if something is there than at 6km.

Edit: regarding the playbase, its gone downhill rapidly. I'm started holding back on my in game chat because either I already have a chat ban or increasingly I am wondering if there are people with learning difficulties playing it. And on the weekend the standard goes down by another huge step. I played a ranked match today where half the ships on my team had no camo and TWO of them were premiums. There's no legislating for that level of stupidity.

Edit1: A low key really good ship in ranked, which I have struggled with in Randoms, is D7P. It has best or joint-best concealment for T8/8 cruisers so it can act as spotter/capper in no-DD games and I've found it very good on the weak side for that reason (ie the side where each team has the easy cap because most players lemming to the contested cap). CVs are pretty prevalent in ranked, and it has the best AA at those tiers. The guns are mediocre but they do have better arcs than eg Cleveland and with 360 turrets you never have trouble kiting or keeping guns on target. The airstrikes have a 47s cooldoan so you can basically spam one every 15 seconds and the range is well past concealment. It also has a rare heal for a T8 cruiser. The one thing I would love is to trade the Speed Boost for Hydro.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 21, 2022

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I'm sure that catching covid19 helped none of this player base.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Evil_Greven posted:

I'm sure that catching covid19 helped none of this player base.

idgi?

I've just ranked out of bronze, its pure hell - randoms has more logic and sensible plays. I've seen winning teams throw a 3 cap lead to chasing a tier 8 cruiser, yolo rushes by too many Pommerns to count as well. Alaska got me through it all.

I boughta Conde and I didn't get why people bought superships, until I switched to AP and shot at anything using burst fire that was 12km away or less, pure toxicity.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
COVID has some lingering symptoms which can include brain fog and various other cognitive deficits.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Aramoro posted:

I escaped Bronze and let me tell you, Silver are even worse.

Shouldn't it be a bit better than Bronze early-mid season? Late season Silver is hell, yes.

Cancelbot posted:

I boughta Conde and I didn't get why people bought superships, until I switched to AP and shot at anything using burst fire that was 12km away or less, pure toxicity.

I am near permanently credits poor so I refuse to even be tempted by superships.

I wasn't last summer though, when I dropped 117M credits on 100k coal in the auction, and that was one the lowest winning bids IIRC.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

General Battuta posted:

COVID has some lingering symptoms which can include brain fog and various other cognitive deficits.

That makes more sense than my theory: a lot of warships players skew older than other games and so COVID was wiping out the competent old timers.

I'm only in ranked for the steel, and superships for the gimmicks.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Really struggling with the Italian DDs. I've yet to find myself in any scenario where I wouldn't rather be in any other nation's DD. And this is with the Cuniberti which I've read is a highlight of the line.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

It could be a very powerful DD if you have a division with a radar cruiser behind you, but team play to support that ship is non-existent.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’ve played the Italian dds fairly extensively. The thing to keep in mind is the primary gimmick they have (smoke, emergency speed boost) decreases in value as the ship tiers increase, because hydro ranges go up and radar becomes ubiquitous. At the same time, the SAP damage doesn’t scale nearly as well as the damage of other destroyer lines - it starts really, really high but doesn’t go up much.

Taken together you have a line of ships that are grossly overpowered at meaningless low tiers (3-5), great at tier 6 and 7, and then only okay to bad at 8+. Because at high tier you have a ton of really amazing gunboat dds that can and will beat the pants out of a Regollo in a straight up gunfight with competent play where the SAP gets angled against. If the ships didn’t also have really bad concealment it would be one thing but actually ambushing dds is quite difficult if you don’t have islands to play around.

Overall I think they’re certainly not overpowered, including the Cuniberti, but are good enough to use, I guess. I just don’t find them to be particularly fun to play, because the playstyle is so restrictive if you want to be effective.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Nah, not having the Italian DDs - they are utter gash. I'll finish grinding the CunTberti and then either wait for a buff to Adriatico or FXP it. This is the worst ship line in the game - the German DDs (Elbing line) probably held that title before or possibly the Pan-Asian but no longer.

I'll take a Kiev or Fanta all day any day over this oval office of a ship.

I have a feeling WG are trying to tone-down the tech-tree power levels to sell more Premiums tbh. Or at least they are deliberately introducing them under-cooked because its more palettable to buff them. But they got this one way, way off.

Edit: this is fine, really

No really, fine

I'm now one of those players who I used to think was a bot - charge into the nearest cap, hope to take an enemy DD, exit game, rinse and repeat for my first daily win bonus.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 26, 2022

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

kaesarsosei posted:

Edit: this is fine, really

No really, fine

I have no idea what that ship is but you aren't doing significantly worse in it than most of the other stuff on that screen, your win rate in one ship is almost never meaningful.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Apparently higher-tier Italian dds aren't good?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can't get wins with the Italian DDs. I can farm assloads of damage and basically lose.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Basically you need to get in people's faces to use them but when your entire team is 15km behind you your fuel smoke is useless except as an escape tool. The torp angles on them also are terrible for rushing Yolo moves.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

I play Alaska in ranked, if I push up with a Cuntyberty/Cunisomething? Then you can really melt faces as they smoke rush during your radar phase.

This assumes the following:
- They're good
- You're good
- Your team is good
- The enemy team is bad

Usually if a radar cruiser pushes with the DDs then you've won the game already, prioritise the Kitakaze and everyone has a good time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Are any of the AL ships fun? I'm kinda tempted to pick up the Yukikaze because that commander always cracks me up on Flamu's streams, but not so much that I'll pay 8000 doubloons for a turd of a ship.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Just saw it in the latest Jingles video. There's a replay vulnerability that allows you to insert and execute code. He said that someone had a replay that started your web browser, opened Youtube and and rick-rolled the user.
So it might as well start downloading and installing malware. Until this is fixed it best to only watch your own replays or none at all.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Are any of the AL ships fun? I'm kinda tempted to pick up the Yukikaze because that commander always cracks me up on Flamu's streams, but not so much that I'll pay 8000 doubloons for a turd of a ship.

Yukikaze is a carbon copy of Kagero but without access to torpedo reload booster and with only F3 torpedoes, the 8 km range 70 knot ones. I’m not remotely a weeb and don’t care about Azur Lane in the slightest, but it’s my most played ship. I just think it’s gimmick is entertaining and like playing a gunboat/F3 Kagero. It’s a bit less good these days because of the continued proliferation of long range radar that makes shorter range torps riskier but it’s an enjoyable ship.

Really the easy way to answer the question of whether to get it is to answer the question of whether you ever use F3s on your Yugumo or Shima. I use them all the time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

lagidnam posted:

Just saw it in the latest Jingles video. There's a replay vulnerability that allows you to insert and execute code. He said that someone had a replay that started your web browser, opened Youtube and and rick-rolled the user.
So it might as well start downloading and installing malware. Until this is fixed it best to only watch your own replays or none at all.

Yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25f07JPcl5U

You'll note that it's CCs and former CCs spreading the message, not a loving peep out of Wargaming when this kinda poo poo should be front and center on their websites and social media.

Velius posted:

Really the easy way to answer the question of whether to get it is to answer the question of whether you ever use F3s on your Yugumo or Shima. I use them all the time.

My highest Japanese TD is T6, I think. Or maybe T7. Generally like playing DDs though, just never got around to fully leveling any of the Japanese trees.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

My highest Japanese TD is

WoT player spotted :D

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Stanley Pain posted:

WoT player spotted :D

To my eternal shame :(

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

They really need to hire some native speakers to rewrite this google translate poo poo. And someone to proofread this poo poo because loving hell this devblog is drat unreadable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJxGQt-8lvk

New simplified and easier to understand system!

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I haven't even attemped to comprehend the camo rework. I'll wait for the TL;DR post on reddit. No doubt the average player will get shafted though.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

What are the say, top five premium ships to buy right now? I have the Atago and Leningrad and have my eye on the Molotov, Dunkerque, and Alabama. Are they worth it?

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Minenfeld! posted:

What are the say, top five premium ships to buy right now? I have the Atago and Leningrad and have my eye on the Molotov, Dunkerque, and Alabama. Are they worth it?

Cossack, Kidd, Weimar (for narai farming mostly but it's good), Chkalov (if you are a sex pest) and Roma would be my picks for non-coal dubloon ships. Not really worth spending $ on ships that can be available using FXP or coal, just play the game and you'll get them eventually. If you are including coal ships then Kearsarge is excellent.

Dunk is pretty boring, Molotov is good but tricky. Alabama is a wonderful ship but North Carolina with the newer buffed heal is pretty much an equal, maybe slightly better. You trade a little bit of sigma and heal to be a smaller and more nimble target.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

I wouldn't spend money on any of these. Most of the really strong premiums right now are available for steel or coal.

I also wouldn't buy any premiums below tier 7 because you just won't be spending much time down there.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

General Battuta posted:

I wouldn't spend money on any of these. Most of the really strong premiums right now are available for steel or coal.

I also wouldn't buy any premiums below tier 7 because you just won't be spending much time down there.

This is the right take, tier 7 premiums don’t make good money and rarely are things to spend your own cash on unless there’s a really strong gimmick you want. Those are the ones that get removed like Belfast.

Right now good premiums - Cossack is a really strong and probably overpowered dd (5.5 km concealment is nuts on a dd with guns that good) and British smoke. Atago you have and is solid, Eugen is probably solid too but unspectacular, Bayard I’ve heard good things about. Kidd is boring but good. Mainz is also solid but hard to play since it lacks a heal. Odin is probably fine, I know nothing about brandenberg but it might. E okay?

The tier 9s are overpriced for doubloons and mostly bad, the only ones I’d consider would be Gron but that’s available for 1m free xp.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

masterpine posted:

Cossack, Kidd, Weimar (for narai farming mostly but it's good), Chkalov (if you are a sex pest) and Roma would be my picks for non-coal dubloon ships.

It's worth noting that they are stealth nerfing the Roma's unique camo with the upcoming currency rework (as well as all other permacamos that currently give extra credits). So there goes the number one reason to play that bote.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I ended up with the Molotov and it's a lot of fun. I really don't enjoy the game above tier 8 so I tend to avoid that.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I see they have opened an auction for Musashi. I shudder to think what kind of bids the uber-whales are going to throw at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I got my Musashi back when it was the only free XP ship along with the Missouri, and it was definitely worth the grind. That thing's pretty nuts.

Also I'm not sure if the Yukikaze is good or bad, but I am definitely having fun with it. The captain is just so amazing. The weird "Hah hah haa!" soundbyte you keep getting is like nourishment for my soul.