Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
He/They means both are fine. Some people might also prefer if you mix it up, but that's not necessarily implied by just listing multiple pronouns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

killer_robot posted:

Bisexuals seem to have this bad rep with the people I know where both sides think they're odd sluts that need to pick a side. Het think they're just flirting with the other side and should settle down, and gays think they're trying not to be gay so they can't represent/solidarity/etc. How can you trust someone to have your back when they can just play with the opposing team?

To add to this, I don't know how prevalent the idea is anymore but I do know that there was a time when bisexuals who married someone of the opposite gender were accused of being straight people trying to gain LGBTQ+ cred or whatever. Especially before same-sex marriage was legalized federally, it was kind of an annoyed "How can you claim you're part of the same oppressed group as us when you've already married the person you love?" sentiment.

I'm not even sure what the people upset about it wanted. Should bisexuals only marry people of the same sex? Should they just never get married at all?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

To add to this, I don't know how prevalent the idea is anymore but I do know that there was a time when bisexuals who married someone of the opposite gender were accused of being straight people trying to gain LGBTQ+ cred or whatever. Especially before same-sex marriage was legalized federally, it was kind of an annoyed "How can you claim you're part of the same oppressed group as us when you've already married the person you love?" sentiment.

I'm not even sure what the people upset about it wanted. Should bisexuals only marry people of the same sex? Should they just never get married at all?

I mean, have you never heard a bisexual in a het marriage complain about how they're actually exactly extremely oppressed because people refuse to acknowledge their status as a persecuted minority and felt a terrible urge to kick them out of the LGBT movement??

(I'm taking the piss please no one get mad)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The common one that really weird me out is "how can you be in a monogamous relationship, you'll always want to cheat with the gender you aren't with"

like I dunno dude how do you manage to not cheat with other people of the same gender you're attracted to? I manage it the same way.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

The common one that really weird me out is "how can you be in a monogamous relationship, you'll always want to cheat with the gender you aren't with"

like I dunno dude how do you manage to not cheat with other people of the same gender you're attracted to? I manage it the same way.
I feel like it’s a sort of heteronormative focus on penis and vagina sex that otherizes non-hetero sex as a whole other thing.

The reality is for the population that has sex we’re all kind of doing similar stuff regardless of gender, gentials, and sexuality.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OwlFancier posted:

To be fair, there's a lot of toxic relationships (usually hetero, if I'm being honest) where either participant "can't have" friends of the gender they're attracted to.

It's mainly about insecurity and it's dumb as poo poo, but I see it disturbingly often.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh sure I know jealousy and infidelity are issues everyone can have, it's just specifically the idea that if you're bisexual you can never really be happy without access to all possible sets of genitalia that is a strange thing to leap to. As if the mechanism of the sex you have is the defining feature of your being.

I agree there is probably a link there with the bizzare obsession that conservatives have with the mechanism of gay sex though. And possibly the mechanism of transitioning too. Generally far too obsessed with other people's bodily functions IMO, very little interest in their thoughts or feelings.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Oh sure I know jealousy and infidelity are issues everyone can have, it's just specifically the idea that if you're bisexual you can never really be happy without access to all possible sets of genitalia that is a strange thing to leap to. As if the mechanism of the sex you have is the defining feature of your being.

I agree there is probably a link there with the bizzare obsession that conservatives have with the mechanism of gay sex though. And possibly the mechanism of transitioning too. Generally far too obsessed with other people's bodily functions IMO, very little interest in their thoughts or feelings.

You mean you aren't obligate polyamorous?

I just assume anyone who comes at me with that is thinking how they would cheat if the opportunity came up.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

OwlFancier posted:

It's not so much the mechanics of transitioning, but framing transness as being entirely about sex. Also, blaming trans people for the existence of gender stereotypes. There's two reasons people transition according to conservatives:

1. Being so gay that you transition so you can have sex with straight people.
2. Liking dresses or suits, and then getting hormones and surgery so you can be the gender that is allowed to wear them.

At least, those are the assumptions baked into the strange questions that get directed at me.

In terms of mechanics of transitioning, their conception of it is that you get "the surgery" (bottom surgery) and that's the beginning and end of it. And they really have trouble understanding that many trans people don't want or need it. They seem actively uninterested in knowing what the actual mechanics of someone's transition might be. I think maybe learning that would damage their notion of gender as essential and unchangeable, rather than a combination of a bunch of factors, most of which are easily changed.

Of course, that ignorance goes out the window when they want to talk about the effects of hormones as a danger to our young children who are getting transed. But, then the ignorance immediately re-emerges when they say there's no harm in trans people waiting until adulthood before starting to transition. It's quite a magical bit of whiplash to witness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was I suppose more thinking about the pearl clutching about younger people transitioning, or showing any indication of wanting to transition.

I was helpfully linked a youtube documentary done by Caelan Conrad a little while ago where they infiltrate online terf spaces and demonstrate all the hosed up poo poo they talk about and how they seem to think about trans people. It's very good I think, albeit difficult to watch because the subject matter is, of course, horrible. But it is full of these bizzare posts about people acting like they own their children, sometimes even their adult children, it's extremely loving weird and it's been simmering in my brain for a while.

Also may be being a little loose with language characterising them as "conservatives" but they seem pretty compatible with them honestly, for all that they like to imagine themselves as being on the right side of history, that is not remotely unusual with the right, and given they're basically in love with all the anti gay poo poo from 30 years ago as well, really seems like the pretense of being progressive is just PR combined with the general effect that the advance of LGBT rights has had on the culture. Much like with feminism and civil rights, it is now (generally) unacceptable to just say the target group of your ire is just flat out subhuman and needs to be kept in line, you instead generally try to phrase it by appealing to progressive language, like you're doing them a favour and actually your weird trad vision of the world is actually the true form of equality and the best thing for the group you detest. So as you note this leads to people who are, fundamentally, just right wing conservatives trying to appear very concerned about the youth of today and women's rights while promoting social structures and ideologies that are utterly hostile to their liberation. And they do this not just for PR reasons but because I think that the cultural shift has fundamentally changed the signifiers of virtue in society.

They need to dress it up in that language because doing that is an act of reification, making their own feeling that they are in the right, real. Same as with what I mentioned above with how people with platforms express themselves, they need to do it that way because doing it makes them feel like it's real. So to me, terfs are just conservatives who are partly trapped in a self-identity of progressivism. They need to feel like they are progressive despite the actual reality of what that means disgusting them. I think this is also why it appeals so much to a certain kind of "I was cool in the 90's" liberal, especially here in the UK. There are a lot of people who probably thought of themselves as progressive then and are quite attached to that identity but who do not, and possibly never did, really critically engage with what the various liberatory movements of the past few decades mean, why they exist, who they comprise, and why they have now reached the point they are at. And so now they are faced with things "going too far" as they understand it, and are trapped between wanting to seem hip and with it, but at their core being pretty deeply conservative when anyone threatens the societal norms they are attached to.

It is, I think, in a sense a demonstration of our success, that we have fundamentally colonised their brains a little bit, to the point that they need our language to make themselves feel like they're in the right. It may not be very deeply ingrained and it may not stop the need they have to be assholes from finding ways to express itself, but it does make me smile a little bit to see them doing that bit of mental contortion. It would be nice to think it hurts a little bit every time they do it.

But anyway, that sort of poo poo is why I jump to an obession with people's bodies, just utterly bizzare how some of these people talk about others, especially their own children some of the time. As opposed to the idea that your body is your business, you have to live in it and I can only interact with it on a surface level and only then if we are pretty drat familiar with one another. There's obviously the overt and unsurprising forms of it with cishets being weird about "oh no trans people existing means I might accidentally do a gay thing aaaaah" and that being an extension of a bunch of lovely ideas about feeling entitled to other people's bodies. But it also seems to manifest a lot between adults and children too, which IMO is very weird and creepy. And I feel like it also pervades more widely too, feels like there's little fungal filbers growing through that stuff and into things like as I said, the obsession with how gay people gently caress, as Timeless Appeal noted the separation of gay sex and hetero sex into fundamentally different categories. And eventually they're going to connect into a horrible mycellium of understanding and my brain is going to go crack ping at some point and sprout some dreadful mushroom of understanding.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 14, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, I lean on 'dude, the number of people of your preferred gender you have slept with isn't even a rounding error compared to the population, what keeps you from loving them?’

It seems like it's always dudes for some reason.

OwlFancier posted:

I was I suppose more thinking about the pearl clutching about younger people transitioning, or showing any indication of wanting to transition.

I was helpfully linked a youtube documentary done by Caelan Conrad a little while ago where they infiltrate online terf spaces and demonstrate all the hosed up poo poo they talk about and how they seem to think about trans people. It's very good I think, albeit difficult to watch because the subject matter is, of course, horrible. But it is full of these bizzare posts about people acting like they own their children, sometimes even their adult children, it's extremely loving weird and it's been simmering in my brain for a while.

The Venn diagram of TERF parents and narcissists isat best slightly oval.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 14, 2022

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I disagree, or at least I think it's more fundamental than what you put across. I think it's more a deep lack of imagination or introspection. (And the fact they're interested in "mechanisms" shows there's some curiosity there.) It's a kind of hot potato unhappiness with, "If you like X, but 90% of the world likes Y, how can you ever be happy?" or "If you 99% like X, but 1% like Y, why can't you just be happy and 'normal?'" Or, worse again, "If you've not tried X, how do you know Y is for you?"

It's kind of a weird eating criticism where sexuality is just being fussy over food. "How do you know you don't like beer if you've not tried every beer ever? Especially the beer I recommend to you." And the honest answer is, ye know what? I might actually like beer. If there was a perfect beer for me somewhere I would never discover it because I wasn't willing to taste 10,000 beers that taste like rear end. But as soon as you ask people, "Have you tried every penis there is?" And more, "Every person who's attached to that penis?" They'll just shrug their shoulders, at best. The idea that people and genitals and all this hot pot of what it means to be attracted to a person and love a person isn't so simple as, "I like men," and "I like women," absolutely fucks people up. It's the weird boner they got in college when they touched their friend's finger passing a joint. Literally just once, but it makes them think every so often, "Maybe not everything is so simple or straightforward as I believe?" Which is very upsetting.

The idea someone could be content with the enjoyment and love they do have is absolutely alien. Unhappiness is insidious. The idea someone could know their mind to say, "This is what I want and enjoy," to a vast swathe of humanity who are deeply unhappy is an horrific affront. And not even deeply unhappy, just people who have settled with a certain level of unhappiness they tolerate, and "Why can't you just accept Z% of misery?" Asking for something different or unknown to them that you know for certain will make you happier at best it makes you seem like a mad man/woman/person. Saying, "I know what I want," is the sign of some desperate hosed up poo poo. Especially when at least half the world is set up to deny people what they want.

To bring it back to bisexuality, "How can you be happy without Y?" And the answer is, simply, "Because I am happy with X." (And to bring it into trans ideas X & Y aren't so far apart when it comes to love for some people.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's probably right as well yeah, and I wonder if that also ties into the attitude I see a lot among the alpha bro and incel types where they view relationships as a hierarchy of posession, always wanting to own the most "desirable" people. And there is also a very strong current of normativity, the desire to project their concepts of value onto the entire world, to make them dominant among their peer group and to imagine that they are objective across all people by mentally excluding anybody who doesn't share them. Obviously seems very desparate to me to be trying to build such a convoluted, harmful, and unimaginative validation mechanism by such crude methods because you simply can't accept being vulnerable with other people.

Probably some comparison to consumerism there too. The idea that you can never just be happy with what you have and must always want something more is certainly an idea that pervades far outside of relationships.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Unfortunately, I'm not holding my breath on the Courts helping us out here.

You are, very fortunately, wrong, in this case.

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1525340012786630656

Don't understand why this couldn't have happened a week ago or earlier, but alas. And, there's no injunction against the forced outing by school teachers. So, it's still a horrible reality.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

CrazySalamander posted:

I have always used they/them occasionally to refer to people of any type. Example sentences:
"Oh, Mike? He's a good person. I gave them an Olive garden gift certificate for their birthday.
Oh, Mike? They're a good person. I gave him a Olive garden certificate for his birthday."

No one has ever complained about this, but I wonder if it is something I should try to avoid? I've never cared much about pronouns because for some reason people have always occasionally called me she/her even when I've had a full beard, but I understand that they are very important to other people and I don't want to hurt people.

This probably isn't doing much harm (particularly to most cis people) but I'd probably avoid this just to be safe when talking about a specific person whose pronouns you know that aren't "they". There are definitely people who this would hurt and there has been the occasional example of people doing this on purpose to be hurtful.

For example, the UK-based website and discussion forum Mumsnet, which has gained a reputation for its wildly transphobic "feminism" subforum. Eventually the wild unmoderated bigotry was garnering it some negative attention and threatening its cushy sponsorship deals, so it made some surface-level moderation decisions and stopped users directly misgendering trans people and calling them slurs. The users mostly responded by using slightly more polite language in their hateful screeds and calling trans women "they" to specifically avoid gendering them at all. (The admins also banned calling anyone "terf" and "cis" at the same time, because the reasonable userbase of their feminism board keeps insisting they are offensive slurs, and why would they be wrong about that.)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think that it is fair to call out discriminatory use of they/them. Something similar came up in the recent case of the American professor who eventually got a big settlement for refusing to correctly gender a student and was penalized. One of his compromises was to simply not refer to the student's gender or pronouns at all, but the issue is that as long as he is referring to other students by he or she, he's specifically targeting one specific student.

But I think having a generalized default gender neutral term is genuinely helpful in language, and they/them is the closest we have although it would probably be preferable if we could universally adapt a singular one.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like it’s a sort of heteronormative focus on penis and vagina sex that otherizes non-hetero sex as a whole other thing.

The reality is for the population that has sex we’re all kind of doing similar stuff regardless of gender, gentials, and sexuality.
I literally, on another a forum, saw some one assert, seemingly sincerely that Wynn (minecraft trans girl who got arrested in Tennessee) must be wearing a wig, because AMAB people can't grow their hair that long.
Maybe it *was* a dumb troll, but our society - by which I mean basically all human societies that exist or have existed - have or do essentialize gender. That men and women are just fundamentally different physically and mentally (pretty much still the dominant view in society, especially on the right) and, in that framework? The idea that someone who is AMAB could be a woman or vice versa is ridiculous, and must be a sign of delusion.

Of course, the true delusion is the idea that men and women are really actually much different at all. We're actually really similar, and basically every difference that does exist is a predictable and manipulable product of different sex hormone balances.
Really, "TERFs", "gender criticals", or whatever loving else they call themselves buy into traditional patriarchal gender norms 100%.

Dr. Stab posted:

You are, very fortunately, wrong, in this case.

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1525340012786630656

Don't understand why this couldn't have happened a week ago or earlier, but alas. And, there's no injunction against the forced outing by school teachers. So, it's still a horrible reality.
That was pleasantly surprising, yes, but, ultimately, the Courts will not save us. That much should be clear. I wouldn't even be willing to bet this decision survives very long.

Kurgarra Queen fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 15, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
On that note, the courts in Texas basically opened the door for parents to be investigated on the premise of helping transitioning their kids, but did question's Abbot's authority to turn child services into full on storm troopers to straight up kidnap trans kids.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

That was pleasantly surprising, yes, but, ultimately, the Courts will not save us. That much should be clear. I wouldn't even be willing to bet this decision survives very long.

The injunction buys time. The courts are very slow and it will be a long time before the appeals process is done. The arkansas case is still tied up in courts and is nowhere near done. Even if the supreme court upholds the law, getting that injunctive relief will have bought us years. It's not "problem solved" but it means the present crisis is deferred. It's a big difference, right now, for those kids on the ground. It means we can focus on beating the law and not raising money to get families out of Alabama.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The last 24 hours have actually provided a lot of news and some clues on how the big transgender battles are going to be going. It's a mix of good and bad so here are two things of note...

GOOD: Courts struck down an insane Tennessee Law that forced businesses that allowed trans and nonbinary people to use their correction restrooms to advertise as such. The law never really got off the ground after being shelved last year by a District Judge, but now is full on overturned on the basis of the First Amendment.

BAD: A Teacher potentially put a child's life in danger at worst and at best robbed them of being able to come out to their parents themselves by outing them in communication with the child's parents. The Kansas school district she was a part of penalized her, but a court declared this violated her first amendment right to not lie even though there are generally other safety protocols that require a teacher to conceal information from a parent (Naming other students involved in an incident, not disclosing information to a parent without current custody). It's a narrow decision as the court ruled she can't only contact a parent for the sole purpose of outing, but as we're going to see in the next situation, liberal interpretation of the First Amendment is turning into a bit of a bludgeon against trans people.

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Guavanaut posted:

Then you can point out that there is an epidemic of infant genital mutilation to force intersex children into one of two binary boxes, and it's been going on for decades, and that's a perfect example of a real world harm caused by viewing sex and gender as binaries, and is far far worse than anything caused by supporting a child to socially transition.

I think the issue of intersex medical intervention is a little more complicated than you're giving it credit for. Sometimes it's done for medical reasons, like increasing the likelihood of fertility, improving urinary, fecal and menstrual functions, or reducing the risk of cancer and infection. Orchiopexy, for example, is surgery for normalizing undescended testicles, which can technically be an intersex condition due to chromosomal abnormalities.

killer_robot posted:

Bisexuals seem to have this bad rep with the people I know where both sides think they're odd sluts that need to pick a side. Het think they're just flirting with the other side and should settle down, and gays think they're trying not to be gay so they can't represent/solidarity/etc. How can you trust someone to have your back when they can just play with the opposing team?

I haven't had to deal with this as much as some bis because I mostly get involved with men/people with dicks, but it's definitely something that happens and even though it's more impolite to talk about now it's still popular among the kind of people who're just really confident in their schemas of how people work and think.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
My experience of treatment of bisexual men in the gay male community was mostly "oh you're actually gay you're just shy and still half in the closet."

As if bisexual men were just cowardly gay men who were in denial and still clinging to a bit of their straight-ness.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

My experience of treatment of bisexual men in the gay male community was mostly "oh you're actually gay you're just shy and still half in the closet."

As if bisexual men were just cowardly gay men who were in denial and still clinging to a bit of their straight-ness.

And this is why I have not, and will not, celebrate Pride. It was bad enough growing up here convinced that I was some sort of condemned, Frankensteinian abomination ( Bible-belt, '80s ), and then finally hoping that I'd find some allies and people who'd understand, only to be told "Oh, no, you don't exist" by them.

Why yes, I am bitter.

e: To be clear, I think Pride is a very important thing, and that it's worth celebrating, but my personal experiences has left me on the outside of it.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 22, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I am sure that Bill Maher has no love here, but he dropped the mask and gone full terf after hosting people like Peterson and Shapiro.

Highlights:

--Mocks the ACLU for listing LGBTQIA+ people as being listed as being disproportionately affected by the Supreme Court's potential ruling against Roe, implying that this isn't about queer people. As a trans parents with a pansexual wife, bullshit. Also note that extreme fetal life advocates could possibly make IVF more difficult down the road.

--He then claims we are experimenting on children

--He correctly claims that Finland and Sweden have changed their recommendations for adolescent trans care from the Dutch Method, but both decisions are rooted in questionable concerns of Rapid Onset Gender Dysphasia, a non-recognized condition that is rooted in an incredibly flawed study in which the researched parents through anti-trans websites

--Seems to falsely imply puberty blockers impact fertility which I believe is him compounding puberty blockers with hormone therapy

--Champions Irreversible Damage, a TERF book that pushes the idea of Rapid Onset Gender Dysphoria with little citation, backup, and also makes the same mistake as the original study by relying heavily on interviews with parents.

--Then mocks the NYC Pride Parade for having a trans male Grand Marshal and for not having a gay male marshal.

--Falsely implies that genital surgery is regularly being recommended for children. Most guidance pushes 17 and 18 to be the earliest that bottom surgery should be considered along with estrogen and testosterone not being administered until 14 and 15 and even then with a lot of caveats.

To be clear, as an educator and someone who works with queer youth, I absolutely want more research, debate, and clear guidance on how to support our queer, trans, and questioning children. But Maher here is laking Ben Shapiro talking points--he literally steals a Ben Shapiro joke which should make you want to quit comedy in shame--for Liberals which is the reason that this clip scares me so much. I don't think this thread should be for example dunking on every time JK Rowling says something stupid, but this feels different to me. While Rowling is a liberal who is a transphobe, I think the fact that being a transphobe is now like her full time job makes her seem weird to even people who agree with her. Maher on the other hand, I believe does speak to a mainstream Moderate-Liberal audience and is a known political commentator.

Maher is mainstreaming an incredibly flawed, poorly research, and dishonest book along with the underlying belief in ROGD that has no support from the medical and psychiatric community, and is then doing the same exact goal shifting Shapiro has done for the better part of a decade--frame the debate as one side being unthoughtful and unscientific while you perpetrate untruths.

Also, the clip is ten minutes long, and just keep in mind that statistically according to the Trevor Project, ten queer kids will have attempted suicide during the duration of that video.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 23, 2022

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

TLM3101 posted:

And this is why I have not, and will not, celebrate Pride. It was bad enough growing up here convinced that I was some sort of condemned, Frankensteinian abomination ( Bible-belt, '80s ), and then finally hoping that I'd find some allies and people who'd understand, only to be told "Oh, no, you don't exist" by them.

Why yes, I am bitter.

e: To be clear, I think Pride is a very important thing, and that it's worth celebrating, but my personal experiences has left me on the outside of it.

I grew up thinking that everybody was bi and that's why there were rules in the church about it. It didn't help the misconception when they brought in married people (as in married someone of the opposite sex) who talked about how hard it is to resist gay temptations. I just assumed that non-religious folks who stuck to dating the opposite sex were just being culturally conformist. When I discovered that the local LGBT groups disapproved of bi people it threw me for a bit of a loop, and I've felt annoyed at the church, straight people and official LGBT groups since then.

Hello fellow outsider!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Timeless Appeal posted:

--Mocks the ACLU for listing LGBTQIA+ people as being listed as being disproportionately affected by the Supreme Court's potential ruling against Roe, implying that this isn't about queer people. As a trans parents with a pansexual wife, bullshit.

Definitely. At least for me, if the local abortion clinic shut down, I wouldn't have access to my hormones. And I've seen it happen in other places. There's often only one doctor in town who's willing to do either, and without being able to provide abortions, trans people just aren't a big enough patient base to keep the clinic running.

In the US, I'd have to imagine this would lead directly to closings of planned parenthood locations, which would have a huge impact on a large number of trans people plus all the queer people who need reproductive healthcare and safe sex resources.

And, beyond the triggered abortion bans, Roe is about the extent of medical privacy, and that will lead to more erosion of access to medical care for queer people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Fritz the Horse posted:

Yep, heard that line before.

Weirdly coupled with being hit on after telling someone I was in a relationship because they assumed bi meant 'incapable of sticking to a single partner'.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep, heard that line before.

Weirdly coupled with being hit on after telling someone I was in a relationship because they assumed bi meant 'incapable of sticking to a single partner'.
Hearing all this is weird to me, but maybe that's because I have a lot of people who identify as bi or pan in my life (including the woman I'm dating, who is bi. She also happens to be the single most affirming person in my life right now) and they seem to have normal relationships. I don't understand why people are so weird about it.
But then, I guess people are weird about things outside of their own experience in general. Sometimes even when they're themselves oppressed, unfortunately.

Dr. Stab posted:

Definitely. At least for me, if the local abortion clinic shut down, I wouldn't have access to my hormones. And I've seen it happen in other places. There's often only one doctor in town who's willing to do either, and without being able to provide abortions, trans people just aren't a big enough patient base to keep the clinic running.

In the US, I'd have to imagine this would lead directly to closings of planned parenthood locations, which would have a huge impact on a large number of trans people plus all the queer people who need reproductive healthcare and safe sex resources.

And, beyond the triggered abortion bans, Roe is about the extent of medical privacy, and that will lead to more erosion of access to medical care for queer people.
Yeah, Planned Parenthood is the only safe option for trans people in many parts of this hell we call a country, I would imagine. I mean, I guess there are online pharmacies, but those tend to be expensive.
And overturning Roe is probably an attack on privacy in general, not just medical privacy.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I don’t think Maher, Shapiro, Peterson are properly labeled as TERFs. There’s not a lot of RF in their politics. They’re just boring regular transphobes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That also seems to be true of a lot of terfs, though. Or GCs or whatever they're calling themselves nowadays. It is not a position that people seem to arrive at through an abundance of sociohistorical awareness or empathy for other people.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

TERF at this point has morphed into "anti trans but nominally left wing/liberal/centrist". I wouldn't say it applies to Peterson or Shapiro but Maher is a guy who portrays himself as seeing through conservative bullshit.

Maher is weird because he's been around forever but I've never seen a genuine fan of his, even online. He's mostly just known for being the most annoying man in the world

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

oh god oh gently caress posted:

TERF at this point has morphed into "anti trans but nominally left wing/liberal/centrist". I wouldn't say it applies to Peterson or Shapiro but Maher is a guy who portrays himself as seeing through conservative bullshit.

Maher is weird because he's been around forever but I've never seen a genuine fan of his, even online. He's mostly just known for being the most annoying man in the world

His fans are offline boomers. My dad loves him.

Also, like, what conservative bullshit does he see through when all of his positions are conservative? His thing is mostly just saying poo poo like "Hey, I'm a liberal, and even I can see that arabs are less deserving of life than white people."

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I mean nominally with a capital N

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think in this specific video, he’s coating his transphobia with concern about women and gays which is what made it feel TERFish to me. Irreversible Damage also portrays a specific strain of TERF thinking which is that our general misogyny as a society is driving young girls to hate themselves and become trans in a desperate need to find an in group.

The fact that he loops around to also sounding like Peterson or Shapiro is a feature not a bug of TERF logic.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
it's a murky distinction nowadays as many transphobes will use TERF arguments and talking points because they're useful and they make it sound like they care about women, regardless of if they actually know the first thing about radical feminism of any variety

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Angepain posted:

it's a murky distinction nowadays as many transphobes will use TERF arguments and talking points because they're useful and they make it sound like they care about women, regardless of if they actually know the first thing about radical feminism of any variety

Even the modern "GC" movement doesn't really care about radical feminism. They only do transphobia. I guess the difference is that they believe that their transphobia is feminism, but they don't really engage with any feminist issues except to wield them against trans people. And, transphobia overrides any other feminist issues. The gnc cis women they harass in bathrooms are seen as acceptable casualties in the pursuit of harassing trans people.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

TLM3101 posted:

Why yes, I am bitter.

Due to having no sexual preference for men or for women I thought I was bi for my entire life up until Jan. 2020 when I learned that actually, I am functionally the opposite, I am ace (and I am also forever grateful to Julias and to you, Liquid Communism! for telling me that this is an orientation that is real and exists). Unfortunately this means I am twice-over excluded from the greater LGBTQ community :hellyeah:

I have a bunch of ace-colored pins and stickers that make me happy but a common thread between being bi and being ace is not being comfortable going out and joining pride festivities, rip.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 23, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Due to having no sexual preference for men or for women I thought I was bi for my entire life up until Jan. 2020 when I learned that actually, I am functionally the opposite, I am ace (and I am also forever grateful to Julias and to you, Liquid Communism! for telling me that this is an orientation that is real and exists). Unfortunately this means I am twice-over excluded from the greater LGBTQ community :hellyeah:

I have a bunch of ace-colored pins and stickers that make me happy but a common thread between being bi and being ace is not being comfortable going out and joining pride festivities, rip.
If it's any consolation, I do think there really are big shifts happening in the upcoming queer generations. The more statistically obvious is that trans folks are much more prevalent along with bi or pan people being the vast majority of LGTBIA youth.

But one thing that I am seeing anecdotally--although there is some research to back it up--is a parallel acceptance of neurodivergent people is also happening. It's obviously slow, and we've seen it weaponized, but the fact that we're accepting that cis girls can be autistic at similar rates to their peers is huge, and I think it's easier for people to not feel alone. While trends don't speak to individual experiences, there definitely is a higher prevalence of autism in both ace and trans community. And I feel like we are going to see the community really led by people who feel very different thank exclusionists like Dan Savage. Even if I had been comfortable with my gender, I think I would have been afraid to do a Pride group when I was in school. It was a lot of richer and kinda catty kids. Right now, the GSA I sponsor in my school is all just goofy and welcoming dorks who want to draw anime characters.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Bill Mahur has always been a poo poo heel, this is not new. Its just that he found a new low.

Remember, this is the guy who invited Milo onto his show and then took credit after the conservative establishment gave him the boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

Right now, the GSA I sponsor in my school is all just goofy and welcoming dorks who want to draw anime characters.

Yeah same, the young ones really seem anti-gatekeeping (good) and mostly just want a confirmed safe place to hang and be a weird kid (also good).