Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

guy wasn't actually hanging dong, movie ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Mantis42 posted:

guy wasn't actually hanging dong, movie ruined.

My immersion!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm almost positive I did not see any hanging dong in the movie. Did I somehow see a censored version?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'm almost positive I did not see any hanging dong in the movie. Did I somehow see a censored version?
During the buttplug fight scene there's like, a quick shot where his blur-censored dong flops into view I think

I really love that I can write that sentence about a Good Movie

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the junkal region is censored the whole fight, although there were a few tantalizingly high kicks shot face-on.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's wild how good the big dude is at doing high kicks

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I can't wait to buy this movie and watch it at home constantly

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Consummate Professional posted:

I can't wait to buy this movie and watch it at home constantly

Yes agreed. Just lots of fun.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just watched this movie going in (mostly) blind. I absolutely loved it. What a unique and beautiful movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What are the chances that a movie with floppy Dong and buttplugs will finally win best picture

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zero, but we can dream

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

He's blurred in the movie, in the bts you can see he was wearing a flesh colored thing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cephas posted:

very big ugly cry movie for me. had to keep it together near the end because there were some teenagers sitting next to me laughing at the hot dog fingers and raccoon and I was just biting down on my lip trying not to sob as the asian immigrant mom apologizes for mistreating her queer daughter. I thought the rock + cliff imagery and family pulling Joy out of the black hole were very deeply affecting film imagery.

here's my buddhist view of this movie
I've been reading the korean zen buddhist book Dropping Ashes on the Buddha. The author, the monk Seung Sahn, says that there are five steps to enlightenment, like going around the four quadrants of a circle and returning at last to the original point.

0 degrees is attachment to name and form. "This is the area of thinking and attachment. Thinking is desire, desire is suffering. All things are separated into opposites: good and bad, beautiful and ugly, mine and yours. I like this; I don't like that. I try to get happiness and avoid suffering. So life here is suffering, and suffering is life."

90 degrees is attachment to thinking. "Before you were born, you were zero; now you are one; in the future, you will die and again become zero. So zero equals one, one equals zero. All things here are the same, because they are of the same substance. All things have name and form, but their names and forms come from emptiness and will return to emptiness."

180 degrees is the experience of true emptiness. "So there are no mountains, no rivers, no God, no Buddha, nothing at all."

270 degrees is the area of magic and miracles. "Here, there is complete freedom, with no hindrance in space or time. This is called live thinking. I can change my body into a snake's. I can ride a cloud to the Western Heaven. I can walk on water. If I want life, I have life; if I want death, I have death. In this area, a statue can cry; the ground is not dark or light; the tree has no roots; the valley has no echo. If you stay at 180 degrees, you become attached to emptiness. If you stay at 270 degrees, you become attached to freedom."

360 degrees returns back to the world of name and form. "All things are just as they are; the truth is just like this. 'Like this' means that there is no attachment to anything. This point is exactly the same as the zero point: we arrive where we began, where we have always been. The difference is that zero degrees is attachment to thinking, while 360 degrees is no-attachment thinking."

i think the movie more or less operates within the parameters of these ideas.

-Evelyn begins the movie with attachment to name and form. "Being a laundromat owner is bad. Being a movie star would be good."
-Alpha Waymond introduces Evelyn to attachment to thinking. "You aren't just a laundromat owner. You could be a movie star, or a kung fu master, or a chef, or a singer. If things had just gone a little different, if you had just put your shoes on backward, or chewed gum at just this moment...."
-The barren world of the two rocks on a cliff is true emptiness. The world is devoid of solid meaning. So it might as well be uninhabited.
-Jobu Tupaki Joy's experience of reality, and the experience that Evelyn eventually gains, is attachment to freedom. If the world is devoid of meaning, then there's no reason it has to be the way it is now. Now we are humans, now we are pinatas, now we are children's drawings. What if I am lesbian with hot dog fingers? What if raccoons can control people by pulling their hair? The world we currently live in is just as arbitrary, meaningless, and stupid as any of these alternatives, so it is equally as true as all of them.
-Waymond and eventually Evelyn with her third eye opened return back to the world of name and form. Doing laundry and filing taxes. Evelyn realizes that "the potential to be anyone" includes the potential to be the person I am right here and now. I am here with my hot dog fingers wife: I will love her. I am here with my coworker who wants his raccoon back: I will let him ride me. I am here with my family in a mediocre American laundromat: I will be good to them.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It's wild how good the big dude is at doing high kicks

the dude can straight up do the splits, him and his brother either have really good genes or trained their rear end off their whole lives for this poo poo

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/AJBurlap/status/1526784853831712768?t=a1RdEfPJR6t8rDYFgqHCzg&s=19

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I really liked this movie, thread.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/Borahaesage/status/1518237272964882434

really, the cinema screen is just another giant googly eye

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Finally got around to this now that it hit home video / streaming and ... yeah the hype wasn't wrong. The line from ke huy quan: "You think because l'm kind that it means I'm naive, and maybe I am. It's strategic and necessary. This is how I fight." fuckin floored me.

Man comes back after decades of not acting and then absolutely crushes it like the world's cheapest beer can.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Every single member of the main cast acted the hell out of this movie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I thought this was excellent and I think it'll probably improve a bit when I watch it again. But this hit less hard for me than Swiss Army Man. It feels crazy saying this about such a batshit movie but it felt like I was watching stuff that had been done before. I don't mind a conventional story but it hits less hard when you can basically tell what the entire emotional plot of the movie is going to be once you've watched the first five minutes.

Swiss Army Man, meanwhile, hits the same saccharine notes but it also keeps you on your toes emotionally speaking by leaving some stuff up in the air, which lets it gut punch you in the end.

Again, I really liked this movie, but it's just the wacky existentialist kung fu sci-fi version of the mom's story from Turning Red which I saw not too long ago. I hope Ke Huy Quan is back and that Stephanie Hsu is in way more stuff - everyone in this movie was fantastic but those two really stood out.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

even more frames of that multiverse montage:

https://twitter.com/myvillaneve/status/1527989846303723521

https://twitter.com/jbcabret/status/1528447569554452480

https://twitter.com/grhmbrdck/status/1528504638101659655

https://twitter.com/Leo_Borg/status/1528459230532993026

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
EEA@1 set to become A24’s biggest movie
after this weekend it will have made more than Uncut Gems, poo poo is doing crazy good, and the word of mouth is doing excellent for the momentum!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

EEA@1 set to become A24’s biggest movie
after this weekend it will have made more than Uncut Gems, poo poo is doing crazy good, and the word of mouth is doing excellent for the momentum!

I can't decide if I like that acronym or if I hate it and will push for EEAAO forever.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

E2A2O

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

What are the chances that a movie with floppy Dong and buttplugs will finally win best picture

The buttplug fight scene needs to be the clip they submit for the presentation.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

What a weird droid name

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

And on that farm there was a pig.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Interesting thing is how many universes she turns into some sort of religious recluse. All that stuff about turning away from family and friends based on weighty considerations....really did apply to Evelyn as well

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I enjoy that two of them are in pandemics

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i did not think this was anything special. definitely an improvement over swiss army man which was execrable from start to finish, but the good ideas in here were weakened by the repetition and the unerring winkiness of the whole enterprise. we got three separate but nearly identical montages giving us three instances of catharsis when one would have been much more effective. obvious similarities to turning red as a story of intergenerational relationships among asian diaspora groups but just as with that movie it's not explored in any meaningful way aside from strict parents learning to love their children in a more cinematically satisfying fashion.

a more interesting question to me is what are the motivating factors? what drives one generation to remain connected to their motherland while the next does everything they can to assimilate? why is it always incumbent upon the older generations to overcome their ways of thinking and never the younger ones to try to understand why their parents are the way they are? this doesn't mean just accepting outright bigotry or abuse obviously but there's never any give and take, which makes these sorts of stories ring hollow. like people seem to intuitively understand why jews foster tight-knit communities — among other things, it's a means of survival in a world that has on many occasions attempted to exterminate them — but don't think about that context when it comes to say, chinese immigrants, even though there's a clear history of oppression there too.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Couple of cool vids with Michelle Yeoh linked from the RLM thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHOSiFzcHJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_WDjqR7fVM

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Elden Ring is especially funnier after watching this movie

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh is that the attack buffing skill?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

a more interesting question to me is what are the motivating factors? what drives one generation to remain connected to their motherland while the next does everything they can to assimilate? why is it always incumbent upon the older generations to overcome their ways of thinking and never the younger ones to try to understand why their parents are the way they are?

I want to pick this part out because I don't think it's quite an accurate read of what the movie presents us with. To start, Evelyn pointedly [i]isn't[/t] connected with the motherland. She ditched her father to run away with Waymond and, if I remember correctly, this is their first time seeing Gong Gong since then. Part of Evelyn's character arc, in fact, is confronting her father. (This of course doesn't work very well—it further drives joy away—because the main journey Evelyn has to make isn't one of cultural reconciliation.)

I also don't think the conflict between Evelyn and Joy is over assimilation. Evelyn thinks it is at the start, but she's pointedly mistaken. "Are you still hung up on the fact that I like girls in this universe?" The threat that's alienating Joy, rather than a clash of cultures, is the ambition and the need to climb the ladders of success. This doesn't come from failing to understand Evelyn. In fact, I think it comes from understanding Evelyn very well.

I mentioned earlier that this is why we get the everything bagel/nihilism as representing the bad outcomes: they represent the threat that all of this ladder climbing amounts to nothing. All of the prestige and even wealth of success doesn't matter. Now, that dynamic is definitely typical of immigrant families, "wrong kind of doctor" and all that, but it also seems pointedly different from the question of cultural connectedness to the old country.

It's a story of Chinese immigrants like Turning Red, and it's very thoroughly a story about immigrants. But I don't think it's a story of cultural conflict or incommensurability. Rather, it's a story about the conflicts that remain after any cultural questions have been settled.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think this is their first time seeing Evelyn's dad since she left with him, Joy and him know each other and he comments that her Chinese is getting worse every time he sees her.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah and they don’t pick him up from the airport, he just goes to their house, I thought he lived in America now that he is very old and in a wheelchair because Evelyn is his only family left

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah and they don’t pick him up from the airport, he just goes to their house, I thought he lived in America now that he is very old and in a wheelchair because Evelyn is his only family left
No, he definitely flew. Joy asks him how his airplane was, which prompts him to say her Chinese is getting worse all the time. At the beginning of the movie I think he's asleep, having come in last night or whatever.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ah, well, nevertheless.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Agreed with the ambition point. Notably we see only one mega successful version of Evelyn. Maybe two if you want to count the brief portion of her as a singer. But it’s mainly her as laundromat owner, sign spinner, teppanyaki chef, hot dog hands, vs successful movie star. All of these are shown to be useful and portrayed with respect.

Waymond makes the ambition point very clearly of course when as a ceo he states he wishes for simple family life vs his success. But Evelyn and Joy have the same moment. Joy points out that Evelyn can now be any one, including the movie star, but Evelyn states that she just wants to be there with joy. Their conflict ends then as Evelyn makes her choice.

An interesting parallel is why Waymond and Evelyn chose to leave China and go to America. There’s some lines about how they can make their own success, so they left for ambition then. But the question then is if she and Waymond had stayed in China could she and her dad been happy too? Evelyn chides Joy at the end for also not trying enough in their relationship (rarely visits, never calls). And Evelyn has to remember to be affectionate with Waymond also. So there is an idea that love needs help from all. But then the what ifs are answered by the nature of the multiverse. Evelyn has the life she has and must make the most of it.

Correcting my terrible name mistakes.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

checkplease posted:

Edmond Edmund Edmund Edmund

Pardon?