Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Can you win a Conn Smythe if you're potentially not in the Final? Asking for a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Yeah, that guy is a good hockey player.

Feel grateful that I cannot dislike him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

shyduck posted:

Can you win a Conn Smythe if you're potentially not in the Final? Asking for a friend

I think you can get one if you lose, and frankly if McDavid keeps this up I'm not gonna red X against him if he's facing the Avs.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Eric the Mauve posted:

The biggest thing standing in the Rangers' way right now is zbad's long and untradeable contract. He's a good player but as we've seen with him mostly absent in the playoffs, they have enough good forwards to win without him, and he takes up so much cap space that they're about to really need.

I was not alone in saying a couple years ago that the Rangers needed to pay one of Kreider/Zbad and move the other and would regret it if they paid both. And they will.

He has more points than anyone except the last three league MVPs.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1528564010471378949?s=21&t=JLNs2NX-GLzHq84CrovnUg

Lucic absolutely hammered him, but Smith has his back turned when he takes the puck behind the net and fakes a pass before reversing it up the boards. People gave Girard poo poo for putting himself in a bad spot, but Mike Smith has to be more aware if he’s going to play the puck as often as he does

Either way, open season on goalies this playoffs

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

We're putting Jack Johnson in?! What the gently caress! Macdiermid is right there, at least if he botches on the defense it was because he was trying to kill a motherfucker

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Go lightning.

Really not anything to say.maybe lol EL BROMANCE? sure. Sorry bud. But lol.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Aces High posted:

We're putting Jack Johnson in?! What the gently caress! Macdiermid is right there, at least if he botches on the defense it was because he was trying to kill a motherfucker

Jared Bednar is a very stupid man

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The one that says the Canes had 37 chances to New York's 17. Along with 17 to 8 on high dangers.

Yeah definitely no mitigating factors to the Pens losing. Definitely the unsustainable system. Gerrard is that you?

Spoke to Gerard and he has a message for you, rex. I shot a video. Here it is

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1528500246120218625

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Spoke to Gerard and he has a message for you, rex. I shot a video. Here it is

he's in new york, can he drop in on the yankees and shout this at josh donaldson too

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
drat the Oilers rule

McDavid scoring like prime Lemieux, Mike Smith coming back out of protocol like Mick Foley after he got tossed off the cell

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Wonderllama posted:

Go lightning.

Really not anything to say.maybe lol EL BROMANCE? sure. Sorry bud. But lol.

gently caress you

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Igor Shesterkin is loving bullshit cheat mode poo poo and I hate him

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1528564010471378949?s=21&t=JLNs2NX-GLzHq84CrovnUg

Lucic absolutely hammered him, but Smith has his back turned when he takes the puck behind the net and fakes a pass before reversing it up the boards. People gave Girard poo poo for putting himself in a bad spot, but Mike Smith has to be more aware if he’s going to play the puck as often as he does

He should be able to assume he’s safe, because he’s supposed to be.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The one that says the Canes had 37 chances to New York's 17. Along with 17 to 8 on high dangers.

Yeah definitely no mitigating factors to the Pens losing. Definitely the unsustainable system. Gerrard is that you?

chances schmances. the Rangers had the more dangerous ones, and I'd rather trade high danger chances with our shooters/goalie than play some snoozer.

but also: xGF had the Rangers ahead in periods 1 and 3 and at 50-50 overall at EV counting the second.

The Dirty Burger posted:

I mean, if we're going by the way it's called/the way the game is played, Lucic can't do that. I don't think taking the puck behind the net or faking a pass is putting himself in a bad situation, it's doing that poo poo up 4-0 in a Battle of Alberta game when Lucic is on the ice. he's gotta know to take that play off rather than making some theoretical optimal play.

the standard is a lot higher on goalies that defenders going back for a puck, but still, Smith should know not to do that. I think a 5 and an ejection at that point is appropriate to calm the game down. I can't imagine there will be any suspension. Lucic knows what he's doing. getting tossed there doesn't matter, but it could really rattle Smith/the Oilers if he was able to really hurt him. smart play to not make it too obvious.

Aphrodite posted:

He should be able to assume he’s safe, because he’s supposed to be.

this is so quaintly naive :allears:

Matt Zerella posted:

Carolina being dirty little piss babies at the end of that game.

The Athletic posted:

Gallant appeared to yell “Grow the gently caress up!” at DeAngelo and follow that with “Bunch of loving yappers.” The Rangers coach didn’t shy away from discussing the whole incident afterward.

“I wasn’t happy with the bullshit at the end of the game that they initiated,” he said. “We didn’t do that when the games were close. They put their guys on, that’s fine. If they want to do that, we’ve got the guys that can match up … I don’t like it at the end of the game. The game’s over. We’ve still got four games to go with those guys. They’re not sending any message. We’ve got the guys that can handle those guys if we want to and we didn’t do it like that. Domi took a cheap shot at our defenseman. You got a lot of memory in this, you think about things. Might be on the other foot someday.”

I don't really like that from Gallant. (torts voice) I am not in the battle. He is not in the battle. Shut your yap. I don't think coaches should get involved with opposing players. if he's gonna mix it up, pull a Patrick Roy and go after Rod. that said, I love the outright threat in the media. give me all of that you got

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 23, 2022

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I posted this in the offseason thread last week, but I've worked on it some more and polished it up since then, and I want to share and show off this thing.

Scoreboard Watching

For when you miss a game, or part of a game, and you want to catch up on the results, but want a little more suspense than just checking the score would provide. It loads the actual play by play data from the NHL API and replays the game on a virtual scoreboard and ice rink. 100% spoiler free.

Ok thanks.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

heehee posted:

gently caress you

I feel this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fisting by many posted:

I posted this in the offseason thread last week, but I've worked on it some more and polished it up since then, and I want to share and show off this thing.

Scoreboard Watching

For when you miss a game, or part of a game, and you want to catch up on the results, but want a little more suspense than just checking the score would provide. It loads the actual play by play data from the NHL API and replays the game on a virtual scoreboard and ice rink. 100% spoiler free.

Ok thanks.

yoooooo this is loving awesome

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

Scoreboard Watching

Ok thanks.

This is terrific and really highlights where the wheels started to come off for the Flames in the first before any of the goals the way a highlight package absolutely cannot.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I mean, if we're going by the way it's called/the way the game is played, Lucic can't do that. I don't think taking the puck behind the net or faking a pass is putting himself in a bad situation, it's doing that poo poo up 4-0 in a Battle of Alberta game when Lucic is on the ice. he's gotta know to take that play off rather than making some theoretical optimal play.

Are you saying that playing hockey at all, simply because Lucic is on the ice when you are up 4-0, is by definition "putting yourself in a bad situation"? That's kind of hosed.

What kind of play for a puck behind the net do you think is safe for a goalie to perform when Lucic is on the ice?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 23, 2022

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

chances schmances. the Rangers had the more dangerous ones, and I'd rather trade high danger chances with our shooters/goalie than play some snoozer.

but also: xGF had the Rangers ahead in periods 1 and 3 and at 50-50 overall at EV counting the second.

the standard is a lot higher on goalies that defenders going back for a puck, but still, Smith should know not to do that. I think a 5 and an ejection at that point is appropriate to calm the game down. I can't imagine there will be any suspension. Lucic knows what he's doing. getting tossed there doesn't matter, but it could really rattle Smith/the Oilers if he was able to really hurt him. smart play to not make it too obvious.

this is so quaintly naive :allears:

I don't really like that from Gallant. (torts voice) I am not in the battle. He is not in the battle. Shut your yap. I don't think coaches should get involved with opposing players. if he's gonna mix it up, pull a Patrick Roy and go after Rod. that said, I love the outright threat in the media. give me all of that you got

If a player is gonna get into it with a coach too then they’re fair game IMO

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

The Dirty Burger posted:

People gave Girard poo poo for getting boarded because they are morons. This also applies to those who say it's a goalie's fault when he gets decked in the trapezoid.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Actually it's cool and good for a goalie to get decked in the crease, as long as the guy decking him makes it look like an accident.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

You can't hit the goalie

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

fisting by many posted:

Scoreboard Watching

Ok thanks.

This is awesome

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Wonderllama posted:

Oh thanks. I am laughing at you. You should see my face. It’s full of laughter. Thanks.

Looks like you'll get the last laugh, too.

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1528747387090612227

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Kerfoot got two games for that exact play a few years back, which in playoff terms is apparently one game. The NHL is definitely getting worse at this stuff

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Wait didn’t they change the ruling in game from boarding to cross checking? And now it’s boarding again?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Eric the Mauve posted:

You're not allowed to run through the goalie. Every skater is responsible to not contact the goalie in the crease, it doesn't matter where the puck is at the time.

Kadri absolutely turned himself in such a way as to ensure he hit Binnington. It blows my mind that people who aren't Avs fans could possibly think otherwise. Even apart from his track record.

Running goalies is excellent strategy since it is never punished by anything more than a minor, and usually not even that, and goalies are easy to injure with how much they contort themselves and how much weight they're carrying while they do it.

Jordan Binnington is comically immature and all the LOLs at the Blues for giving him a megacontract he wasn't worth on the best day of his life. Switching him out for Husso doesn't really change their fortunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA-hc_1u3oM

Kadri's line was going well wide of Binnington until the contact with Rosen. Seems pretty clear Kadri wasn't in control of where he landed and slid after bouncing off Rosen and falling down.

If Kadri went into Binnington like this "unassisted", then yeah, throw him out of the league. But it doesn't even look questionable that it was an accident.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DOPS doesn't have to review the play as it was called on the ice.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

yoooooo this is loving awesome

Quoting because I needed this in my life. Thanks for sharing!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

fisting by many posted:

Scoreboard Watching

Ok thanks.

This rules. EDM/CAL game 1 is hilarious.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This rules. EDM/CAL game 1 is hilarious.
Bahahaha it throws little hats on the ice when a hat trick happens

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

fisting by many posted:

Scoreboard Watching

Ok thanks.

This is amazing.

Albino Squirrel posted:

It’s awesome :allears:

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

th3t00t posted:

Kadri's line was going well wide of Binnington until the contact with Rosen. Seems pretty clear Kadri wasn't in control of where he landed and slid after bouncing off Rosen and falling down.

If Kadri went into Binnington like this "unassisted", then yeah, throw him out of the league. But it doesn't even look questionable that it was an accident.

There's a lot of gray area in the rule where the ref has to make a judgement about whether a player was actually pushed into the goalie, or used the push as an excuse to run the goalie. To me the play looks all the world like the latter. But I think they blew the same call in the other direction in game 2 where Nichushkin was forced into the goalie by the defender.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

oh my god that's amazing lmao

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

good hockey pay imo

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

th3t00t posted:

I'll be the first to admit I was skeptical of Kadri going for the goalie until I saw this view of it. I'm an Avs fan but don't like any player getting hurt and I agree that Kadri'd reputation means I scrutinize his play more but I can't blame him for this one. I did find a terrible Facebook post from a friend of mine who's a big homer for the Blue.

Blues fan on Facebook posted:

Driver sees his brother has fallen in the road, slams on brakes to avoid hitting his brother. Car behind him is traveling too close at a high rate of speed not paying attention or willfully hits ,without even tapping his brakes, the first car and cause both vehicles to run over and severely injure the pedestrian. The guy in the second car has lost his license 8 times prior to this incident for similar offenses during his short time behind the wheel. In every court, in any country, the second driver is held liable for the damages and Injuries due to negligence or willful attempted murder. A judge would see his rap sheet and throw the book at him with maximum time the penal code allowed, require financial restitution, and revoke his license for life. Yet we have a woke DA that believes more in equity than actual justice and decides not to prosecute and allows this man to walk free to hurt more people. And now that you have read this diatribe to the end how many of you understood that I was talking about Hockey?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If we're still talking about this, I do not understand how the overhead view is supposed to exonerate Kadri in any way. Yes, he probably would have missed the net had he continued in a straight line - so what? Rosen got to the puck ahead of him, and it's not Rosen's job to make sure Kadri gets out of the way of Binnington (by doing what exactly, not playing the puck?). It is, however, Kadri's job to not run the goalie*. Also, Kadri's the one who knocked Rosen into Binnington, not the other way around.

* yes, yes, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The contact with the defenseman is initiated before Binnington is even there. Binnington moved into traffic.