Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A bit old, but

Toph Bei Fong posted:

But also every character knows a secret language that only their alignment speaks and only in the company of other like minded individuals of the same species and which can only communicate ideas related to that alignment
This one was incomprehensible to me until I realized it's jargon, especially like, Ideology Jargon. Those guys sure are having a conversation, and you may recognize some words, but what the gently caress are they talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
xpost:

new article on the card kingdom union.

having worked there, all this is very real. warehouse workers and pickers are treated like absolute poo poo despite needing specialized training for almost everything they do, and ck's solution is just to hire an army of temps.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
No drama, but Cole Wehrle's recent Developer Diary for Arcs highlights some insights into the board game industry, and retail versus Kickstarter markets.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2867873/designer-diary-7-product-split

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don't see it as insightful to the industry (pointing out the obvious stuff about games creeping towards $100 price point as the norm is not exactly a novel observation) as much as an explanation for the (relatively) late right turn this game development is taking. All along it was billed as a short campaign game, now we're learning that with a month to go he 180d on that and put all the work into making a one off game without a lot of the core systems the game was built around, mostly to appease a broader audience that wants to get in at a friendly price like the original Root campaign.

I don't think that's a bad approach, but it does show how fast and loose Cole is with design process, and why the games can change so radically even after the KS campaign finishes. That also has to have a hand in some balance issues in Root, since he is still iterating on things and fully rebuilding factions post KS.

Also, the two pronged approach has to be some pressure from Leder to not repeat Oath, which was a successful campaign but never took off like Root in the greater hobby space (and logged plays on BGG reflect that, unlike the mentioned Root logs).

I hope it works out though, would love another hit like Root from him that can see a ton of play in single plays or campaigns, but I am dubious that the two will be equally worthy of play with so many big differences between them (at this point at least).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 17, 2022

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dawgstar posted:

The TSR3 crew that is/was running with Ernie Gygax is, surprisingly and yet unsurprisingly, worse than you thought. https://www.enworld.org/threads/does-tsr3-have-nazi-connections.688528/

lol

lmao

Edit:

loooool

lmaoooooo

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 18, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Should note that Alarums and Journeys there is not a misspelling, the guy was running a knockoff of Lee Gold's highly respected Alarums and Excursions.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

That Old Tree posted:

loooool

lmaoooooo
The unwillingness of these assholes to own their poo poo is just breathtaking. Uh, that wasn't me, that was actually a long-running BLM/A.N.T.I.F.A. operation to take over all my social media (without my noticing) and post stupid and incredibly hateful poo poo for months as part of their sinister plot to take down a... fourth-rate RPG "industry" hanger-on. Yes, let's go with that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
They're still selling Venger's stuff, although they did take down his anti-abortion adventure before it could own too many libs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

90s Cringe Rock posted:

They're still selling Venger's stuff, although they did take down his anti-abortion adventure before it could own too many libs.

I was honestly shocked Wieck yanked Johnson's stuff and so quickly.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I guess the line for DTRPG is literal swastikas.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dawgstar posted:

I was honestly shocked Wieck yanked Johnson's stuff and so quickly.

They're pretty inconsistent, mostly owing to how much public outcry there is, but this one is a pretty easy layup as far as these things go.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Venger Satanis isn’t being sued by OneBookShelf’s most lucrative partner company.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nessus posted:

A bit old, but

This one was incomprehensible to me until I realized it's jargon, especially like, Ideology Jargon. Those guys sure are having a conversation, and you may recognize some words, but what the gently caress are they talking about

This feels like a Disco Elysium mechanic.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nessus posted:

A bit old, but

Isn’t it just liturgical language? Like Latin or Church Slavonic or Sanskrit, it’s a language that speakers from all over might have in common because their religious services are in that language. That’s why it can only communicate ideas related to the alignment, it’s like a Berber and a Pashtun having a conversation in Classical Arabic, unless they’re both very well versed in the language, they’re essentially going to be limited to quoting the Quran at each other.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This feels like a Disco Elysium mechanic.
I imagine more like the weird jargon and esoterica that can be used to communicate ideas among things like particular Twitter subcommunities. I suppose a less cryptic, more comprehensible version of this which does not inadvertently summon members of that subcommunity, would be like how Masons can make extended conversations out of Masonic allusions, even if there are obvious limitations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

I imagine more like the weird jargon and esoterica that can be used to communicate ideas among things like particular Twitter subcommunities. I suppose a less cryptic, more comprehensible version of this which does not inadvertently summon members of that subcommunity, would be like how Masons can make extended conversations out of Masonic allusions, even if there are obvious limitations.

You are protected from stairs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Disco Elysium does supposedly take a lot of themes from Planescape Torment and suddenly a lot of things make sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Arivia posted:

You are protected from stairs.
Kyanka, his spine deceitful.

At hospital; lost fingat.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
edit
actually i dont care that much

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 21, 2022

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

A bit old, but

I suspect they didn't think it through that well and it's just secret code usable by beings on the same "team." I think alignment that far back is just primitive keywording/damage typing, and scrutinizing it further will reveal that it's turtles all the way down.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Disco Elysium does supposedly take a lot of themes from Planescape Torment and suddenly a lot of things make sense.

Disco's setting was designed to be a TTRPG first, based on a homebrew game setting that was originally for an AD&D group they all played in. They seem like the kind of turbo nerds who would go and tear through the old Planescape books and yeah probably the CRPG too.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Disco's setting was designed to be a TTRPG first, based on a homebrew game setting that was originally for an AD&D group they all played in. They seem like the kind of turbo nerds who would go and tear through the old Planescape books and yeah probably the CRPG too.

The Planescape: Torment stuff is very apparent in the way the game is presented. It very deliberately uses the same dialogue style as an Infinity Engine RPG, complete with asterisks to mark emphasis even when the engine could, surely, do that kind of markup. The way your thoughts will inject themselves into conversations mirrors the comments and branches that companions would interject into conversations. The way basically every interaction is done through the dialogue system. The lengthy conversations with random NPCs were kind of a hallmark of Torment in particular, and Disco Elysium is just weird in a very Torment-like way, down to details like having conversations with the city and abstract concepts. They're also structurally very similar, being games about someone with memory loss trying to figure out who they were and who they are. And you spend a lot of time talking to people with very weird politics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Reveilled posted:

Isn’t it just liturgical language? Like Latin or Church Slavonic or Sanskrit, it’s a language that speakers from all over might have in common because their religious services are in that language. That’s why it can only communicate ideas related to the alignment, it’s like a Berber and a Pashtun having a conversation in Classical Arabic, unless they’re both very well versed in the language, they’re essentially going to be limited to quoting the Quran at each other.
This is very belated because I do not scroll up but tbf this makes more sense, it's just not as much of the scene in America so postin' jargon stood out more. :shobon:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LatwPIAT posted:

The Planescape: Torment stuff is very apparent in the way the game is presented. It very deliberately uses the same dialogue style as an Infinity Engine RPG, complete with asterisks to mark emphasis even when the engine could, surely, do that kind of markup. The way your thoughts will inject themselves into conversations mirrors the comments and branches that companions would interject into conversations. The way basically every interaction is done through the dialogue system. The lengthy conversations with random NPCs were kind of a hallmark of Torment in particular, and Disco Elysium is just weird in a very Torment-like way, down to details like having conversations with the city and abstract concepts. They're also structurally very similar, being games about someone with memory loss trying to figure out who they were and who they are. And you spend a lot of time talking to people with very weird politics.

Yeah? I'm not disagreeing with the influence. I meant I'm sure they were pulling from the original books and the CRPG. The branching dialog and interjections of other voices are pretty common across CRPGs though. Planescape is famous for just how much dialog and lore dumps you can find, but it is building on what was set up by a lot of other isometric CRPGs, too.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

I had no idea about this, but I respect the team for writing a novel based on the setting, having it flop and get no recognition, and then go 'hey, lets do ten times the work and make a video game instead'. Most people would just give up at that point but here we go

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Disco Elysium even has a self-depreciating self-insert of the devs in Fortress Accident making a wildly ambitious and ultimately failed game you can find the remnants of, using the license of the setting's D&D equivalent, and even with obvious social commentary you can point out. Kinda meta really. And the Mega-Rich Light-Bending Guy is based on the eccentric businessman who helped fund the game.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
One thing I noticed about DE is how clear its character sheet is. Writing out the sheet for D&D or PF2e in that format actually makes it much clearer also, and I'm surprised no-one does it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Do you mean the skills beside their stat? I’ve seen that on a few sheets, and yeah it’s a good system, especially for new players that have a harder time grasping the difference in attributes.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Yea, and other things depending on that. It's handy because it's not just good for reminding new folks which stat affects which skill, it's actually a more convenient method for looking up available skills than alphabetical order is anyway, since you tend to have an idea of the rough approach you could take to a problem before looking at a specific ability. I tried doing one for PF2e and it comes out like this:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Lol, switch the order of dex and con and you have an amazing graphical representation of why the D&D stat array is garbage

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Splicer posted:

Lol, switch the order of dex and con and you have an amazing graphical representation of why the D&D stat array is garbage

Pretty impressive how damning that is of the spread, yeah.

Are the colors supposed to mean something, or just be pretty for people into that?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Just be pretty because DE had them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also Witch and Sorcerer kind of throw off the assignment of spell schools to stats as simply as that.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Kurieg posted:

Also Witch and Sorcerer kind of throw off the assignment of spell schools to stats as simply as that.

Likewise with champion and monk.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I had no idea about this, but I respect the team for writing a novel based on the setting, having it flop and get no recognition, and then go 'hey, lets do ten times the work and make a video game instead'. Most people would just give up at that point but here we go

Disco Elysium's art director, Aleksander Rostov posted:

"I remember going to the door to let him in. He looked me dead in the eye and said, 'My friend, we failed at so many things. Let us also fail at making a video game.'"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SkyeAuroline posted:

"I remember going to the door to let him in. He looked me dead in the eye and said, 'My friend, we failed at so many things. Let us also fail at making a video game.'"

That's so loving metal.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

Magnetic North posted:

That's so loving metal.
I think you mean "HARDCORE."

\/ It is. \/

DressCodeBlue fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 23, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

DressCodeBlue posted:

I think you mean "HARDCORE."

If that's a reference to the game, I only played it for like an hour.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You have to respect their commitment to the bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nessus posted:

Kyanka, his spine deceitful.

At hospital; lost fingat.

Check for the ring.