Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

christmas boots posted:

The Shining
The Shining 2: Shine Harder
The Shining 3: Everybody Get your Shine On
The Shining 4: Never Stop Shining
Shine: Legacy
Goodfellas

All fantastic books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cowslips Warren posted:

WandaVision ending: when the agent/girl with new powers says that the town, recently held loving prisoner by Wanda, will never understand her grief...bull loving poo poo! Everyone lost people in that Snap, some people lost everyone they ever loved, and what Wanda really needed was Rocket Raccoon circa first Guardians to slap her the way he did Drax: Big deal, we all lost people, now loving focus!

Wanda is lucky the townspeople didn't attack her, because other than being terrified of her still, that's what most sane people would do.

Most people lost people in the snap, very few were forced to kill their husband in a fruitless attempt to prevent the snap, then had to watch a big purple guy undo the murder and murder the husband again, then do the snap, oh and the death didn't count as the snap so you don't get him back in five years.

She's still the worst at processing grief, though. That's her whole deal. Recall that her introduction to the MCU was volunteering to let Nazis tinker with her head using alien tech because she was mad at Tony Stark.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

also her husband is a robot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure the key thing with a lot of Stephen King's stuff is plain ol nightmare logic. Of the chilling helplessness dealing with something bizarre and malevolent that no one else seems to even notice or recognise as the slightest bit odd.

Obviously adaptations are gonna suck if you can't roll with that.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BiggerBoat posted:

it went well out of it's way to paint Sean Penn in an unsympathetic light
It's Sean Penn, that isn't really that far out of the way

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

It's Sean Penn, that isn't really that far out of the way

Somehow I conflated Sean Penn and Ethan Hawke and I kept wondering why the guy who beat up Madonna kept getting work in the 2020s

Ethan Hawke turns out to be okay as far as I know, I'm just a dolt

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Phy posted:

Somehow I conflated Sean Penn and Ethan Hawke and I kept wondering why the guy who beat up Madonna kept getting work in the 2020s
Keep wondering because the gross prick is still getting work

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
He won Academy Awards, it will take much, much more than beig a wife-beater to get him out of the Hollywood circle.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

moonmazed posted:

nah this ep was retroactively ruined by moffat running everything straight into the grond :regd08:

Retroactively? It was run into the ground as soon as it was aired.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah and I'm saying maybe the reason King has so many dud adaptations is because his poo poo is inherently goofy.

This makes sense. The overall plots have been the weakest parts of his books for me, but the individual moments are so wonderful at times, they’re still worth reading.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Grendels Dad posted:

He won Academy Awards, it will take much, much more than beig a wife-beater to get him out of the Hollywood circle.

Funny this one, Shane Pencil probably didn’t actually beat Madonna, ‘‘twas British tabloid nonsense. My favorite article on the topic: https://www.gawker.com/did-sean-penn-beat-up-madonna-an-archaeology-of-hollyw-1748746261

Man Gawker was great, too bad they accurately reported on a nazi billionaire!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

theironjef posted:

She's still the worst at processing grief, though. That's her whole deal. Recall that her introduction to the MCU was volunteering to let Nazis tinker with her head using alien tech because she was mad at Tony Stark.
MCU Phase 5: Everyone Gets Lots of Therapy

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zero_Grade posted:

MCU Phase 5: Everyone Gets Lots of Therapy

Moon Knight already beat up therapy.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Push El Burrito posted:

Moon Knight already beat up therapy.

lmao

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

moonmazed posted:

nah this ep was retroactively ruined by moffat running everything straight into the grond :regd08:
I mean, Moffat is terrible at running series and all his "the protagonist is the most important person in the universe and everything must revolve around them" schtick is insufferable; and the two follow ups to that episode are incredibly bad; but Blink is still a solid 45min TV show in isolation. You could probably watch that an nothing else Dr Who related and be fine.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

That Italian Guy posted:

I mean, Moffat is terrible at running series and all his "the protagonist is the most important person in the universe and everything must revolve around them" schtick is insufferable; and the two follow ups to that episode are incredibly bad; but Blink is still a solid 45min TV show in isolation. You could probably watch that an nothing else Dr Who related and be fine.

I plan to watch this and the Discovery with Evil Scenery Chewing Michel Yoh in one evening.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Remulak posted:

I plan to watch this and the Discovery with Evil Scenery Chewing Michel Yeoh in one evening.

There's a lot of that though.

Edit: still not good

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Despite the series' love of callbacks, there has never been an episode of a Star Wars show where they go podracing again, has there?

I just realized this, and I am Irrationally Irritated by it.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
i'm actually in the middle of re-watching the star wars in chronological order, and although there's a lot of cgi in the prequel movies, they are at least creative. you can see the ships or whatever that evolve into the ones in the original trilogy, there's the podrace, interesting battles, yoda kicking rear end.
i don't even know if i'll keep going once i finish return of the jedi, the new ones just suck comparatively, there's a battle that's very similar to hoth.
i think another side of it is i just finished a new hope and there's like a couple minutes just getting into their ships and preparing for battle, whereas the new ones the ships just come out whenever convenient to the plot and the heroes are just completely superior to their opponents. even when the millenium falcon is escaping from the death star, the four ties actually get some good hits on them and it takes some time for them to get shot down, the new ones they just destroy them basically effortlessly.
george lucas might be a hack when it comes to some of the names he comes up with, but the guy was actually trying. the new ones are just aping his style.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

That Italian Guy posted:

It's still the only episode I've ever seen

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the one where some dumpy dudes in a basement summon a psychic space spider puppet by chanting a Sanskrit mantra a few times and it immediately turns on them and shoots lightning all over the place.

Primo stuff.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ardent Communist posted:

yoda kicking rear end.

I feel like seeing that undercuts Yoda's whole deal. Him flipping around like a ninja hamster. It lacks dignity.

No, when Yoda fights it should look lazy and effortless. His blade should seem to just casually be where it needs to be, and his body is coincidentally out of the way of any strikes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I feel like seeing that undercuts Yoda's whole deal. Him flipping around like a ninja hamster. It lacks dignity.

No, when Yoda fights it should look lazy and effortless. His blade should seem to just casually be where it needs to be, and his body is coincidentally out of the way of any strikes.

this but also he shouldn't have a light saber, he holds his own in a chaotic environment through what appears to be sheer luck

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yoda mocap should have been done by Jackie Chan, is what I take from this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Beachcomber posted:

THat's kind of the main character from Tales of Zestiria - if you can't see the Seraphim fighting alongside him, as few people can, it just looks like he swings his fake sword (it's ceremonial, not even made for combat) and things and people just start exploding. He's terrifying if you can't perceive how he fights.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

THat's kind of the main character from Tales of Zestiria - if you can't see the Seraphim fighting alongside him, as few people can, it just looks like he swings his fake sword (it's ceremonial, not even made for combat) and things and people just start exploding. He's terrifying if you can't perceive how he fights.

I'm the same way.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Beachcomber posted:

I guess you can sort of argue that it ties into the whole theme of the prequels - that the Jedi and the Republic didn't live up to the legends, that they were too arrogant to notice Palpatine was playing them all, too quick to leap into a battle they didn't understand, too complacent to recognize where their dogma and traditions were failing them. So Yoda at this point should feel 'wrong'; he's a Yoda who hasn't had humility beaten into him by losing everything and spending years in exile.

But, if that was the intent, I think the shot of Yoda 'heroically' leading Stormtroopers into battle sells the idea that something is terribly wrong with the Jedi much better than him leaping around like a deranged muppet.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just don't like that Yoda's race have very long lifespans and yet 20 years is the difference between flipping around on floating platforms and hobbling around with a cane then dying.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I just don't like that Yoda's race have very long lifespans and yet 20 years is the difference between flipping around on floating platforms and hobbling around with a cane then dying.

The atmosphere on Dagobah is real bad for the body.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Morpheus posted:

He spent the 20 years between trilogies eating nothing but hot pockets and drinking 2 liters of Mountain Dew per day.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Morpheus posted:

He was hobbling around with a cane in the prequel trilogy too. I took it that his bouncing around was an extreme exertion and so he wouldn't do it unless absolutely required. Or maybe he just thought "with the Force could I bounce around, yes, but look like a loving idiot I will".

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, Yoda fighting should be the kind of thing where he is always in exactly the right place at exactly the right time and in a way to make whoever he is fighting look foolish.

And the epitome of making small changes to have a huge impact.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 13:01 on May 24, 2022

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Look like a dick your light saber does. Palpatine resigns.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, Yoda fighting should be the kind of thing where he is always in exactly the right place at exactly the right time and in a way to make whoever he is fighting look foolish.

And the epitome of making small changes to have a huge impact.
Yoda has the powers and demeanor to be one of those YouTube chi masters that can kill you with a touch and are then beaten up by a MMA fighter. Instead in the prequels he is one of those YouTube clowns that pretend to know an exotic dance like martial art and are then beaten up by a MMA fighter.

E: what I'm saying is that we need a YouTube video of a MMA fighter beating up a "real life" Jedi Master.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 13:19 on May 24, 2022

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

FreudianSlippers posted:

He spent the 20 years between trilogies eating nothing but hot pockets and drinking 2 liters of Mountain Dew per day.
He came down with the deadliest disease in the galaxy: Gameritis

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

FreudianSlippers posted:

I would say I feel called out by this, but my diabetic neuropathy ensures I don't feel anything at all.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Angry Salami posted:

But, if that was the intent, I think the shot of Yoda 'heroically' leading Stormtroopers into battle sells the idea that something is terribly wrong with the Jedi much better than him leaping around like a deranged muppet.
Lucas's treatment of the franchise leads me to believe there's a 0% chance that IF there was an intent to make the jedi appear flawed, Yoda twirling around was a part of it and not just "every jedi should be a gymnast in robes with a laser sword".

I honestly have a very hard time understanding the "sequels redeemed the prequels" movement. The sequels weren't great, but at least they (well, the first 2) were coherent, which is more than I can say about the prequels.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I still, prior to the prequels, thought that the Clone Wars would have been between the Jedi and clones of Jedi that were half decent but flawed/using the Dark Side and failing. Perhaps made by the Sith, perhaps just made by people who thought the Force could be injected into loving clones.

WTF is this unknown army of lovely troopers and loving bugs. NO ONE CARES.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I always assumed Yoda's all flippy because they told Christopher Lee to "swordfight an invisible little guy" and then they had to find a way to fit Yoda into where he was wildly swinging his little cane saber around.

Otherwise though age decline happens pretty suddenly at some points, ask an 80 year old.

And I agree completely about how at least the prequels had some creative new ships and ideas. The sequels are all like "What if X-wing but very slightly different engine cowlings. What if A-Wing but slightly flatter? What if B-Wing but bomber? New cool ship owned by private rich guy? Don't worry we'll always backlight it so you can't even see what it looks like! TIE Fighters have white and red highlights now." It's like someone in their creative department thought "You know what people hated most about the prequels? Those little Jedi starfighters that didn't look exactly like X-Wings."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Dunno if this is just heresay but I read somewhere that everything in the sequels is just different enough to avoid having to payout royalties