Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

If you find out how they do it, for the love of God tell us

My money's on blackmail

It's actually usually something to do with being a white male. In my experience.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

It's actually usually something to do with being a white male. In my experience.

:synpa:

Without going into too much detail (even omitted gendered pronouns on purpose, originally) - neither. Whatever the cause here is, it's not an issue of... whatever "official" term we use for demographics with historical advantages nowadays.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SkyeAuroline posted:

Without going into too much detail (even omitted gendered pronouns on purpose, originally) - neither. Whatever the cause here is, it's not an issue of... whatever "official" term we use for demographics with historical advantages nowadays.

Privilege will suffice.

I'm a big white bald guy so people usually just shrug at my antics and I don't get in trouble unless I contradict an older, balder, whiter guy.

naem
May 29, 2011

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Privilege will suffice.

I'm a big white bald guy so people usually just shrug at my antics and I don't get in trouble unless I contradict an older, balder, whiter guy.

as a white guy in my early middle years I occasionally have to ask older, balder white guys to do something at work and they all uniformly just lose their complete utter poo poo like, I don’t know what, they’re going to murder my whole family for reminding them about the TPS report

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

My money's on blackmail

"I would prefer not to"

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

naem posted:

as a white guy in my early middle years I occasionally have to ask older, balder white guys to do something at work and they all uniformly just lose their complete utter poo poo like, I don’t know what, they’re going to murder my whole family for reminding them about the TPS report

Some days my entire email consists of old, bald, white dudes with angry expressions in their profile pic sending 5 word "sentences."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

naem posted:

Stop asking them to do things and start telling them what to do. They'll respect a strong alpha..hahaha sorry I can't finish that they're idiots.

naem
May 29, 2011

Outrail posted:

Stop asking them to do things and start telling them what to do. They'll respect a strong alpha..hahaha sorry I can't finish that they're idiots.

a bunch of things that were manual processes before that could be ignored or fudged became semi-automated recently and a whole contingent of formerly self important people who never did anything correctly or on time are now getting constant red warning messages “the things are not done” “the thing’s are not right”

all of them kept stomping around going “who is the person I can waggle a finger at” and, there is no person, do your job right and on time

won’t lie I’m enjoying the poo poo out of it lol

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

naem posted:

a bunch of things that were manual processes before that could be ignored or fudged became semi-automated recently and a whole contingent of formerly self important people who never did anything correctly or on time are now getting constant red warning messages “the things are not done” “the thing’s are not right”

all of them kept stomping around going “who is the person I can waggle a finger at” and, there is no person, do your job right and on time

won’t lie I’m enjoying the poo poo out of it lol

Sounds like procurement got asked to do something other than fingerfuck supplier LOBs to tell whatever story keeps their job.

My entire job is babysitting these jerkoffs through approving things they reviewed and reminding them they liked it on friday, so monday shouldn't be any different.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

A Stupid Baby posted:

You'd think a place with a major income stream of outdoor wedding rentals would have grasped the idea of not letting the sprinklers spray everyone during the drat ceremony after having it happen more than once a year for 5+ years

venue lyfe

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

You aren't wrong, though. If you don't provide step by step directions to a lot of these people they will just...not do anything.

I have a vendor we owe $200k. I resolved as much as I could by myself, but some of the major stumbling blocks are around things that happened a year before I started this job, so I need other people to provide background and support. Since last Thursday I've taken over two meetings and pulled our Business Development guy aside during a visit to another vendor in order to shame and force people into action because the last couple weeks of just warning this would be a problem got no results. I literally have to put together individual step-by-step guides on what I need from each person or they will act like they've never heard of the thing I'm talking about. They don't want to learn or think, they just want to click a couple buttons and be done with it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

You aren't wrong, though. If you don't provide step by step directions to a lot of these people they will just...not do anything.

I have a vendor we owe $200k. I resolved as much as I could by myself, but some of the major stumbling blocks are around things that happened a year before I started this job, so I need other people to provide background and support. Since last Thursday I've taken over two meetings and pulled our Business Development guy aside during a visit to another vendor in order to shame and force people into action because the last couple weeks of just warning this would be a problem got no results. I literally have to put together individual step-by-step guides on what I need from each person or they will act like they've never heard of the thing I'm talking about. They don't want to learn or think, they just want to click a couple buttons and be done with it.

You are about to be promoted to the top and take command, or be very disillusioned and burn out in a few years, and the chances are not equal.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

satanic splash-back posted:

You are about to be promoted to the top and take command, or be very disillusioned and burn out in a few years, and the chances are not equal.

The trick is to burn people out before they can do the same to you

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I really wish the ghouls in corporate would understand that a brewery is not a short order kitchen and scheduling is important.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

My money's on blackmail

I've been in this position as a manager. I had one guy with autism who just couldn't leave his house some days and another guy with a lot of child care /mental health problems. So you make accommodations as best you can, but the one thing you don't do is tell anyone else why theyre not in as it's none of anyone else's business.

It's tough because it puts pressure on the rest of the team but you've got to do your best by folk.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Escape From Noise posted:

I really wish the ghouls in corporate would understand that a brewery is not a short order kitchen and scheduling is important.

look, i didn't go through business school to learn how things work, just how to Make Number Go Up

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

OMFG FURRY posted:

look, i didn't go through business school to learn how things work, just how to Make Number Go Up

Reminds me of the issues surrounding AI copyright now they're churning out art and music.

"You can't assign ownership rights and financial rewards to the user! They just told it what to do and set it going!"

"Like most managers then?"

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

OMFG FURRY posted:

Number is going down. Clearly workers aren't working hard enough!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I really wish I could quit this dumb company. It's not the worst place but loving hell the corporate structure blows. Visa wise I should probably wait until March.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

"Please make changes to this system you're not familiar with. Here's a list of step-by-step instructions so it shouldn't be a problem."

Except....

The instructions were full of typos, errors, missing information, ambiguities, needed settings that nobody could give me a clear definition of. *sigh*

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I work as a hearing reporter for social security, essentially just typing out everything everyone says (no I don't get to use the fancy stenography machine, just a regular-rear end keyboard). Everyone teleworks except me so I'm the only one in the office.

The lights are motion detection and regularly turn off during my hearings which jams my stupid brain since even though I don't look at the keyboard I can't type with the lights off. I rigged another office chair with a combination Mr Bean on his car/bayblade get up so that when the lights turn off I can spin the chair next to the sensor and turn the lights back on. Innovation!!

Also today it occurred to me that I can take the judge's chair and type from that rather than my regular office chair, score

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cursed.

You're enjoying the abuse you didn't ask for and clearly hate!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

This isn't the cursed images thread that is next door.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Evilreaver posted:

!!

Also today it occurred to me that I can take the judge's chair and type from that rather than my regular office chair, score

OBJECTION!!!!

naem
May 29, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

this automated thing I described is amazing because these same grouchy self important people can’t do anything until they clear the flashing red thing on their screen. previously it would build up over a week or two.

It was never my job to baby-sit or help anyone but some saw my dept as “just do the paperwork for me” and now my dept manages processes that these people perform and we grill them when it’s wrong or late.

it’s not even me managing them, I’m not involved, it’s totally unrelated work. but as a face they know in the building I had several come literally scream at me until their screen filled up with red and they had no choice but to, you know, work.

one of the yelly-est later came to me in tears to confide “Now all I do all day is sit at a screen typing things!! I’ve hardly had time to wander around distracting other people while I waggle fingers at them as if I’m important!” and I’m like, oh no guy who yelled at me, you’re working? at work?

e: oh and another guy said “why do they even need me here this could all be automated” and instead of the gotcha moment he expected where we magically go back to nineteen dicky-two it’s like, yep we kinda don’t need you do we, maybe think about that a bit. hope you have some money saved up for a rainy day

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

naem posted:

e: oh and another guy said “why do they even need me here this could all be automated” and instead of the gotcha moment he expected where we magically go back to nineteen dicky-two it’s like, yep we kinda don’t need you do we, maybe think about that a bit. hope you have some money saved up for a rainy day

Surely even the densest person has this under "things I should never say out loud at work, right?
By a process of self-selection if nothing else...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Peak boomer brain.

Having the confidence and lack of 21st employment awareness to say this in the workplace has to be the boomeriest thing on the planet.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm not even some kind of expert at what I do but for gently caress's sake gimme the cash you loving dead eyed corporate zombies! You couldn't manage half the poo poo I do!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I've been at my new company for a little over a month and last week they started asking people to go back to the office 1 day a week, and for people on teams to decide which day they'll go to the office together because it makes no sense to have them come in on different days. I'm lucky in that I got an exemption from this because Reasons

Anyway, during my first meeting this morning someone mentioned that nobody was in the office today because there was already a report of someone testing positive for covid and everyone was asked to stay home

This return to office poo poo is so mind bogglingly stupid and yet tons of companies are still trying it hoping it just works out

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Atopian posted:

Surely even the densest person has this under "things I should never say out loud at work, right?
My expectations for "poo poo you don't do/say at work" this were obliterated a few months ago when a co-worker was asked, "Oh hay, you didn't come to that meeting yesterday afternoon" and the response to everyone including the boss in the current meeting was "Oh yeah, I took a nap."

Right up there with those stories that after two years of WFH, people still don't know how to turn off their microphones and subjecting co-workers to sounds of going to the bathroom or jerking off.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I've been at my new company for a little over a month and last week they started asking people to go back to the office 1 day a week, and for people on teams to decide which day they'll go to the office together because it makes no sense to have them come in on different days. I'm lucky in that I got an exemption from this because Reasons

Anyway, during my first meeting this morning someone mentioned that nobody was in the office today because there was already a report of someone testing positive for covid and everyone was asked to stay home

This return to office poo poo is so mind bogglingly stupid and yet tons of companies are still trying it hoping it just works out

I could understand a bit if the companies owned the buildings people were supposed to be in, but it makes zero loving sense when all they are doing is leasing the space. Don’t they like cutting costs?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Elephant Ambush posted:

still trying it hoping it just works out

This time will be different!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ChickenDoodle posted:

I could understand a bit if the companies owned the buildings people were supposed to be in, but it makes zero loving sense when all they are doing is leasing the space. Don’t they like cutting costs?

Could be even better - could be us. We owned our building outright for decades. Finally management started talking about relocating (loving all our current employees on travel time for the sake of getting close to a "bigger market" while not even paying entry level for that bigger market for roles requiring experience - at this point no remote work was allowed at all), so we sold the building and signed a temporary lease while we figured out moving to another facility. No, I don't know why we didn't find a new facility first, but that was their thought process.

In winter 2019. Surprise what happened next while we were still leasing the building we had just been owning.

Also: missing coworker is alive. Sounds like a second family emergency during the first one. Feel bad for complaining now. (Though they were supposed to be back today, remote, and... still aren't...)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
The logic behind RTO is the same logic behind boomers going all :bahgawd: over the idea of waiving student loans. They had to slave over a hot keyboard 9-5 M-F and sometimes on the weekends too, and they'll be goddamned if those millenial shits don't have to do the same.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm interviewing for a 'model manager' position where my job will cease to be real. I'll just be talking to other teams in the company and relating feedback.

It's so awesome that engineers can't talk to eachother, it's carved out a whole career for me where I can say stuff like, "well I can't answer that right now, let me talk to my team and we'll get you an answer by x/xx."

Then I have other people make a presentation and give it. Lol.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

TotalLossBrain posted:

OBJECTION!!!!

Overruled, I am the judge now

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

We desperately need another supervisor for my job, and we had a guy who is know to most of us from a competitor apply for that position. Dude is qualified, well-liked, and most importantly, our client would actually be OK with us hiring him on for that spot.

Boomer idiot manager comes back with "nah, we need to promote from within". Problem is that literally no one in the company is qualified for it and won't be for another two years at least. So, his solution to this was to offer the guy basically the same job he has now, for slightly less pay, with the 'promise to promote'...shockingly, the dude has decided to stay with his current job.

And nobody in this company is qualified to take that spot. And we still need that supervisor spot filled, badly.

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender
My company has been return-to-office for the last year. Half of our company has had COVID the last time I bothered to check HR's dashboard. Also, only 60% of our office has had the vaccine despite my company's lackluster carrot-or-stick approach.

Last week, my group had a 'team builder' meeting to discuss a personality test we were asked to do. While sitting down, I see that I am the only one aside from the instructor wearing a mask inside this cramped room.

When the meeting starts, the instructor apologizes for wearing a mask but they needed to wear one because they were a close contact to someone at work that tested positive for COVID.

I got up and left--my job regularly has me going to commercial sites or residential homes with most places still take temperature readings and ask questions about COVID contacts.

My manager wasn't too happy, but I can't do my job if I can't pass the typical COVID questionnaire. I think he should be happy, our COVID positive paperwork is a nightmare to work with and took me 3 hours to fully complete the last time I had to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

My expectations for "poo poo you don't do/say at work" this were obliterated a few months ago when a co-worker was asked, "Oh hay, you didn't come to that meeting yesterday afternoon" and the response to everyone including the boss in the current meeting was "Oh yeah, I took a nap."

Right up there with those stories that after two years of WFH, people still don't know how to turn off their microphones and subjecting co-workers to sounds of going to the bathroom or jerking off.

I have done this. I wasn't needed in the meeting, nothing absolutely critical was being discussed, I wasn't working effectively due to being tired. Nobody cared. It's good.