Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Titan AE is such an ugly movie because they couldn't decide on an art style. If had been purely animation or purely CGI it might have been fine.

Eh I thought it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Titan AE is what happens when you have some gorgeous, state-of-the-art CGI (for the time) and then you let Don Bluth draw all over it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
the blue energy monsters being CG worked in theory because they were energy creatures, made em stand out and seem even more otherwordly, but I don't think the quality really held up

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Titan AE was already a doomed movie that Fox had been kicking around unsure of what to do with it, and then they took the movie that had been written with live action in mind and threw it at Don Bluth in his doomed animation division that Fox was already probably going to can and the movie would've had to be some kind of miracle to save. They even went through three writers with the last guy punching up the script being Joss Whedon doing his Joss Whedon thing. Even in Don Bluth's best movies, they're more a collection of scenes than a tightly cohesive plot, so he wasn't the guy to try buffing out the dents in that mess.

I suspect that the CGI was heinously expensive at the time despite looking very dated, and the traditional animation bits I think look like they weren't really efficiently budgeted. And it doesn't even really look that great for all the money being spent. The CGI bits look great in motion, but look a lot worse in stills because most of the models are all monotone from trying to fit in with the muddy look of most of the movie (which was the style at the time in videogames).

And then the last insult to injury was Treasure Planet coming out to overshadow Titan AE's place in history by having a similar tone, color palette, themes, music, and groundbreaking integration between CGI and traditional animation, but basically better in almost every way. Even having a longer, more troubled history at Disney that might've influenced the production of Titan AE so who's even the real ripoff? Titan AE has a lot more wasted potential, and Treasure Planet is such a solid movie in comparison even though it's still seen as a "failure" in the Disney canon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I remember the animation framerate vs CG framerate issue stuck out a lot more for me in AE than it did in Treasure Planet: was Planet animated with more frames for the traditional animation?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I mostly remember it for the incredibly 90s soundtrack. Jamiroquai, The Urge, Luscious Jackson, Fun Lovin' Criminals, Lit, Powerman 5000 :rock:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

And Creed’s ‘Higher’ is indelibly linked to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njRH_EDfLpA

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I couldn't get over Treasure Planet's main character, this ain't your daddys Jim Hawkins! He's a super cool dude with 'tude that skyboards and has a ponytail AND an undershave! But then I've gone on the record to being heavily turned off on 90s cool characters.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Titan AE was already a doomed movie that Fox had been kicking around unsure of what to do with it, and then they took the movie that had been written with live action in mind and threw it at Don Bluth in his doomed animation division that Fox was already probably going to can and the movie would've had to be some kind of miracle to save. They even went through three writers with the last guy punching up the script being Joss Whedon doing his Joss Whedon thing. Even in Don Bluth's best movies, they're more a collection of scenes than a tightly cohesive plot, so he wasn't the guy to try buffing out the dents in that mess.

I suspect that the CGI was heinously expensive at the time despite looking very dated, and the traditional animation bits I think look like they weren't really efficiently budgeted. And it doesn't even really look that great for all the money being spent. The CGI bits look great in motion, but look a lot worse in stills because most of the models are all monotone from trying to fit in with the muddy look of most of the movie (which was the style at the time in videogames).

And then the last insult to injury was Treasure Planet coming out to overshadow Titan AE's place in history by having a similar tone, color palette, themes, music, and groundbreaking integration between CGI and traditional animation, but basically better in almost every way. Even having a longer, more troubled history at Disney that might've influenced the production of Titan AE so who's even the real ripoff? Titan AE has a lot more wasted potential, and Treasure Planet is such a solid movie in comparison even though it's still seen as a "failure" in the Disney canon.

These two movies had entirely merged together in my brain, I was about to write a post about how it was a Disney movie until you started talking about Treasure Planet. Just unreal convergence.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Treasure Planet is definitely underrated, but I guess it's still not great. I like Jim's arc, but it's pretty specifically powered by teen angst, and the movie lacks much else going for it. There were plans for a sequel (because this was in the days when Disney thought that getting into sequel movies would be big money) that I think might've made for a more balanced movie, but it was not to be.

I get rejecting the skateboarding as just an attempt to go "how are you fellow teens", but I like it. It even makes a nice finale for the movie when Jim jury-rigs a spare thruster with a foot pedal to outrace an explosion. Better than Disney's Tarzan rollerblading for some reason.

I also like the idea that since Treasure Planet handwaves the need for an air supply, their spaceships can be so much smaller.

haveblue posted:

I mostly remember it for the incredibly 90s soundtrack. Jamiroquai, The Urge, Luscious Jackson, Fun Lovin' Criminals, Lit, Powerman 5000 :rock:

What's funny is that's another part of the movie that probably cost a big chunk of money, but Treasure Planet did it way better. Maybe Titan AE is even more of a musical than the disney movie from peppering all that stuff around. While Treasure Planet just has one musical number, but they dedicate the song its own little part of the movie to show all of the song, and it perfectly illustrates the main character of the movie and explains his motivations while also moving the movie forward by showing his growing relationship with Long John traitor. And also they followed it up with a matching song over the credits, which is a rare time a pop music song over the credits of a disney movie actually relates directly to the movie itself.

It also helps that while while both the main characters of Treasure Planet and Titan AE are upset about their deadbeat dads, Jim Hawkins is a teen in need of guidance and at that age where he will be chafing under confinement and needs something to make of himself, while the Titan AE guy is a grown-rear end adult with less excuses for being a jerk. He even gets a little speech from his dad at the end instead of overcoming the need for his dad's recognition like Jim.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SlothfulCobra posted:

I get rejecting the skateboarding as just an attempt to go "how are you fellow teens", but I like it. It even makes a nice finale for the movie when Jim jury-rigs a spare thruster with a foot pedal to outrace an explosion. Better than Disney's Tarzan rollerblading for some reason.

My teenage self is in my brain going "God i loving hate that stupid poo poo. He doesn't look cool! He looks like what a 45 year old executive is telling me is cool! That movie looks stupid and pandering to kids not old enough to actually be with it".

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

While I saw neither of them in theater and didn't watch them until my early twenty's when I was interested in animation, I have to admit the concepts were compelling even if they weren't "great". I just wish these movies weren't one of the last nails in the coffin for not only animated sci-fi, but traditional animation as a whole. I mean we got Lilo and Stich. But I'd like to see a big budget 2D animation again, regardless of the theme.

Sorry for the derail.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Most of the ships in Titan AE were pretty interesting. The scene in the ice cluster thing was badass. The energy aliens I don't even really remember being in the movie for more than like 3 scenes.

I never saw the other movie referenced above with similar animation but Titan AE kinda reminds of Final Fantasy Spirits Within. Generic/passable story with a solid cast and an art style that caused the whole thing to implode and never happen again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Might as well also mention one of Treasure Planet's more striking designs.

Linux Pirate posted:

While I saw neither of them in theater and didn't watch them until my early twenty's when I was interested in animation, I have to admit the concepts were compelling even if they weren't "great". I just wish these movies weren't one of the last nails in the coffin for not only animated sci-fi, but traditional animation as a whole. I mean we got Lilo and Stich. But I'd like to see a big budget 2D animation again, regardless of the theme.

Sorry for the derail.

Eh, I think Fox was wanting to get rid of their animation division already, considering how they were ditched right after Titan AE came out, and Disney stuck with animation for a little while longer until Home on the Range did the real deathblow for traditional theatrical animation. Nickelodeon even tried its hand at theatrical movies at around that time which went very poorly for its own obvious reasons. But yeah, it was towards the end of an era. At least for America.

But also the year Treasure Planet came out, Disney also put out what I thought was their best movie ever, which had these neat ships.

I guess Gantu's lil bumblebee ship is the more distinct and original design, but Jumba's ship seems neat, some kind of luxury thing from Jumba's earlier days maybe, or maybe he negotiated for it as part of the deal to fetch Stitch. Of course, that only really exists because of its own trouble because of a certain event that made hijacking a 747 and flying it through a city significantly less funny. But the use of CGI made that scene more salvageable since they could switch out models.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Spacecraft, 2000-2100AD was a cheesy cash-in book which took some cover paintings and wrote entries for them in the vein of Janes' Fighting Ships, and drat if it didn't light up every neuron in my 13-year-old brain when it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQunbwFw2VI

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I always forget just how big my main ship in Star Trek Online is until I get into a task force and see a Galaxy class next to it.

(I'm flying the black and green ship)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Madurai posted:

Spacecraft, 2000-2100AD was a cheesy cash-in book which took some cover paintings and wrote entries for them in the vein of Janes' Fighting Ships, and drat if it didn't light up every neuron in my 13-year-old brain when it came out.

oh man, snap - just retrieved this from my parents house on the weekend. that video is incredible, just a snapshot of what my brain saw back in 198X

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I found an almost pristine copy of the third book in the series ("SpaceWreck: Ghost Ships and Derelicts of Space") for just a few dollars at a small-town used book store a couple of years ago.

I'd love to get the rest one day but the prices are a bit spicy for decent copies.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have all three, spacewreck is great. Prose is so so purple

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
The TTA books are great. My dad had them and I used to dig through them as a kid. Wish I could find them on the cheap now.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Madurai posted:

This MF modeled and animated each page of that book. That’s more effort than the credited writer of the book put in.

I know this because when I read that book at 13 or w/e the inconsistencies really bothered me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bill Posters posted:

I found an almost pristine copy of the third book in the series ("SpaceWreck: Ghost Ships and Derelicts of Space") for just a few dollars at a small-town used book store a couple of years ago.

I'd love to get the rest one day but the prices are a bit spicy for decent copies.

I mentioned it before but i had that book as a kid and would pour over it endlessly. Just looking at the pictures but as i got older I actually read the attached captions and stories so I got a lot more out of it.

It was probably sold at one of my parents yard sales before they moved into a condo after i had moved out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SNW Enterprise :allears:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Titan AE chat: Preed owns

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

SNW Enterprise :allears:

I'm so glad I'm skipping this show. Why the gently caress is the lens got raindrops on it?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I'm so glad I'm skipping this show. Why the gently caress is the lens got raindrops on it?

I've heard nothing but good things about SNWs.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

CainFortea posted:

Maybe they shot in Vancouver?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CainFortea posted:

Because it's an ion storm.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CainFortea posted:

C-cometary matter

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

CainFortea posted:

So far SNW has been very good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm not fond of the not-a-reboot-this-is-how-it-really-was Enterprise of SNW either but let's not open that particular :can: in this thread, there are other threads for us to be grognards in.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Because it's an ion storm.

:hmmyes:

Darth Brooks posted:

So far SNW has been very good.

Every clip i've seen of it has looked like crap. The stories might be fine, but I also don't trust that past the already reviewed episodes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

imagine not watching a sci-fi show because it looks bad, every british show ever made immediately hits zero viewers

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

imagine not watching a sci-fi show because it looks bad, every british show ever made immediately hits zero viewers

Plenty of people don't watch shows because it looks bad. It's a visual medium. It's literally one of the biggest criteria.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Plenty of people don't watch shows because it looks bad. It's a visual medium. It's literally one of the biggest criteria.

look pal, I want my alien planets to be blatantly quarries, I want my sets wobbly, my aliens made of bubble wrap, and I want my actors Shakespearean.

Now check out this bad boy, the Liberator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG24v6djlec

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Correct. Every British sci fi show is bad.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

look pal, I want my alien planets to be blatantly quarries, I want my sets wobbly, my aliens made of bubble wrap, and I want my actors Shakespearean.

Now check out this bad boy, the Liberator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG24v6djlec

I want the world to look like this again

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

galagazombie posted:

Correct. Every British sci fi show is bad.

I want to like Blake's 7 so bad, but I look at it and I can't suspend my disbelief. It looks too cheesy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I want to like Blake's 7 so bad, but I look at it and I can't suspend my disbelief. It looks too cheesy.

It is extremely bad in a lot of ways but it is also extremely camp and the dialogue is whip-sharp. You just have to treat it like a stage play.

Also there's one writer that is massively sexist, they only wrote like 3 episodes over the entire series but they're very obvious when they turn up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
You loving children.
In the before times we weren't so overwhelmed with choice for sci-fi media that we could pick and chose what we consumed.

NAY-NAY we watched it all.

Props made of detergent bottles? Please and thank you sir.
Wooden acting and shoestring budgets? Can't get enough.
Costumes made from garbage bags? Gimmie some of that poo poo.
Monkeys dressed like robot dogs? Well of course, how else would you do that?

Robot Jox. Cherry 2000. Every odd-numbered Star Trek movie. HERE IS MY $5 MISTER MOVIE MAN SHOW ME TO MY SEAT.