Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s easier to kill people than it is to actually solve problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

cat botherer posted:

I really don't understand this conservative hard-on for executing/imprisoning the wrongfully accused. Just one of those situations where I can't put myself in their place well enough to understand their motivations. Is it really just to avoid making the justice system look weak?

The arguments, in this case specifically, were:

- There is a federal law (the AEDPA) that says that the federal government can only interfere in state death penalty cases in certain rare situations and with certain limitations. The constitution doesn't guarantee a right a new federal trial for a state case, so they are operating under the law as-is until congress changes it.

- The AEDPA states that federal appeals can only consider the evidence presented at the original trial unless it is an issue that violates the constitution.

- Having your legal counsel be negligent on one specific issue, but not overall, is not a constitutional violation when you yourself could have introduced or brought up the evidence at a following appeal. You can only get a total pass if your attorney is "constitutionally negligent."

- Allowing new evidence at federal appeals that was not available at state appeals would essentially create a third trial for federal judges in all of these cases and isn't justified unless there is a constitutional violation. If new evidence is not 100% definitive and not a constitutional violation, then it is up to the state to drop the charges. The state has chosen not to in this case.

The 3 liberal justices argument is basically just: "If your attorney was negligent enough to let this happen, then it is a violation of the 6th amendment right to effective counsel and all the other arguments are moot! It doesn't matter if the attorney did a good job with everything else."

Sotomayor straight up says the majority are lying about being bound by the AEDPA and that they are interpreting it in a wild way without context or consideration for two other major cases that established precedent for situations like this.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I fully admit I'm talking rainbow farting unicorns and eternal puppies land so it'll never happen in real life because of self interest.

That being said, when does it get so egregiously terrible that the liberal justices should just quit the courts and stop offering the proceedings the fig leaf of their completely irrelevant existence? They're not going to stop a single thing the Republicans want to happen by being there. All of that will happen, guaranteed. So why give it that cover? Just force everyone to admit what it is, a completely captured institution acting as an arm of one political party.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

cat botherer posted:

I really don't understand this conservative hard-on for executing/imprisoning the wrongfully accused. Just one of those situations where I can't put myself in their place well enough to understand their motivations. Is it really just to avoid making the justice system look weak?

I don't even think it's about not making the justice system weak, it's that the justice system is set up so if that guy had a bad lawyer the system considers it his own drat fault. Reading through that the ruling seems to be that if the state proves you're guilty with the evidence on hand it's not an extreme failing of the court if later evidence that wasn't submitted suggests you're innocent. This does seem to conflict horribly with the whole "innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt" since the induction of new evidence casts suspicion on the idea the jury could rule beyond reasonable doubt. But the ruling seems to be that it works good enough and he's guilty enough to kill.

But I'm neither a lawyer or a judge.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

That being said, when does it get so egregiously terrible that the liberal justices should just quit the courts and stop offering the proceedings the fig leaf of their completely irrelevant existence? They're not going to stop a single thing the Republicans want to happen by being there. All of that will happen, guaranteed. So why give it that cover? Just force everyone to admit what it is, a completely captured institution acting as an arm of one political party.

I've got this question as well. It's very clear that this Supreme court is going to do everything it can to unwind every civil right it can get its hands on. Just saying "oh well, ok" isn't an option.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is CPAC being in Hungary this year just a one-off, or is it permanently going to be there? Have they ditched Maryland for good?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bar Ran Dun posted:

As is language that equates the liberals and the fascists.

We should be framing everyone as against the fascists / revolutionary romantics.

Why? From what I've seen most liberal political parties and groups aren't against them. They consider them important and necessary parts of the political structure that exists. If they believed otherwise they would be doing more than simply saying that there is nothing that can legally be done. Power, ultimately, matters as much as the rule of law and sometimes one must grab the first to prevent the entire destruction of the second.

What is the Liberal apparatus doing to prevent the end of various rights in the USA? What is the plan and how is it being implemented?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Interesting how AEDPA, a law that the current SCOTUS likes, is ironclad and has no holes in it, but other laws like the Civil Rights Act, not so much

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Historical anachronism . We are burdened with an already existing system that carries the choices of the past in its structure.

No, not simply a "historical anachronism" but a definining trait of the system. America wasn't a democracy when it was founded, when women couldn't vote, when black people couldn't vote, etc. It may have become more democratic by extending the franchise but "Hey, your vote is worth less than this guy's" still makes it very much Not A Democracy.

quote:

There’s a reason federalism went out of fashion and why it’s bad when other countries copy the US system. But it isn’t arbitrary, it still functions within its own rules (though just barely now.)

I didn't claim it was arbitrary. I claimed it wasn't representative, which it isn't, and I claimed it was not a democracy, which it also isn't. It's own rules make it so. It was never intended to be either.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zwabu posted:

Is CPAC being in Hungary this year just a one-off, or is it permanently going to be there? Have they ditched Maryland for good?

The 2022 conference was held on February 24 to 27 in Orlando, Florida.

It being in Hungary is a one-off separate from the traditional conferences. Here is more information regarding CPAC/Hungary's current political climate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YuZPT1NzM

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

As is language that equates the liberals and the fascists.

We should be framing everyone as against the fascists / revolutionary romantics.

this becomes difficult when liberals are openly arguing 'sometimes you have to arm the fascists, in order to achieve mutal short term political goals'

if your goal is to oppose fascism as a political movement, the people who say 'yeah but these particular fascists need more weapons' are not your allies, and pretending otherwise is a great way for both of you to end up on the business side of fascist guns.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

I didn't claim it was arbitrary. I claimed it wasn't representative, which it isn't, and I claimed it was not a democracy, which it also isn't.

Our elections currently still have real consequences that directly affect our lives. Someone’s those consequences are lovely. The point where this isn’t true is with in sight. But we aren’t there yet. And preemptively declaring we are accelerates us toward that point.

Josef bugman posted:

What is the Liberal apparatus doing to prevent the end of various rights in the USA? What is the plan and how is it being implemented?

Yeah they’re loving up not going to disagree. We seem to be unable to make necessary changes. Our system will either find a way try o do so or die. There are much worse potential futures if it does fail.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The arguments, in this case specifically, were:

- There is a federal law (the AEDPA) that says that the federal government can only interfere in state death penalty cases in certain rare situations and with certain limitations. The constitution doesn't guarantee a right a new federal trial for a state case, so they are operating under the law as-is until congress changes it.

- The AEDPA states that federal appeals can only consider the evidence presented at the original trial unless it is an issue that violates the constitution.

- Having your legal counsel be negligent on one specific issue, but not overall, is not a constitutional violation when you yourself could have introduced or brought up the evidence at a following appeal. You can only get a total pass if your attorney is "constitutionally negligent."

- Allowing new evidence at federal appeals that was not available at state appeals would essentially create a third trial for federal judges in all of these cases and isn't justified unless there is a constitutional violation. If new evidence is not 100% definitive and not a constitutional violation, then it is up to the state to drop the charges. The state has chosen not to in this case.

The 3 liberal justices argument is basically just: "If your attorney was negligent enough to let this happen, then it is a violation of the 6th amendment right to effective counsel and all the other arguments are moot! It doesn't matter if the attorney did a good job with everything else."

Sotomayor straight up says the majority are lying about being bound by the AEDPA and that they are interpreting it in a wild way without context or consideration for two other major cases that established precedent for situations like this.

I thought Scalia already argued this in the Troy Davis case.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Oracle posted:

I thought Scalia already argued this in the Troy Davis case.

He basically did, but he didn't have enough votes before, so they just didn't hear the habeas writ. His ghost does now, so they made the full Scalia argument into a ruling.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 23, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

this becomes difficult when liberals are openly arguing 'sometimes you have to arm the fascists, in order to achieve mutal short term political goals'

if your goal is to oppose fascism as a political movement, the people who say 'yeah but these particular fascists need more weapons' are not your allies, and pretending otherwise is a great way for both of you to end up on the business side of fascist guns.

Is anyone in this thread actually saying that Ukrainian fascists need more weapons? You used quotation marks, so someone's saying that, right?

I argued that Ukraine should be provided weapons, and would even go so far to say that I would rather tolerate a small fraction of them reaching the hands of the Azov battalion than not provide weapons to Ukraine at all. It's much better if there is a way to arm Ukraine without arming Azov at all, obviously.

That's pretty different from "these particular fascists need more weapons"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There are much worse potential futures if it does fail.

There are also better ones. If you believe that this is the best everything can be then I can only say that you are wrong.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

What are you referring to?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is anyone in this thread actually saying that Ukrainian fascists need more weapons? You used quotation marks, so someone's saying that, right?

I argued that Ukraine should be provided weapons, and would even go so far to say that I would rather tolerate a small fraction of them reaching the hands of the Azov battalion than not provide weapons to Ukraine at all. It's much better if there is a way to arm Ukraine without arming Azov at all, obviously.

That's pretty different from "these particular fascists need more weapons"

pardon: would you accept 'willing to support arming fascists in the name of accomplishing mutual short term goals' as a characterization of your position?

in a perfect world you wouldn't do it, of course, but you understand we have to pragmatically compromise with the right wing in the name of Getting Something Done, and in this case that pragmatic compromise includes arming nazis?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

pardon: would you accept 'willing to support arming fascists in the name of accomplishing mutual short term goals' as a characterization of your position?

in a perfect world you wouldn't do it, of course, but you understand we have to pragmatically compromise with the right wing in the name of Getting Something Done, and in this case that pragmatic compromise includes arming nazis?

No, I wouldn't say that.

I'm not suggesting deliberately arming Nazis. I am saying I can tolerate a small fraction of weapons reaching the hands of the Azov battalion, because the alternative seems to be not providing Ukraine any weapons and letting Russia steamroll them. If there's an option to support Ukraine and have no chance of weapons reaching Azov I'm all ears.

Are you aware of such an option?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Ah.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

No, I wouldn't say that.

I'm not suggesting deliberately arming Nazis. I am saying I can tolerate a small fraction of weapons reaching the hands of the Azov battalion, because the alternative seems to be not providing Ukraine any weapons and letting Russia steamroll them. If there's an option to support Ukraine and have no chance of weapons reaching Azov I'm all ears.

Are you aware of such an option?

you are not suggesting deliberately arming nazis, merely deliberately taking actions as a result of which you know nazis will be armed, as a regrettably necessary way to accomplish your short term political goals.

can you see why someone would consider this a distinction without a difference.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

you are not suggesting deliberately arming nazis, merely deliberately taking actions as a result of which you know nazis will be armed, as a regrettably necessary way to accomplish your short term political goals.

I see Ukraine being forcibly annexed by a fascist Russia as a greater evil than a small number of Ukrainian fascists ending up with weapons.

There are fascists on both sides of this conflict: there is an aggressor which is a fascist state (dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, etc.) and there is the victim in this conflict which has some fascist elements in its military.

From my position, the lesser evil is quite clear.

I believe your stance, from earlier conversations, is that you would prefer a Russian victory, which would be a much lager win for fascism, in my opinion. The fact that you support it through inaction does not change the outcome. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have the patience to scroll through your old posts.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Gentlemen, if you have that fundamental of a difference you may have to agree to disagree rather than bringing an argument from the U/R thread here.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This gives everyone posting way too much power. The US government has decided that right wing fascists potentially getting weapons is a necessary risk and have not given anyone else much of a say in the matter. You should both just be mad that the only options presented are we run the risk of giving weapons to fascists or we do nothing at all.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Federally elected Democrats once again proving their intent in protecting bodily autonomy their own butts as well as their fundraising hook.

House Dems shun primary fight against anti-abortion incumbent:

quote:

House Democrats have vowed to do whatever it takes to protect abortion rights. But there’s one step many don’t want to consider.

Only a handful of them have endorsed the primary challenger running against Democratic Rep. Henry Cuellar — their only colleague who opposes codifying Roe v. Wade into law — in a Tuesday runoff in Texas. And as dozens of House Democrats gathered on the Capitol steps earlier this month to rally support for abortion rights, they really didn’t want to talk about why.

“I don’t have anything to say about that,” said Rep. Andy Levin (D-Mich.).

“We’ll let the voters decide. I don’t have a comment,” added Rep. Ann Kuster (D-N.H.).

“Henry’s a valued member and people vote their conscience,” said Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-Pa.).

Party leaders’ continued support for Cuellar — he has Pelosi’s endorsement, and House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn campaigned for Cuellar in Texas recently — has infuriated progressive organizations. But most progressives in Congress say they are, this time, sticking with their caucus’ unspoken rule on steering clear of incumbent’s primary contests.

“I admire her candidacy and her courage but I as a practical matter stay out usually when there’s a colleague involved,” said Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.), who won his own seat in 2016 by challenging, for a second consecutive election, then-Rep. Mike Honda (D-Calif.).

Yet two years ago, Khanna backed now-Rep. Marie Newman (D-Ill.) in her primary challenge against another anti-abortion Democrat: then-Rep. Dan Lipinski. The difference, Khanna said, is that he recalled from his time in the Obama administration that Lipinski was a “a vociferous opponent” of the Affordable Care Act.

“In general, you don’t see people endorse against colleagues,” added Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Wis.), another senior progressive in Congress. “I don’t think it’s so much a statement on any candidate as it is informally how this place operates.”

Pocan acknowledged that he also had endorsed against then-incumbent Lipinski: “I had met Marie and talked to her a number of times before I made that decision,” he said, noting he hadn’t heard from Cisneros’ campaign.

Even Newman has declined to formally support Cisneros, citing her desire to remain focused on her own competitive primary next month against a colleague, Rep. Sean Casten (D-Ill.). “I haven’t endorsed anybody,” Newman said, adding, “But I love her. And I want her to win desperately.”

And Newman expressed anger that the party institutions were propping up the incumbent: “I’m very disappointed in leadership’s support of Mr. Cuellar.”

:qq: to Marie et al.

State Democrats, abortion-rights activists 'incredibly frustrated' with federal inaction:

quote:

“I’m incredibly frustrated with the Biden administration in particular for not doing more on this issue,” said Mallory Schwarz, executive director of Pro-Choice Missouri, whose state is poised to ban all abortions as soon as Roe is overturned. “The idea that the federal government — when they have majorities — is waiting for an election in order to take action is cowardice.”

Democratic inaction at the federal level could complicate the party’s efforts to run this fall as champions of reproductive rights, and the internal strife comes at a moment when party strategists are hoping to gin up enthusiasm for congressional candidates.

The long odds against sweeping federal action before November are forcing members of Congress and national reproductive-rights groups to concede that state and local action is their best and possibly only option — even if it means tens of millions of people could be left without access to abortion.

Even with the Senate deadlocked, advocates like Miller say there is more the Biden administration could be doing to support access to abortion, including new FDA guidance preventing states from restricting access to abortion pills, stronger HIPAA protections to shield the medical information of abortion patients and stronger enforcement of Obamacare’s contraception mandate.

The White House has repeatedly said President Biden is waiting for the final Supreme Court ruling before making major policy announcements.

A White House official told POLITICO on Friday that while the administration is “looking at what we can do if Roe is overturned,” officials are aware “that nothing we can do would fill the gap that Roe leaves, which is why the president believes we need to pass legislation. And in order to pass legislation, we need pro-choice elected officials, and so we will be highlighting the stakes there this November.”

“Far too many Democrats are still treating this like politics as usual and a political fundraising and mobilization tool and not the human rights crisis that it is. And I understand how important it is to win elections, believe me,” said Kellie Copeland, executive director of Pro-Choice Ohio. “I also understand that it’s not politics alone that’s going to save us.”

Elected officials and activists who support abortion rights in red and purple states are trying to fill the vacuum — hoping to block the restrictions already imposed and under consideration by petitioning their states’ supreme courts to recognize a constitutional right to abortion, putting the issue before voters, or both.

While these officials and abortion-rights groups remain committed to defeating GOP candidates at the ballot box, resentment around Democratic inaction in Washington could undermine the party’s efforts to ride the Supreme Court’s ruling to victory this fall.

“The number of people that are going to continue to be harmed over the subsequent months between now and August or now and November is going to be innumerable, and there are actions they can take now,” Schwarz said. “I’m not sure what the holdup is.”

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

There are also better ones. If you believe that this is the best everything can be then I can only say that you are wrong.

The most likely outcome of the current US system failing is an actually fascist authoritarian US state.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Gumball Gumption posted:

This gives everyone posting way too much power. The US government has decided that right wing fascists potentially getting weapons is a necessary risk and have not given anyone else much of a say in the matter. You should both just be mad that the only options presented are we run the risk of giving weapons to fascists or we do nothing at all.

Even this is terrible framing. The US is giving arms to Ukraine. Unless you think the government and the people defending themselves from the Russian invasion are mostly fascists please stop referring to these skewed terms. Ceding that Ukraine will likely arm its military, which includes fascists, is not the same as directly arming fascists. The country directly arming fascists in this scenario is Russia, which is notorious for directly funding right-wing groups all over the world, much like the US has done in the past with horrific results to show for it.

Koos Group posted:

Gentlemen, if you have that fundamental of a difference you may have to agree to disagree rather than bringing an argument from the U/R thread here.

it's not a fundamental disagreement, it's one person who appears to favor Ukraine disarming and becoming part of fascist Russia characterizing aiding their defense as being pro-nazi and then labeling anyone who supports them defending themselves as also pro-nazi. it's disingenuous and should be probed but here we are. The light hand applied to this level of discourse poisoning is part of a more significant problem.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

What a vapid, stupid, stupid argument. "Political goals"? Russia is attempting to conquer Ukraine and install a puppet authoritarian government while murdering and raping civilians and bombing the country to oblivion. No sensible government would scuttle an experienced fighting force just because a large segment of them are far right if your literal statehood is on the line. You'd probably be the first hiding behind Azov Nazis while they shoot at Russian soldiers trying to kill you. And this is not criticism of what many of us would do, just pointing out that posts like this are deeply stupid.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

Federally elected Democrats once again proving their intent in protecting bodily autonomy their own butts as well as their fundraising hook.

House Dems shun primary fight against anti-abortion incumbent:

:qq: to Marie et al.

State Democrats, abortion-rights activists 'incredibly frustrated' with federal inaction:
Yes I agree with those activists. There is zero reason to wait for the ruling before taking action.

I’m glad that they also see the Dem leadership is treating the impending death of Roe as another fundraising boon. Because it absolutely disgusts me and it’s just another example of why this party is doomed, and will probably doom us all to authoritarian rule.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

it's not a fundamental disagreement, it's one person who appears to favor Ukraine disarming and becoming part of fascist Russia characterizing aiding their defense as being pro-nazi and then labeling anyone who supports them defending themselves as also pro-nazi. it's disingenuous and should be probed but here we are. The light hand applied to this level of discourse poisoning is part of a more significant problem.

While Mr. Balls' position would appear to have flaws that open it up to criticism, the criticism thus far has been arguments most of us have seen before about a subject that is outside the scope of this thread. That is why I'd prefer discussion to move on.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

small butter posted:

What a vapid, stupid, stupid argument. "Political goals"? Russia is attempting to conquer Ukraine and install a puppet authoritarian government while murdering and raping civilians and bombing the country to oblivion. No sensible government would scuttle an experienced fighting force just because a large segment of them are far right if your literal statehood is on the line. You'd probably be the first hiding behind Azov Nazis while they shoot at Russian soldiers trying to kill you. And this is not criticism of what many of us would do, just pointing out that posts like this are deeply stupid.

as we've already seen, when you arm nazis, the first use of those arms is not fighting the enemies of liberalism, it is allowing the nazis to purge their territory of Undesirables. as a result, some of us view arming fascists as a non-starter. others of us are willing to pragmatically write those victims off, because they consider armed fascists a lesser evil.

as I was saying to Bar Ran Dun originally: this is important information to keep in mind, if you are trying to oppose the rise of fascism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The most likely outcome of the current US system failing is an actually fascist authoritarian US state.

The increasingly fascist behavior of the US system is there to keep the system running, not something that occurs in its absence

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The increasingly fascist behavior of the US system is there to keep the system running, not something that occurs in its absence

Controls don’t work the way you think they do. An erratic system wildly swinging back and forth is an undamped one, uncontrolled and indicating potential catastrophic failure.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

More troubles for Cawthorn

https://twitter.com/ryanobles/status/1528801416512405504?s=21&t=PlgjxgqHzvsaCoKfHvXYBQ

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

cat botherer posted:

It's an inherently violent ideology. That's it.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Controls don’t work the way you think they do. An erratic system wildly swinging back and forth is an undamped one, uncontrolled and indicating potential catastrophic failure.

It hasn't swung wildly back and forth, though. Overall it's moved in a pretty straight line

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cat botherer posted:

You'd think it would fly in the face of all the Jesus' teachings they like to claim they base their lives on but all they've read is "An Eye for an Eye". It's just vengeance, punishment and pretending to be on god's side and thinking that's what he'd want. They have a real hard on for the death penalty,which has always struck me as odd given how much they like to rail about the power of the government.

I don't pretend to understand and, by and large, don't care for religious people. At least the aggressive vocal ones.

I wish I believed in all that Jesus Will Rise poo poo just to be able to hope to see the look on their faces when he explains that none of this is what he had in mind and they have all failed him while they stare up at all the poor people rising up into heaven as the world and their money burns all around them.

But you know what? Deep down most of them know Christ isn't returning and very few of them really believe in any of it. They don't behave like they do and we can see it by their actions. It's just easier to be a greedy rear end in a top hat if you spray on a lot of god cologne to mask the scent of what you're really about.

E:

Also, it disproportionately effects black people and minorities

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 23, 2022

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Our elections currently still have real consequences that directly affect our lives. Someone’s those consequences are lovely. The point where this isn’t true is with in sight. But we aren’t there yet. And preemptively declaring we are accelerates us toward that point.

Yes, your elections have consequences, and they always have had. That doesn't make them democratic elections any more then an U.S. election was democratic in the year 1800, and the makeup of the Congress is not representative.

The mere existence of elections does not make a country a representative democracy. Russia has elections.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

DarkCrawler posted:

Yes, your elections have consequences, and they always have had. That doesn't make them democratic elections any more then an U.S. election was democratic in the year 1800, and the makeup of the Congress is not representative.

The mere existence of elections does not make a country a representative democracy. Russia has elections.

Do you think the quality of Russian elections and US elections are currently equivalent? I do not think that aligns with reality. While the US elections are hardly as good as they could be or should be in all locations, comparing it to Russian elections seems like a bit of a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Do you think the quality of Russian elections and US elections are currently equivalent? I do not think that aligns with reality. While the US elections are hardly as good as they could be or should be in all locations, comparing it to Russian elections seems like a bit of a stretch.

No, they're not equivalent. Russia's are worse. Neither are democratic.