Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
It probably would've worked during the Attitude Era when the crowd went nuts for pretty much anything, especially if the Rock or Austin were involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Zombie Lemur posted:

It probably would've worked during the Attitude Era when the crowd went nuts for pretty much anything, especially if the Rock or Austin were involved.

yea, the problem with the spot they tried was that the Rock hadn't been really relevant to wrestling for over twelve years at that point. It may as well have been Bob Backlund coming back and telling people not to boo face Shawn Michaels in the new gen. Wasn't gonna matter.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Thinking about Takeshita on his American excursion, I was wondering who are some of the wrestlers most fluent in their non-native laguage? My first thought was Drew Parker in Big Japan, but then I remembered Cesaro doing English promos for nearly 20 years at this point

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SG Bamboo posted:

Thinking about Takeshita on his American excursion, I was wondering who are some of the wrestlers most fluent in their non-native laguage? My first thought was Drew Parker in Big Japan, but then I remembered Cesaro doing English promos for nearly 20 years at this point

Kevin Owens.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Good point, didn't even think about French speaking Canadians

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CommonShore posted:

Every wrestler except Riho and Mick Foley are bad.

Titus O'Neil is one of the nicest guys in the industry and way too good for the WWE.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CommonShore posted:

Yoga exercises are fine and good in and of themselves but I can't handle the pseudoscience and woo that permeates the entire scene. Plus there's quite a few scammers and sex pests in yoga, too. Bikram of Bikram Hot Yoga being another.

The longest I ever got into yoga was when I found an instructor who only talked about physiology and nothing about "energy" or "spirit", using words like "effort" or "focus" instead.

See, you are the person DDP Yoga is aimed at. He talks about isometric resistance and engaging muscles more than anything else.

Hell, the first version of DDP Yoga was called YRG (Yoga for Regular Guys)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SG Bamboo posted:

Yeah, Cesaro is fluent in like 5 or 6 languages.

Jason Lee's native language is Cantonese, but he speaks both Japanese & English fluently and has done commentary in both languages multiple times.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SG Bamboo posted:

I remember Taka cutting decently fluent promos in english

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Defenestrategy posted:

I remember Taka cutting decently fluent promos in english

Indeed.

gently caress that was such a shitshow of a gimmick.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

yea, the problem with the spot they tried was that the Rock hadn't been really relevant to wrestling for over twelve years at that point. It may as well have been Bob Backlund coming back and telling people not to boo face Shawn Michaels in the new gen. Wasn't gonna matter.

But what if it was SPORTS EDUCATION Bob Backlund?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
What's up with all the Marvel Themed matches whenever I watch AAA?

I thought it was like a one-time thing the first triplemania I watched, but then it seems to keep popping up everytime I check out AAA

also Mr Iguana loving rules

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Edit: Wrong thread!

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 21, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

John Cena speaks fluent Mandarin apparently?

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Hirez posted:

What's up with all the Marvel Themed matches whenever I watch AAA?

I thought it was like a one-time thing the first triplemania I watched, but then it seems to keep popping up everytime I check out AAA

also Mr Iguana loving rules

I'm not the best person to answer this question, but AFAIK, Marvel has licensed their characters in Mexico AS luchadores. All of the characters wrestling are advertised on tv and have action figures and stuff you can buy.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

The Taxman posted:

I'm not the best person to answer this question, but AFAIK, Marvel has licensed their characters in Mexico AS luchadores. All of the characters wrestling are advertised on tv and have action figures and stuff you can buy.

Basically this. Marvel and AAA made a deal to have Marvel Superhero-inspired gimmicks. They are treated as bottom of the card entertainment. The casting isn’t consistent from show to show and the wrestlers usually work a second match in their normal gimmick from what I remember. Remember the KFC commercial where he beats up The Miz? It’s basically a step above that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The costumes are so budget too. I couldn't stop laughing for the entire match after Hulk (fez_machine's avatar) busted through the "brick" wall.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I was in a wal mart the other day and saw Funko Pops based on the marvel luchadors. Didn’t buy em.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

fez_machine posted:

John Cena speaks fluent Mandarin apparently?

I showed a clip of him speaking Mandarin to some Chinese friends, and they all agreed that, except for when he says English words, he can pass for being fluent.

Edit: Probably no-brainer but Kenny Omega’s very fluent in Japanese.

finalcake fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 21, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

At some point by his own admission, TAKA was apparently more comfortable communicating in Spanish than he was in Japanese.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sticklefifer posted:

The costumes are so budget too. I couldn't stop laughing for the entire match after Hulk (fez_machine's avatar) busted through the "brick" wall.

El furioso! El furioso IN DA HOUUUUUUUSSSSEEE

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Why does pudding brain JR refer to Ricky Starks as Ricky Stocks? It's obvious that he's doing it intentionally and it sounds like he means it as an insult but what's he talking about?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Why does pudding brain JR refer to Ricky Starks as Ricky Stocks? It's obvious that he's doing it intentionally and it sounds like he means it as an insult but what's he talking about?

I believe it's supposed to be New Orleans accent

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think he's joking with Taz about his NY accent

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the answer

JR is weird

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That's why he's a commentator!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I assume that anyone who would work with Vince McMahon for multiple decades has major personality issues.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I assume that anyone who would work with Vince McMahon for multiple decades has major personality issues.

All bosses of rich companies in America are like Vince. We over here trying to get paid OP. We can't be choosey about which crazy boss we endure

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Maybe similar but I've worked for some pretty bad bosses and none of them chased me around with doodoo pants.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There are lots of evil rich men but very few who get to cover up murders, drug distribution, and child molestation rings.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

There are lots of evil rich men but very few who get to cover up murders, drug distribution, and child molestation rings.

That you know of

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Inspired by the recent OSW episode:

Why is a wrestler without kneepads so jarring and seem so naked?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

very long unbroken area of nude skin

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There's something really unsavoury about it and I don't like it

And I love Minoru Suzuki too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

Inspired by the recent OSW episode:

Why is a wrestler without kneepads so jarring and seem so naked?

its because they're perverts

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ah!!!!

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I remember that scene from yakuza

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Watching people wrestle without knee pads makes my knees hurt, as an old man who is already falling apart without the accelerating effects of landing my body weight on my knees for a living.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

As a dude that loved old Japanese MMA, I absolutely adored this match. Thanks for reminding me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

That man in the white trunks looks like Sméagol.