Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't think I'll ever get tired of the story of Jake, Jill, and Tucker

I forget when this came up but I what I love most about it is, because Tucker is a joke that only normally came up on Patreon stuff, the first time it was off handedly mentioned in a regular episode that Jake's wife was sleeping with a generally better man, a whole load of people very genuinely asked in the comments if Jake was okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I was in tears with Jesus take the hose.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
"I've only seen Shrek on Ice." - Jake Hurwitz

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Aabria had such great chemistry with the cast, I hope her guest spot here means she’ll be doing a guest spot in the campaign.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
8BBC is back...in the NADDPOD feed?!

I am super behind on the current campaign.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

KingShiro posted:

8BBC is back...in the NADDPOD feed?!

I am super behind on the current campaign.

Just a quick scheduled break from the campaign because they're currently doing a live show tour in the UK right now. They posted this on their Patreon in early April:

Friday (4/22) - C3 Ep. 9 / Short Rest

Thursday (4/28) - D&D Court / Bonus Cases

Thursday (5/5) - C3 Ep. 10 / Short Rest

Thursday (5/12) - 8 Bit Book Club / Bonus Content

Thursday (5/19) - C3 Ep. 11 / Short Rest

Thursday (5/26) - D&D Court / Bonus Cases

radlum
May 13, 2013
My DM recommended this podcast to be; I wasn’t sure I’ll like it since I didn’t care much for his previous D&D recs. I was surprised how much I loved NADDPOD; it has such a great balance between plot and goofs, paired with great DMing and endearing and hilarious characters.

However, I’m close to the final episodes and I can see how they were dragging the plot to get to episode 100…and how it ended up putting the last part of the campaign on the early days of lockdowns.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

One thing I'm realizing I appreciate about naddpod, on a skill level, is how they manage to make the podcast rowdy and goofy, while still basically respecting and adhering to the rules of D&D. The other AP podcasts I listen to (rude tales, dungeons and daddies, dragon friends) are all very open about how frequently they just throw the rulebook in the garbage if it interferes with whatever fun thing they're trying to do (which I'm 100% behind, personally), but I feel like naddpod usually manages to square their bullshit with the actual game mechanics and that's pretty impressive to do, while still remaining as wild and funny as those other podcasts are.

Especially since a bunch of rules that allegedly tell you what you are and aren't allowed to do are simply a creative prompt for Emily to do something weird and ridiculous

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

NADDPOD's name is real funny to me, since I think it's the most D&D podcast I've listened to (in a good way, in this case). The initial campaign was very much just the archetypal 1-20 D&D game, starting with kobolds, jumping between planes as they level up, and ending with fighting gods (not to mention the tarrasque, deck of many things, etc).

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I've always taken the title to mean the exasperating read of the phrase (i.e. oh god not another D&D podcast).

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I was entirely unprepared for the sheer volume of content on the Patreon RSS feed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HoboTech posted:

I was entirely unprepared for the sheer volume of content on the Patreon RSS feed.

It's a great value yeah; the short rests are often as funny as the main feed episodes (my favorites are the ones where they get fixated on some completely wild gag, like the woman in the wall) and for the weeks where they do d&d court, you just get a full on second episode, which rules, I can't really get enough of those ones. It already owns that naddpod has a weekly release schedule, so it's ambitious and cool of them to do weekly bonus episodes at the $5 tier on top of that, definitely the most bang for the buck of any live play patreon i've seen so far.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's a great value yeah; the short rests are often as funny as the main feed episodes (my favorites are the ones where they get fixated on some completely wild gag, like the woman in the wall) and for the weeks where they do d&d court, you just get a full on second episode, which rules, I can't really get enough of those ones. It already owns that naddpod has a weekly release schedule, so it's ambitious and cool of them to do weekly bonus episodes at the $5 tier on top of that, definitely the most bang for the buck of any live play patreon i've seen so far.

Honestly what made me finally do it and pay the sub, despite having listened since the beginning of NADDPOD, is the return episode of 8 Bit Book Club. If they keep making those they'll keep getting my money. Also I kind of slid off in Eldermourne, but with C3 they've returned to surmounting Critical Role as my favorite "listen to people roleplay" podcast.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

D&D Court is always a highlight when it hits my feed, clearly I need to get on the Patreon for more

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I feel like this next episode is going to be very absurd. Everyone is close to dead and surrounded.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Time for Ageless One Ryan Urphy to ride in and save the day.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Time for Ageless One Ryan Urphy to ride in and save the day.

Was Ryan Urphy a short rest bit? Worth the cost of a patreon subscription on its own imo

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The D&D Court bonus episodes are particularly fun because they have that already unhinged Short Rest energy as well as the completely unhinged D&D court energy.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i don't remember if it was a regular ep or a short rest but the phrase "a guy with a boner trying to kick a rat" has stuck with me for well over a month at this point

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kidcoelacanth posted:

i don't remember if it was a regular ep or a short rest but the phrase "a guy with a boner trying to kick a rat" has stuck with me for well over a month at this point

gently caress what ep was that in again? It's also been stuck in my mind and I genuinely forgot if it was this podcast or Dungeons and Daddies that planted it

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I wasn't 100% on board with that ruling because I kinda thought the crazed cultists would be mostly indifferent at the sight of a rat, relative to the demonic blood orgy going on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
oh gently caress guys it's happening

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeAG98ip-Z0/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=5e102671-388f-4665-8915-41fa765eb33b

ANI-MURPHS

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm amped

for animorphs specifically yes, but also for the semi-return of 8BB, that podcast was great. But I also get why they stopped, as i assume it left them with very little time to read good books and that couldn't be good for your brain

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

My name is Brian Murphy and I’m a finch

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can't tell you my real name

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That picture fits what I'd expect of each of them if I imagined the situation (or any situation, really), since Jake seems like he's just doing it for the sake of it and more invested in everyone else's reactions, Murph is engrossed but restrained and both Emily and Caldwell seem like they're loving the poo poo out of it.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I think Animorphs is at least a 16-bit book tbh.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I hope they read one of the insanely violent ones

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I hope they read one of the insanely violent ones

if they really are reading the lizard one I do believe that one goes buck wild in places

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Looks like they're going to be alternating between campaign episodes and 8-Bit Book Club/Dungeon Court episodes at least through the summer:

quote:

June Posting Schedule!
Hey, NADDpoles! Got a quick update for you all. We’re sticking with the same posting schedule from May for the rest of the Summer. Here’s what you have to look forward to in June!

Thursday (6/2) - C3 - Ep 12 / Short Rest

Thursday (6/9) - 8 Bit Book Club: Animorphs “The Invasion” / Animorphs Wiki Wander

Thursday (6/16) - C3 - Ep 13 / Short Rest

Thursday (6/23) - D&D Court / Bonus Cases

Thursday (6/30) - C3 - Ep 14 / Short Rest

We’ll continue this posting pattern of Campaign Ep / 8BBC / Campaign Ep / D&D Court from

then on.

Thanks for Listening! Thanks for Loving.

The 2 Crew

It's all entertaining stuff and it's probably hell trying to do weekly campaign episodes while they're touring so I'm certainly not complaining.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wasn't a huge fan of the few 8 Bit Book Club episodes I listened to (including, I think, 2 Sonic CYOA ones) but maybe Jake will be the missing ingredient to make it work for me. I hope/presume they do something besides Animorphs if they're going to keep it up at least, since I just have no familiarity with the books. That said, one episode a month I don't enjoy as much isn't a major hurdle, and, like the Trinnyvale stuff, I can just ignore that week if I really can't get down with them. I didn't even realize/remember they're touring again, since I'm about 4 episodes behind due to studying and poo poo taking up so much time until now, but that's a pretty solid plan in order to work around touring schedules, since they'd presumably have lots of time on flights and poo poo to read that can't really go into working on episodes.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I finished the first campaign and I'm amazed at how much I loved it and how they stuck the landing. Great podcast, great campaign.

I am already 6 episodes in the current campaign and I've yet to get much into Emily and Jake's characters, but Caldwell's was a great character from the start. The sidekick to a has-been Harry Potter is such a good idea for a character and he brings a goofiness that works plays to Caldwell's strenghts without feeling like "Beverly but a frog".

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I liked C3 already but "I aim for the medium pile of clothes." pushed it over the edge

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

goddamn, they were teasing this lineup on the podcast, and they weren't kidding

i hope they're able to record it for the rest of us

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know why, but Moonshine and Hardwon always look totally different from how I perceive them, and Beverly and Balnor are always perfect

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't know why, but Moonshine and Hardwon always look totally different from how I perceive them, and Beverly and Balnor are always perfect

The problem for me is that (mid campaign 1 spoilers) Hardwon in my mind is a yoked human with a long beard when canon dictates he's actually a slightly less yoked half-elf with a shorter beard. Although TBF I have vague memories of Murph granting him muscles and possibly even a longer beard at some point...?

The rest of the gang's usually spot on from fan/Caldwell depictions to my brain, especially Moonshine

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Idk why but every elf in my brain has green skin, Lotr, Green skin, eoin colfer, green skin, naddpod, you better believe they got green skin

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I mean he is a green teen

e: wrong character, i am humiliated. i don't see any reason why crick elves couldn't be green though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Problem with Hardwon is he looks DYEL.

This is how he should look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

Problem with Hardwon is he looks DYEL.