Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

i learned a new word this weekend: Derecho

one killed 9 people and caused a lot of damage in my province on saturday.

before it happened we had weather alerts go off on our phone so i phoned my father in law and told him he should stay in as he'd been planning on going out

"oh i'm used to the crazy thunderstorms we get in ontario, it'll be fine" :shepface:

i convinced him to stay in thankfully

anyhow, thinking about this tweet again:

e: not gonna link em all but weather network has a good video and a lot of tweets about it:
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/derecho-leaves-behind-nearly-1000-km-of-damage-fatalities-in-wake-ontario-quebec

These are crazy, I've never heard of these before either. I'm in utah so it seems like I shouldn't ever see one of these, so I look forward to having one destroy my city soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

cool thing about derecho's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_derecho_events

there were 8 of them between 1965 and 1990, and 7 of them in 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

cool thing about derecho's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_derecho_events

there were 8 of them between 1965 and 1990, and 7 of them in 2020

"we've got better at detecting them!" :pseudo:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I enjoyed the story but I really don't think anyone can take any real world lessons from it. The story of their failure to colonise a planet relies on the presence of an alien life form which infects them and is incurable. If it were trying to be more realistic it might have the colonists battling the environment alone. The alien life form is a bit of a deus ex machina in my view: "colonists try to settle a planet but the planet says No"

The story is good for describing the complexity of a completely closed environmental system and the difficulty of managing it, though. The ship itself is, to some extent, an analogy for earth. But that's only the first half of the book.

It successfully crack-pinged one of my friends. "there really isn't a way out, is there?"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

T-Paine posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for further climate doom reading? I'm in the middle of the water knife now (very good btw) and I've read silent spring, uninhabitable earth, The Once and Future World, Lean Logic, The Golden Spruce, and The Ends of the World. Got Cadillac Desert on order

im reading facing the anthropocene and theres just a short bit where it goes over how CFC's went down and its incredible how much of a near miss it was and how it could have been 100x worse had a different refrigerant been used lol

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

the cover image really isn't representative of the whole video :stare:

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

Man its been such a cool spring here in seattle that my plants arent growing for poo poo and now im just waiting for the tides to turn and just get burnt to a crisp

:smith::respek::smith:

my pollinator garden is really sad so far this year, only a few tiny blooms on spindly little stems. sometimes i'll go out to parks n such and see only 1 bumblebee in a huge bush laden with flowers and it's hard to enjoy nature without that creeping dread in the back of my skull.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Homeless Friend posted:

im reading facing the anthropocene and theres just a short bit where it goes over how CFC's went down and its incredible how much of a near miss it was and how it could have been 100x worse had a different refrigerant been used lol
Brannen talks about that in The Ends of the World, really highly recommended. It's incredible how close we came to frying the Ozone for good

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the nasa satellites used to record the ozone layer ignoring the data because they'd because they'd been programmed to if the recorded data that was too far out of expected values, assuming it was errors in measurements :discourse:

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oglethorpe posted:

the cover image really isn't representative of the whole video :stare:

props to the guy for walking up and pointing the camera down into the four or five story deep canyon full of destroyed buildings

kind of reminds me of this pic of soil erosion at point defiance I saw the other day

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

empty whippet box posted:

These are crazy, I've never heard of these before either. I'm in utah so it seems like I shouldn't ever see one of these, so I look forward to having one destroy my city soon.

we're all gonna get hammered with extreme weather events, half the fun is learning which ones will hit us

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

i keep thinking about one of my grade school science teachers, sometime around the late 90s, telling us during class that he didn't use non-stick cooking pans at home, because they were considered a miracle material by many, but were going to be the "asbestos of our time". that guy was cool.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Lmao jfc

T-Paine posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for further climate doom reading? I'm in the middle of the water knife now (very good btw) and I've read silent spring, uninhabitable earth, The Once and Future World, Lean Logic, The Golden Spruce, and The Ends of the World. Got Cadillac Desert on order

Too smart for our own good, Craig Dilworth.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

T-Paine posted:

Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut is pretty good.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Thanks y'all, I had a $50 gift card so I ordered 5 of these books. All used, natch. Also I flagellated my back with a cat o nine tales for 15 minutes to make up for ordering from amazon

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Raine posted:

if you really wanna cool down, put something cold under your armpits as well as your neck

it'll cool down your core body temperature pretty quick

when i was an EMT we had these neat little single-use cold packs that you squeeze to instantly make them cold (for emergencies like heat stroke we'd use 4 of them, one for each armpit and one on each side of the neck). i own a few boxes of them now, commercial versions are actually pretty easy to get from a pharmacy

Those ice packs usually contain ammonium nitrate, an explosive precursor, and stockpiling them will very likely have you added to a list.

Stockpiling ammonium nitrate and posting in this thread will be enough to get a one way ticket to a black site prison.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Does the black site have AC?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Marenghi posted:

Those ice packs usually contain ammonium nitrate, an explosive precursor, and stockpiling them will very likely have you added to a list.

Stockpiling ammonium nitrate and posting in this thread will be enough to get a one way ticket to a black site prison.

each box has 4 ice packs and i live in phoenix. i like my chances

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Most of us are probably already on some sort of list at this point and going by how many lists mass shooters are on and still so murder it's probably not a problem

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

two-time fee posted:

Lmao jfc

Too smart for our own good, Craig Dilworth.

Here's a link to Chapters 3 and 4, should help people decide if they wanna read the whole thing or not

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

T-Paine posted:

I can't recommend The End of Ice enough, it's by an experienced mountaineer and it's basically a moving story of one man coming to terms with the death of his hobby and through it climate disruption

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
“It’s possible to reach a place of acceptance and inner peace, while enduring the grief and suffering that are inevitable as the biosphere declines.”

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1528779669306081280

Mayor Dave posted:

I can't recommend The End of Ice enough, it's by an experienced mountaineer and it's basically a moving story of one man coming to terms with the death of his hobby and through it climate disruption

That's cool, I read The Will to Resist forever ago

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it’s not new, it’s from March. we probably discussed this already and that guy forgot. old hat

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

it’s not new, it’s from March. we probably discussed this already and that guy forgot. old hat

He probably forgot due to lead poisoning (alcohol for me if you're right)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-Paine posted:

He probably forgot due to lead poisoning (alcohol for me if you're right)

microplastics :unsmigghh:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
covid can cause memory loss, i don't think i've seen this brought up on the forums

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Cloks posted:

covid can cause memory loss, i don't think i've seen this brought up on the forums

what forums

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Marenghi posted:

after the OKC bombing they made it harder to buy truckloads of the stuff (in PA at least) what that means is you now have to take a couple hour class and a quick permit test down at the extension office.

I doubt they’ll be coming after you for your collection of ice packs.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Microfantastic!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cloks posted:

big scoop if true..

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazypoops posted:

Microfantastic!

:nutshot:

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Mayor Dave posted:

The End of Ice is great. Great writing, I mean. The content itself is purestrain psychic damage.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

has anyone read this book? I have it but haven’t cracked the ice yet.

The Lamentations of Zeno
A Novel
by Ilija Trojanow
Translated by Philip Boehm

https://www.versobooks.com/books/2099-the-lamentations-of-zeno

quote:

A literary fiction about climate disaster and a scientist imploding on a journey to the Antarctic
Zeno Hintermeier is a scientist working as a travel guide on an Antarctic cruise ship, encouraging the wealthy to marvel at the least explored continent and to open their eyes to its rapid degradation. It is a troubling turn in the life of an idealistic glaciologist. Now in his early sixties, Zeno bewails the loss of his beloved glaciers, the disintegration of his marriage, and the foundering of his increasingly irrelevant career. Troubled in conscience and goaded by the smug complacency of the passengers in his charge, he starts to plan a desperate gesture that will send a wake-up call to an overheating world.

The Lamentations of Zeno is an extraordinary evocation of the fragile and majestic wonders to be found at a far corner of the globe, written by a novelist who is a renowned travel writer. Poignant and playful, the novel recalls the experimentation of high-modernist fiction without compromising a limpid sense of place or the pace of its narrative. It is a portrait of a man in extremis, a haunting and at times irreverent tale that approaches the greatest challenge of our age—perhaps of our entire history as a species—from an impassioned human angle.

in climate fiction I read gun island. it had some nice parts but it kind of sucked.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

T-Paine posted:

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1528779669306081280

That's cool, I read The Will to Resist forever ago

its ok i wasn't using those iq points anyways

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

has anyone read this book? I have it but haven’t cracked the ice yet.

The Lamentations of Zeno
A Novel
by Ilija Trojanow
Translated by Philip Boehm

https://www.versobooks.com/books/2099-the-lamentations-of-zeno

in climate fiction I read gun island. it had some nice parts but it kind of sucked.

for some reason this reminded me of a book i loved as a teenager called towing jehovah, where god dies and his two mile long corpse falls into the ocean so they decide to tow it to the arctic to preserve it in a hollowed out iceberg

guess they wouldn't even bother trying now

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

I have a many-years old theory that Gen X is as bad as it is (being cargo cult boomers) because lead pollution peaked during their lives

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
like boomers are dumb as gently caress but they get rewarded and have always been rewarded for their behavior.

gen x got the ladder pulled up on them almost as badly as millennials but gen-x are like born again christianesque fervent true believer boomers

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

500excf type r posted:

like boomers are dumb as gently caress but they get rewarded and have always been rewarded for their behavior.

gen x got the ladder pulled up on them almost as badly as millennials but gen-x are like born again christianesque fervent true believer boomers

speaking as a "xillennial" idk about that, most genx i know were able to buy a house and build significant savings

but then again genx feels like the first generation where those of us that hosed around too much missed the boat and are extremely hosed now (but not as hosed as millennials and zoomers)

used to be you could "catch up" in your 40s and 50s but i don't see that happening now

e: doomsday threads continue converging, cool cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cold on a Cob posted:

speaking as a "xillennial" idk about that, most genx i know were able to buy a house and build significant savings

but then again genx feels like the first generation where those of us that hosed around too much missed the boat and are extremely hosed now (but not as hosed as millennials and zoomers)

used to be you could "catch up" in your 40s and 50s but i don't see that happening now

yeah, my partner was born in the late 70s and didn’t make the “proper” career/training moves before the 2008 recession and it really disadvantaged her. a whole lot of retail and little to do with her speciality. no house but at least the car is paid off!