Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, she sticks him with the kids in an attempt to get him to come around to the idea of eventually having some and he was extremely jealous of Ian Malcolm flirting with her.

They didn't share anything onscreen that's too intimate, but a romantic relationship was implied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Book Grant is a widower and Book Sattler is engaged to someone else who’s not mentioned outside of that fact.

Though in the book its also more a teacher/grad student situation I think, rather they being more like co-workers in the movie.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zoux posted:

Yeah, it's been a while for me too, but I recall that they were dating in the book but not in the movie? But maybe I have that backwards.

Pretty sure in the book she was always dating the guy she married in the third movie. The movie added the implied romance because Hollywood

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I thought the implication in the movie was they had dated but broken up, but were friendly/respectful.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm just shocked to learn that Laura Dern was only 23 when filming Jurassic Park.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently no one knows

Sounds like it was in the original script, and some scenes were shot, but most of it was cut and so there are a couple of odd references here and there.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Honestly given how big the gap between Indy and Marion is in Raiders (and it could have been worse given early script conversations we are now privy to) Jurassic Park feels right in line with Spielberg’s oeuvre

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DaveWoo posted:

I'm just shocked to learn that Laura Dern was only 23 when filming Jurassic Park.

that surprised me too. I would have sworn she was 30+ if you asked me a minute ago. I blame the 90s hair/wardrobe

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t think I’ve ever even questioned the fact that they were a couple in the first film. It is very odd to find out there’s a whole thing about people questioning it. Weird.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

that surprised me too. I would have sworn she was 30+ if you asked me a minute ago. I blame the 90s hair/wardrobe

It's the Mom Brand khaki shorts

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

STAC Goat posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever even questioned the fact that they were a couple in the first film. It is very odd to find out there’s a whole thing about people questioning it. Weird.

Whereas I'm the opposite but I read the book a few times before the movie came out

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

That seems to be a mistake. Laura Dern was born in '67, and Jurassic Park was released in '93. She would have been 26.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m tempted to rewatch it now because I wanna say they embrace in the first scene with Hammond. Besides the whole subplots about her wanting him to want kids and him being jealous of Malcolm. I dunno. It just never seemed in question to me.

I did not read the book though so I had no preexisting idea of their relationship.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Laura Dern is one of those people that just never looked that young. She was 17 or 18 in Smooth Talk and if you told me she was a CW standard "twenty something playing a teen" I'd have believed you

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Malcolm asks Grant when he’s talking about the next future ex-Mrs. Malcolm.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well if I missed it it's because I whenever the dinosaurs aren't on screen I'm thinking "Where are the dinosaurs. I wonder what the dinosaurs are doing right now"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

DC Murderverse posted:

drat straight, Guy Fieri is a national loving hero

If you're ever in a strange town in America, you can do a lot worse than checking to see if any of the local restaurants were ever on that show, and making a point of visiting them if they were.

Make fun of him for donkey sauce all you want, that was the single most useful show on Food Network.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now that the Nazis are back everyone on the internet is pretty much cool with furries, Juggalos and Guy Fieri.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Oh word, cool!

I'm afraid it wasn't great. It was barely horror and definitely leaned in to more of a Stranger Things kinda story. One story for the whole season.

I did like this one scene where they were fighting a shadow creature weak to light, and they fashioned improvised fantasy weapons out of lights--one girl wrapped xmas lights around her fists, another used a ring light as a shield, and another used a glowing stage magic orb as... a magic orb.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm coming up to the end of a s2 rewatch of The Office when I remembered about the super-fan episodes on Peacock. Are they worth bothering with, or are they just padding with no real extra entertainment? I won't go back and do s2 again now, but I might jump over for s3/4.

e: sounds like they're a good addition for fans, so I'll do that. Shame I can't find a changelist for the season I've just watched, maybe I'll circle back around again at some point.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 23, 2022

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
re: Jurassic Park and dinosaurs, don't forget that Attenborough's 5 night special Prehistoric Planet begins today on Apple

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Fringe didn't have me 100% yet near the end of season 1 but the last 2 episodes actually got me really in to the overarching plot.

And of course Lol followed by Massive Lol at the actor reveal/setting reveal in the final scene of the season finale :discourse:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

If you're ever in a strange town in America, you can do a lot worse than checking to see if any of the local restaurants were ever on that show, and making a point of visiting them if they were.

Make fun of him for donkey sauce all you want, that was the single most useful show on Food Network.

Which is how one of my favorite restaurants near me went from a 20 minute wait at all times to a 2-3 hour wait no mattter what time of day or day of the week. :(

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The places near me he visited are all terrible tourist fare instead of the real poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

Now that the Nazis are back everyone on the internet is pretty much cool with furries, Juggalos and Guy Fieri.

The key here is those two fandoms in general took a very aggressive, borderline violent stance against Nazis in their social group.

Guy Fieri is just a dude living his best life who doesn't hate anyone and sees it as his personal quest to officiate any gay weddings that will have him.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

isaboo posted:

re: Jurassic Park and dinosaurs, don't forget that Attenborough's 5 night special Prehistoric Planet begins today on Apple

Watched the first one last night. Enjoyed it greatly. I'll never figure out the dynamics of those Pterasaur wings though. That poo poo breaks my brain.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Looten Plunder posted:

Holy poo poo, Barry is firing on all cylinders now. These last two episodes have been crazy. I couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth in that (second) last scene. My jaw just kept getting progressively wider as the scene went on.
I just watched it and yeah, that scene ruled :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I guess they aren't expecting Three Busy Debras to get renewed? Because in the most recent episode everybody dies and Lemoncurd is destroyed by an asteroid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, maybe? I wouldn't expect them to hold true to that if they had the opportunity to make more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Second season of Ghost in the Shell 2045 hit Netflix today.

Questionable animation style choice aside, I enjoyed the first season so I'm looking forward to this season continuing the story. It was nice to hear the OG voice actors again.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
FBI's season finale got pulled, you can guess why (spoiler pulled from NBC News):
CBS has pulled the season finale of “FBI” in the wake of Tuesday’s deadly mass shooting because its storyline dealt with a school shooting.

The season four finale, “Prodigal Son,” had been due to air Tuesday night.

The synopsis of the pulled episode reads: “As the team investigates a deadly robbery that garnered a cache of automatic weapons for the killers, they discover one of the perps is a classmate of Jubal’s son, who is reluctant to cooperate with the case.”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
risky plotline to film anyway, don't usually go that long between mass school shootings, not sure when they thought their window would be or what limit on how recent one needs to be "too soon."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Currently watching an episode of The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch. No idea how much of it is fake/bullshit (likely a lot). Overall it plays like a really long form "found footage" movie designed to the question "So how did these guys end up becoming a pile of dismembered, radioactive skeletons?" Case in point on tonight's episode a high-powered "laser pointer" aimed at a point in the sky seemed to diffuse and split. So they decide to shoot a rocket at and through that point.

So, Devil's advocate, but if that weird area is some kind of alien ship or whatever and they shoot a rocket at it, isn't it likely that the aliens will, I dunno, shoot back? Or, y'know, mark our planet as being inhabited by warlike idiots who need to exterminated as part of intergalactic pest control.

My own theory stupid wild-rear end guess is that there are aliens around Skinwalker Ranch and they're filming a reality/prank show broadcast on galactic public access.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
100% fabricated

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Everyone posted:

So, Devil's advocate, but if that weird area is some kind of alien ship or whatever and they shoot a rocket at it, isn't it likely that the aliens will, I dunno, shoot back? Or, y'know, mark our planet as being inhabited by warlike idiots who need to exterminated as part of intergalactic pest control.

I don't know anything about the show you're watching besides it's on history channel so I'd say it was close to 100% bullshit if it comes
to aliens.

This channel actually has some other good videos on aliens, what it means we don't see any signs of them, what it would mean if we do, why there aren't any here etc but what you're thinking here is in line with the "dark forest" theory of the universe where basically any spacefaring civilization encountering another would be incentivized to just immediately obliterate the other as completely as they could to circumvent the myriad ways the same could happen to them if they don't strike first, against another civ having to make the same calculation. If that's the case, the only civs that don't die are the ones who make sure to not encounter or be detected by others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAUJYP8tnRE

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

So I guess they aren't expecting Three Busy Debras to get renewed? Because in the most recent episode everybody dies and Lemoncurd is destroyed by an asteroid.

Should check this out:

https://www.nobudge.com/videos/alyssa-learns-to-drive

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I know I'm 5 years late to the party but I'm finally watching Stranger Things, and can see why it's such a hit.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

feedmyleg posted:

100% fabricated

Your opinion or do you have evidence? Not being confrontational, just curious. I mean, I figure it's BS, too. I just don't know specifically in what ways it's BS.

Probably giving this a miss in the future. Ancient Aliens is stoopid and kind of racist ("Of course our earlier (dark-skinned) ancestors couldn't have done this without aliens, if we modern white people couldn't figure out how to do it.") but it has the occasional "Wouldn't it be cool if...?" bits among the science fan fiction and the show functions as a travelogue of "Wow, it'd be neat to do there!" places.

Hughmoris posted:

I know I'm 5 years late to the party but I'm finally watching Stranger Things, and can see why it's such a hit.

Stranger Things is another one like Game of Thrones. With each one I got maybe halfway through the first episode and just... never went back to it. I didn't dislike either show, I just never got into them.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 25, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Season 1? Yes. Absolutely knocked it out of the loving park in a big way from tremendous child actors, a rarity.

Season 2? Well, the passion is there it's just a bit...off.

Season 3? God drat they just do not get what made the show good and the great parts are few and far between.

Expectations for Season 4: Get lower every time more information comes out, like how they spend ~$30 mil per episode and some of them are movie length. God drat if there was ever a time for a disinterested exec to go "cut costs, this is absurd" it was for season 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought the show was just fine but I don't have any nostalgia for 80s stuff or Stephen King movies. I stopped watching after the Eleven sidequest episode in season 2 but I did plan to get back to it.