Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

Though Dresden probably wouldn't make any more "gently caress me" potion but he would make cooler potions.

You say that like that's not a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

We'd also have a 20 chapter dissertation on how exactly the magic works at Demonreach.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kchama posted:

You say that like that's not a good thing.

I actually don't. "Cooler" is a positive adjective.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

I actually don't. "Cooler" is a positive adjective.

My joke was that you said 'though', implying that the lack of gently caress Me potions would be bad. Sorry for being unclear.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I would like to again say that Gareth Hanrahan's Black Iron Legacy series is a great read. It initially centers on a Steam Punk city Guerdon ruled by Alchemists who want to keep it out of the Mad Godswar that is raging across the rest of the world. Things happen, the city ends up like West Berlin cut four ways and things get interesting.

The author was only contracted for a trilogy, but is working on a fourth book. Will it have an ending? Who knows. It's worth a read.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Oh poo poo I didn’t know Hanrahan wrote fiction, he’s done some of my favorite RPG modules of all time.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Everyone posted:

Though Dresden probably wouldn't make any more "gently caress me" potion but he would make cooler potions.

There hasn't been a love potion in the series since the first book, which was portrayed in a blatant "this is why Dresden has a no love potions rule, they're terrible things" way. Not only is it not a thing Dresden does, he explicitly refuses to do so if asked.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Everyone posted:

Sounds like 100% upside.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I figured potions went the way of the "pocket of sunshine" hanky in that the ones that would have devastating effects against forces of "evil" would require the wizard brewing them to be fully in the mindset of being "good".

Sanderson would have probably come up with some much cooler potion effects that Butcher can't be hosed to even dream about, though.

I mean, what did we have before they went out of use?

Veil-in-a-bottle, Turn-into-Air-and-Sir-Robin-it, maybe a Restore-Mana potion at some point before that was replaced by the bear charm that was used once?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The stealth potion made a return in peace talks and I think there have been others even later in the series, just without the elaborate brewing scenes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Avalerion posted:

The stealth potion made a return in peace talks and I think there have been others even later in the series, just without the elaborate brewing scenes.

Yeah, but there were only the three/four effect types, right?

Veil/stealth, Turn into Air and Book-It, love potion, what else?

The one in Changes was a watered-down flight potion.

But I think that was it?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It is my unacknowledged headcanon that Harry drat near killing himself with a potion in Fool Moon is the reason he hasn't used them as much since then.

e.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah, but there were only the three/four effect types, right?

Veil/stealth, Turn into Air and Book-It, love potion, what else?

The one in Changes was a watered-down flight potion.

But I think that was it?

The Supercoffee (which came across a bit more like Wizard Meth when Harry used it).

Also, I think the Third Eye drug in Storm Front was technically a potion too.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

docbeard posted:

The Supercoffee (which came across a bit more like Wizard Meth when Harry used it).

Also, I think the Third Eye drug in Storm Front was technically a potion too.

I thought the Third Eye drug was retconned into a Nemesis vector and not actually a drug/potion.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I thought the Third Eye drug was retconned into a Nemesis vector and not actually a drug/potion.

I don't recall that but it's been a thousand years since I've read most of the books and that plot aspect bores me to tears so you could well be right.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Vector or not it's still a drug/potion. The way I understood it was that Nemesis was the "enabler" behind Third Eye, the FBI werewolves and some of the other earlier books, not that they were specifically Outsider magic or something. I'd need to do a Dresden reread to be sure and I'm just not up to that right now.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm just trying to point out that we're talking about potion use as if it was some tool that was as common as the kinetic ring or the blasting rod, when it wasn't even as regularly used as the pentacle amulet to light a dark room.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What's out there (audiobook specifically) that's similar to the Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone? I loved how rich the world was in those books. I'd prefer stuff that is light on romance, or at least queer if it's there. I just finished the Dragon Blood audio books by Lindsay Buroker and while I enjoyed those, they were aggressively straight at points. For reference, some of other stuff I've enjoyed have been A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A Brown, and The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton. I guess these are more alternate world than urban fantasy exactly? But the worlds are more modern than traditional fantasy. I've listened to a bunch of Dresden Files years ago and those were fun, but protagonists who aren't straight white cis males would be more interesting.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Have you listened to anything Schaefer has written? Not so much the standalone Harmony Black books, but the Faust, revanche cycle, and other things in that universe, plus the hungry dreaming.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Revanche Cycle/Wisdom's Grave is definitely gay enough to pass that bar I think.

Also it rules.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Throwing that on my list then.

\/\/\/ Sounds great!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 28, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Soonmot posted:

What's out there (audiobook specifically) that's similar to the Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone? I loved how rich the world was in those books. I'd prefer stuff that is light on romance, or at least queer if it's there. I just finished the Dragon Blood audio books by Lindsay Buroker and while I enjoyed those, they were aggressively straight at points. For reference, some of other stuff I've enjoyed have been A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A Brown, and The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton. I guess these are more alternate world than urban fantasy exactly? But the worlds are more modern than traditional fantasy. I've listened to a bunch of Dresden Files years ago and those were fun, but protagonists who aren't straight white cis males would be more interesting.

I'd check out Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series. The protagonist is Peter Grant, a black (Sierra Leone heritage) police constable in London who becomes an apprentice wizard. The series is very minority-friendly without being self-conscious or condescending about. One character being gay and married to her wife is just one aspect of her character along with the fact that she and her wife raise chickens as a hobby. Like that.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm having a time finding the answer to this, are there currently any published paperback versions of Dresden that aren't mass market paperbacks? I'm looking for trade paper back size, y'know, hardcover size but paperback. There are a few amazon entries that look different from the Roc versions you can get at Barnes and Noble and places like that.

E: I know Side Jobs is in trade, I'm just not sure any of the main books are.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 26, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Never seen any in that format.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'm having a time finding the answer to this, are there currently any published paperback versions of Dresden that aren't mass market paperbacks? I'm looking for trade paper back size, y'know, hardcover size but paperback. There are a few amazon entries that look different from the Roc versions you can get at Barnes and Noble and places like that.

E: I know Side Jobs is in trade, I'm just not sure any of the main books are.

Why do you want it? I can't thing of any benefit.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Why do you want it? I can't thing of any benefit.

Trade paperbacks tend to be made with better quality paper, and tend to be a little more durable. Also the font size usually larger, so it can be easier to read.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Thomamelas posted:

Trade paperbacks tend to be made with better quality paper, and tend to be a little more durable. Also the font size usually larger, so it can be easier to read.

But what benefit is that over hardback?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Soonmot posted:

October Daye might fit the bill. There’s more romance as the books go on but it’s pretty light and there’s definitely lots of queer to it the farther it goes along. The books are all light, fast reads. It’s a lot like Dresden but with less lovely characters and opinions.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Cost. Hardcovers will be more durable than trade paperbacks, which are more durable than mass market paperbacks. Cost follows the same progression.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Beachcomber posted:

Why would I buy any Dresden Files books in Hardback?

Edit: Unless they were in a Goodwill book pile and I hadn't read it yet?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Why would I buy any Dresden Files books in Hardback?

Edit: Unless they were in a Goodwill book pile and I hadn't read it yet?

They're cheap, after market.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=jim%20butcher&bi=h&cm_sp=sort-_-SRP-_-Results&n=100121503&sortby=17

I've never seen a Trade Paperback for Dresden Files, most likely because they're too short.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lawlicaust posted:

October Daye might fit the bill. There’s more romance as the books go on but it’s pretty light and there’s definitely lots of queer to it the farther it goes along. The books are all light, fast reads. It’s a lot like Dresden but with less lovely characters and opinions.

Oh sweet, I've read and enjoyed some of Seanan McGuire's comics

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'm having a time finding the answer to this, are there currently any published paperback versions of Dresden that aren't mass market paperbacks? I'm looking for trade paper back size, y'know, hardcover size but paperback.

I think I've seen omnibus editions in that size before, but I don't know if they kept doing that past the first couple.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Finished Amongst Our Weapons and I have to wonder if Nightengale's bit at the end about retiring and reopening the school might be Aaronovitch's off-ramp wrt his main characters being cops.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Fighting Trousers posted:

Finished Amongst Our Weapons and I have to wonder if Nightengale's bit at the end about retiring and reopening the school might be Aaronovitch's off-ramp wrt his main characters being cops.

I mean sorta, but it's also not a new development--he first mentioned it at least a couple books back (I think it was the book where Abigail started taking lessons)

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

It’s definitely the off-ramp to Peter being the main POV character. Peter’s character arc feels very near completion even in Amongst Our Weapons. He’s a father now. He’s decided he’s not throwing himself head first into danger anymore. He’s pretty competent as a officer, leader, and wizard.

I’d imagine we get one or two more Peter PoV books at most. There’s just not much more to do with him.

It would be nice to move outside the police entirely or at least to another location.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lawlicaust posted:

It’s definitely the off-ramp to Peter being the main POV character. Peter’s character arc feels very near completion even in Amongst Our Weapons. He’s a father now. He’s decided he’s not throwing himself head first into danger anymore. He’s pretty competent as a officer, leader, and wizard.

I’d imagine we get one or two more Peter PoV books at most. There’s just not much more to do with him.

It would be nice to move outside the police entirely or at least to another location.

In terms of location, that smithing where Caroline is seems like an interesting one.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Lawlicaust posted:

I feel like we're expanding the magical world rapidly, with more and more practitioners of different traditions crossing the Folly's path, as well as rediscovering other British practitioners like the Society of the Rose and the smiths. So there are definitely places to go that don't involve law enforcement.

It occurs to me that we may be coming to a crisis point with Abigail, though. She's a much more natural talent than Peter, but like Lesley, she wants something from her magic - a potential cure for her brother. That could be a problem.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I feel like we're expanding the magical world rapidly, with more and more practitioners of different traditions crossing the Folly's path, as well as rediscovering other British practitioners like the Society of the Rose and the smiths. So there are definitely places to go that don't involve law enforcement.

It occurs to me that we may be coming to a crisis point with Abigail, though. She's a much more natural talent than Peter, but like Lesley, she wants something from her magic - a potential cure for her brother. That could be a problem.

Good. Problems are good. Problems are story.

That said, one huge difference between Abigail and Leslie is that Abigail's desire isn't selfish. She wants her brother to be healed for him and for her parents. I'm still not sure that Peter has put together why Abigail wants to learn magic. I think Nightingale has. I think Nightingale "gets" Abigail a lot better than Peter does.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I do t know if "The Plague Stones" by James Brogdan is strictly urban fantasy but I liked it and wanted to share. It also has a lot of rich v poor commentary.

Ghosts are real, the diocese knows, ritual magic happens under the guise of "community events"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Azuth0667 posted:

Butcher and GRRM need to sell their IP to Brandon Sanderson so the books actually get written.

Nobody actually wants ASoIF books to get written. Even GRRM hates them at this point because the TV series took all the fun out of it for him and left him with just the work.