Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is that to make them seem personable or something? It just makes me think some dingus waddled into the position, which is probably accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
My sheriff in High School was nicknamed Butter.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Someone running for auditor here has signs with the tagline "I'll show up"

Which apparently has been a problem, I guess

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Who audits the auditors?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

DarkHorse posted:

Someone running for auditor here has signs with the tagline "I'll show up"

Which apparently has been a problem, I guess

Are you in the Cincinnati area, or are there multiple people using that?

After seeing those signs, I just assumed there was some scandal where a previous auditor just never came to work.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

From the generation that can't figure out a printer

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Medullah posted:

I love it because it comes from the same mentality as participation trophies.

"Here, we insist on giving you these pointless trophies. Haha, look at the snowflakes who had to have trophies for showing up."

"We will not teach you these life skills that we have arbitrarily decided are of the utmost importance to know, now we shall laugh at your inability to perform a task you were never shown how to do and convince ourselves that this speaks to your character."

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I'd be stunned if anyone posting that actually owns a gas mower or actually mows their own lawn. The number of guys I know who would post something like that who have actually used a gas mower or taken care of their own lawn is so drat slim, I know maybe 4 people past myself who actually do their own yardwork.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

TGG posted:

I'd be stunned if anyone posting that actually owns a gas mower or actually mows their own lawn. The number of guys I know who would post something like that who have actually used a gas mower or taken care of their own lawn is so drat slim, I know maybe 4 people past myself who actually do their own yardwork.

Nah, I'm sure there are more than a few who'd post that who also use riding mowers (started with a key in the ignition, of course) on a postage-stamp-sized lawn, and pretends that's a reason to feel superior to their imagined foe, "Anyone Younger Than Me Faced With A Pullcord."

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Medullah posted:

There's also the :umberto: of them freaking out over my/the next generation burning Minneapolis, Portland, and Seattle "to the ground" and doing $2BB of damage to the country during the George Floyd protests.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

darthbob88 posted:

There's also the :umberto: of them freaking out over my/the next generation burning Minneapolis, Portland, and Seattle "to the ground" and doing $2BB of damage to the country during the George Floyd protests.

Some time ago I overheard some Fox News shithead lamenting how no one had the guts to do something like the Boston Tea Party, and :shepicide:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Dr Christmas posted:

Some time ago I overheard some Fox News shithead lamenting how no one had the guts to do something like the Boston Tea Party, and :shepicide:

Fox News loves an anti-government protest, as long as it's done by the whiteright sort of people.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nobody chooses to start a lawnmower, it chooses whether to start.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Gas lawnmowers and leafblowers are boomer poo poo that should be banned anyways.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My dad got an electric lawn mower that plugged into a utility box on the side of the garage so I had to hoist an extension cord over my shoulder while I mowed

There were still a couple times I mowed over that cord and rugged as it was it didn't make it

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I used a battery powered electric mower for 4ish years and it worked fine except for the battery eventually losing capacity and I wasn't able to get a replacement. I replaced it with a gas mower because I can do small engine repair and I don't have to worry about parts obsolescence. I also tried to use an electric snowthrower but it just didn't have the power when we had more then 4 inches of snow.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lawns are bad and so is mowing them. Suck on that, Boomers.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
While agree that the idea of having a perfectly manicured lawn is bad, like what are you going to do about lawns? Replace them with artificial grass? That's even worse. Just encase it all in concrete? And if you have grass, you're probably going to want to mow it so that you don't get ticks all over you when you walk out into it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just don't cut it and don't walk through it. Appreciate it from nearby. Plant flowers instead of just grass that insects can live in. Just don't make a million identikit lawns.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

There's nothing wrong with wanting an open space to play, socialize, and work on stuff. "Appreciate it from nearby" doesn't take into account things like children and pets. And if you're raising animals like chickens then keeping the grass short is basically necessary unless you want to give predators an incredibly easy opportunity to pick off your animals from hiding. "Just don't" isn't actually useful.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Chickens will turn any area of vegetation into a WWI battlefield in short order, so that would solve itself

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Long grass is where mosquitoes hang out and breed so if everyone keeps their grass short the whole neighborhood benefits

Also replace grass with clover. Plant fuckloads of clover

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Brawnfire posted:

Chickens will turn any area of vegetation into a WWI battlefield in short order, so that would solve itself

You need a lot of chickens to do that to much of any size, not just like a hobbyist flock of a dozen or two. Their presence doesn't immediately despoil everything in a three meter radius per bird.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You need geese to do that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

disposablewords posted:

You need a lot of chickens to do that to much of any size, not just like a hobbyist flock of a dozen or two. Their presence doesn't immediately despoil everything in a three meter radius per bird.

Man I had like six and there's still pits where their run used to be, idk

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
a goat for every lawn

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Brawnfire posted:

Man I had like six and there's still pits where their run used to be, idk

A run's gonna get like that because it's where they're going to have a lot of concentrated activity. Ours looks like poo poo too because it sees people and birds there a lot, mostly because that's where we feed them. Get outside the run, even with two dozen allowed to range most of the day, and the most damage is still where the humans walk to attend to stuff at and around their coop.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Guavanaut posted:

You need geese to do that.

My grandparents lived on a lake and when my siblings and I were little we would race to the water and whoever didn't step in goose poo poo won.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

disposablewords posted:

A run's gonna get like that because it's where they're going to have a lot of concentrated activity. Ours looks like poo poo too because it sees people and birds there a lot, mostly because that's where we feed them. Get outside the run, even with two dozen allowed to range most of the day, and the most damage is still where the humans walk to attend to stuff at and around their coop.

yeah that's fair I wasn't really being super serious tbh

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Brawnfire posted:

yeah that's fair I wasn't really being super serious tbh

Fair enough, I've got to be a bit serious about it because leaving the grass untrimmed demonstrably encourages raccoons and foxes to come pick at the flock at their leisure.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Please tell me where I can buy chickens that don't destroy the yard. I have 3 and it's close to a desert after a year.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Twelve by Pies posted:

While agree that the idea of having a perfectly manicured lawn is bad, like what are you going to do about lawns? Replace them with artificial grass? That's even worse. Just encase it all in concrete? And if you have grass, you're probably going to want to mow it so that you don't get ticks all over you when you walk out into it.

clover lawns work amazingly well too

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just a hive o bees please

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Me, I've mostly got creeping thyme, mint, clover, wild strawberries, and violets. There's grass in there, I've been told...

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Upsidads posted:

Just a hive o bees please

I am now thinking about a "lawn" that is covered in honey, where the house is just a giant wasp's nest.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

Replace it with native species of grass, flowers and plants that attract pollinators. Plant a vegetable garden. Aesthetically pleasing rock gardens.

The list of things that you could do with that space that aren't "plant an alien species of grass that gives virtually nothing back but still drains the soil of nutrients and wastes water because your grandparents were programmed to do so by anti-communist propaganda" is virtually endless.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think the problem is that people are misunderstanding what I mean when I say "lawn." Maybe I should say "yard" instead? Like, my house has a front yard. There is grass there, but it isn't "lawn grass." It's regular grass native to this area, we've never planted anything or seeded it in any way. Lots of buttercups, actually.

But that grass gets tall, and we have dogs, and we have to walk through the yard to get to things like the gardens, the wellhouse, etc. So we gotta cut it. Not cutting it isn't really an option. There's ticks to worry about, and mice like to hide in tall grass too, plus walking through tall grass is kind of an irritant to skin and makes your legs itchy.

I hate the whole lawn culture thing too, planting non-native grass is stupid and lovely, but even if you just have a patch of land with some grass there's reasons to cut it that aren't "anti-communist propaganda."

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Yards in Arizona are just scorpion rock gardens

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Just use a scythe to mow your yard:

1) Good exercise
2) Zero emissions/noise
3) Preserves traditional skills
4) Now you own a scythe for a badass reaper costume at Halloween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Just use a scythe to mow your yard:

1) Good exercise
2) Zero emissions/noise
3) Preserves traditional skills
4) Now you own a scythe for a badass reaper costume at Halloween

This is true, and I've seen several threads come to this conclusion eventually. If only there were some way to make this information more prominently centralized!