Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Srice posted:

It stinks that the only version of RRR on Netflix is dubbed into Hindi (the original version is Telugu and that's on a different streaming service) but hell, the movie rules so hard that I'm sure it's still a great time.

Yeah, this is a weird thing and I hope Netflix adds the Telugu version at some point (but I doubt it).

But it does still rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Supposedly the original version is exclusive to ZEE5, which is also available now

https://twitter.com/r_emmet/status/1527398091447468034?s=20&t=Gf0U5Ttz99PPn0Jokk2G_Q

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does RRR have like dance numbers and stuff?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Is there a version with only the comedy relief bits called RDRR?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

david_a posted:

Yes

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

david_a posted:

There are two dance numbers (including the end credits) and several musical interludes.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Y'all were not exaggerating about Jibaro holy poo poo that was good

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
IDK if I missed this discussion earlier in the thread but Pachinko is really great and Lee Min Ho is one charismatic motherfucker. When I started watching it I wasn't sure how they were going to drag it out for more than one season but now I can easily imagine it going to planned 4 without getting boring.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
RRR was incredible. I wasn't expecting it to be as gory as it was though - there's quite a bit of the Mel Gibson approach to action storytelling in there (you gotta suffer to dish it out)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 23, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Watched RRR last night, it slaps hard.

I’m a sucker for a scene of two men clasping hands as they flex their bis, and this one has an all time version of that scene.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
RRR is dope as hell. Surprisingly gory as well which I was not expecting.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I know it’s not a movie but no one seems to be talking about this in TVIV.

Just watched the first ep of Prehistoric Planet and it’s so good. This is the show I dreamed of when I was a kid. Can’t wait for the other episodes.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MeinPanzer posted:

I know it’s not a movie but no one seems to be talking about this in TVIV.

Just watched the first ep of Prehistoric Planet and it’s so good. This is the show I dreamed of when I was a kid. Can’t wait for the other episodes.

Hmm, maybe AppleTV is worth a quick subscription again for that and Severance.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Buttchocks posted:

Is there a version with only the comedy relief bits called RDRR?

appreciate

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

david_a posted:

Hmm, maybe AppleTV is worth a quick subscription again for that and Severance.

That's exactly what I'm doing -- subbing for a week for free to watch this and then Severance. It's worth it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pachinko and For All Mankind are bangers too. Apple TV+ is "good".

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
And is just like $6/month so it's a great value

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

MeinPanzer posted:

That's exactly what I'm doing -- subbing for a week for free to watch this and then Severance. It's worth it.

If you have the target app there is a deal for 4 free months of apple TV if it's a new account

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just watched Chip and Dale. What a fever dream of a movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you have the target app there is a deal for 4 free months of apple TV if it's a new account

Also on the off chance you have access to a PlayStation 5 you can get 6 months free

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
man yeah Prehistoric Planet is so good. the widdle pterasaurs learning to fly was the most :3: thing

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

veni veni veni posted:

Even if someone doesn't care about LDR they owe it to themselves to at least watch Bad Traveling and Jibaro.

Binged through Love Death Robots 3 in two nights. The low points are a bit like mediocre SCP entries (killer alien thing hunts down badass dudes, a plot that I swear LDR has used before) but the high points are possibly the best in the entire run, Jibaro in particular. And it's all quick so that you can forgive any problems.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If anyone has Arrow (doing a free trial), definitely definitely watch The Legend of the Stardust Brothers. Shades of Rocky Horror, Popstar, Hausu, Happiness of the Katakuris, with dashes of David Lynch and Monty Python. Just incredibly charming, silly, slapdash (the main antagonist is essentially a robot David Bowie created by the Japanese government to pacify teens with 80s pop) with a banger soundtrack.

quote:

In 1985, Macoto Tezka (son of the great manga artist Osamu Tezuka) met musician and TV personality Haruo Chicada who had made a soundtrack to a movie which didn’t actually exist: The Legend of the Stardust Brothers. At the time Macoto was just 22 years old, a film-student with many short experimental films under his belt, but yet to make a feature-debut and of course had the pressure of the TEZUKA name. With Chicada as producer, Tezka then adapted this “fake soundtrack” into the real movie story of “The Stardust Brothers”.
With inspiration from “Phantom of the Paradise” and “Rocky Horror Picture Show”, Tezuka assembled a cast of some of Japan’s most famous musicians of the time, including such greats as Kiyohiko Ozaki, ISSAY, Sunplaza Nakano and Hiroshi Takano, alongside many famous names in Manga such as Monkey Punch (Lupin the 3rd), Shinji Nagashima (Hanaichi Monme), Yosuke Takahashi (Mugen Shinsi) and even many upcoming film directors of the time such as Kiyoshi Kurosawa (Tokyo Sonata) and Daihachi Yoshida (The Kirishima Thing). The resulting film “The Legend of the Stardust Brothers” is the exact definition of a cult film. Despite the huge array of talent on board with a large budget, the film is totally unknown even to this day in both Japan and worldwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqdJF0o9LPg

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 24, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ok I’ll check that out :files: :ninja:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The dinosaur thing on Apple+ is super fun but it's kind of corny that it's listed as a documentary. Also the CGI is mostly very good but not good enough to just kind of forget it it's a cartoon most of the time.

I feel like the Mosasaur is the new dinosaur hotness now that Jurassic World gave it the Jurassic treatment and made it 5 times bigger than it actually was. Even prehistoric planet's claims of it being twice the size of a T-rex seems weird to me, but I am not a paleontologist or anything. Every museum seems to have a one of their skeletons on display and they are big but not that big.

Still whatever, it's a faux planet earth with dinosaurs. I'm gonna be watching the hell out the whole thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How would you prefer them to make a dinosaur documentary?

If you want talking heads in a museum, we've gotten a million of those and they suck. They're inherently dry and academic and keep the subject at arms length. In certain ways it's a barrier to learning, limiting the ability for the viewer to see them as real animals, and it's a large part of why the public perception of them is still as monsters from a fantasy world.

This is no different than Walking with Dinosaurs, Dinosaur!, or dozens of other ambitious dino docs of the past 50 years. There's thousands of speculative documentaries out there on any number of scientific subjects that can't be easily or fully captured on film, from deep space to cellular biology to the atomic world to any historical subject before the invention of photography.

Is any documentary about Ancient Rome that uses reenactments not a documentary to you? Any documentary about the geologic makeup of the moons of our solar system just fantasy in your book? It's ridiculous to dismiss all of those as "not documentaries" because you've created your own artificially limited definition.

Anyway, I watched the first episode and it's cute, but I do wish the narration went into more detail about the discoveries that led to out understanding of what's depicted on screen.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Anyway, I watched the first episode and it's cute, but I do wish the narration went into more detail about the discoveries that led to out understanding of what's depicted on screen.

Attenborough at the end said to go to the show page to learn more about the science, but I haven't been able to find that. I did, however, find this website, which is posting a brief scientific assessment of each episode with links to studies (this is for the first ep, others will presumably follow):

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/05/23/prehistoric-planet-coasts-real-dinosaurs/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Awesome, I'll definitely check that out. I heard a reviewer mention that the science companion piece was about 5 minutes long and very surface level, which is a big disappointment. I do watch a lot of short nature docs on YouTube that are very dry but in-depth, including dinosaur ones, so my expectations for what Apple wants to put out for the masses may be unrealistic.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Thank you everyone for recommending RRR. I don't think that movie would have been on my radar otherwise and it's seriously one of the most ridiculous and entertaining movies I have seen in a long time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

How would you prefer them to make a dinosaur documentary?

If you want talking heads in a museum, we've gotten a million of those and they suck. They're inherently dry and academic and keep the subject at arms length. In certain ways it's a barrier to learning, limiting the ability for the viewer to see them as real animals, and it's a large part of why the public perception of them is still as monsters from a fantasy world.

This is no different than Walking with Dinosaurs, Dinosaur!, or dozens of other ambitious dino docs of the past 50 years. There's thousands of speculative documentaries out there on any number of scientific subjects that can't be easily or fully captured on film, from deep space to cellular biology to the atomic world to any historical subject before the invention of photography.

Is any documentary about Ancient Rome that uses reenactments not a documentary to you? Any documentary about the geologic makeup of the moons of our solar system just fantasy in your book? It's ridiculous to dismiss all of those as "not documentaries" because you've created your own artificially limited definition.

I just think it should be called a "speculamentary" or something (probably a less stupid name would be better). Surely they will make a new one in a decade and the science surrounding dinosaurs will have changed so much half of it will look dated, just like every previous dino doc. I know they are using a mix of existing ecosystems, fossil records etc. so it's not just making poo poo up on the fly, but no one is ever going to know what it was like in the prehistoric era so I think "documentary" as a tag is off.

Even with something like ancient Rome/Egypt it's a bit spotty but at least we have a lot more to go off of. Even those are full of speculation though so I'd put them in the same category. I think of a documentary as something that documents reality, not something that speculates about reality.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think you're vastly underestimating how much we know about dinosaurs at this point in time. The field has evolved in leaps and bounds in the past 20 years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

The dinosaur thing on Apple+ is super fun but it's kind of corny that it's listed as a documentary. Also the CGI is mostly very good but not good enough to just kind of forget it it's a cartoon most of the time.

big disagree, i found myself thinking "are we sure they haven't invented time cameras???"

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I especially enjoy how RRR eventually turns to "Rama: First Blood"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

think of a documentary as something that documents reality, not something that speculates about reality.

every statement about reality is speculation

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

precision posted:

big disagree, i found myself thinking "are we sure they haven't invented time cameras???"

you’ve seen devs right

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I just think it should be called a "speculamentary" or something (probably a less stupid name would be better). Surely they will make a new one in a decade and the science surrounding dinosaurs will have changed so much half of it will look dated, just like every previous dino doc. I know they are using a mix of existing ecosystems, fossil records etc. so it's not just making poo poo up on the fly, but no one is ever going to know what it was like in the prehistoric era so I think "documentary" as a tag is off.

Even with something like ancient Rome/Egypt it's a bit spotty but at least we have a lot more to go off of. Even those are full of speculation though so I'd put them in the same category. I think of a documentary as something that documents reality, not something that speculates about reality.

lol

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Jordan7hm posted:

Watched RRR last night, it slaps hard.

I’m a sucker for a scene of two men clasping hands as they flex their bis, and this one has an all time version of that scene.

This was the greatest stuff, double flex, slam to title screen 40 min in, hero friendship montage.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

you’ve seen devs right

Welp, didn't realize I was about to spoil that show for myself. Thought I was getting dino spoilers.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Haha sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Welp, didn't realize I was about to spoil that show for myself. Thought I was getting dino spoilers.

that doesn't really spoil the show, it's more of like, that's just what the premise even is in the first place, kinda

don't worry, it's fine