Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hercule knows "the basics" of martial arts according to Goku's inner monologue but his unwillingness to accept ki as a real thing means that he has to settle for only being the most famous dude in the world and having cool friends and saving the world by making other people believe in his cool friends.

He saved the universe by getting the entire earth unite and offer their prayers to Satan so he's cool in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Cleretic posted:

I dunno, does Joseph Joestar count? He was only the protagonist when he was eighteen, but he kept appearing until he was nearly eighty.

For how much him and Polnareff can feel more like main characters than Jotaro in part 3...yeah, I'll count him.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

It's PG-13 Fantasy Cronenberg by the end. It even goes metaphysical to the point you're wondering "do grave dirt revenants and ghosts have magic organs too, independent from their body's stuff?" Yes.

The entire final arc is about living/stolen/undead eyeballs and grafted chest-face-flesh

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
One thing that has struck me in retrospect is that Dragon Ball is perhaps the original anime where all problems are solved by just being AGGRESSIVELY PASSIONATE, it's much more emotional storytelling than it is anything else. Or at least, if it wasn't the first it was definitely the first to hit it big in the west.

As a kid that's pretty easy to swallow, and I can certainly respect a narrative that throws all logic to the wind and is basically entirely fuelled by emotion, but I've definitely found that I prefer something more based in logic. I think the reason I got so into Gundam and JJBA was because while they're still Extremely Anime, they reward their characters being intelligent more than anything else, be it through strategic considerations in Gundam's case or esoteric puzzle-solving in JJBA's.

I think a part of the reason Gurren Lagann doesn't sit right with me is because it's in one of the subgenres that generally rewards thinking (mecha anime), but most of the show is instead fuelled entirely by 'the winner of the fight is the one that wants it more'.

So yeah, Dragon Ball isn't necessarily a show that ages badly in terms of 'feels like it was made in a different era', but it's definitely a show that you can go back to as an adult and have a very different experience of. That's a type of 'aging badly', right?

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:37 on May 23, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Goons have a weird chip on their shoulder about anime

More to do with weebs hijacking and derailing a thread for days on end to talk about their cartoons. They have an entire subforum all to themselves if they want to do that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A...a...a....DERAIL? IN PYF? :monocle:

Calaveron posted:

The xenoverse 2 game has a mission where you fought a turbo beefed up Yamcha and it was pretty fun

He's also fun as gently caress in DBFZ.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

I actually did like the little epilogue episode they did for Yamcha where he becomes a literal billionaire because the baseball team he plays for fires him for being too good (nobody was bothering to watch anymore because he always wins and it got more boring than usual), but having to pay him a shitload of money so that he wouldn't go play for another team.

I mean, canonically speaking, even Yamcha is powerful enough to destroy the planet. Vegeta was blowing planets up in filler episodes during the Saiyan saga, and everyone's power level is way beyond that by now.
And he's also the reason Goku survives at all. In the future trunks comes from, yamcha killed himself which means that he wasn't there to make sure Goku got his heart medication which means he died of a heart attack. One of the seriously most heartwarming moments in the show, and I know it's in abridged parody show with a lot of dark humor and random stuff, but it's when Goku was told by future Trunks that his timeline yamcha killed himself, and when Goku gets back to talk to his friends, the first thing he says to his yamcha is hey we're friends, and you can talk to me about anything if you need to. It's almost out of character for Goku to be like that, but it really is a sweet moment.

I barely watched dragon Ball z when it was on the air, but the abridged series is really awesome.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 17:00 on May 23, 2022

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Gohan vs Buu fight was great and perfectly done to be his 'graduation' fight into being the hero the entire runtime of the series had been building him up to be..and then at literally the last minute they serve back into worshiping Goku and never stop.

Forever Mad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is about shonen anime is that so much of it runs on almost exactly the same conventions as pro wrestling. That should explain a lot.

Byzantine posted:

The Gohan vs Buu fight was great and perfectly done to be his 'graduation' fight into being the hero the entire runtime of the series had been building him up to be..and then at literally the last minute they serve back into worshiping Goku and never stop.

Forever Mad.

The Buu saga is basically them trying to make Gohan the new main character and realising it just wasn't working out for various reasons.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cowslips Warren posted:

And he's also the reason Goku survives at all. In the future trunks comes from, yamcha killed himself which means that he wasn't there to make sure Goku got his heart medication which means he died of a heart attack. One of the seriously most heartwarming moments in the show, and I know it's in abridged parody show with a lot of dark humor and random stuff, but it's when Goku was told by future Trunks that his timeline yamcha killed himself, and when Goku gets back to talk to his friends, the first thing he says to his yamcha is hey we're friends, and you can talk to me about anything if you need to. It's almost out of character for Goku to be like that, but it really is a sweet moment.

I barely watched dragon Ball z when it was on the air, but the abridged series is really awesome.

Didn't think I'd see someone praising the Abridged show's "suicide is the punchline lol" gags today. It's up there with the Zarbon gay panic stuff in the problematic league table.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Once when I was a kid we were taking about dragon ball z and my friend said “it’s pronounced fajita”

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Forever Mad.

Its because the Shonen Jump character popularity polls came back and despite shoving Gohan down everyone's throats and trying to make him the new big hero, nobody liked him so they just went back to the actually popular Goku

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mescal posted:

Once when I was a kid we were taking about dragon ball z and my friend said “it’s pronounced fajita”

Your friend was Peggy Hill?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Alaois posted:

Its because the Shonen Jump character popularity polls came back and despite shoving Gohan down everyone's throats and trying to make him the new big hero, nobody liked him so they just went back to the actually popular Goku

drat, forgot about those entirely. Was that why Sasuke got so much undeserved screen time in part 2?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Do any of these thousands of words about dragon ball zed have anything to do with media not aging well? At least I learned that even what I assumed was a "safe" anime due to its popularity contains pedophilia that fans just handwave away.

On that note, I recently learned that tuxedo mask was 16 in the sailor moon manga but they aged him up to 18 in the anime while leaving her 14 to give it more "appeal". I loved the show as a kid but even then thought it was creepy that a man in college was dating a child. And no it is not okay because they're actually 1000 in magical moon years or whatever the gently caress.

For non-anime content, I watched a Tom Green stand up special from 2012 last night and he was making fun of tmurp for saying he wanted to run for president as though that was completely absurd and could never happen. :negative:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

run on sentience posted:

Do any of these thousands of words about dragon ball zed have anything to do with media not aging well? At least I learned that even what I assumed was a "safe" anime due to its popularity contains pedophilia that fans just handwave away.

On that note, I recently learned that tuxedo mask was 16 in the sailor moon manga but they aged him up to 18 in the anime while leaving her 14 to give it more "appeal". I loved the show as a kid but even then thought it was creepy that a man in college was dating a child. And no it is not okay because they're actually 1000 in magical moon years or whatever the gently caress.

For non-anime content, I watched a Tom Green stand up special from 2012 last night and he was making fun of tmurp for saying he wanted to run for president as though that was completely absurd and could never happen. :negative:

Well on the internet back in the day you could tell what someone was all about at a glance by their Vegeta avatar (or, in the case of a rarer subspecies, their Tien avatar), and those old posts just won't make sense to readers lacking this context.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what this greasy alien in my avatar is? I hate it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jedit posted:

More to do with weebs hijacking and derailing a thread for days on end to talk about their cartoons. They have an entire subforum all to themselves if they want to do that.

If you have some other media that qualifies that, then talk about that and stop making GBS threads up the thread with "anime bad" takes from 2003.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
By that same argument film talk should be restricted to CD but no one’s cruel enough to say that and mean it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jedit posted:

There are two whole subforums to talk about superheroes, too. So what?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Anime can't age poorly, since at time of release its almost always racist and or sexist.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Anime can't age poorly, since at time of release its almost always racist and or sexist.

Shaman King and Chocolove. The one black character besides the weird child that turned into a sheep who hung out with Hao.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Woolie Wool posted:

If you have some other media that qualifies that, then talk about that and stop making GBS threads up the thread with "anime bad" takes from 2003.

Yeah, "anime bad" takes from 2003 definitely do not belong in a thread about things that aged poorly.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I have heartbreaking news for you about Western pop culture as well.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I mentioned World War Z in another thread, but shouldn't all zombie/infection works be a dead genre for a few years/decades? (maybe even the diaster genre too?)

like not only is real life far far more stupid , but real people are more cartoonishly dumb and belligerently contrarian.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Thank gently caress if so, we needed something to put a shotgun blast through zombie media's head

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This whole "treat masses of people as fodder to kill" is kinda yikes anyway.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Moon Monster posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know what this greasy alien in my avatar is? I hate it.

Looks to be Ben Browder. Probably from an episode of Stargate SG-1.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This whole "treat masses of people as fodder to kill" is kinda yikes anyway.

Most of the Romero movies were kinda sympathetic to the zombies. As much as land of the dead sucked, it ended with the few survivors being like "nah, leave the zombies alone they just want a home" when given the opportunity to keep fighting.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Phylodox posted:

Looks to be Ben Browder. Probably from an episode of Stargate SG-1.

It's from https://farscape.fandom.com/wiki/My_Three_Crichtons

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I dunno, I think the stupidity of people in zombie media is about on par with the stupidity of people irl

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Most of the Romero movies were kinda sympathetic to the zombies. As much as land of the dead sucked, it ended with the few survivors being like "nah, leave the zombies alone they just want a home" when given the opportunity to keep fighting.

Romero's stuff was originally inspired by I Am Legend, the entire point of which was that the guy treating masses of people as fodder to kill was always the monster even if he thought of it as self-defense.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gently caress zombies, kill em all I say

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zombies are too fundamentally useful as a video game enemy to ever truly disappear.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

Zombies are too fundamentally useful as a video game enemy to ever truly disappear.

Reusing human skeletons to make a common enemy in your video game is just too cost effective to not do

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Oops video game derail. Please restrict any replies to the appropriate forum

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Not really a derail, I was arguing they'll never go away cause they'll always be big in games and that will keep them present in other media cause nerds.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the holy poopacy posted:

Romero's stuff was originally inspired by I Am Legend, the entire point of which was that the guy treating masses of people as fodder to kill was always the monster even if he thought of it as self-defense.

More specifically, Last Man on Earth, which turned the vampires into basically Romero zombies and inspired a lot of the imagery Romero would aim for with the house defense stuff.

But over all yeah. That's always been The Point

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

A Sometimes Food posted:

Not really a derail, I was arguing they'll never go away cause they'll always be big in games and that will keep them present in other media cause nerds.

Let's be fair though, the reasons zombies surged in popularity from 2001 to say 2020 was about some very latent fear about the world changing around people. Vampires had their run in 80s and 90s with the fear of STDs/changing family values and what have you. That's what horror does, reflect on society's fears

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

Let's be fair though, the reasons zombies surged in popularity from 2001 to say 2020 was about some very latent fear about the world changing around people. Vampires had their run in 80s and 90s with the fear of STDs/changing family values and what have you. That's what horror does, reflect on society's fears

Zombies have never left. Not ever.

60s, 70s, 80s, 90s to the Heat Death of the Universe, you can point to a glut of never ending popular zombie films and media. I was going to say that they had a lull in the 90s but they *really* didn't. Even ignoring the whole host of movies spawned there, you also have the dawn of Resident Evil.

Zombies became the most enduring and everlasting monster, more than even vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Burkion posted:

Zombies have never left. Not ever.

60s, 70s, 80s, 90s to the Heat Death of the Universe, you can point to a glut of never ending popular zombie films and media. I was going to say that they had a lull in the 90s but they *really* didn't. Even ignoring the whole host of movies spawned there, you also have the dawn of Resident Evil.

Zombies became the most enduring and everlasting monster, more than even vampires.

Simon Pegg and someone else literally had a front page argument back and forth in a UK paper over this very subject.