Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Barreft posted:

Hey my reserve is coming up, 512 version. I'm too poor to buy it.

It says:
mooV2 (Sat May 21 2022)
Estimated Order Date: Mon Jun 06 2022
15 day(s) 16 hour(s) 37 minute(s) 39 second(s)

Is there a way to transfer the reserve to someone for some money? Otherwise I'm just going to have to buy with a credit card and resell asap on ebay I guess

You can't buy it as a gift, but they list "you can change the address for delivery during the buying process" so you just buy it for yourself with whoever's address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

haldolium posted:

I just installed PvZ Garden Warfare 2 to check out the current origin implementation

when first starting the game it shows just the steam logo for about 2-3 minutes
then it switches to the Origin logo "connecting to Origin" which again takes minutes

it then finally switches to the origin login screen, which shows a very small text at the top "online login is currently unavailable" and I cant login (wifi is on of course and EA servers are up)

Oof, this is what I was worried about. :sigh: I mean some other people reported other Origin games working, so I figured it was worth checking and getting a second opinion. I figure I'll still try it out, but I'll wait for a discount to get a 2nd copy of ME Catalyst so I won't lose out on too much if it doesn't work on the Deck.

And I did get those Origin games working on my desktop again, by the way; apparently it was an antivirus thing that disappeared when I whitelisted all of the game clients. :shrug:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i must compose posted:

I have a game that works well in desktop mode but not in the normal steam os. At least as far as running well...when I try to play the game the buttons are all hosed. Is this something to do with having to configure the controller when using desktop mode? And if it is, how do I do it? I haven't had to do anything else in desktop mode, this particular game just didn't run well with steam os and I found out it worked well this way barring the control problem.

make sure the Steam client is running while you're in Desktop Mode and go into the game's settings and make sure it's pointed at the right controller

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

make sure the Steam client is running while you're in Desktop Mode and go into the game's settings and make sure it's pointed at the right controller

What controller do I point it too if in just using the deck itself

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

thewizardofshoe posted:

Im using Heroic Games Launcher because it covers both GOG and Epic Game Store, works a treat for getting things installed and auto configuring wine prefixes and proton for them. And you only got to add the one launcher ad a non-steam game

Yes do this it works like a charm. Gex is real fun on the deck.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i must compose posted:

What controller do I point it too if in just using the deck itself

if you've got a drop-down, it may be "Steam Controller Neptune" or whatever looks like a more technical way of noting that

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

if you've got a drop-down, it may be "Steam Controller Neptune" or whatever looks like a more technical way of noting that

Thanks I'll try that!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So for another day or so Titanfall 2 is on sale on Steam for ~$5. Apparently it runs well on the Deck, despite being an Origin game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Top End and Bottom End models compared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jApCGIFS1JI

-etched glass anti glare screen does do a good job of diffusing reflections at the cost of slightly less sharpness
-512gb model actually has a nicer case too, huh, I thought they would all be the same

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
How long do these things take to ship? I paid last Thursday and haven't heard anything since.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Kaddish posted:

How long do these things take to ship? I paid last Thursday and haven't heard anything since.

I got my email last Monday and immediately paid, got the shipping email Wednesday afternoon, initially projected to receive it Friday and it arrive about 9:30 Saturday morning.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Oof, this is what I was worried about. :sigh: I mean some other people reported other Origin games working, so I figured it was worth checking and getting a second opinion. I figure I'll still try it out, but I'll wait for a discount to get a 2nd copy of ME Catalyst so I won't lose out on too much if it doesn't work on the Deck.

And I did get those Origin games working on my desktop again, by the way; apparently it was an antivirus thing that disappeared when I whitelisted all of the game clients. :shrug:

ME catalyst works on my deck. There's some origin splash page thingy that comes up on first run when you try to start it up and you need to log in and youll be fine. something did happen on my first try tho and i think i clicked out of the page and couldn't get the game to start. A reinstall solved that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Kaddish posted:

I paid for mine last Monday and they shipped it on Thursday, and I got it on Saturday.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Alright, so sounds like 3-4 business days so I won't sweat it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Atomizer posted:

Just to clarify, are you talking about the original ME, which is a native Steam release and isn't an issue, or the sequel ME Catalyst, which was an Origin exclusive and still requires a hook into Origin even if you buy a copy on Steam?

Mine is the original version, sorry!

Momomo posted:

I paid for mine last Monday and they shipped it on Thursday, and I got it on Saturday.

:same: exactly

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Kaddish posted:

Thursdays go out Monday/Tuesday.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
My wife just received her Deck and I'm still waiting for my payment request to show up. :negative:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Momomo posted:

Oh good. Now all Valve need to do is email me today and ship it me by Saturday so I can have it for the trip Sunday.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kaddish posted:

Alright, so sounds like 3-4 business days so I won't sweat it.

I got my "time to complete the purchase" email on a Thur, the next day was Good Friday, and I got my shipping email on the Tuesday after Easter Monday. Guessing you should see yours today or tomorrow :)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

v1ld posted:

Oh good. Now all Valve need to do is email me today and ship it me by Saturday so I can have it for the trip Sunday.

This might vary based on where you are, they ship from Illinois and I'm in Maryland.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

haldolium posted:

I just installed PvZ Garden Warfare 2 to check out the current origin implementation

when first starting the game it shows just the steam logo for about 2-3 minutes
then it switches to the Origin logo "connecting to Origin" which again takes minutes

it then finally switches to the origin login screen, which shows a very small text at the top "online login is currently unavailable" and I cant login (wifi is on of course and EA servers are up)

Man I couldn't even get this far, it would appear to be loading Origin and just close out at one point entirely. I tried looking up some instructions for getting Origin running on the Deck and it seems a fair bit more convoluted than it was for Uplay and Trackmania 2020 it seems, hardly worth it when I've got... 47 other games to play, most of which I still have barely touched?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Momomo posted:

This might vary based on where you are, they ship from Illinois and I'm in Maryland.

I got the email and completed the purchase, let's see how quickly they ship.

Looks like things are speeding up. US 512 moved by an entire 3 minutes today.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

v1ld posted:

Looks like things are speeding up. US 512 moved by an entire 3 minutes today.

Calculator now estimates me in late November where it was December 12 before... if they really get production & fulfillment sorted out, I might even slip into Q3.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1528783641454579712

Very curious if the fan they're selling has improved acoustics.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Calculator now estimates me in late November where it was December 12 before... if they really get production & fulfillment sorted out, I might even slip into Q3.

There's also the drop in the rate of orders beyond a certain point. It's possible that the slow week before last where they did like a minute and a half total is from a bunch of orders going in together because of something as simple as tech issues on order day.

The seeming speed up of the last 2 Mondays and a Thursday could even be the same number of fulfilled orders, just less orders going in during those periods on order day.

Which is to say that stuff should accelerate not stay at the same rate, hopefully.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

going through the RMA process now but they're trying to get me to do stuff I know won't work first. had me do a full reboot, use battery storage mode, then they wanted me to re-image the device, which requires a USB stick (and USB-C-to-USB adapter) and I don't have any. i basically said i already spent my money on the steam deck, can i just get my repair/replacement please.

i already know that buying a usb stick just to re-image the device doesn't really work because it's a hardware flaw not a software flaw

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

FBS posted:

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1528783641454579712

Very curious if the fan they're selling has improved acoustics.
Someone on reddit apparently already bought one and said it was like night and day. Much quieter.
Can't verify if its true and its purely anecdotal though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone been sharing their Steam deck locally? I'd like to be able to have the option to just hand it to my SO and have them be able to play their games but I don't know if it's going to be a whole "log one account out, log the other account in, keep your password manager open and a keyboard connected to put it in and the 2FA on hand" deal each time

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Anyone else have any issues with the latest stable update ("Fix-it Friday") seemingly not applying? I have a notification for an update that just won't take. :(

e: NM--went away after applying the update after that one.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 24, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve only used it on one game so far but the heroic launcher seems to work great.

Thanks for the recommendation.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

two quick questions about the steam deck. I'm thinking of getting one because I don't have a windows PC, but I want to play age of empires (2 definitive addition and 4) Skyrim with mods, and fallout 4 + other old PC games. I'd play all of them docked to a computer screen with a keyboard and mouse. is this a good idea?They seem cheaper than a gamer laptop, and I have a ps5/switch for most gaming (and my main computers are macs). Or is a gamer laptop a better choice?

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

My thursday order shipped today! Hopefully will be here by this wednesday.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can get a 500-600 gaming laptop that would probably blow the deck away tbh.

Also you could get a laptop today and not a deck sometime in 5 months if you are lucky.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

yea the real power of the deck is the handheld versatility. If you don't plan on using it handheld like the switch just get a decent gaming laptop

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Idk know if you'll easily find something much more powerful in the price range. The chip shortage affected laptops as well. It's probably better now, but last year I saw very few good deals on budget gaming laptops.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Idk know if you'll easily find something much more powerful in the price range. The chip shortage affected laptops as well. It's probably better now, but last year I saw very few good deals on budget gaming laptops.

These are all on the top end but are significantly more powerful

I’m sure if you waited it out you’ll get better deals. Those were from a few min of looking.

There is also this

https://youtu.be/3bnwZI7jZF0

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I love the deck but it's form factor is the killer app - a bottom of the barrel GPU will destroy the Steam Deck's APU.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also you prob won't be in for a good time trying to push the Deck to 1080p. I'm sure a lot of older stuff will work but the 720p is a sweet spot.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Aardvark Barber posted:

My thursday order shipped today! Hopefully will be here by this wednesday.

Same!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Fuuuck

Only registered members can see post attachments!