Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

eXXon posted:

If we're still talking about this, I do not understand how the overhead view is supposed to exonerate Kadri in any way. Yes, he probably would have missed the net had he continued in a straight line - so what? Rosen got to the puck ahead of him, and it's not Rosen's job to make sure Kadri gets out of the way of Binnington (by doing what exactly, not playing the puck?). It is, however, Kadri's job to not run the goalie*. Also, Kadri's the one who knocked Rosen into Binnington, not the other way around.

* yes, yes, I know.

It’s actually Kadri’s job to score goals and there is a very clearly loose puck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

WeaponX posted:

It’s actually Kadri’s job to score goals and there is a very clearly loose puck.

Asked a few pages ago what you're supposed to do in a situation like this and nobody answered. But :hmmyes: I like this one

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Are you saying that playing hockey at all, simply because Lucic is on the ice when you are up 4-0, is by definition "putting yourself in a bad situation"? That's kind of hosed.

What kind of play for a puck behind the net do you think is safe for a goalie to perform when Lucic is on the ice?

i'm saying that if my team was up 4-0 in a playoff game where:

--we've embarrassed our main historical rival on our home ice
--there's like 8-10 minutes to go in the game
--the rival has a massive dumb hyper-sensitive whiny/pissbaby ogre who has literally intentionally destroyed an enemy goalie and not gotten suspended for it
--the league I'm playing in has a vested interest in propagating a certain level of violence due to history, marketability, ~National Character And Mythmaking~, etc.
--people get paid millions of dollars and have their entire legacies tied up in playoff success
--the financial success/growth of the billionaire owners' assets is partially tied up in playoff success
--and as such they make discipline decisions and literally write the rulebook (see post on boarding) to include massive allowances for refs/DOPS' opinion
--my goalie is like 40

...I would 1000% prefer my goalie not play that puck and CERTAINLY not try to make a play with it and CERTAINLY CERTAINLY not do that while Lucic is on the ice, forechecking.

To explicitly answer your question, given the preconditions above, I don't want my goalie playing any pucks behind the net when Lucic is on the ice except when he's going off for a change or 200 feet away.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be a penalty. As I said, 5 + the game is the correct call. But Lucic has enough of a low cunning like an orc or something that he knows how to really clock the goalie and not make it too obvious/suspendable. Smith isn't at the same level of fault as Girard. As others have posted, it's almost always a penalty to nail the goalie outside of the crease. But this is the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs. Smith has gotta know that guys like Lucic are around for a reason, and he's gotta protect himself better there. I would be so upset AT Igor if Igor got nailed like that. Of course I would want the other guy to be jumped and Bertuzzi'ed. But a player needs to know how to stay on the ice.

Levitate posted:

If a player is gonna get into it with a coach too then they’re fair game IMO

I mean, from an entertainment perspective, sure, it's great and gently caress Tony. But Tony has no recourse against Gallant he can take. It's against the Code. Unless someone has to take the fight like in baseball when you hit a guy and someone on your team has to get hit back because pitchers don't really hit anymore. That would be a funny development for hockey to take, but I kinda prefer our historical thing, which is coaches having hallway/locker room/bench shoving matches like Torts in Vancouver or Patrick Roy/Bruce Boudreau or Lindy Ruff/Bryan Murray or Torts/DeBoer.

in other words, acceptable/Code-approved fighting venues by organizational role should be:

player: on ice
coach: in hallway or on bench
GM: in barn

fisting by many posted:

I posted this in the offseason thread last week, but I've worked on it some more and polished it up since then, and I want to share and show off this thing.

Scoreboard Watching

For when you miss a game, or part of a game, and you want to catch up on the results, but want a little more suspense than just checking the score would provide. It loads the actual play by play data from the NHL API and replays the game on a virtual scoreboard and ice rink. 100% spoiler free.

Ok thanks.

also wanted to add that this is really neat. great job!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 23, 2022

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/953WDAE/status/1528780743677181952

hahahahahahahahaha

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

eXXon posted:

If we're still talking about this, I do not understand how the overhead view is supposed to exonerate Kadri in any way. Yes, he probably would have missed the net had he continued in a straight line - so what? Rosen got to the puck ahead of him, and it's not Rosen's job to make sure Kadri gets out of the way of Binnington (by doing what exactly, not playing the puck?). It is, however, Kadri's job to not run the goalie*. Also, Kadri's the one who knocked Rosen into Binnington, not the other way around.

* yes, yes, I know.
Neither player touched the puck. Kadri had stick position to get there first but Rosen had body position to block Kadri from getting there. Kadri and Rosen collide, Kadri goes briefly airborne and they both tumble into Binnington.

I don't see how you can see that overheard view and not think Kadri is exonerated.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

AsInHowe posted:

hahahahahahahahaha

i don't think this matters at all lol. they presumably got good sleep for the first 3 games when they had nothing for Tampa. maybe they'll play better if they have no pressure on them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

th3t00t posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA-hc_1u3oM

Kadri's line was going well wide of Binnington until the contact with Rosen. Seems pretty clear Kadri wasn't in control of where he landed and slid after bouncing off Rosen and falling down.

If Kadri went into Binnington like this "unassisted", then yeah, throw him out of the league. But it doesn't even look questionable that it was an accident.

It looks like incidental contact to me.
Unfortunate and unlucky incidental contact that resulted in an injury, but I don't see any intent by Kadri to hit Binnington.

You can see Kadri try to stop, but his left skate caught an edge (at 0:35) and he toppled forward, and toward Binnington when he was hit by Rosen. If you want to give him 2 for interference, whatever, but I don't think that even comes close to the suspension threshold, despite his previous record.

Ugh I can't believe I'm going to bat for Kadri.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i don't think this matters at all lol. they presumably got good sleep for the first 3 games when they had nothing for Tampa. maybe they'll play better if they have no pressure on them.

I also imagine this happens a lot more regularly than is ever reported on but it only comes out when people are dissatisfied with a team. Like if it was Tampa players instead of Florida we’d never know.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Good to know elite hockey players have as much self control and regard for their jobs as I do.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'm pretty sure that Craig Ludwig and Derian Hatcher actually lived at the various strip clubs back in their days in Dallas. They would play a game in the playoffs then get on a plane to fly to mexico to take in a Pantera concert and party with the band.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

WeaponX posted:

To me the story of these past couple of games has been Colorado declining physical play, and I think this incident is a pretty good example of it. If Kadri had made the aggressive, physical play he probably would have casually buried the absolute muffin of a rebound Binnington left, and there would be nothing else to talk about.

The play started when Landeskog got the puck near the Blues bench and fired it across to Lehkonen. Rosen stepped up to play Landeskog, but then realized he hosed up massively and hustled back to the net. Now Kadri had the inside line and should have driven hard to the net, but instead he dropped into the hole for no particular reason, and then didn't really even make a strong play for the puck when it was just sitting there in front of an open net.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Starsfan posted:

I'm pretty sure that Craig Ludwig and Derian Hatcher actually lived at the various strip clubs back in their days in Dallas. They would play a game in the playoffs then get on a plane to fly to mexico to take in a Pantera concert and party with the band.

that explains why Hatcher did nothing in Detroit

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It looks like incidental contact to me.
Unfortunate and unlucky incidental contact that resulted in an injury, but I don't see any intent by Kadri to hit Binnington.

You can see Kadri try to stop, but his left skate caught an edge (at 0:35) and he toppled forward, and toward Binnington when he was hit by Rosen. If you want to give him 2 for interference, whatever, but I don't think that even comes close to the suspension threshold, despite his previous record.

Ugh I can't believe I'm going to bat for Kadri.

I’m right there with you including the feeling at the end. I thought it was 2 for GI on the day, and none of the back and forth has really changed that for me. This is the lesser of the 2 incidents in that first 10 minutes that needs the attention. Kadri’s stick is half an inch from getting the puck even. It’s just an easy target because it’s Kadri.

There’s a reason they print stop signs on the back of youth sweaters. It’s not a better idea just because you’re older to back poor hits from behind. That sort of thing straight up cripples people and there’s no reason to not demand proper hits from the person making it like every other sport. He’s leaning the whole way in, you can just let up a little and make the hit without smashing his face into the board.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Asked a few pages ago what you're supposed to do in a situation like this and nobody answered. But :hmmyes: I like this one

Skaters aren't supposed to plow into goalies. There's no relevant mitigating circumstance; Rosen isn't pushing Kadri into the net.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You can see Kadri try to stop, but his left skate caught an edge (at 0:35) and he toppled forward, and toward Binnington when he was hit by Rosen.

... what? Kadri's left skate is pointed nearly straight ahead. He's not trying to stop. He wasn't hit by Rosen either, he just skated straight into him.

th3t00t posted:

Neither player touched the puck. Kadri had stick position to get there first but Rosen had body position to block Kadri from getting there. Kadri and Rosen collide, Kadri goes briefly airborne and they both tumble into Binnington.

I don't see how you can see that overheard view and not think Kadri is exonerated.

Because Kadri didn't try to stop at all, whereas Rosen did. Rosen has his left skate edge nearly perpendicular to his motion, because he's trying to stop and avoid hitting his own goalie. Kadri's left skate is basically parallel to his own path. The onus is on skaters to avoid contact with goalies while they're in their crease (which Binnington was by the time Kadri got there).

Sure, I don't think there's intent to elbow Binnington in the head or anything, but there's certainly somewhere between recklessness and carelessness.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That's because he was playing more attention to running the goalie while making it look plausibly like an accident than he was to playing the puck.

It's the same thing as all the people who swore Matt Cooke slicing Erik Karlsson's Achilles was an accident. If Ian Cole banks the puck off the end boards back onto his own stick at the goal line then snaps it off the goalie's back and into the net, you can reasonably assume it was an accident. If Sidney Crosby does it, it was probably intentional. Guys like Kadri, and Tom Wilson, and Matt Cooke, et. al., are world class shitheads who have spent their lives honing their craft, which is injuring people and making it look like a total accident golly gee. They are extremely good at it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Guys like Kadri, and Tom Wilson, and Matt Cooke, et. al., are world class shitheads who have spent their lives honing their craft, which is injuring people and making it look like a total accident golly gee. They are extremely good at it.

Well Kadri loving sucked at the second half of that while he was a Leaf.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah those guys get suspended regularly but in truth it's only for one-tenth of the poo poo they get away with.

I'm kind of sympathetic toward Kadri because he has gotten more scrutiny from the DOPS than other shitheads and hmmmmm I wonder why?? but he is still a shithead who lives to injure people.

e: if the Finals is Avs-Canes and he murders DeAngelo on the ice I say build a statue of him however

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 23, 2022

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lol Lucic as a sly orc. I love it; new rule everything has to be couched in either Tolkien or WH40k descriptors.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Veteran strategy by Brunette. Tale as old as sport, get the boys to hit the club the night before a big game, get sauced and cheat on their wives and get ‘em playing guilty for game 4.

Cats by 3

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Lol Lucic as a sly orc. I love it; new rule everything has to be couched in either Tolkien or WH40k descriptors.

Maybe hold off on that one, "orc" is being slung around by both sides of the Russia-Ukraine conflict as a way to dehumanize the other side (and I'm talking about documented stuff from the actual armed forces so don't think I'm getting mad at you or people on social media or yr gran.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

Veteran strategy by Brunette. Tale as old as sport, get the boys to hit the club the night before a big game, get sauced and cheat on their wives and get ‘em playing guilty for game 4.

Cats by 3

Right? They’re playing so tight and look unhappy. Get them loose and see if they start flying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Get covid from a Tampa nightclub, breathe on Tampa's top players.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

Starsfan posted:

Douglas Murray was infamous for renting a limo during breaks between games to take him to San Francisco where he'd drink, dance, and party for days on end and return to practice none worse for the wear.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Cats by 3
:hmmyes:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
What a dumb rear end in a top hat, won't even condemn death threats against a player.
https://twitter.com/DMacRadio/status/1528778480464412673

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You know what will help the Panthers win a game?

https://www.nhl.com/news/joe-thornton-to-make-panthers-playoff-debut/c-334268568?tid=334055692

an 85 year old man who won the Art Ross trophy when George W Bush was president.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Arivia posted:

Maybe hold off on that one, "orc" is being slung around by both sides of the Russia-Ukraine conflict as a way to dehumanize the other side (and I'm talking about documented stuff from the actual armed forces so don't think I'm getting mad at you or people on social media or yr gran.)

just one is okay?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1528869721596391424?s=20&t=rbsF2aOe3gkdBSJyh4XM9w
lol

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
This is the leadership Giroux provides, good trade

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Wonder if Giroux was a Lou Turk's kinda guy

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I don't understand why it's okay for the NBA and NFL, but not the NHL. Get on board, they're going to take a nap anyway.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Goddamn lightning radio is the worst.

Phil Esposito is a huge whiner and always spoils anything exciting a half second before the play by play guy can get it out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I had the misfortune to listen to Esposito because I was out of local coverage driving home and dear lord it was painful.

I get the feeling Joe is in tonight to give him his final game.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I saw Lucic partying on Broadway in Nashville the night before the Oilers played and he was real hosed up and pissed all over himself and his play was indistinguishable from any other game he played that year!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattsbetweetin/status/1528856089701322753?s=21&t=tPtetjzBXztaCbvnZL4Rmw

lmfao

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Arivia posted:

Oh, next you're gonna tell me I can't call him Quasimodo just because he has Scheuermann's disease!

No but seriously Lucic does a good enough job of dehumanizing himself. As do we all in the playoffs.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I feel completely unsurprised that Florida turned out to be a paper tiger

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Levitate posted:

I feel completely unsurprised that Florida turned out to be a paper tiger

a paper panther

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Pat Maroon might win 4 rings in a row

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

shyduck posted:

Pat Maroon might win 4 rings in a row

Pat Maroon might win a regular Cup, a Cup in a Covid bubble, a Cup with limited fans, and then another regular Cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

just one is okay?

whatever this is, it's rad