Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Just ordered a semi-custom cabinet for records and whatnot. It will have to also hold the TV for now, but once I get the TV mounted the record player will go on it.

This, but in dark walnut, with backing and in a slightly different size than what is offered. I'd been wanting to replace my TV stand anyway and my current record storage situation sucks. Sweet.

They were great working with me so I can get exactly what I wanted! Looking forward to getting this bad boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, just dumping a bunch of nice pics here, nothing that special. Apparently a pretty good collection of old stuff got donated at the Goodwill, an emphasis on organ recordings. I don't usually bother with much stuff like that but this was pretty high quality, it appears. And in exc condition, I just took the shrink wrap off everything. I only now noticed the labels on some of these, some of these are pretty highly regarded I think. At any rate, once I move, I should be able to set up a proper stereo system. I think really good organs should provide some really excellent samples, for one thing.

This is a 3-record box, and the vinyl is very heavy. Dig that artwork.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

This one's cool

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Virgil Vox posted:

This one's cool

It is, it's a foil cover too, BTW. And I feel pretty certain I've hit a goldmine of found sounds.

ON THE OTHER HAND,

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I really hope that's where Scott Thompson got the name Buddy Cole

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

Maybe records should have pockets…

An album cover is basically a pocket if you think about it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

German mainstays Die Ärzte sold one of their albums in an electric blue plush pouch, if that isn't a pocket then I don't know what is.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

My stylish new cassette deck

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

IIRC, Nonesuch is still considered a good label to buy. I also mistakenly thought the "Segovia" was because of Andre, but not at all. Learn something new every day.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

IIRC, Nonesuch is still considered a good label to buy. I also mistakenly thought the "Segovia" was because of Andre, but not at all. Learn something new every day.

I think Nonesuch classical was mostly a budget label but they had incredible graphic design and I have way too many of them.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I think Nonesuch classical was mostly a budget label but they had incredible graphic design and I have way too many of them.

Except for this one, LOL

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Except for this one, LOL

Really? I love that.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

petit choux posted:

My stylish new cassette deck

thought this was a microwave at first

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

spinst posted:

Just ordered a semi-custom cabinet for records and whatnot. It will have to also hold the TV for now, but once I get the TV mounted the record player will go on it.

This, but in dark walnut, with backing and in a slightly different size than what is offered. I'd been wanting to replace my TV stand anyway and my current record storage situation sucks. Sweet.

They were great working with me so I can get exactly what I wanted! Looking forward to getting this bad boy.

That looks great. Price is pretty good too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

That looks great. Price is pretty good too.

I think the price on the website is for a tiny one. It gets expensive pretty quick

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

BigFactory posted:

I think the price on the website is for a tiny one. It gets expensive pretty quick

I ordered a 46" wide one and it ran about 650 after the upcharge for adding the backing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I honestly thought I would never again be involved in a sale where I'd walk away with something way cheaper than it sells for. I figured everything up for sale, especially in retail shops, would be discogsed and ebayed to within an inch of its life and then marked up 10% before being put on the rack

five bucks

FIVE

it's not like a million-dollar sale, copies are on discogs for like twenty bucks to seventy-five, but it's not a common record by any stretch

also got today:

B.A.D. - This is Big Audio Dynamite
B.O.C. - Agents of Fortune
Yes - Yesterdays
V/A - Attack of the Killer B's

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 23, 2022

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Nice! Moxy owns.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Went by a Barnes & Noble and saw this nonsense:

LOL talk about avoiding inflation.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Here's the bins of records I'm going to attempt to sell at a garage sale this summer. It's a pretty wide range of stuff. The last box is just junk records I got at an auction a few months ago. I'll probably make those free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCik-SLkq2A

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

wa27 posted:

Here's the bins of records I'm going to attempt to sell at a garage sale this summer. It's a pretty wide range of stuff. The last box is just junk records I got at an auction a few months ago. I'll probably make those free.

On the whole better stuff than I had to sell. Also dang a nice copy of Herb Alpert's Going Places. And I guess that wasn't the John Denver Album with Old Country Roads on it, is that even still a tiktok meme song these days? I should really get back to record clean out part two electric boogaloo, but my motivation is dead after this weekend plus I got lots of non record junk to sort through as well that's killing my desire to tackle it all.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Went by a Barnes & Noble and saw this nonsense:

LOL talk about avoiding inflation.

drat, I shouldn't have given away 2 of my boxsets. Lol

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

wa27 posted:

If you wanna thrift sale a few of those through the mail I would be interested in a handful from crate 2 and even one from 3

Sonny Boy Williamson
Herb's Goin' Places!! (i cannot seem to get a good copy of this)
Howard Jones
All three from my boy Leon Redbone
Elvin Bishop
Punch and Judy sure why not

Shoot me a PM if you're interested!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is there any recommendations on how to clean vinyl? I’ve tried looking up a hood, non-wallet murdering way but everyone seems to have their own way while saying every other way is horrible. I’ve seen people recommend spin cleans, other people say those are horrible and the only way is with an ultra sonic cleaner, then someone will say that’s an awful method and the only real method is a wet vac style system. I’m not looking to clean like fifty at a time, just one or two as needed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is there any recommendations on how to clean vinyl? I’ve tried looking up a hood, non-wallet murdering way but everyone seems to have their own way while saying every other way is horrible. I’ve seen people recommend spin cleans, other people say those are horrible and the only way is with an ultra sonic cleaner, then someone will say that’s an awful method and the only real method is a wet vac style system. I’m not looking to clean like fifty at a time, just one or two as needed.

Budget?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’ve gone from just a rag and that spray on cleaner to spin clean to squeaky clean to ultrasonic. It all depends on the budget but I’d only ever recommend a wet vac or ultrasonic cleaning system at this point. You get the best results from those two but the ultrasonic is the most hands off and most noticeable difference post cleaning between those two.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

Heh, Cock Robin.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A Spin Clean is perfectly fine if you're on a budget. But if you can spend a bit more I'd recommend the Record Doctor V. I got one a couple years ago and it's great. It's the cheapest option as far as vacuum cleaning machines. There is also a newer model (The Record Doctor VI) with a few upgrades but they're minor enough that I think it's probably not worth the extra hundred bucks and from what I hear some of those things were added to later models of the RD V. It retails for 200 bucks. It's dramatically cheaper than other vacuum machines because it doesn't have the bells and whistles and you have to rotate the thing by hand instead of it being motorized. I sincerely regret that I didn;t get one years ago. The thing works miracles.

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/record-doctor-v-record-cleaning-machine

A heads up though, it's a bit loud because it is a vacuum after all. So be aware of that.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I got a bunch of surface-level grime off a couple records recently with just a microfibre glasses cleaning cloth and some warm, (slightly) soapy water and it improved them heaps. definitely worth a try if you don't need to get deep in the grooves

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Try to use distilled or as clean as water as you can get. Distilled + a little simple green and the softest cloth you have will work on a budget.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Super Cheap: Soak a towel with hot tap water (distilled is a myth unless you live in a place with lovely water), grip the disc, and rotate. Do this for both sides, then do it again with the not wet part of the towel to dry it off. Sound quality should go up at least half a grade this way.

Not "Cheap" But Not Bankbreaking: Want to perform CPR on grimy records that sound like popcorn? 3D printed vacuum like the Squeaky Clean III with a mini shop vac should help. Per side, I do 1st pass with 8 spritzes of Vinyl-Zyme then a 2nd with water. The vacuum won't take out EVERYTHING, but the disc should at least go up a full grade minimum.

Cheap Desperate "Cling For Dear Life" Method: Wood glue. If done wrong your record passes away, BUT chances are if you're resorting to this, your record is unlistinable anyways so might as well give it a shot.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 24, 2022

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

On the whole better stuff than I had to sell. Also dang a nice copy of Herb Alpert's Going Places. And I guess that wasn't the John Denver Album with Old Country Roads on it, is that even still a tiktok meme song these days? I should really get back to record clean out part two electric boogaloo, but my motivation is dead after this weekend plus I got lots of non record junk to sort through as well that's killing my desire to tackle it all.

At one point I decided to buy an actually good copy of each Herb Alpert album I could get for $1. I stopped after a couple :effort:

That John Denver sleeve is missing the record, I just realized. When it comes to him, I'm satisfied having a greatest hits album and his live album.

It's fun to get rid of stuff!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Super Cheap: Soak a towel with hot tap water (distilled is a myth unless you live in a place with lovely water), grip the disc, and rotate. Do this for both sides, then do it again with the not wet part of the towel to dry it off. Sound quality should go up at least half a grade this way.

Not "Cheap" But Not Bankbreaking: Want to perform CPR on grimy records that sound like popcorn? 3D printed vacuum like the Squeaky Clean III with a mini shop vac should help. Per side, I do 1st pass with 8 spritzes of Vinyl-Zyme then a 2nd with water. The vacuum won't take out EVERYTHING, but the disc should at least go up a full grade minimum.

Cheap Desperate "Cling For Dear Life" Method: Wood glue. If done wrong your record passes away, BUT chances are if you're resorting to this, your record is unlistinable anyways so might as well give it a shot.

The tap water where I live is so full of minerals that I've had to take apart a faucet, soak it in CLR for a few hours, and then scrub it out with a metal wire because the whole inside of it was almost completely clogged with hardened calcium. I've also had to take off the shower head and soak it in CLR more than once. Records are expensive, a gallon jug of of distilled water costs a buck.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Yeah... hot tap water is not a good idea. Heat is bad for records.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Wood glue method will give a nice deep clean on the cheap. You just need the stuff that dries as a film rather than hard. Titebond 2 is apparently the way to go

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

screaden posted:

Wood glue method will give a nice deep clean on the cheap. You just need the stuff that dries as a film rather than hard. Titebond 2 is apparently the way to go

Wood glue isn’t exactly cheap and it looks like you need to use a lot of it for it to work.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, after nearly 3 weeks in transit, I finally got the new Arcade Fire album, this was a special edition preorder one. Sadly, it's a little banged up, which I'm not surprised by given how long it seemed to be lost in the mail. The vinyl itself seems to be in good shape though.

That said, I emailed customer service last week saying that it seemed to be lost in the mail, and they're apparently sending me a replacement copy, which is due to be delivered this Friday according to the tracking number.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 24, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Today in Adventures in Record Complaining Collecting!

This old lady I came across invited me to her house to look through some records she had to sell me. So I trekked all the way to her house which is about 30 minutes from where I live. As soon as a I get there the first thing she tells me is "I don't know anything about music.". So she leads me into the work shed where the records are and holds up this Chicago box set that she excitedly tells me is worth 95 bucks. She told me she looked up prices for some stuff and I asked her where and she just said "Online.". I asked her if they were sold prices and she just kind of stared vacantly so that was off to a good start. So I get to looking through the poo poo and eventually make my stack. She noticed a Tom Petty album and went "I have to see what this is worth." and disappears into her house and then comes back to tell me "It's 36 bucks." I asked hger where she got that price "I googled sold prices.". So then I explained to her about discogs and different pressings. I took out my phone and showed her the median price and explained how it works and she just stared vacantly. I also showed and explained Popsike. So after all that I asked her what she wants and she said "I don't know.". I lowballed her because I intended to haggle. I was willing to give her much more than my offer but I never give my top number first obviously. So I asked her again what she'd want if ym offer was not agreeable and she continued to say "I don't know I'll have to have my friend look them up.". So I left with nothing. But before I did I offered her 15 bucks for a copy of Harvest and she refused and then said "That's got to be worth a lot of money.". There were a couple green label WB Sabbath albums in there and I would bet money on the fact she's going to look those up and see the Vertigo prices and think they're worth hundreds.

I looked up that Chicago box set on Discogs and you can easily get it for ten bucks (or even less if you don't want the poster).

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Shame that lady didn't understand what she was seeing online for price, I don't blame you for walking away on that one. Eventually if enough people just walk away when someone whips out a phone or goes to the computer to "check" people will stop doing that right? I find the whip out the phone thing breaks the momentum with the interaction and just tells me the seller didn't prepare for selling their items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Turbinosamente posted:

I find the whip out the phone thing...just tells me the seller didn't prepare for selling their items.

This is exactly what I was gonna say! At least do that poo poo before the potential buyer shows up, if not before even putting the items up for sale.