Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
I have a flooring/caulk question.

My house has 2x6 T&G yellow pine floors that are ~20 years old. They're in pretty good shape but there are some significant (~1/4") gaps between some, and I'd like to do something to fill them so it is easier to clean and they don't collect as much junk. I'm thinking some sort of mildly elastic caulk. They are old enough that they aren't going to be moving much, but there's still seasonal expansion/contraction so I don't want something too rigid. At the same time I'd love it if I could find something relatively hard feeling.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m moving out of my (rented) apartment and I ripped the drywall when removing some adhesives that were supposed to come off easily. Oops! I don’t have time to fix it. What do you all think a rough estimate to patch and fix with matching paint? Just want to make sure my landlord doesn’t try to stick me with trumped up charges.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

2 hours, if I'm being really generous? Also assuming I'm correctly interpreting the scale here and those spots are like, 4" square.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Sirotan posted:

2 hours, if I'm being really generous? Also assuming I'm correctly interpreting the scale here and those spots are like, 4" square.

Ahh yes, I meant to mention. Each of those is about 2” by 2”

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Yooper posted:

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Profiles/For-Walls/c/P-FW

Most of the transition profiles are designed to be put on before the paneling would be in place. With some cautious work you could probably transition it quite nicely. Find your local tile place, not the Menards Lowes Depot, and tell them what you're doing. They will point you to exactly the perfect transition product and the price for everything will be about the same as the box store.

I'd have no worries about the cedar unless you plan on doing steam sauna. I just put in eastern white cedar on the ceiling of my bathroom and I live in a humid continental climate. We do have a small fan, but I'd take ridiculous low humidity if it were here.

Oh these nice

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Haha gross. The dishwasher has smelled bad for like a week and then I realized it was leaking. I pulled it out from under the counter and there was a ton of old mouse poo poo. Anyway, I can't figure out why it's leaking. No obvious problem with the hoses and the drain thing is still working so I guess we're getting a new dishwasher.
We discussed it and agreed we hate the old diswasher so me sweating and shouting at it isn't worth it. Time to see if anyone will sell me a Bosch 800, if I can convince the fiance. Also this way I can make sure that it's got a GFI somewhere in the chain.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Harriet Carker posted:

I’m moving out of my (rented) apartment and I ripped the drywall when removing some adhesives that were supposed to come off easily. Oops! I don’t have time to fix it. What do you all think a rough estimate to patch and fix with matching paint? Just want to make sure my landlord doesn’t try to stick me with trumped up charges.

A rental you say?

Have you tried toothpaste? Jk.

Call and ask your landlord if they plan to repaint. If so, you could always just slap some mud on it, sand it and leave it. They might not charge you. If you're worried about them charging you, go the extra step and get a color match and paint it. The whole thing might take you an hour.

Since you said you can't do the work, maybe they'll charge you $100? Off your deposit ... Depends on what kind of landlord you have. If they're going to nickel and dime you, maybe more. If they're cool, they probably won't at all.

Besides, it's not like they're going to hire a drywall pro to do such a small job. It's easily doable by a handyman or painter who might be in the place between tenants anyway.

If you owned it, I would suggest fixing it correctly but since it's a rental who cares.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Strong recommend that ya’ll never have a glass shower door shatter on you if you can help it. What a loving mess.

Also, it took me fifteen minutes just to extricate myself from the shower without further injury. And the replacement is gonna be like $800.

:suicide:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ugh, that sounds terrible. What caused it?

Harriet Carker posted:

That's an afternoon job with some quick dry spackle. My biggest concern would be matching the paint if you don't have any.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

slidebite posted:

Look man, sometimes Superman forgets to aim in the right direction and things happen.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

One of the wheel clamps must’ve come loose and it bottomed out. (Normally it was fully suspended from the top rail.) I’m assuming this since one clamp was full of glass bits, and the other was complete clean.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

That's an afternoon job with some quick dry spackle. My biggest concern would be matching the paint if you don't have any.

Yeah that would take a painter like 5 minutes. I assume they will paint anyways so if they try to charge you for it argue it as normal Wear & tear. It’s a little bit more work than a nail hole from hanging a picture, but not that much more work

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 24, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

His Divine Shadow posted:

This is why my next house will be a log house. If I ever move, it'll be to a farm with a 1800s long house.

This popped up in my municipality, 45 000€
https://www.etuovi.com/kohde/21802075?haku=M1841663367

Lots of extra buildings

Kitchen has firewood stoves:

Pros
-Solid looking log house
-The chimneys look totally fresh and rebuilt
-Kitchen has a wood fired stove
-Plenty of secondary buildings that can be turned into workshops

Cons
-The upper floor has not been made livable so it's only a 70m2 house

-Open fireplaces but no pönttöuunis. Open fireplaces loving suck efficiency wise. It might be a design with smoke channels none the less which would make it a pseudo-pönttöuuni, but not as efficient as a proper one.

-The kitchen is looking incredibly bare boned, no counter tops or wall cabinets. The house in general would need an internal overhaul and the upper floor made livable.

-No water, no plumbing, there's an outhouse. All can be had it claims, as well as fiber, but all three would add another 10k.

-No waterborne heating, all heating is done via the old fashioned fireplaces. A wood fired boiler with radiators would've been the ideal.

-The property is huge with fields and some forest, but the seller will not sell it, you just get the houses, he will cut it down to a 3000m2 property which sucks big time. A deal breaker sadly. Turning a historic farm property into a sort of modern suburb property...

-Another deal breaker is there's another house on the property that belongs to someone else. So we'd have to live with someone else right in our face, and I checked the maps and the property lines cross over the outhouses.

-It's also museum classified so you can't do whatever you like to the house. Everything hsa to match the spirit of the house so who knows if it's even possible to fit a wood boiler, or plumbing.

Still it was an interesting find, but too many cons for me to seriously consider it. Partiuclarly when I am so happy with my current house and lot. But it's attractive to find something similar, since I could become debt free if I sold my current place found something like this.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I am moving into a house this week that we have inherited, and that I have been working on, on and off, for about a couple of years now. Part of the inheritance is taking care of my mother in law, a mostly deaf person with a rare genetic disorder that has caused her vision to degrade in a number of particular ways; She has something like a 10 degree field of vision with a very poor ability to make out colors. She can be easily overwhelmed by bright light sometimes, but generally needs the light to be just as bright as she can possibly tolerate.

Because that seems to vary immensely based on the time of the day, the lighting conditions in the room, the amount of sleep she's been getting, etc, etc, etc, I'd really like to get some kind of lighting system set up that can be adjusted on the fly, preferably without having to get up and get to the light switch. Smart bulbs look like a good option that doesn't necessarily require me to replace fixtures, something I haven't really looked into how to tackle yet. I have never been interested in the whole smart home thing before, but it really, really makes sense in making the home more accessible for my mother in law.

I would really appreciate any recommendations in this area, I have no idea what I should be buying! I am willing to spend on this project, at this point, I have sunk so much time and money into this house, what's another few hundred dollars, really? I'd like her to actually see what all this effort (and money!) was working toward, haha.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Has anyone used adjustable paving supports for a floating paver patio? How do you deal with the edge of the patio to conceal the supports and steps. I need to make a patio that is about 7m wide and 1.2m deep with a step all the way round three sides (doors from house on the fourth side) and there is a current patio at low height that is good enough to build off and the adjustables seem like a good way to do this, but I don't understand how to deal with the steps.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm close to buying a stove, and the Frigidaire induction model (GCRI3058AF and FGIH3047VF) I'm looking at has two versions; one with back-mounted controls and one with front. The front-mounted is about $200. Cost aside, I'm not sure which I prefer. We've got two young kids so safety is a concern, but it's induction, which is already relatively safe. I'm not sure which would get dirtier either. What do you guys think?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Mirthless posted:

I am moving into a house this week that we have inherited, and that I have been working on, on and off, for about a couple of years now. Part of the inheritance is taking care of my mother in law, a mostly deaf person with a rare genetic disorder that has caused her vision to degrade in a number of particular ways; She has something like a 10 degree field of vision with a very poor ability to make out colors. She can be easily overwhelmed by bright light sometimes, but generally needs the light to be just as bright as she can possibly tolerate.

Because that seems to vary immensely based on the time of the day, the lighting conditions in the room, the amount of sleep she's been getting, etc, etc, etc, I'd really like to get some kind of lighting system set up that can be adjusted on the fly, preferably without having to get up and get to the light switch. Smart bulbs look like a good option that doesn't necessarily require me to replace fixtures, something I haven't really looked into how to tackle yet. I have never been interested in the whole smart home thing before, but it really, really makes sense in making the home more accessible for my mother in law.

I would really appreciate any recommendations in this area, I have no idea what I should be buying! I am willing to spend on this project, at this point, I have sunk so much time and money into this house, what's another few hundred dollars, really? I'd like her to actually see what all this effort (and money!) was working toward, haha.
Smart bulbs are a pain in the rear end in general imo, but especially unfit for an older person with limited vision. I wonder if you could go the opposite direction and fix her up with something just for her, like a portable ott light with a rheostat, or a super bright headlamp.

Fwiw, swapping out light fixtures is very easy, I just don't think it would help with this issue. One thing to remember is LEDs use a lot less power for equivalent lumens, so if a fixture is marked 40W, for example, you can use a much brighter LED.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
This looks to be a memorial day sale at a few places.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-27-0...20243591?NCNI-5

Looking for input, it seems to check some boxes I've picked up reading the thread: not Samsung, no through door dispenser, no refrigerator compartment ice maker. Anything I'm missing? We've been wanting to get rid of the side by side our house came with and this is pretty tempting.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

Smart bulbs are a pain in the rear end in general imo, but especially unfit for an older person with limited vision. I wonder if you could go the opposite direction and fix her up with something just for her, like a portable ott light with a rheostat, or a super bright headlamp.

Fwiw, swapping out light fixtures is very easy, I just don't think it would help with this issue. One thing to remember is LEDs use a lot less power for equivalent lumens, so if a fixture is marked 40W, for example, you can use a much brighter LED.

We already have point solutions for her to use herself, and I'm not worried about her fidgeting with the app so much; I'm comfortable with configuring the settings and figuring out what is going to be more comfortable for her as we go, but right now I am needing the following things, desperately:

1. The ability to adjust light temperature per fixture or bulb
2. The ability to adjust lumens per fixture or bulb
3. Voice/Percussive commands
4. Automated scheduling for dimming/light temperature adjustments (so, once we figure out where the sweet spots are, we can set it and forget it)

I just bit the bullet and spent a thousand god drat dollars on Philips Hue. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 25, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm close to buying a stove, and the Frigidaire induction model (GCRI3058AF and FGIH3047VF) I'm looking at has two versions; one with back-mounted controls and one with front. The front-mounted is about $200. Cost aside, I'm not sure which I prefer. We've got two young kids so safety is a concern, but it's induction, which is already relatively safe. I'm not sure which would get dirtier either. What do you guys think?
I personally prefer rear controls. I like that if you get any spit/splash on the back from a pot/pan the surface is a quick wipe. Depending on your backsplash (grout?) may not be as easy to clean.

It's probably personal preference at the end of the day, but I do like Frigidaire ranges. Never used an induction though, but I like their gas.

CancerCakes posted:

Has anyone used adjustable paving supports for a floating paver patio? How do you deal with the edge of the patio to conceal the supports and steps. I need to make a patio that is about 7m wide and 1.2m deep with a step all the way round three sides (doors from house on the fourth side) and there is a current patio at low height that is good enough to build off and the adjustables seem like a good way to do this, but I don't understand how to deal with the steps.
I built a deck once with them, I don't think I'd do it again. It was easier to build from the start but not having a proper footing I did need to adjust the height every year or two as things settled.

I personally wouldn't worry about enclosing it because you'll probably need access to them periodically. I guess a guy could make a narrow quasi 2x4 wall or something that's attached on 2 sides and remove with siding treatment of your choosing? Or something like a strip of privacy trellis?
I think a heritage home is one of those things that sound cool, but in practice living in one that you can't significantly modify, gently caress that.

Mirthless posted:

I too am not a fan of smart bulbs (or basically anything that it IoT), but in this case it might be a reasonable thing to try. The lower K temp lights might help too IE: 2700k vs 5000k. I find them easier on my eyes at least.

Buy a couple and see how they work?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

slidebite posted:

I personally prefer rear controls. I like that if you get any spit/splash on the back from a pot/pan the surface is a quick wipe. Depending on your backsplash (grout?) may not be as easy to clean.

It's probably personal preference at the end of the day, but I do like Frigidaire ranges. Never used an induction though, but I like their gas.

I built a deck once with them, I don't think I'd do it again. It was easier to build from the start but not having a proper footing I did need to adjust the height every year or two as things settled.

I personally wouldn't worry about enclosing it because you'll probably need access to them periodically. I guess a guy could make a narrow quasi 2x4 wall or something that's attached on 2 sides and remove with siding treatment of your choosing? Or something like a strip of privacy trellis?

I think a heritage home is one of those things that sound cool, but in practice living in one that you can't significantly modify, gently caress that.

I too am not a fan of smart bulbs (or basically anything that it IoT), but in this case it might be a reasonable thing to try. The lower K temp lights might help too IE: 2700k vs 5000k. I find them easier on my eyes at least.

Buy a couple and see how they work?

:black101:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I've cooked on a (gas) stove with back mounted controls and it was awful because you had to reach over/around whatever you were cooking in order to operate the stove and getting blasted with heat from both food and flame (possibly less of a problem with the induction because you don't have the flame contributing to the heat), and splattered by greasy stuff or rolling boils. Seemed like it would be even worse for short people.

Also button controls suck so I'd make sure to get something with dials.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hue chat: For the most part I like my Hue bulbs. I use automated wake up and go to sleep routines (I do wish their minimum brightness was lower because even the lowest brightness basically wakes me up right away) and I love being able to control the lights anywhere in the house with voice commands. I really enjoy using a warmer color temperature and dimmer light as the evening wears on. I feel like it's a really nice way to help my brain know bedtime is coming.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Harriet Carker posted:

Hue chat: For the most part I like my Hue bulbs. I use automated wake up and go to sleep routines (I do wish their minimum brightness was lower because even the lowest brightness basically wakes me up right away) and I love being able to control the lights anywhere in the house with voice commands. I really enjoy using a warmer color temperature and dimmer light as the evening wears on. I feel like it's a really nice way to help my brain know bedtime is coming.

I've personally always wanted a system like this for this very reason, I just couldn't justify spending $25-30 a bulb until I actually needed to, because I am cheap as hell. I've got some nice bulbs for my painting areas (high lumen full spectrum bulbs) but everything else in the house has always been $1/bulb stuff from whatever chinese lightbulb company is folding this month, scooped by the armful from local closeout stores

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Harriet Carker posted:

I scored a lot of lightly used Hues from a commercial space, around 30 can-light bulbs (BR30?) and 10 or so regular ones, and I echo this a thousand percent. Daylight brightness dropping to incandescent as time goes on is really nice. I wish Apple's dynamic color temperature on Homekit was better, but for some reason it makes all the colors a little bit off--so instead I use the Hue app to set the colors and have then just saved a bunch of presets to nudge through as time goes on. It also helps me keep a consistent bedtime--when the lights in my office go out, it's time for bed.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

slidebite posted:

The UK has a major issue with houses being Grade 1 or 2 listed: grade 1 is rare, but pretty much any house can be grade 2 listed if it meets certain requirements: architectural interest (sufficiently old or an example of a craft, even if it is a craft that is common in the area) or historic interest (someone famous lived there). Hilariously enough, you don't have to own or be involved with the property at all to get it listed, which means that annoying nimbyish local historians just list poo poo all the time.

Once on the register it is a pain to get them off, because they can only be removed with assent by the Secretary of state for culture (DCMS) - i.e. a government minister who doesn't give a poo poo.

Listing makes upgrading the home to be actually livable really hard, but is a selling point in estate agent listings to lure in the idiots.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

slidebite posted:

Yeah I'd rather have one that is not classified as such. I mean I want to keep the house as close as possible to the old style so I would actually follow such guidelines, to a point.

I don't know what kind of limits there are. I mean indoor plumbing is a must, a modern bathroom (or two) is a must, the outbuildings probably also need updating. The kitchen needs to be upgraded to a modern standard with cabinets and benches and stuff (but in such a way it works with the wood fired parts and doesn't look too modern). The old style woooden windows are the best so no changes there, just need to be kept in shape & maintained.

But the fact that the fields and forests is not included and the loving neighbor in the same yard, are deal breakers.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hey I just bought this stove like 4 months ago or something! We got the front controls because we thought they were more convenient. I don't think the control part gets any dirtier than having it along the back.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tremors posted:

This looks to be a memorial day sale at a few places.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-27-0...20243591?NCNI-5

Looking for input, it seems to check some boxes I've picked up reading the thread: not Samsung, no through door dispenser, no refrigerator compartment ice maker. Anything I'm missing? We've been wanting to get rid of the side by side our house came with and this is pretty tempting.

I'm also thinking about a new fridge this weekend, and I'm looking at this very similar model from LG https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elec...7626S/312284852

Hoping someone has experience with the LG ice makers in this tier, I'm tired of broken lovely ice makers but also tired of buying bags of ice or refilling trays.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Mirthless posted:

We already have point solutions for her to use herself, and I'm not worried about her fidgeting with the app so much; I'm comfortable with configuring the settings and figuring out what is going to be more comfortable for her as we go, but right now I am needing the following things, desperately:

1. The ability to adjust light temperature per fixture or bulb
2. The ability to adjust lumens per fixture or bulb
3. Voice/Percussive commands
4. Automated scheduling for dimming/light temperature adjustments (so, once we figure out where the sweet spots are, we can set it and forget it)

I just bit the bullet and spent a thousand god drat dollars on Philips Hue. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I have my beefs with Hue but it was very good at most of these things when we had it in our place. Voice controls weren't built in, they used Google/Alexa/Apple and for Google at least the connection/authorization could be spotty.

It's an expensive system and I'm just not knowledgeable enough about other smart lighting to have a good idea how it compares.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I've had both it and Lifx and I thought the color temperature settings for Lifx were universally awful. They felt really washed-out and gross--I didn't like being in the room.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

getting another estimate for walk-in shower conversion

estimate was 9k at the end of 2020, now it's 10.5k lol

has anyone else worked with a place where they ask you to "do stuff" despite the fact that you are paying them thousands of dollars, this one person was like, would you like to come pick up the sample, it's like no please bring it over here, I am paying you ten thousand dollars for this project

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

getting another estimate for walk-in shower conversion

estimate was 9k at the end of 2020, now it's 10.5k lol

has anyone else worked with a place where they ask you to "do stuff" despite the fact that you are paying them thousands of dollars, this one person was like, would you like to come pick up the sample, it's like no please bring it over here, I am paying you ten thousand dollars for this project
I'm sure they will be glad to bring you the sample for their $100/hr hourly rate. One thing contractors really hate doing is running errands.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I managed to somehow clip the left edge of this quarter round with my foot, and broke a foot-long piece of like a 15 foot long section off.

Would you all recommend I feed that dumb missed nail back into the drywall (it missed the baseboard when the drunk builders were working 20 years ago) and apply super glue to the broken off portion, then touch up paint?

Or should I have a pro rip out the entire quarter round and replace the thing? I also dunno if it was painted or if it is a standard available pre-painted color.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm sure they will be glad to bring you the sample for their $100/hr hourly rate. One thing contractors really hate doing is running errands.

they dropped it off and will pick it up later, but like, yeah for that much money i'm not doing that, i'm hiring you

also this person asked if i wanted to come by and see the sample in their office, it's like... it's going to be in my kitchen. i need to see it in my kitchen :dafuq:

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 25, 2022

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Hey I just bought this stove like 4 months ago or something! We got the front controls because we thought they were more convenient. I don't think the control part gets any dirtier than having it along the back.

How have you found the button controls? I'd much prefer dials but basically every model with those is a grand more.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Reaching over hot pans to control burners is miserable. You can always get safety covers for the knobs on the front if you are worried about tiny hands reaching up at them.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

We have the front controls model being delivered tomorrow. Our current stove has the raised back panel (but controls on the front :wtc:), and sometimes it gets crowded if I'm making something that uses all four burners. Having that bit of extra space for more functional room on the stove without the raised back was the deciding factor for me.

The one downside people mentioned for the front controls was they're very sensitive, so sometimes get bumped accidentally. Could see that being a downside with kids, even with the induction thing not being as bad as open flame.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I haven't found the front button sensitivity a problem at all. It takes a good second, second and a half to turn anything on/off. Less time to adjust the levels once it's on.

How have you found the button controls? I'd much prefer dials but basically every model with those is a grand more.

I definitely have only used dials before so it took some getting used to, but the buttons are great. Way easier to clean, really easy to tell from near or far if something is turned on/off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Johnny Truant posted:

really easy to tell from near or far if something is turned on/off.

This is huge. Ours has a light indicating at least one burner is on, but the dials are tough to tell which side is the "front", so if it's vertical you can't tell if it's off or at 1/2 power. My wife was kind enough to put a dot of white on the "pointing" side of each of them, which helped.