Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

AEW Dynamite May 18th
MOTYC
Adam Page vs Konosuke Takeshita
- It's Soup Boy, he doesn't have bad matches. Not at the tier of his main event matches over the last year but still very good

AEW Rampage April 8th
MOTYC
Jon Moxley vs Wheeler Yuta
- Very good, my favourite "beat a youngster into your stable" match since Kazusada Higuchi vs Hideki Okatani. Moxley gave him a ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

SG Bamboo posted:

NJPW Best of the Super Jr Night 5 May 21st
MOTYC
Hiromu Takahashi vs Ace Austin
- Ace's best match so far this tournament, fantastic chemitry between these two

HM
Rysuke Taguchi vs Francesco Akira
- Big fan of Akira, and Taguchi is always great when he doesn't lean completely into slapstick

Taiji Ishimori vs Alex Zayne
- Alex Zayne has really impressed me this tour as someone who had never seen him before, and Ishimori brought the effort he should have on the main event of night 1

Yeah agreed

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Robbie Eagles vs. DOUKI, NJPW Best of Super Juniors Night 6, 22/05

Woulda been MOTYC if DOUKI won

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

HM: Robbie Eagles vs. DOUKI, NJPW Best of Super Juniors Night 6, 22/05

Woulda been MOTYC if DOUKI won

2nd

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

It's funny looking at this thread how quickly NOAH pissed away the goodwill it had built up over the last couple of years. 3 MOTYC on the January 1st show, a half one on the 8th vs New Japan, then loving nothing for the rest of the time as bad decision after bad decision turned away the audience here

In fairness I don't think the top of the card has really dropped in quality. Go is still having bangers.

TBH, look at how many MOTYCs AJPW has. None. Goons are weird in what they choose to watch.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

In fairness I don't think the top of the card has really dropped in quality. Go is still having bangers.

TBH, look at how many MOTYCs AJPW has. None. Goons are weird in what they choose to watch.

That was my point. There's still a ton of talent, but people aren't watching anymore because of certain decisions.

Agreed about All Japan, Kento vs Yuma from May 15th is currently my MOTY

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
What did NOAH do that burnt fan goodwill? All I remember is their English commentator having a whinge about Eddie Kingston’s shirt

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It would be interesting to do regular surveys of what promotions everyone is watching so you can see how interest in different companies changes over time

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Seams posted:

What did NOAH do that burnt fan goodwill? All I remember is their English commentator having a whinge about Eddie Kingston’s shirt

First the booking started getting really bad and then they brought in Mike Elgin.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Seams posted:

Old guys winning everything, up and coming talent jobbed out unceremoniously, clique of older wrestlers at the top refusing to job or make people look good, putting a title on noted piece of poo poo Michael Elgin.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Stardom 2.23.2022 Cinderella Journey in Nagaoka. High Speed title match

MOTYC: AZM vs Starlight Kid. These 2 are so outrageously good together. This is probably in my top 3 matches of the year so far.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Seams posted:

At Wrestle Kingdom this year, both of their top singles belts were held by members of Kongoh that were popular (at least with western fans) and had a cracking interpromotional match with LIJ. WIthin a month, both guys had lost their belts to guys 20 years older whilst looking incredibly ineffectual (Kenoh lost his belt in just 4 minutes). Add to that the stories of the veterans being unwilling to put over the younger talent, Hideki Suzuki coming back from WWE and winning the tag belts in his first night back, reports of younger wrestlers being dissatisfied with their ceiling when guys like Fujita, Funaki and Mutoh chump them out.

Plus employing guys like Mike Elgin and Hajime Ohara who are problematic in various ways and completely blanking fans on twitter calling them out about it

e: Oh and they put the Junior Belt back on HAYATA who is a black hole of enjoyment

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 22, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When Suzuki pinned Nakajima he held him down in the pin for like 12 seconds too, just as an added gently caress you to the guy who had been champion only a couple of months earlier at a time when NOAH seemed to be building steam as a promotion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: El Phantasmo vs. Titan, NJPW Best of Super Juniors Night 6, 22/05

Titan's been a lot of fun this tour

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NJPW Best of the Super Jr Night 6 May 22nd
HM
Robbie Eagles vs DOUKI
- Beautiful stuff

TJP vs El Lindaman
- TJP is as good a wrestler as he is a bellend

Titán vs El Phantasmo
- Two guys with great comic timing who are also incredibly gifted athletes

El Desperado vs Wheeler Yuta
- Despy makes up for his stablemate having a rough match with Yuta the other day by having a banger

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Yeah. Probably MOTN but DOUKI is my boy so I'm saying he and Robbie had it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: El Desperado vs. Wheeler Yuta, NJPW Best of Super Juniors Night 6, 22/05

Yuta gets his big moment in Japan and puts on a hell of a show with New Japan's other junior Ace

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

SG Bamboo posted:

HM
Robbie Eagles vs DOUKI
- Beautiful stuff

TJP vs El Lindaman

Titán vs El Phantasmo

- Despy makes up for his stablemate having a rough match with Yuta the other day by having a banger

Nth all these, but MOTYC El Desperado vs. Wheeler Yuta

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

SG Bamboo posted:

2nd to both. Really enjoyed both matches but wanted different winners :mad:.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

SG Bamboo posted:

HM
Robbie Eagles vs DOUKI
- Beautiful stuff

TJP vs El Lindaman

Titán vs El Phantasmo

Nth

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
HM: House of Black vs Dark Order (Evil Uno & 10) & Fuego del Sol
HM: Kris Statlander vs Red Velvet
HM: Blackpool Combat Club vs Dante Martin & Matt Sydal

All from AEW Rampage 20.05

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

NJPW Best of the Super Jr Night 5 May 21st
MOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs Ace Austin

HM Taiji Ishimori vs Alex Zayne

Nth these.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
14th May
AJPW Super Power Series Night 1
NEXTREAM (Atsuki Aoyagi & Yuma Aoyagi) vs NEXTREAM (Kento Miyahara & Rising HAYATO)

Kento is one of the very best in the world and Yuma is getting there. And then have such great chemistry together, be it wrestling each other or tagging together. Atsuki & HAYATO are very exciting prospects in their own right. This match is about as good as a preview tag for a title match the following night is going to get

HM
14th May
AJPW Super Power Series Night 1
All Japan Tag Team Titles
Runaway SUPLEX (Shotaro Ashino & Suwama) vs Twin Towers (Kohei Sato & Shuji Ishikawa)

Imma be honest, really didn't expect to nominate any Kohei Sato matches this year but credit where it's due (in this case, Suwama & Shuji but hey, Sato was here)

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SG Bamboo posted:

DDT Road to Cyberfight Festival May 22nd
MOTYC
Kazuki Hirata vs Yuki Ueno
- Magic, everything Hirata touches turns to gold

CDK (Chris Brookes and Masahiro Takanashi) (c) vs Asuka and MAO - KO-D Tag Team Championships
- These teams work so loving well together

HM
Yuki Ishida vs Naomi Yoshimura
- My beloved sumo lad fights hard against an opponent he has no chance of beating, such is the life of a rookie. But he'll keep fighting hard and that big win will eventually come.

Super Hardcore Girls (Carousel♡Shun and Elizabeth♡Toy) vs Prominence (Akane Fujita and Suzu Suzuki)
- Shun and Liz make up for their lack of wrestling experience with a lack of fear. Also Akane attempted to legit murder Shun with a cinderblock, just a delightfully messy fun hardcore match

Burning (Jun Akiyama, Tetsuya Endo, Yuya Koroku and Yusuke Okada) vs Only We (Yuji Hino and Yukio Naya) and DDTeeens (El Unicorn and Illusion)
- It's always great to see the kids wrestle, Uncle Jun's belligerence toward El Unicorn in partucular was great

Eruption (Kazusada Higuchi, Yukio Sakaguchi and Hideki Okatani) vs DAMNTATION T.A (Daisuke Sasaki, MJ Paul and KANON) - KO-D 6-Man Championships
- The vast majority of this match was fantastic aside from when Damnation brought chairs into the ring to cheat and the action ground to a halt

I really hope Takeshita's AEW stuff brings more eyes here to DDT, because there's some loving incredible wrestling that gets lost in the shuffle because it's a "comedy promotion"

nth, but I'm gonna bump the Hardcore Girls vs Prominence match up to MOTYC too. Can't get enough of this lego goblin.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

SG Bamboo posted:

HM
Robbie Eagles vs DOUKI
- Beautiful stuff

TJP vs El Lindaman

Titán vs El Phantasmo

Yeah agreed

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate King of Gate Night 5, 5/22
MOTYC: Kota Minoura vs. Kzy

One of the best matches of last year, still good, even when ran back at House Show Effort.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

NJPW Best of the Super Jr Night 2 May 17th
HM
Wheeler Yuta vs Robbie Eagles
- Very well worked match, Eagles was the more impressive for me but Yuta got to show off some cool stuff including some sort of...standing heel hook from tombstone position?

El Desperado vs Titán
- Blew the main event of night 1 out of the water, very hard fought

2nd these both

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: 11-Team Battle Royale - Hana Kimura Memorial "Bagus!" - 5/23

Complete chaos at first, even the guy who explained the rules had to stop and ask if they made any sense afterwards. But then Ryo Mizunami shows up and suddenly the match kicked into a new gear, and was just a legit cool match with some great spots, funny comedy and cool moments leading into a really neat finish.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 23, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: 11-Team Battle Royale - Hama Kimura Memorial "Bagus!" - 5/23

Complete chaos at first, even the guy who explained the rules had to stop and ask if they made any sense afterwards. But then Ryo Mizunami shows up and suddenly the match kicked into a new gear, and was just a legit cool match with some great spots, funny comedy and cool moments leading into a really neat finish.

Joyful. Just joyful

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

HM: 11-Team Battle Royale - Hama Kimura Memorial "Bagus!" - 5/23

Nth. Japan is very good at turning comedy into legit matches.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kyuusei (Sakura Hirota) vs. Saori Anou, Kaori Yoneyama, Aja Kong & Rina in the Semifinal Handicap Match - Hana Kimura Memorial "Bagus!" 5/23

This was all technically classified as one match, though in reality it was several. But it was an absolute blast, with some wonderful moments including Yu Ishino doing the Oedo Tai dance, Aja Kong wrestling TWO falls, and the unexpected 4th opponent in a wonderful surprise. Lots of comedy, everybody seemed to be truly enjoying themselves, and the crowd was in on the joke and having a great time with it.

MOTYC: Syuri vs. ASUKA - Hana Kimura Memorial "Bagus!" 5/23

I'm not familiar with Syuri but she's obviously hyper-talented, and ASUKA of course is just fantastic, and they had a hell of a main event.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 23, 2022

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

HM: House of Black vs Dark Order (Evil Uno & 10) & Fuego del Sol
HM: Kris Statlander vs Red Velvet
HM: Blackpool Combat Club vs Dante Martin & Matt Sydal

All from the 5/20/22 AEW Rampage.

Kris vs Red was really really good. Red's always been good but maybe a bit unpolished, but her heel turn seems to have done wonders for her. If this was a quick change based off of Leyla getting injured, it's one of the best on-the-fly booking decisions AEW has ever done. Statlander continues to be a beast and my #1 pick to be the next TBS or Women's Champion.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Syuri vs. ASUKA - Hana Kimura Memorial "Bagus!" 5/23

I'm not familiar with Syuri but she's obviously hyper-talented, and ASUKA of course is just fantastic, and they had a hell of a main event.

HM for me. I had possibly unfair expectations coming in, you're talking 2 of the best women in wrestling in 2022 facing off in a singles match for the first time to my knowledge. And what we got was a really good match. Which is fine but I was anticipating ****¾ or higher.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
29th April
Stardom Cinderella Tournament Night 4
Stardom High Speed Title
AZM vs Mei Suruga

This lived up to the name High Speed as it's worked at a crazy pace. Mei & AZM are made for each other. Some great wrestling on display with innovative spots, some nice comedy, and a lot of exciting action. Highly recommended.

MOTYC
29th April
Stardom Cinderella Tournament Night 4
World Of Stardom Title
Syuri vs Himeka

Best Himeka match I've seen, she raised herself to Syuri's level, or at least close to it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Nyla Rose & Emi Sakura vs. Yuka Sakazaki & Skye Blue - AEW Dark Elevation 5/23

What the gently caress this was WAAAAAY better than it had any right to be. Don't sleep on this, it's a wonderful match with an incredible finish.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 24, 2022

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Nyla Rose & Emi Sakura vs. Yuka Sakazaki & Sky Blue - AEW Dark Elevation 5/23

What the gently caress this was WAAAAAY better than it had any right to be. Don't sleep on this, it's a wonderful match with an incredible finish.

Nth. The 3 vets obviously worked as well as you would expect but there was some really nice stuff from Skye Blue here.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Senerio posted:

MOTYC Adam Brooks vs Konosuke Takeshita: DPW Fire Aired 5/20

Nth dpw kills it again

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Nyla Rose & Emi Sakura vs. Yuka Sakazaki & Skye Blue - AEW Dark Elevation 5/23

Holy hell I'm glad this was linked in the AEW thread. I popped huge for the finish. (Nth.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

nth :yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jerusalem posted:

Nth, really good. Between this and last week's Woods/Yuta match on Dark the c-shows have been overdelivering lately.